Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 189
  1. #1
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    18,985

    Arrow Dear DDO Developers & Management: A Plea

    Dear DDO Developers & Management,


    I just wanted to take a moment to make a frank and earnest plea. One I am fearful will lead to nothing, as other sentiments so often have in the past - but one I feel a great need to try despite that.


    It seems almost criminal to me that so close on the heels of this game's 10th Anniversary, there is more vitriol and bitterness on these forums then there as been for a very very long time. Honestly, I think the only time I've seen this level of sustained dissent was the Vague & Mysterious days when we had almost no concrete Dev communications for nearly a year. I don't need to rehash the desperation and anger the community feels over the recent lag issues - one simply has to look at the Recent Threads tab and you can't scroll without seeing more then a few angry posts on the subject.


    Going back to the Vague & Mysterious era I mention above and comparing it to today... the biggest factor is the silence from you, the Developers and Managers.

    There has yet to be one cohesive thread started by anyone in Turbine about this. Not one central place to go to for news, answer, or just empathy. And I honestly feel it is this silence that has bred the toxicity and dissatisfaction. We want to be on your side. That's why we play this game - and many of us have been here for over a decade. We want to be in your corner, take your side, have confidence in your ability to handle this problem. But, when you don't talk to us - we cannot do any of those things. Well, some can - but many cannot.

    Please take the opportunity to tell us something. Anything. Even if it's not news you think we want to hear - dealing with us in any capacity is better then an echoing and persistent silence.




    If you don't think that forthright communication with us, the fans, is a worthwhile endeavor - I will leave you with this, CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwinski's comments from his GDC panel yesterday called Theory and Practice of Gamer-Centric Brand Development: ARTICLE LINK

    CD Projekt RED is the studio behind The Witcher games, and they take pride in their communication with their fans. The article above is a very good read - but this is the part I really want to bring to the fore, "To the issue of talking directly to fans, he pointed to a problem Electronic Arts had with Star Wars Battlefront, and showed a video of angry fan reaction to expensive DLC content for the game. Iwinski made it clear that his issue wasn’t with the DLC itself, but with how EA failed to properly explain its approach to players.

    "The worst thing is silence," he said.
    "


    Dear DDO Developers and Management - the continued silence is doing far more harm then good.
    Talk to us.


    With respect,
    Memnir
    Last edited by Memnir; 03-21-2016 at 03:17 AM.
    “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
    .
    .56541.

  2. #2
    Founder & Hero cdbd3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Escaping Mizzery in the Tavern Attic.
    Posts
    26,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post


    "The worst thing is silence," he said.
    "

    QFT.

    Sure it takes someone time to make, follow, and update a thread on hot topics, but the alternative (dozens of threads on said topic) fuels the flames and looks really bad for anyone new to the game/forum.

    Edit: To clarify: I'm supporting the idea of consolidating all the LAG threads into a single thread of contact.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 03-21-2016 at 04:16 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

  3. #3
    Community Member Lorianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    227

    Default

    I like a lot about that game but the marketing always left me a bit puzzled:

    Do they know who their customer are? Do they know what their customers want? (Both items not necessarily what is claimed here on this forum)
    Do they know what their strengths, weaknesses and most important what their unique selling point is? Or what makes or breaks the game for their customers?
    Do they have any clue about how the "outer appearance" of DDO is to people that haven’t played the game yet? And how the state of the game appears to the people playing it? (And that this are two totally different points..)
    Do they have a strategy for the brand? So many questions…
    “Willy Loman: I don't want change, I want Swiss cheese!”

  4. #4
    Community Member TitusOvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    OP:
    well said, true but sadly hopeless.
    Beste, Titus. | playing since 2009 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher Discord Server: https://discord.gg/AK7RpVC | Toons: Titusovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

  5. #5
    Community Member Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Well said, there's nothing to add.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  6. #6
    Community Member Wizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,433

    Default

    They are not talking because they are lagging irl, obviously
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Well said Memnir.

    If the Execute Producer does not take on his responsibility and start an actual new thread today where he explains the entire situation and tells us what has been going on and what will happen in the near future I very much fear that DDO as we know it is done for.
    Danskerne
    Et dansktalende guild på Ghallanda. Send PM, hvis du er interesseret.

  8. #8
    Hero BurnerD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Dear DDO Developers & Management,


    I just wanted to take a moment to make a frank and earnest plea. One I am fearful will lead to nothing, as other sentiments so often have in the past - but one I feel a great need to try despite that.


    It seems almost criminal to me that so close on the heels of this game's 10th Anniversary, there is more vitriol and bitterness on these forums then there as been for a very very long time. Honestly, I think the only time I've seen this level of sustained dissent was the Vague & Mysterious days when we had almost no concrete Dev communications for nearly a year. I don't need to rehash the desperation and anger the community feels over the recent lag issues - one simply has to look at the Recent Threads tab and you can't scroll without seeing more then a few angry posts on the subject.


    Going back to the Vague & Mysterious era I mention above and comparing it to today... the biggest factor is the silence from you, the Developers and Managers.

    There has yet to be one cohesive thread started by anyone in Turbine about this. Not one central place to go to for news, answer, or just empathy. And I honestly feel it is this silence that has bred the toxicity and dissatisfaction. We want to be on your side. That's why we play this game - and many of us have been here for over a decade. We want to be in your corner, take your side, have confidence in your ability to handle this problem. But, when you don't talk to us - we cannot do any of those things. Well, some can - but many cannot.

    Please take the opportunity to tell us something. Anything. Even if it's not news you think we want to hear - dealing with us in any capacity is better then an echoing and persistent silence.




    If you don't think that forthright communication with us, the fans, is a worthwhile endeavor - I will leave you with this, CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwinski's comments from his GDC panel yesterday called Theory and Practice of Gamer-Centric Brand Development: ARTICLE LINK

    CD Projekt RED is the studio behind The Witcher games, and they take pride in their communication with their fans. The article above is a very good read - but this is the part I really want to bring to the fore, "To the issue of talking directly to fans, he pointed to a problem Electronic Arts had with Star Wars Battlefront, and showed a video of angry fan reaction to expensive DLC content for the game. Iwinski made it clear that his issue wasn’t with the DLC itself, but with how EA failed to properly explain its approach to players.

    "The worst thing is silence," he said.
    "


    Dear DDO Developers and Management - the continued silence is doing far more harm then good.
    Talk to us.


    With respect,
    Memnir



    Agreed. Well said.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

  9. #9

    Default

    /signed
    silence makes people freak out
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main; epic completionist), Naerfelka (farmer), Saelegion (parked level 4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Hope extinguished leaves fading memories of better times.

  10. #10
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame
    Hipparan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Krynn
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Let me assure you that the Devs are not trying to be silent, but there are other things to take into consideration. For one, the Devs have the weekend off, so they generally don't come on the forums on weekends (at least I don't see them on the Dev tracker). Speaking of the Dev tracker, you can see for yourself that they have been talking about the lag issues recently and are trying to fix it. However, when you don't know where to start to fix the problem, you aren't going to fix the problem in a week. Hence, the Devs have been troubleshooting. Also, there are a lot of people angry about the lag issues, me being one of them, but it's difficult to address issues with hundreds of angry fans bearing down on you in separate threads. Hence we have the Player's Council, where the Devs and us chat and it seems silent for everyone else. However, there is a Non-Disclosure Agreement that prevents anyone from the PC from talking details about anything.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    74

    Default

    well said memnir!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Let me assure you that the Devs are not trying to be silent, but there are other things to take into consideration. For one, the Devs have the weekend off, so they generally don't come on the forums on weekends (at least I don't see them on the Dev tracker). Speaking of the Dev tracker, you can see for yourself that they have been talking about the lag issues recently and are trying to fix it. However, when you don't know where to start to fix the problem, you aren't going to fix the problem in a week. Hence, the Devs have been troubleshooting. Also, there are a lot of people angry about the lag issues, me being one of them, but it's difficult to address issues with hundreds of angry fans bearing down on you in separate threads. Hence we have the Player's Council, where the Devs and us chat and it seems silent for everyone else. However, there is a Non-Disclosure Agreement that prevents anyone from the PC from talking details about anything.
    have you had direct discussions with them over the lag?

  12. #12
    Community Member FifthTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The land of ice and snow.
    Posts
    449

    Default

    The Devs have buried their heads in the sand for long enough. What kind of company avoids talking to it's customers when there are issues?

    /signed

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    East coast USA
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    They are not talking because they are lagging irl, obviously
    LOL, next week a whole flurry of responses will come out, but it will be too late and all of the servers will be soul stones

    Memnir, great link, thank you.
    I am profoundly disappointed with the current state and direction of DDO, and my purchasing habits reflect this. A drastic improvement in quality of life, transparency, and honest communication would improve my spending. Promises and "more squeeze" will not.

  14. #14
    Community Member snook59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    143

    Default What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hipparan View Post
    Let me assure you that the Devs are not trying to be silent, but there are other things to take into consideration. For one, the Devs have the weekend off, so they generally don't come on the forums on weekends (at least I don't see them on the Dev tracker). Speaking of the Dev tracker, you can see for yourself that they have been talking about the lag issues recently and are trying to fix it. However, when you don't know where to start to fix the problem, you aren't going to fix the problem in a week. Hence, the Devs have been troubleshooting. Also, there are a lot of people angry about the lag issues, me being one of them, but it's difficult to address issues with hundreds of angry fans bearing down on you in separate threads. Hence we have the Player's Council, where the Devs and us chat and it seems silent for everyone else. However, there is a Non-Disclosure Agreement that prevents anyone from the PC from talking details about anything.
    This is the weakest "excuse" I have seen for the issues we are having. Good gosh, so many words so little said. Do you think because you are on the "counsel" you are obligated to defend the company? If so, say something constructive or give us some news. Please keep the "oh, I know more about what is going on than you do but I'm not going to tell you" to yourself. What are you, a 10 year old kid?

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Well said Memnir.

    The lack of feedback makes it feel as if we the players of DDO and our concerns about our beloved game have been completely trivialized.
    "The sword itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with swords."



  16. #16
    Community Member Loromir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Dear DDO Developers & Management,


    I just wanted to take a moment to make a frank and earnest plea. One I am fearful will lead to nothing, as other sentiments so often have in the past - but one I feel a great need to try despite that.


    It seems almost criminal to me that so close on the heels of this game's 10th Anniversary, there is more vitriol and bitterness on these forums then there as been for a very very long time. Honestly, I think the only time I've seen this level of sustained dissent was the Vague & Mysterious days when we had almost no concrete Dev communications for nearly a year. I don't need to rehash the desperation and anger the community feels over the recent lag issues - one simply has to look at the Recent Threads tab and you can't scroll without seeing more then a few angry posts on the subject.


    Going back to the Vague & Mysterious era I mention above and comparing it to today... the biggest factor is the silence from you, the Developers and Managers.

    There has yet to be one cohesive thread started by anyone in Turbine about this. Not one central place to go to for news, answer, or just empathy. And I honestly feel it is this silence that has bred the toxicity and dissatisfaction. We want to be on your side. That's why we play this game - and many of us have been here for over a decade. We want to be in your corner, take your side, have confidence in your ability to handle this problem. But, when you don't talk to us - we cannot do any of those things. Well, some can - but many cannot.

    Please take the opportunity to tell us something. Anything. Even if it's not news you think we want to hear - dealing with us in any capacity is better then an echoing and persistent silence.




    If you don't think that forthright communication with us, the fans, is a worthwhile endeavor - I will leave you with this, CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwinski's comments from his GDC panel yesterday called Theory and Practice of Gamer-Centric Brand Development: ARTICLE LINK

    CD Projekt RED is the studio behind The Witcher games, and they take pride in their communication with their fans. The article above is a very good read - but this is the part I really want to bring to the fore, "To the issue of talking directly to fans, he pointed to a problem Electronic Arts had with Star Wars Battlefront, and showed a video of angry fan reaction to expensive DLC content for the game. Iwinski made it clear that his issue wasn’t with the DLC itself, but with how EA failed to properly explain its approach to players.

    "The worst thing is silence," he said.
    "


    Dear DDO Developers and Management - the continued silence is doing far more harm then good.
    Talk to us.


    With respect,
    Memnir
    For anyone who listened to Tolero's interview during the anniversary....you understand why the devs were silent back in '09. They couldn't talk....they weren't allowed to talk due to legal issues. They knew exactly what was going on...but they were under an effective "gag order".

    I don't pretend to suggest that this is the same situation...but, there probably is some legitimate reason for the silence. That doesn't make it any more tolerable...but maybe we can have just a smidge of sympathy for our dev team. I'm sure they are telling us as much as they can...or maybe they just don't know what else to say.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

  17. #17
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame
    Hipparan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Krynn
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    I don't want to start a petty argument on the forums, but know that the whole purpose of the PC is for Devs to chat one-on-one with a smaller group of representative players who can provide feedback. As for what is going on in the PC, I cannot tell you because of the NDA. I would like to tell you what we have discussed in the PC, but I would rather not get kicked off for violating the NDA. If you need to see direct contact between the Devs and players regarding lag issues, please just scroll up and check out the Dev tracker that is readily and easily available for anyone to use. A quick two clicks will lead you to this quote from last week:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We do appreciate the frustration being expressed by people experiencing lag in the game. We are working on it. The more information we can get from you regarding time, server, trace route and other information, the better, as we send that to our network folks for further investigation.

  18. #18
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Resident Blue Dragon
    Hero of the Flame
    Hipparan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Krynn
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    For anyone who listened to Tolero's interview during the anniversary....you understand why the devs were silent back in '09. They couldn't talk....they weren't allowed to talk due to legal issues. They knew exactly what was going on...but they were under an effective "gag order".

    I don't pretend to suggest that this is the same situation...but, there probably is some legitimate reason for the silence. That doesn't make it any more tolerable...but maybe we can have just a smidge of sympathy for our dev team. I'm sure they are telling us as much as they can...or maybe they just don't know what else to say.
    This. However the "silence" that has been going on has literally been since 3 days ago, and is nowhere near the months of silence that happened in 2009.

  19. #19
    Community Member Loromir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snook59 View Post
    This is the weakest "excuse" I have seen for the issues we are having. Good gosh, so many words so little said. Do you think because you are on the "counsel" you are obligated to defend the company? If so, say something constructive or give us some news. Please keep the "oh, I know more about what is going on than you do but I'm not going to tell you" to yourself. What are you, a 10 year old kid?

    I'm on the council too....and....we don't know anything more about what is going on than you do.

    ...In fact...I have been disappointed in really how very little we do know (About the future of DDO). As a 1st time PC member I was expecting more than we have gotten. I hope that will change after this debacle has died down.
    Last edited by kinggartk; 03-21-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

  20. #20
    Community Member Eryhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    yeah expected as much. thx for confirming that

    and no it wont change after this debacle died down, if it dies down. sry dude

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload