Community Member

Default Making a Wiz/Sorc Hybrid

I made a character (currently Wiz 1/Sorc 1).

I've looked around but haven't really seen anything talking about it so I thought I'd ask.

How viable is a hybrid like this? I was planning on going up the Earth Savant and Archmage tree while trying to get the most out of Metamagic enhancements.

If something like this is super gimped at high levels, I figured it'd be good to ask before I got any further.

Community Member

You'll miss out on high level spells, caster levels, and you depend on both intelligence and charisma, preventing you from focusing on one. As a classical caster it's pretty gimp.

As a 12 wizard, 2 or 3 Favored Soul, 6 or 5 sorc in the Shiradi Epic Destiny it could work with spamming scorching ray and a variety of magic missiles. FvS provides temp SP on fire and force spells, 12 wizard gets you magic missile and chain missile as SLAs (free metamagics), and Shiradi gives you a chance to proc extra damage with each hit.

If you can't get into the Shiradi ED when you reach 20, I'd recommend going 19/1 with either class.

Community Member

its a really bad idea. Sorcerer and wizard use different stats for spell casting. Wizards use intelligence and sorcerers use charisma. so if you want to do decent damage or have decent dc you'll need high scores in each which will result in a loss of constitution which is not good for an already squishy caster. Plus the two classes do not share caster levels so you'll be loosing out on top level spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofdusk View Post
    I made a character (currently Wiz 1/Sorc 1).
    If something like this is super gimped at high levels, I figured it'd be good to ask before I got any further.
    The only reason to do it would be some synergy from enhancements, and then only if you can't get something better elsewhere. Always have to weigh what you're gaining against what you're giving up.

And you'll be giving up...
    o Level 20 capstone enhancement (and Lvl 18, depending how deep the dip)
    o High Level spells at endgame
    o All higher level spells will be delayed, for both Sorc and Wiz
    o Focus on one Stat (Int or Cha) for spellcasting (altho' this is doable)
    o probably some other stuff

What you can do, is go Sorcerer, and once you get your key spells (maybe Fireball, maybe Wall of Fire, maybe something bigger) - then take Wiz 1 for the extra Metamagic feat. You don't need to grab metamagics early, and you don't want to delay your few early combat spells by 1 level until you have what you need. (Actually, this often doesn't give you "one more MM feat", it just frees up a regular feat slot for something else - Insightful Reflexes or whatever.)

If you wanted to grab Wiz 2 somewhere, you could reduce the cost of metamagic feats, but usually Sorcies avoid all costs by using their SLA's (metamagic is free when applied to SLA's).

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Archmage_enhancements#Tier_Two

A popular alternative is to grab Wiz 1 and Barb 1 (for faster kiting/running away). (Whether you take Barb late or at Level 1 is a ymmv thing, arguments both ways.)

Besides the two different casting attributes on these classes, the other issue is that they have the same spell list.

Each level of wizard takes away from the Bonus Spell Points a Sorcerer receives
    The spells of each class are limited to the Caster Level of the class they are prepared for.

Example if you go 10/10 split, at Level 20 your base caster level will be 10. Now the Sorcerer levels could boost the caster levels for a specific element at the cost of reducing for its counter element. With a maxed out Arcane Destiny you are looking at a caster level base of 15 and spells from the Spell level 5 and lower.

----
    One of the biggest drawbacks for multi-class casters is that DDO has not implemented the Practiced Spell Caster Feat. While this won't correct the issue of Spell Levels, it does help recover some lost Caster Levels.
    ----

If you do want to mix I recommend against 10/10. Look at 15/5. Using wiz as the lower would be to add two Wizard feats (1st and 5th level) which would be two more feats then a pure Sorcerer.