Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 341 to 359 of 359
  1. #341
    Community Member Yamani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the states
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvarstar View Post
    Thanks just tried it, creating a level 4 (1 rouge, 3 ranger), I ended up with a class with no spell points :| so I can't activate corrosive arrows, or morphic arrows. stats are

    str 10
    dex 20
    con 15
    int 14
    wis 10
    cha 8

    edit: spellcraft is 5.5

    spell points show ZERO (which is the problem ) not sure where I'm going wrong.

    BUT just read about capstones (new to me), I see end game ranger cap looks pretty good. maybe not worth it, as you mentioned.

    prob won't proceed, but why do I have zero spell points? any idea?
    Rangers don't get spell points until the 4th level of ranger.

  2. #342
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    Rangers don't get spell points until the 4th level of ranger.
    aha! thanks.

  3. #343
    Forum witchdoctor Hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hell.
    Posts
    6,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvarstar View Post
    Thanks just tried it, creating a level 4 (1 rogue, 3 ranger), I ended up with a class with no spell points :| so I can't activate corrosive arrows, or morphic arrows. stats are

    str 10
    dex 20
    con 15
    int 14
    wis 10
    cha 8

    edit: spellcraft is 5.5

    spell points show ZERO (which is the problem ) not sure where I'm going wrong.

    BUT just read about capstones (new to me), I see end game ranger cap looks pretty good. maybe not worth it, as you mentioned.

    prob won't proceed, but why do I have zero spell points? any idea?
    u can also get an item to get sp
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

  4. #344
    Community Member C-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lacalifusa
    Posts
    3,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvarstar View Post
    Thanks just tried it, creating a level 4 (1 rogue, 3 ranger), I ended up with a class with no spell points :| so I can't activate corrosive arrows, or morphic arrows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    u can also get an item to get sp
    Search the AH for "invigorating*" - those are spell point items - find a cheap one**. Put the item on before you go questing, build up your spell points, cast CA & MA, then swap back to your standard combat gear, good to go.

    (* Or Wizardry or a Pearl of Power, but those ~tend~ to be more expensive, for some reason._

    (** Both CA and MA cost 20 pts each. You could find an item w/ 40(+) spell points, OR just one w/ 20(+) - go to a Tavern and grab a simple Spell Point drink, cast one, refill the SP, then cast the other. They'll last until you log out for a while.)


    Or (easier) just take the Arcane Archer Tier 1 enhancement "Energy of the Wild" (I), which is on the recommended list in the OP, and gets you 30 spell points for 2 AP (2 which you'll be spending anyway).

    o http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Arche...gy_of_the_Wild

  5. #345
    Community Member xCataluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silvarstar View Post
    Thanks just tried it, creating a level 4 (1 rogue, 3 ranger), I ended up with a class with no spell points :| so I can't activate corrosive arrows, or morphic arrows. stats are

    str 10
    dex 20
    con 15
    int 14
    wis 10
    cha 8

    edit: spellcraft is 5.5

    spell points show ZERO (which is the problem ) not sure where I'm going wrong.

    BUT just read about capstones (new to me), I see end game ranger cap looks pretty good. maybe not worth it, as you mentioned.

    prob won't proceed, but why do I have zero spell points? any idea?
    Because Rangers don't get spellcasting until level -4-.

    Edit: Oops, didn't realize there was another page to the thread and this had already been answered.

  6. #346
    Forum witchdoctor Hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hell.
    Posts
    6,176

    Default

    ok so im taking a shot at this (pun intended)

    My rules:

    first life
    limited tomes (not spending money on this toon)
    halfling - already rolled this guy


    note its been a minute since i ran a bow user not a mech or shuri.

    those builds are powerful i grant you, but am saving them for my trs that have the stuff to really polish them up

    stats

    dex 20 level ups in this
    con 16
    int 12
    wis 12
    dump str and cha

    so ya it was a toss up between wis and int. wis gives me the ability to get cc with para arrows and better will saves. rangers dont get horrible saves so im not that worried about it and they get fom which stops a lot many some ok a few spells that require a will save. para arrows are nice, but i feel that i should have gone with aasmair and all in on wis if i wanted that. int gives more skills more spellpower and some checks require it i think. not a huge deal but pretty nice. i am debating for either kta or deadly instinct thinggee, but it won out with kta and the other things harper gave. minor bonus but slightly better then falconry ?


    Feats - copied table from opening
    These are the feats I took as an halfling.
    Level 1 - Point Blank Shot
    Level 3 - Precision
    Level 6 - maximize
    Level 9 - Improved Critical: Ranged
    Level 12 - quicken
    Level 15 - emp heal (can switch this and max)
    Level 18 - toughness? drawing a blank here maybe dodge?
    level 21 - overwhelming crit
    level 24-
    level 26-
    level 28-
    level 29-
    level 30- scion of earth?

    wondering on enhancements
    was planning on capstone dws with t5 aa and running around in fury....... but that leaves no room for either harper or falconry

    have my weapons all planned out - sliver longbow til bow of sinew then use a level 24 tf bow till i farm raid weaps and or sapphire sting

    looking for easy list of gear that is helpful

    level 3 bracers of wind
    rock boots at each level
    healing amp gloves
    ravenloft gear - so belt, cloak and armor are locked in til at least 20
    other stuff as it comes up'


    sorry for the ramble..... just mulling over for a fun first life char.
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

  7. #347
    2016 DDO Council Member Strimtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Thread updated for U40.

    Added Gear list for level cap, as well as a better detailing of epic destinies and epic feats. Updated FAQ.
    All my builds in one place!
    Personal stream http://www.twitch.tv/strimtom and I stream my show on the official DDOStream 6PM-9PM EDT on Mon.

  8. #348
    Community Member barecm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strimtom View Post
    Thread updated for U40.

    Added Gear list for level cap, as well as a better detailing of epic destinies and epic feats. Updated FAQ.
    Looking at the gear list I see you have both ring and armor slots for porfane +2 bonus to stats. I would assume legendary ring of prowess instead?
    Sarlona Server :
    Kluege Fixer- Superkluege

  9. #349
    2016 DDO Council Member Strimtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    Looking at the gear list I see you have both ring and armor slots for porfane +2 bonus to stats. I would assume legendary ring of prowess instead?
    Nope, that is correct!

    The band of insightful commands is useful for the +13 insightful accuracy as well as the +4 quality deadly. The accuracy is necessary, as while you might be able to hit mobs at level 30, critically striking requires a confirmation which is usually higher than their base armorclass.

    Example: If a monster has a 190 armor class and you have a +175 to hit, you hit only on rolls of 15 or higher, with glancing blows below that. If you roll a 20 and crit, yo need to confirm that critical strike, which requires you to hit again. I have seen some monsters (like the troglodyte warriors in shroud) that have over +220AC against critical strikes, so they almost never get crit unless you have lots of stats. Their AC is ~170, but to crit is a different story.

    For the non-raid set, I could see you using the ring of prowess for the accuracy, since it is harder to come by without grinding. Updating the gear set to reflect that.

    The raid set has the molten silver gauntlets which give deadly, and the slavelords craft gives accuracy, so the ring of prowess is superfluous and is better used by the band of insightful commands.
    All my builds in one place!
    Personal stream http://www.twitch.tv/strimtom and I stream my show on the official DDOStream 6PM-9PM EDT on Mon.

  10. #350
    Community Member barecm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strimtom View Post
    Nope, that is correct!

    The band of insightful commands is useful for the +13 insightful accuracy as well as the +4 quality deadly. The accuracy is necessary, as while you might be able to hit mobs at level 30, critically striking requires a confirmation which is usually higher than their base armorclass.

    Example: If a monster has a 190 armor class and you have a +175 to hit, you hit only on rolls of 15 or higher, with glancing blows below that. If you roll a 20 and crit, yo need to confirm that critical strike, which requires you to hit again. I have seen some monsters (like the troglodyte warriors in shroud) that have over +220AC against critical strikes, so they almost never get crit unless you have lots of stats. Their AC is ~170, but to crit is a different story.

    For the non-raid set, I could see you using the ring of prowess for the accuracy, since it is harder to come by without grinding. Updating the gear set to reflect that.

    The raid set has the molten silver gauntlets which give deadly, and the slavelords craft gives accuracy, so the ring of prowess is superfluous and is better used by the band of insightful commands.
    I understand what you are trying to do, but if the goal is damage, then you are kind of nerfing yourself with some choices. Reading more into feat selection and such, I just don't agree with a lot of it. 3 feats to get shot on the run for instance when you can take weapon focused ranged and thrown which both grant RP. That would free up two feats for power critical (which you stated was an issue) and maybe even empower healing to boost your cocoon and other sources of healing. I found taking the RP cap from deepwood to be better than the 20% DS from AA, plus, you can delete from AA and then splash 7 points to get KTA from harper.

    And taking toughness at lvl 28 instead of 10% doubleshot? Not sure that is right either. Not sure you can even take toughness at lvl 28 is an epic destiny feat slot.

    Lastly, level 30 I am seeing that you are "Acid Arrow Build" but I would suggestt to go either Scion of Arborea for +20 ranged power, Scion of the Ethereal Plane for the massive sneak attack damage boost, or even Scion of the Feywild for the +4 to enchantment DCs. Going with Acid damage fits the theme, but you can get some spell power from epic spell power at level 26.

    I get a lot of what you are doing, but not following on some choices as well.
    Sarlona Server :
    Kluege Fixer- Superkluege

  11. #351
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    I understand what you are trying to do, but if the goal is damage, then you are kind of nerfing yourself with some choices. Reading more into feat selection and such, I just don't agree with a lot of it. 3 feats to get shot on the run for instance when you can take weapon focused ranged and thrown which both grant RP. That would free up two feats for power critical (which you stated was an issue) and maybe even empower healing to boost your cocoon and other sources of healing. I found taking the RP cap from deepwood to be better than the 20% DS from AA, plus, you can delete from AA and then splash 7 points to get KTA from harper.
    Human would give you the extra feat to add power critical.

    Blinding Speed epic feat for 22% attack speed isnt available until level 27. Do you use some form of haste boost or haste potions to increase attack speed before then? Do haste scrolls/potions give 15% attack speed to ranged and does it still stack with haste boost and blinding speed?

    With 41 AP DS 31 AA would leave 8 AP to add to Tempest or Vistanii for Haste Boost until you get Blinding Speed.
    Edit: If you did not previously have Dreadnought unlocked (which has Haste Boost available).
    Last edited by Coffey; 11-01-2018 at 07:42 PM.

  12. #352
    Community Member barecm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Human would give you the extra feat to add power critical.

    Blinding Speed epic feat for 22% attack speed isnt available until level 27. Do you use some form of haste boost or haste potions to increase attack speed before then? Do haste scrolls/potions give 15% attack speed to ranged and does it still stack with haste boost and blinding speed?

    With 41 AP DS 31 AA would leave 8 AP to add to Tempest or Vistanii for Haste Boost until you get Blinding Speed.
    Edit: If you did not previously have Dreadnought unlocked (which has Haste Boost available).
    You quoted my response, but not really sure where the haste and haste boost questions are coming from, or if it is even directed at me. You can do as you say and use haste pots if you need to, or just use a quiver that gives ranged alacrity and then at lvl 26 use sapphire sting. But I am not really sure what is being asked as I would not focus on a few levels that you can push through in a week to over complicate a build. If you have a build with 8 extra APs (and I do), you can drop them into KTA from the Harper tree instead.
    Sarlona Server :
    Kluege Fixer- Superkluege

  13. #353
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    You quoted my response, but not really sure where the haste and haste boost questions are coming from, or if it is even directed at me.
    I answered about how to add power critical to the acid arrow build by going with human race for the extra feat to do so.

    And the question was general to anyone and i thank you for the answer, although i am still wondering if haste pots/scrolls (15% Speed) still stack with haste boost (15% Speed). And do both still stack with blinding speed or epic sapphire sting. As far as being complicated, it only requires a short term AP workaround which is an option for a new player that does not have Dreadnought unlocked yet.

  14. #354
    2016 DDO Council Member Strimtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    Reading more into feat selection and such, I just don't agree with a lot of it. 3 feats to get shot on the run for instance when you can take weapon focused ranged and thrown which both grant RP. That would free up two feats for power critical (which you stated was an issue) and maybe even empower healing to boost your cocoon and other sources of healing. I found taking the RP cap from deepwood to be better than the 20% DS from AA, plus, you can delete from AA and then splash 7 points to get KTA from harper.

    And taking toughness at lvl 28 instead of 10% doubleshot? Not sure that is right either. Not sure you can even take toughness at lvl 28 is an epic destiny feat slot.

    Lastly, level 30 I am seeing that you are "Acid Arrow Build" but I would suggestt to go either Scion of Arborea for +20 ranged power, Scion of the Ethereal Plane for the massive sneak attack damage boost, or even Scion of the Feywild for the +4 to enchantment DCs. Going with Acid damage fits the theme, but you can get some spell power from epic spell power at level 26.
    The reason I made these decision is because I am focusing on what a new player has access too. I don't include harper agent because it isn't free to play, and I chose to go with the dodge feat line because layers of defence are a good thing to learn about as a new player. Same with toughness; while yes, doubleshot is a better feat, most first life characters hit epics with less than 400 hp. I wanted to help with that epic survivability a bit.

    The scion of the ethereal plane bit is to keep the image alive. I would like to imagine that a good portion of the people who try this build get excited about shooting literal acid arrows at enemies and so I wanted to keep the theme of more acid damage. It isn't the most damage at absolute endgame which is why for absolute endgame I recommend trying other more endgame focused builds.

    I do agree that the changes you make would make the build do more damage but I want to make sure that these players get a good footing, especially since if you are new you don't have a lot of quest packs and named items and might even be wearing 100% lootgen.
    Last edited by Strimtom; 11-02-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    All my builds in one place!
    Personal stream http://www.twitch.tv/strimtom and I stream my show on the official DDOStream 6PM-9PM EDT on Mon.

  15. #355
    Community Member barecm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strimtom View Post
    The reason I made these decision is because I am focusing on what a new player has access too. I don't include harper agent because it isn't free to play, and I chose to go with the dodge feat line because layers of defence are a good thing to learn about as a new player. Same with toughness; while yes, doubleshot is a better feat, most first life characters hit epics with less than 400 hp. I wanted to help with that epic survivability a bit.

    The scion of the ethereal plane bit is to keep the image alive. I would like to imagine that a good portion of the people who try this build get excited about shooting literal acid arrows at enemies and so I wanted to keep the theme of more acid damage. It isn't the most damage at absolute endgame which is why for absolute endgame I recommend trying other more endgame focused builds.

    I do agree that the changes you make would make the build do more damage but I want to make sure that these players get a good footing, especially since if you are new you don't have a lot of quest packs and named items and might even be wearing 100% lootgen.
    Got it. Good explanation. I probably would still stay clear of the SoTR line as you can get more out of other feats. But that is debatable.
    Sarlona Server :
    Kluege Fixer- Superkluege

  16. #356
    Community Member Varr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Excellent Thread

    Just wanted to chime in, this was a fun read. Excellent first post. Got bored of running my normal Wizard builds so doing my last three racials (half elf) as a pew pew'er for change of pace. Thought I would review some Ranger thoughts while servers were down. Good stuff and mirrors my first 6 levels or so as acid focused shooter with level 6 Silver Bow. Had been going STR though and was not focused on Deepwoods as second set of EP spends. I'm convinced now though. Good stuff!
    Varr's all over. Cannith Varr getting the love currently.

  17. #357
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default Love it!

    Built it, playing it (at level 18 right now) & absolutely love it. Super powerful damage - only issue is keeping red names at range while I pick them off. Best with someone in group who can keep the aggro. Thank you for the best build guide I have read and used. Everyone posting a build should use yours as a template. Hoping someone will do a Rogue build and a Wizard build the same way

  18. #358
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Been playing this build for three weeks now, and frigging LOVE it.

    I've followed everything you suggested and have not been let down -especially after force arrows come in.

    I got a fellow player on it as well, since we had all started new players, (sheesh!) and I decided on a tempest ranger build... drow elf. After 5 levels of that I missed the archery and had AA and DS so I re-feated and remade the "new" build to be the same acid arrow.

    It's funny to read other players chiming in that you praise the Silver Longbow too much, but DAMN... it just deal a **** ton of damage and I can't see why anyone would swap out ever if they're not doing expansion pack stuff like Ravenloft.
    The Silver Longbow ruins everything it comes across, and when you get force and shot on the run, you can hop all over the place in any end boss fight and just decimate them using manyshot, shatter mantle, sniper, and dispelling.

    So long as you train yourself to hit the special attacks in a certain order for different types of enemies, you get to dispel defenses, then utterly GUT them out -all without having to get your hands dirty hahaha

    Nice work, Strimtom.

    Anyone have suggestions on named gear sets?
    I'm fond of ring/boots of the mire... extra 30% speed and jump is nice and you get feather fall and water breathing -that's a lot for TWO item spots.
    I've got VoM... as always.

    What ring/necklace/bracer sets are good for this build?
    Ravenloft included.

    Also, if anyone is down for some of these quests, hmu and we'll go get them. I have a friend who is also doing this build and he'd be down as well.

  19. #359
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I had the idea of using this to finally make use of having Aasimar, and never before finding a compelling Ranger with a Silver Longbow gathering dust in my bank forever. So the basic idea being
    - Aasimar / Max wis build
    - Grouped Reaper leveling 1-30
    - Paralyze the hell out of everything in reaper (Taking Evil Outsiders as first FE)

    The main problem would probably be, not to completely gimp the dps. Even in the original build, a substantial amount of DPS is coming from the physical damage, going max dex. In a build that focuses on paralyzing things, physical damage becomes even more important because you can't run Paralyzing Arrows and Acid Arrows at the same time. At the same time, you're drastically reducing said physical damage by not going elf, not going full dex, and potentially wasting feats on things like Spell Focus: Enchantment instead of Weapon Focus: Ranged, and such. Worse, I don't even have falconry.

    I haven't really worked out a full build, all I did so far was experiment with some (starter kitted) vet2 level 7 toons in the searing heights. Which has obvious limits in what you can test. If I had Aasimar Scourge I could probably run some more valid tests. Tests show that going full acid arrow is the best DPS, until you turn on paralyze and do pathetic dps to frozen enemies. Elf/dex obviously doing somewhat better killing things even with starter gimp gear, I would assume Aasimar would do better in Reaper with Paralyze but I don't want to subject a group to taking a first life starter gear gimp into reaper just for me to test out things. Getting some basics in the DWS tree improves the physical damage, especially as dex increases with improved weapon finesse and sneak attack dice, but then you can't have paralyzing arrows by level 7, or the ton of acid arrow dice. Conversely, the low tier clicky attacks in AA seem like a waste of AP, making me feel like I have nothing to do except autoattack everything down. So what this tells me I would have problems especially in the early levels, both in terms of killing power (if going DWS first) and boredom (if going AA) and especially in reaper (because even when I can have PA around level 7, I still have to choose between being able to kill things or being able to paralyze things)

    Is there a build out there that has kinda worked out these kinks? Am I worrying too much? How do paralyze-focused ranged rangers fare in public reaper groups?

    Edit: Lets say I bite the bullet and buy the WPM pack for Falconry, because a) I actually like birbs and b) I can seriously not be arsed to farm it through favor and c) I mean it's a birb, and it would fit so well, would that at least solve all my mechanical issues even if I may have to go for a week without food?
    Last edited by Corrupt; 02-22-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload