Default Communication is Key

Communication is the key at this point...are you going to let your customers sit around waiting getting more anxious and angry by the minute or are you going to post a time frame for when you expect the game to be back up?

We know that the best estimate right now may change later but the silence isn't helping. "Late into the night" sounds more like how long people are willing to continue working than an actual time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by snook59 View Post
    Communication is the key at this point...are you going to let your customers sit around waiting getting more anxious and angry by the minute or are you going to post a time frame for when you expect the game to be back up?

We know that the best estimate right now may change later but the silence isn't helping. "Late into the night" sounds more like how long people are willing to continue working than an actual time frame.
    Well, don't sit around waiting for them to fix this and bring the servers back up. I wouldn't expect the servers up until - at best - some time in the early morning hours Eastern time. Probably like 4:00a, at the earliest. I personally wouldn't be surprised if they're down all weekend.

EDIT: Also, "Late into the night" is the best information they've got available. They don't know how long it's going to take to fix this. They've got to reproduce it (probably the easiest part, since the problem is so widespread), then find ways to test it so they get an understanding of the conditions that cause it to happen, then write the fix, do actual testing (finally!), probably rinse-repeat "write the fix, test" since you never get these things fixed completely the first time, and (hopefully) a final test (but probably not, since they didn't care enough to do that in the first place and were fine with foisting untested code on their customers), and then they can deploy it to the live servers.
    Last edited by Coyopa; 12-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    Description: The arcane archer PrE seems to be designed to work only with bows. However, it is possible to attach its effects to other weapons with much greater rate of fire like shurikens (or crossbows).
    Bug.

Community Member

Gotta understand a problem first before you can give a time frame.

There's an Cordovan's official information thread in service, you can easily locate by hitting Dev Tracker or hit what I quote down here

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are currently investigating the issues seen with randomly-generated loot both new and old, and will decide whether to work toward a fix or revert back to the pre-U29 random-gen loot system. Both involve some work and time, and both will require us to do a new game build. Since compiling a new build tends to take some time, it is likely we will not have the game worlds open until late tonight or perhaps early morning Eastern. We will keep people updated.
    Now is on you to guess what it says behind the lines, if I would get such an email at job and I was one responsible to fix it I would most probably run to the toilet and try to run away (after fixing my bio sudden needs of course) ... or fake a heart attack, at that point might not even need to pretend too much
    Under and behind and inside everything this man took for granted, something horrible had been growing.

Try to stop being anxious and angry. We are just playing a game. The people who you are targeting your anxious and anger at have created a very long day for themselves. Try to imagine how long a day this is going to be for them. Again, a game, not a kidney transplant.
    Explorers are we, intrepid and bold, out in the wild, amongst wonders untold. Equipped wit our wits, a map and a snack, we’re searching for fun and we’re on the right track!

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by knobaroo View Post
    Try to stop being anxious and angry. We are just playing a game.
    I think he's anxious precisely because he's not currently playing the game.

Sorry you missed that context for his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    As a general rule we don't intend for a single spawn area to cause any dungeon alert, and certainly not red dungeon alert. This basically isn't ever a goal in our designs

Barring some miracle discovery, that last estimate from Cordo is probably correct.

Investigating takes time.
    Troubleshooting the results from that takes time.
    Attempting & testing fixes based on the troubleshooting takes time. It's rare that any of these activities run concurrently, and more often than not, you have to loop back to an earlier stage in the process and begin anew.

And at the end of it all, sometimes you discover that there is really nothing to do but a) Break it further in order to fix it, or b) Revert it to the original state. I've been down this road more times than I can count. Here's hoping that the answers come to them much more quickly than expected.
    "When asked if the developers hate the players, as they make so many challenging jumping puzzles, their response was that they have what they consider a “… normal amount of contempt for the players.” This is good. A dungeon master should always nurse a healthy contempt for his or her players."

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

Why you got to be like that?
    Late tonight early tomorrow seems like communication to me.
    Oh, yeah I surely missed the entitlement context of the post.
    /Rolls eyes
    Last edited by knobaroo; 12-17-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    Explorers are we, intrepid and bold, out in the wild, amongst wonders untold. Equipped wit our wits, a map and a snack, we’re searching for fun and we’re on the right track!

Community Manager

We're currently looking at early morning, Eastern time. Among the factors involved is the time it takes to prop a build, stage it to the various places it needs to go, do QA checks, and then, assuming we fixed things correctly and didn't find anything new, do the various staging, checks, and switch-flipping (turn on the Jester, turn on/off Cannith Crafting, etc.) needed to open the worlds to you.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We're currently looking at early morning, Eastern time. Among the factors involved is the time it takes to prop a build, stage it to the various places it needs to go, do QA checks, and then, assuming we fixed things correctly and didn't find anything new, do the various staging, checks, and switch-flipping (turn on the Jester, turn on/off Cannith Crafting, etc.) needed to open the worlds to you.
    Have you considered automating the switch-flipping? (It could be randomized for added fun.)

Hang in there and keep up the good work!

And have a very Merry Christmas too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

You mean the game a pay a 30/90/or 365 day fee for? Do I get a discount for down time?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fgimino View Post
    You mean the game a pay a 30/90/or 365 day fee for? Do I get a discount for down time?
    Although I know you mean well pointing your finger at player because he or she wants to play a game they probably pay for is the wrong approach IMO.

Community Member

Well I am going to bed soon and will check in the morning.

I would be shocked if it was back by 2am.

Work under the assumption that it will be an extended period of time until the game is playable again.

U29 had enough bugs that it shouldn't have been released for at least 2-3 more weeks (a month once you account for a Christmas shutdown).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Work under the assumption that it will be an extended period of time until the game is playable again.
    Yeah. I expect I'll get my Christmas shopping done this weekend after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by knobaroo View Post
    Try to stop being anxious and angry. We are just playing a game. The people who you are targeting your anxious and anger at have created a very long day for themselves. Try to imagine how long a day this is going to be for them. Again, a game, not a kidney transplant.
    You are correct. Great game but not worth the cortisol level increase. OK. I am ready now. Flame away.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
    You are correct. Great game but not worth the cortisol level increase. OK. I am ready now. Flame away.
    No flames, but let's all break out the pencils, character sheets, and dice!

I gotta say. As I do, every update. Take the time you need to get it right. All of us that play the game really do appreciate the work, and time you put into it. If we didn't, would any of us post, here? And, we'll be ready and eager to go "dungeon crawling", as soon as the worlds come up.
    As the saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat. (No offence to cats, cat lovers, or people that want to be cats)
    "Everything taste like chicken, 'cept chicken, that taste like turkey.", quoth the barbarian.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fnordian View Post
    Have you considered automating the switch-flipping? (It could be randomized for added fun.)

Hang in there and keep up the good work!

And have a very Merry Christmas too.
    Cordovan is buddhist fyi.