Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post DPS Oracle - A complete DPS calculator for every build and blade

DPS Oracle is a program designed to give you complete and accurate damage information for any build with any blade. It can give you damage-per-second, or damage-per-swing. You can see the highest possible crit, or the lowest non-crit, and everything in between. If you're not sure which blades you should create in the magma forge, or someone is wrong on the internet, this is the tool you need!

Download:
    DPS Oracle v2.1

Please note: The program is designed to be race and class agnostic. In other words, it should apply equally well to any class or race, and any specific enhancements or features you wish to include can be done so by manipulating the various input boxes.

Installation
    Standalone executable packed in a .rar archive. You can get WinRar to unpack it.

Usage
    Just adjust the various boxes until you get your desired setup. The output on the right will automatically update with every adjustment made.

Screenshot:

Please enjoy!

***Change Log***
    v2.1:
    -Further improvements to random number generation (for simulator)
    -Improved how doublestrike damage/procs are taken into account
    -Improved offhand doublestrike in same way

v2.0:
    -Added option to simulate hitting a boss in the Vs.Mob simulator
    -Added option to use neither MF or CF

v1.9:
    -Added Crippling Flames to simulator
    -Other minor efficiency changes

v1.8:
    -New simulator feature: Now you can see how many swings it takes to finish of a mob of <whatever> hitpoints, including the effects of Mortal Fear.
    -Mortal fear damage (if it applies) is shown next to the number of swings it took to take down that particular mob
    -Random number generation has been greatly improved over standard libraries (helps generate more realistic simulations)

v1.7:
    -Sneak attack now procs on offhand attacks and scales with doublestrike, and offhand doublestrike.
    -Melee power addition for TWF has been removed
    -1d14 weapon profile added

v1.6:
    -SAVE and LOAD features have been added
    -A few minor tweaks and fixes

v1.5:
    -Added swing simulation. You can choose how many swings per simulation (bin), and how many bins. Choose 1 for "swings per bin" to compare individual swings. Also includes the ability to show as percentage of average in case scale becomes too big to be readable.
    -Fixed minor bugs

v1.4:
    -Sneak Attack is now part of the calculation. The method of calculation into damage-per-swing and damage-per-second may change if someone provides a correction, but this is how it's applied:
    *When the Sneak Attack box is checked, sneak attack damage is taken into account
    *Sneak attack is added once per swing, regardless of whether you are TWF, SWF, or THF (i.e. it does not count twice when you have a successful offhand swing as well). The reason is the main attack is your main hand, and other effects are counted on top of that (offhand, sneak attack, enhancement based damage, etc). To my knowledge, this is how sneak attack is applied...

-Added "Misc Base-only Dmg" for things that are not added to crits (i.e. Pure Good). You'll have to decide whether to include the average damage, or a high/low number (for now).
    -Increased the Double Strike max
    -Increased PA max
    -Base damage multiplier now increments by 0.25

v1.3:
    -Separated crit profile from crit modifier
    -Remove "Misc Crit Mod" box (now just edit the new crit modifier box)
    -Added several new weapon base damage profiles
    -Bug fixes
    Last edited by Alkusoittow; 11-20-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Community Member

It seems incomplete...do you have to use it in game because there is no program to run it
    Main Characters: Korkoch the Cruel, Sylhuetta Sidhe...Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    It seems incomplete...do you have to use it in game because there is no program to run it
    No, it's a standalone executable that has been archived in a .rar file. You can use WinRar to unpack it:
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Community Member

cool thanks
    Main Characters: Korkoch the Cruel, Sylhuetta Sidhe...Thelanis

If using this for ranged builds, don't forget ranger past lives.

EDIT: I don't see how to compare weapon effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkusoittow View Post
    DPS Oracle is a program designed to give you complete and accurate damage information for any build with any blade. It can give you damage-per-second, or damage-per-swing. You can see the highest possible crit, or the lowest non-crit, and everything in between. If you're not sure which blades you should create in the magma forge, or someone is wrong on the internet, this is the tool you need!

Download:
    DPS Oracle v1.2

Please note: The program is designed to be race and class agnostic. In other words, it should apply equally well to any class or race, and any specific enhancements or features you wish to include can be done so by manipulating the various input boxes.

Installation
    Standalone executable packed in a .rar archive. You can get WinRar to unpack it.

Usage
    Just adjust the various boxes until you get your desired setup. The output on the right will automatically update with every adjustment made.

Screenshot:

Please enjoy!
    This is very neat. Thank you for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsbet View Post
    Moved his sense of humor to a new data center, eh?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

Would that be misc noncrit damage? Bottom left.
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

Community Member

However accurate it is atm (I cannot judge really), I can't believe it came so late in the lifespan on the game.

Always nice to see people putting the efforts in order to come up with progs like this. Well done.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

first off, great job! and thank you for this tool.

things I'd like to see added, if possible, are effects like the burst/blast (from those elemental/alignment), and sneak attack dice.

thanks again

I like how you handle holy sword/keen edge/etc... by just letting us choose the crit mods, but don't forget Critical Rage (tier 5 ravager) which gives +2 crit multiplier. Similarly, there are a variety of ways to increase crit range by more than one. A paladin in Divine Crusader gets +2 range from Holy Sword + Celestial Champion.

Both issues, and all other possible permutations, can be solved by swapping the two crit checkboxes with spinners.

I realize I have now posted twice to point out issues but have failed to offer kudos. This looks like a fantastic tool. Well done!

Great job!

I wish you would add 1d4 18-20/x4 profile for assassin with daggers
    And sneak attacks
    Last edited by draven1; 10-11-2015 at 04:32 AM.
    “Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness.
    Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness.
    Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.”
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Community Member

There is a potential "mistake". You computed the standard deviation by assuming that a twenty hit scenario where basically each hit happened with its expected probability. This is NOT however the damage distribution I envisioned. The damage distribution needs to be done over a number of hits to be meaningful IMO. For example, over 5-10-15 consecutive hits for trash and then 50-100-150 for bosses.

I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my previous post, I came from a discussion on the topic and I thought we were on the same page.
    Quote Originally Posted by retrojet View Post
    Why are there entire pure classes still that are completely unusable [...]. Why are there entire trees that no one will ever invest in? Why are there entire destinies that no one will ever play in? Why aren't these questions even on the developer radar screen?

First of all, thanks for all the feedback! Only after you create something like this do you realize how complicated the game's engine must be...

Keep the comments coming as it helps me make better future versions.

Some thoughts:
    -Split crit multiplier out of the crit profile box, remove the "crit mod +1" checkbox, remove the "misc crit mod" selector, and just leave the regular (full crit range) multiplier be its own up/down arrow box in the top group box. That way you can modify it however you please without multiple places to check.
    -Will be adding 1d4
    -Sneak attacks have been requested a few times... I will look into adding that. Perhaps just a generic "Sneak Attack Dice" and "Extra sneak attack damage" selector?

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    I tried it on Supreme Cleavage but it can't go up to 71.8 (2d8) or (143.6 d8) on either W or damage die to model Supreme Cleaves, and it won't let me go up to 80d20 to model whirlwinds.

It also won't let me model over 100% double strike (Many special attacks have extra hits, and/or shield bash like ameliorating strike or monk WW).

Also, if you click shield mastery feats with TWF feats selected, it causes an error alert. Some builds like the one linked can have both TWF and Shield feats active at the same time.

Power attack doesn't go over 5, but with enhancements it should.

Your calculator is telling me pure 20 ranger builds are really good right now. Good work man!
    Could you clarify a number of things:
    -What can boost your base weapon die to 2d8?
    -Whirlwind is a 360 degree attack... what does it have to do with 80d20?
    -Anything over 100% doublestrike is meaningless (according to in-game engine). I could add "extra attacks" but I'd need to know where it's coming from, and how often they proc. If it's a clicky, I'm probably not going to build it in since the point was to calculate average DPS, and show the variance between high/avg/low crits vs high/avg/low hits.
    -Ameliorating strike just heals you?...
    -Regarding the error from using Shield Mastery + TWF, I'm guessing you had doublestrike turned up to 100% (it's the only way I could reproduce the error). I'll fix that so it catches the issue instead of erroring out. Thanks for pointing it out.

I like how you handle holy sword/keen edge/etc... by just letting us choose the crit mods, but don't forget Critical Rage (tier 5 ravager) which gives +2 crit multiplier. Similarly, there are a variety of ways to increase crit range by more than one. A paladin in Divine Crusader gets +2 range from Holy Sword + Celestial Champion.

Both issues, and all other possible permutations, can be solved by swapping the two crit checkboxes with spinners.
    The misc crit mod box was created for this purpose, but I'll probably be removing it in lieu of a generic crit multiplier box at the top.

Extra base damage (like ranger past lives) can be added via the "misc noncrit damage" box in the lower lefthand corner area.

Quote Originally Posted by draven1 View Post
    Great job!

I wish you would add 1d4 18-20/x4 profile for assassin with daggers
    And sneak attacks
    Will be adding this in next version.
    Sneak attacks... ugh... maybe 2 versions from now

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    There is a potential "mistake". You computed the standard deviation by assuming that a twenty hit scenario where basically each hit happened with its expected probability. This is NOT however the damage distribution I envisioned. The damage distribution needs to be done over a number of hits to be meaningful IMO. For example, over 5-10-15 consecutive hits for trash and then 50-100-150 for bosses.

I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my previous post, I came from a discussion on the topic and I thought we were on the same page.
    Well, the standard deviation is the actual standard deviation over any sufficiently large sample of swings. What you are asking for is not the variance or the standard deviation, but a random sample of some number of hits. The only way that's meaningful is if you have a sufficiently large number of independent random samples to compare it to. In other words, you'd need to see 100+ samples of total damage from some number of hits. At that point, you would see some samples came out really high, some came out really low, but when you look at the standard deviation per swing, you'll get the same value shown in the program.

One thought, however, would be to show a bar graph of ~20 samples of 10 hits (or whatever number). The height of the bar would be total damage. Then you could see how they jump from one to another... but that's just visualization. The standard deviation remains the same...

Anyway, could be fun.

You can use WinRar to unpack it:
    Or 7-zip: www.7-zip.org
    "... none but ourselves can free the mind." - Marcus Garvey, 1937

Community Member

Well, the standard deviation is the actual standard deviation over any sufficiently large sample of swings. What you are asking for is not the variance or the standard deviation, but a random sample of some number of hits. The only way that's meaningful is if you have a sufficiently large number of independent random samples to compare it to. In other words, you'd need to see 100+ samples of total damage from some number of hits. At that point, you would see some samples came out really high, some came out really low, but when you look at the standard deviation per swing, you'll get the same value shown in the program.

One thought, however, would be to show a bar graph of ~20 samples of 10 hits (or whatever number). The height of the bar would be total damage. Then you could see how they jump from one to another... but that's just visualization. The standard deviation remains the same...

Anyway, could be fun.
    I should have been more precise, it is totally my fault. I don't mean over a single hit, I mean over a sequence of hits. If you had a big sample of SINGLE hits and then took some moments of the distribution of those SINGLE hits you would obtain (for the 2nd moment) what you gave us. That is correct.

However, I don't think necessarily this is very informative. What I potentially care about is over sequences of hits. For example, say I am fighting trash mobs. I would like to know, for instance, what is the potential distribution of time needed to kill one such mob. Is it likely that it takes 5 hits, 10 hits, whatever amount. This is ultimately what I think a player is going to have to assess when choosing a weapon.

Am I coming across?
    Quote Originally Posted by retrojet View Post
    Why are there entire pure classes still that are completely unusable [...]. Why are there entire trees that no one will ever invest in? Why are there entire destinies that no one will ever play in? Why aren't these questions even on the developer radar screen?

Great Job!

Thanks for the hard work on this.

A couple of things that would be helpful:

1. Add all the base hit die choices. It currently has 1d6, 1d8, 1d10. But we also have regular weapons with 1d4, 2d4, 1d12, 2d6, and 1d2. I guess for completion sake, it would probably be a good idea to add 1d3 as well. If that is a lot to ask (and it looks like it is to me), please consider at least adding 1d12 (great axes) and 1d4 (daggers) to cover two very common weapons.
    2. You include Monk Past Life, but I did not see Ranger past life. Ranger PL feat is only for ranged weapons, but it a +2 to damage. (although the program does appear to be a bit melee centric, so you may not have had the intention for it to be used with ranged weapons)

EDIT: Oops, i pulled up a reply box and then got pulled afk for a bit. I came back and finished my reply without seeing that you already addressed a couple of my concerns.
    Thanks for committing to the 1d4 - great axes and great Xbows use the 1d12, so I hope you can get that added as well
    and I guess, since I saw the Monk past life listed, I was looking for a ranger past life. It may be better to either add the ranger or remove the Monk so both past lives are handled the same way.
    Last edited by VCB; 10-11-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    Sarlona Server - Augon, Vitrin, Allaric, Taheghi, Dhakenshaup, Diviciacus, Loukus, Mehujael, Phreddd, Talaun, Zhugeliangg

Officer of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.shivtr.com/

The mistakes of a fighter are the scars on his face.
    The mistakes of a rogue are still locked in their place.
    The mistakes of a mage were destroyed with a boom.
    And the mistakes of a Cleric are lying in a tomb.

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    I should have been more precise, it is totally my fault. I don't mean over a single hit, I mean over a sequence of hits. If you had a big sample of SINGLE hits and then took some moments of the distribution of those SINGLE hits you would obtain (for the 2nd moment) what you gave us. That is correct.

However, I don't think necessarily this is very informative. What I potentially care about is over sequences of hits. For example, say I am fighting trash mobs. I would like to know, for instance, what is the potential distribution of time needed to kill one such mob. Is it likely that it takes 5 hits, 10 hits, whatever amount. This is ultimately what I think a player is going to have to assess when choosing a weapon.

Am I coming across?
    Ahh yes, perfectly clear And I agree, this information would be more useful in general since most people don't have an instinct for what to do with a standard deviation (if one could have such an instinct to begin with). This will take time... but I'll see what I can do

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    However accurate it is atm (I cannot judge really), I can't believe it came so late in the lifespan on the game.

Always nice to see people putting the efforts in order to come up with progs like this. Well done.
    It came this late to the game because it's still impossible to do complete such a project without access to the game combat log (IF combat log was accurate -which it isn't).

This calculator is nice, but not even close to reality. It measures single-target DPS (cleaves?), ignores weapon hit-boxes (staffs vs. daggers? attack sequence?), ignores situational buffs that a player may be keeping up (rage, tenser's, action boosts, consecrated ground, blitz, etc.?), ignores fortification (undead, constructs, fort bypass), ignores on-hit special effects (exploit weakness, adrenaline, righteous fervor, shiradi stances, shield bashes) and a whole lot other stuff that I can't think of right now.

As I have stated in BigErkyKid's thread "Universal DPS calculator", such a calculator is impossible.
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Updates posted! Feel free to try the new version.

***Change Log***
    v1.3:
    -Separated crit profile from crit modifier
    -Remove "Misc Crit Mod" box (now just edit the new crit modifier box)
    -Added several new weapon base damage profiles
    -Bug fixes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast