Cool 212.80 Base Damage Rating using a bug with Exploit Weakness

Exploit weakness: While Swashbuckling, every time you damage an enemy but do not critically hit, you gain a stacking +1 Insight Bonus to Critical Threat Range until you successfully critically hit.

This bonus is doubled by improved critical or keen effects, so every time you do not crit your threat range increases by 2.

This means it is possible to get enough stacks to where your next attack will crit on a 1-20 (100% chance) but is absurdly unlikely you will get to that point.

Interestingly, if you build up exploit weakness stacks and switch to another weapon, the stacks stay and apply to the new weapon.

This becomes even more interesting when dealing with weapons of different ranges. When I equip Dagan's Mallet I crit on 17-20 and when I equip Balizarde I crit on 13-20. So it is easier to build up exploit weakness stacks on Dagan's Mallet since it has a smaller range.

So I can build up 6 stacks on Dagan's Mallet fairly easily (which brings my range to 5-20) and switch over to Balizarde to get a range of 1-20

http://i.imgur.com/FNhc7iM.jpg

Cool! But...it's still possible to build up two more stacks on Dagan's Mallet. Will the base damage rating recognize that it can't expand the threat range of Balizarde anymore?

Sure enough, it doesn't: http://i.imgur.com/oHGVsxY.jpg

From a programming point of view this isn't necessarily a problem. All that will happen is the weapon will crit and its range will reset, but it's neat to be able to go below 1 and see the base damage rating rise. So what's the lowest we can go? In my case, I would only be able to get one more stack on Dagan's Mallet to get a -3-20 range on Balizarde when I switch over.

Here's where I ran into an inconsistency/bug: I noticed that when you build up exploit weakness stacks and switch weapons, the stacks will both stay and apply to any other (swashbuckling) weapon except for throwing weapons (of course, the multiplier already doesn't work), where the stacks would stay and continue to build up but not apply.

Long Details: So to be totally clear, any time you gain an exploit weakness stack with a throwing weapon, its range will change to the completely correct value based on the number of stacks you have regardless of what the range was before. When you switch to another weapon and switch back to your throwing weapon, its range is reset to the base value while keeping the stacks. So the very next attack will have a threat range assuming you have no stacks. On this attack you will either hit or crit. If you hit, you gain a stack and your threat range will change itself to the correct expanded value (again, able to go below zero). If you crit, your stacks go to zero and everything is back to normal.

This means I can have any number of stacks of exploit weakness while still having a range of 17-20 on Dagan's Mallet, which in turn means I can build up stacks forever as long as I switch weapons after every attack and make the 80% chance (1-16) to not get a crit.

The longest streak I've gotten so far is 18 stacks of exploit weakness (.8^18 = 1.8% chance), which when switching over to Balizarde gives a -23 to 20 threat range and a whopping 212.80 base damage rating.

http://i.imgur.com/YtN1omc.jpg

Interesting analysis there!

If I recall, Exploit Weakness is only supposed to stack up to 19 times, since that's the max that any weapon should need to hit a range of 1-20. (It does, however, mean there's a chance you'd go into negatives on anything that started with a larger range, should you get that far without the stacks clearing).

To be honest, it reminds me of the times DMing pen and paper D&D where I'd look at a player's stats and say "OK, with your bonuses, to fail this skill check, you'd need to roll... a Negative 5. So, maybe don't Nat 1."

In short, if you DID manage to get those stats, and then DID manage to roll a negative 23 on a 20-sided die... just be aware that you'd crit.

(That said, we'll take a look at what bugginess might be going on here. Thanks!)
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by aoeusnth View Post
    Exploit weakness: While Swashbuckling, every time you damage an enemy but do not critically hit, you gain a stacking +1 Insight Bonus to Critical Threat Range until you successfully critically hit.

This bonus is doubled by improved critical or keen effects, so every time you do not crit your threat range increases by 2.

This means it is possible to get enough stacks to where your next attack will crit on a 1-20 (100% chance) but is absurdly unlikely you will get to that point.

Interestingly, if you build up exploit weakness stacks and switch to another weapon, the stacks stay and apply to the new weapon.

This becomes even more interesting when dealing with weapons of different ranges. When I equip Dagan's Mallet I crit on 17-20 and when I equip Balizarde I crit on 13-20. So it is easier to build up exploit weakness stacks on Dagan's Mallet since it has a smaller range.

So I can build up 6 stacks on Dagan's Mallet fairly easily (which brings my range to 5-20) and switch over to Balizarde to get a range of 1-20

http://i.imgur.com/FNhc7iM.jpg

Cool! But...it's still possible to build up two more stacks on Dagan's Mallet. Will the base damage rating recognize that it can't expand the threat range of Balizarde anymore?

Sure enough, it doesn't: http://i.imgur.com/oHGVsxY.jpg

From a programming point of view this isn't necessarily a problem. All that will happen is the weapon will crit and its range will reset, but it's neat to be able to go below 1 and see the base damage rating rise. So what's the lowest we can go? In my case, I would only be able to get one more stack on Dagan's Mallet to get a -3-20 range on Balizarde when I switch over.

Here's where I ran into an inconsistency/bug: I noticed that when you build up exploit weakness stacks and switch weapons, the stacks will both stay and apply to any other (swashbuckling) weapon except for throwing weapons (of course, the multiplier already doesn't work), where the stacks would stay and continue to build up but not apply.

Long Details: So to be totally clear, any time you gain an exploit weakness stack with a throwing weapon, its range will change to the completely correct value based on the number of stacks you have regardless of what the range was before. When you switch to another weapon and switch back to your throwing weapon, its range is reset to the base value while keeping the stacks. So the very next attack will have a threat range assuming you have no stacks. On this attack you will either hit or crit. If you hit, you gain a stack and your threat range will change itself to the correct expanded value (again, able to go below zero). If you crit, your stacks go to zero and everything is back to normal.

This means I can have any number of stacks of exploit weakness while still having a range of 17-20 on Dagan's Mallet, which in turn means I can build up stacks forever as long as I switch weapons after every attack and make the 80% chance (1-16) to not get a crit.

The longest streak I've gotten so far is 18 stacks of exploit weakness (.8^18 = 1.8% chance), which when switching over to Balizarde gives a -23 to 20 threat range and a whopping 212.80 base damage rating.

http://i.imgur.com/YtN1omc.jpg
    Lol, thatals a nice trick. I doubt turbine can fix it though so enjoy it.

Default IbtC -> In before the Cube

So it's not so much actual base damage as it is you've found a... erm... "feature" that allows you to ensure all attacks are Crits if you go through a few (what sounds to me to be) annoying steps involving the "luck" of not critting first? Interesting. I guess... but sounds like a pita to get started - does it last through quest exit/entry or do the hoops need to be jumped through in every quest?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

I don't remember off the top of my head if the stacks are cleared when going into quests but yeah it doesn't actually affect your damage output in any way or form--it's just a neat trick you can do with the item description window.

Edit: To clarify for PermaBanned, if you built up the stacks and went into a quest with them, you would just get one assured crit then everything would be back to normal. So no one is able to run around doing absurd damage all the time, it just guarantees a single crit.
    Last edited by aoeusnth; 07-29-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by aoeusnth View Post
    I don't remember off the top of my head if the stacks are cleared when going into quests but yeah it doesn't actually affect your damage output in any way or form--it's just a neat trick you can do with the item description window.

Edit: To clarify for PermaBanned, if you built up the stacks and went into a quest with them, you would just get one assured crit then everything would be back to normal. So no one is able to run around doing absurd damage all the time, it just guarantees a single crit.
    I take it that means it'll be a really good one though.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by RoberttheBard View Post
    I take it that means it'll be a really good one though.
    Exploit weakness doesn't increase critical damage, it will be exactly the same as any other critical hit.

Community Member

There's a much easier way to build up exploit weakness stacks to insane levels: smash the mob in the face with your buckler. Exploit weakness doesn't extend the threat range of things in your offhand, so you can build these stacks very easily without having to switch weapons. Not that it means much, considering that actively attacking with your shield is way weaker than attacking normally.

Ok ,the only question left is: WHY?
    I mean, I do like to watch the numbers written (picted, actually), but we don't want to wait in game all the time for this magic to happen, do we?
    Proud member of the Silver Legion

switching back and forth doing a single attack might give you a pretty number but I would be shocked if the DPS against an average MoB would even be equal to just using your best weapon and wailing away on the guy.

interesting hiccough for sure but since it's only the range and not the multiplier on a single attack it's very meh in actual combat.

Still kinda cool if completely impractical.

can you build the stack on a training dummy and bring it into a quest?

Are we even allowed to discuss "exploit weakness" since it clearly involves an exploit?

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    can you build the stack on a training dummy and bring it into the Lobster?
    ftfy
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Are we even allowed to discuss "exploit weakness" since it clearly involves an exploit?
    Dear Devs:

Please disregard all my posts in this thread, just in case... *eep*

I dunno if you can build it up on the dummy but even if so, you would still only get the shot on the first MoB. Hell even if you let others clear it and save it for the boss it's one normal crit attack.

In the end it's interesting certainly but of little to no practical use.