Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Advice appreciated

I searched the forums a bit and you seemed a good person to ask about this type of build. I wanted to try out a variation of this build before I took a break, and now that I am casually returning, thought I might give it a go.

I am planning on doing a related build and I has some questions about some of the abilities of the build. This build seems to offer a lot of versatility to playstyle which is always a plus to me.

For context my build will probably be mostly for flavor, and I understand that I will be making many sacrifices in the name of flavor. I am planning on doing a Half elf, SWF using a warhammer and rune arm. I want to get as many electrical imbue effects on my melee strikes as possible. I plan on going 12 Ftr/6 Wiz/2 Arty Int based using Harper tree.

For your build what order do you take the levels in? I was thinking getting 2 arty, 3 ftr, 6 wiz, then rounding out ftr.

My questions concerning EK abilities are how effective is the cleave attack from tier 1 with elemental imbue toggled on? with damage scaling with SP it seems like it might be able to hit some decent numbers, but then it says 0-2 per character level? Practically speaking does it actually do decent aoe dps?

How critical is Tensors? I can definitely scroll it at higher levels, and I would much prefer to use Kensai Tier 5 enhancements.

You mentioned you tried Harper Int build one life but did not like it compared to STR? Care to elaborate as to why?

In epic levels do you get good use out of energy burst? How high of SP are you able to reliably hit with chosen element? You have scion of Fire listed as Legendary feat. What kind of numbers are you seeing from this per hit? Does it really scale with SP?

Do you have any general tips for playing this build that you might find useful for someone trying it out for the first time?

I am currently finishing farming a TOEE lightning warhammer to use through heroics, so I still have some time before I TR into this.

I can post an exact build layout if that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!
    Still love this game...

Quote Originally Posted by Janitorman View Post
    I searched the forums a bit and you seemed a good person to ask about this type of build. I wanted to try out a variation of this build before I took a break, and now that I am casually returning, thought I might give it a go.

I am planning on doing a related build and I has some questions about some of the abilities of the build. This build seems to offer a lot of versatility to playstyle which is always a plus to me.

For context my build will probably be mostly for flavor, and I understand that I will be making many sacrifices in the name of flavor. I am planning on doing a Half elf, SWF using a warhammer and rune arm. I want to get as many electrical imbue effects on my melee strikes as possible. I plan on going 12 Ftr/6 Wiz/2 Arty Int based using Harper tree.

For your build what order do you take the levels in? I was thinking getting 2 arty, 3 ftr, 6 wiz, then rounding out ftr.
    Your leveling looks fine. The biggest difference is not being able to self heal easily. You might be better off with many more arty levels, and pass on most of the fighter. Kensai takes up so many feats, I'm not sure its worth it. If you go more arty, you could do construct essence to be able to self heal.

My questions concerning EK abilities are how effective is the cleave attack from tier 1 with elemental imbue toggled on? with damage scaling with SP it seems like it might be able to hit some decent numbers, but then it says 0-2 per character level? Practically speaking does it actually do decent aoe dps?

How critical is Tensors? I can definitely scroll it at higher levels, and I would much prefer to use Kensai Tier 5 enhancements.
    My build is all about aoe damage. Its the cleaves that deal the damage. Tensors is not critical and I've played with some kensai variants, but will try some more after racials. Don't sell the t5 wk cleave short. It has saved me many times.

You mentioned you tried Harper Int build one life but did not like it compared to STR? Care to elaborate as to why?
    I could get str higher than int. DPS was better str based when I was running it.

In epic levels do you get good use out of energy burst? How high of SP are you able to reliably hit with chosen element? You have scion of Fire listed as Legendary feat. What kind of numbers are you seeing from this per hit? Does it really scale with SP?
    Definitely. Energy burst does great damage. I don't remember the numbers, but I used it often.

Do you have any general tips for playing this build that you might find useful for someone trying it out for the first time?

I am currently finishing farming a TOEE lightning warhammer to use through heroics, so I still have some time before I TR into this.

I can post an exact build layout if that would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Have fun with it. Make it your own.
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

updated original post

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    updated original post
    Is there any reason not just to stick with Pally rather than take Fighter levels? Pally has Vanguard too. Is it for the feats?

Hap

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazarduk View Post
    Is there any reason not just to stick with Pally rather than take Fighter levels? Pally has Vanguard too. Is it for the feats?

Hap
    Yes, its for the feats.

I like the idea of this build and have used a lot of the ideas for one of my own toons.

I am curious though - why an 11/6/3 split? Wouldn't 2 rogue give you enough for trapping, while allowing 12 wiz, which gives you access to the 4th EK core ability? This gives you d8 spellsword dice, enough arcane spell failure reduction for heavy armour with no other enhancements needed, and some other nice things.

Also curious why the INT version using Harper "wasn't as good"? It would seem the logical choice for this build, giving synergy with the trapping and casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Katalissa View Post
    I like the idea of this build and have used a lot of the ideas for one of my own toons.

I am curious though - why an 11/6/3 split? Wouldn't 2 rogue give you enough for trapping, while allowing 12 wiz, which gives you access to the 4th EK core ability? This gives you d8 spellsword dice, enough arcane spell failure reduction for heavy armour with no other enhancements needed, and some other nice things.

Also curious why the INT version using Harper "wasn't as good"? It would seem the logical choice for this build, giving synergy with the trapping and casting.
    Much has changed since I originally did this build, and I could get str much higher than int.

I went with 3 rogue for the extra sneak attack die. Back then the EK cores were worthless.

The nice part of this build is that you can customize it and it still works. I'm actually thinking about another variation, maybe only 2 rogue and build for evasion and high dodge.

If you find something that works for you, post about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12