Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gwhyn build - melee wizard EK

Updated for EK pass

With the update, I gave some prr, a chunk of ac, all for more dps from vangard. Overall DPS is much better, but survivability is still great, able to self heal at r3 easily, r5 is starts to get tough. I've seen crits for over 18k on special hits

Bladeforge true neutral, 11 wizard, 6 fighter, 3 rogue.

Let me start off by saying this is a fun to play build, that works well in heroic and epic levels. It works great if you want to run into a huge group of mobs and kill them all and self heal. Rogue levels are for sneak attack damage and I like to do traps. 30% xp is nothing to sneeze at, either. I can do EE Haunted Halls traps no problem. I use a +1 heart to remove paly level.

I have tried harper int build one life, but it was not as good. Str is just better. I have done this as a sorc, but wizard is better just for the feats. Sorc is still fun and is a great way to get the past life. I also did a first life 11 wiz, 6 ftr, 3 paly that worked great, so this is a first life viable build.

starting/level 30 stats (w/ ship buffs, non-reaper)
    str 18/80 (all level ups here)
    dex 6/26
    con 17/66
    int 16/56
    wis 6/24
    cha 10/25

hp 2300/2273 sp 1749
    58% double strike
    107 melee power unbuffed, 260 with power boosts

0 arcane spell failure with heavy armor and tower shield (skyvault)

202 prr, 79 mrr, 135 ac

I run mainly in LD for the extra cleaves.

twists: energy burst, sense weakness, legendary shield mastery, endless faith

Feats: pa, quicken, completionist, cleave, g cleave, adamantine body, extend, imp crit slash, mental toughness, imp mental toughness, bastard sword prof, two handed fighting line, shield/improved mastery, OC, perfect twf, holy strike, arcane pulse, scion of arborea.

racial completionist

Enhancements:

Ek (42 ap): all T5 abilities

vangard (25 ap): T4 shield specialization for damage bonus

bladeforge (18): t2 for communion of scribing, 1 rank to reduce asf, power of the forge and communion of handling.

harper (7): 1 rank of know the agles

Skills:
    max search, disable, and spellpower.
    Lots into open lock, UMD, repair.

Leveling: rogue at 1 and 20 for skill point bonus.

Spells are mainly for self buffs.

6 cleave attacks on separate timers with LD (2 feats, 2 EK, 2 LD). Insanely fast attacks with sword and board.

Gear:
    Legendary symbol of the slave lords
    LGS helm
    Legendary Executioner's docent
    Legendary shackles
    LGS Goggles
    LGS gloves
    Legendary shackles
    Legendary 5 rings
    Legendary mantle of fury
    Legendayr Ring of Prowess
    LGS opposition belt
    LGS opposition necklace

5 piece LGS ender set

Skyvault Shield

Weapons: LGS bastard sword, Balizard, Sword of Shadows, TF bastard sword with mortal fear, and misc others to break DR. Love to swap in Earthshatter for earth elementals.

I need newer gear, still mostly using Balizard with sentient gem attached with 6 slots. Will transfer to better weapon later.
    Last edited by Ghwyn; 12-29-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: updated
    Gwhyn Saige - heroic and epic completionist, loving the EK build
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...elee-wizard-EK

Bladeforge true neutral, 11 wizard, 6 fighter, 3 rogue.

Let me start off by saying this is a fun to play build, that works well in heroic and epic levels. It works great if you want to run into a huge group of mobs and kill them all and self heal. Rogue levels are for sneak attack damage and I like to do traps. 30% xp is nothing to sneeze at, either. I can do EE Haunted Halls traps no problem. I use a +1 heart to remove paly level and then change alignment to use epic litany without penalty.

I have tried harper int build one life, but it was not as good. Str is just better. I have done this as a sorc, but wizard is better just for the feats. Sorc is still fun and is a great way to get the past life. I also did a first life 11 wiz, 6 ftr, 3 paly that worked great, so this is a first life viable build.

starting/level 30 stats (w/ ship buffs)
    str 18/80 (all level ups here)
    dex 6/33
    con 17/52
    int 16/47
    wis 6/26
    cha 10/28

hp 1694 / sp 1468

0 arcane spell failure with heavy armor and tower shield (skyvault)

225 prr, 77 mrr, 184 ac

I run mainly in LD for the extra cleaves.

twists: energy burst, legendary shield mastery, purge the wicked, endless faith, shield prowess

Feats: pa, quicken, completionist, cleave, g cleave, adamantine body, extend, imp crit slash, mental toughness, bastard sword prof, two handed fighting line, shield/improved mastery, OC, perfect thf, perfect twf, harbinger of chaos, great strength, scion of fire.

Enhancements:

Ek (37 ap): to tier 5 for perma tensers, 1 rank of t2 for light armor prof for asf. 3 ranks of t5 eldrich tempest.

stalwart (26 ap): stalwart defense, up to t4 for ac and 20% hp bonus.

bladeforge (11): t2 for communion of scribing, 2 ranks to reduce asf.

harper (6): 1 rank of know the agles

Skills:
    max search, disable, and spellpower.
    Lots into open lock, UMD, repair.

Leveling: rogue at 1 and 20 for skill point bonus.

Spells are mainly for self buffs.

6 cleave attacks on separate timers with LD (2 feats, 2 EK, 2 LD). Insanely fast attacks with sword and board.

Gear:
    Epic Litany
    Epic Minos Legens
    Shadow Guardian docent
    Epic Inferno Bracers
    Epic Mentau's Goggles
    15 str random loot gloves
    Legendary Knife Toed Boots
    Epic Eye of the Beholder
    Skyvault Shield
    Legendary Construct mantle
    Legendayr Ring of Prowess
    LGS opposition belt
    LGS opposition necklace

Weapons: LGS bastard sword, Balizard, Sword of Shadows, TF bastard sword with mortal fear, and misc others to break DR. Love to swap in Earthshatter for earth elementals.

I would love to hear of any variants that would offer better dps. I know I can drop rogue for something else, but I love doing traps. I might try twf and swf at some point.

During my last ETR, I dropped epic mental toughness and took bastard sword. Seems like a good switch.

I have seen a number of recent threads about EK lately, and I am curious if anyone has tried my build and how they like it. I am also curious about variations people have tried.
    Last edited by Ghwyn; 12-29-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Updated for U29. Its even better now, and still fun to play. It can do all traps in LE Tempest Spine and pull the str levers.

looks interesting!
    could you tell us more about playstyle on this build?
    and how do you heal yourself? scrolls, cocoon?

edit: i see where your heals coming from! totaly forgot about BF race tree! ^^
    Last edited by mraz; 01-26-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Community Member

Thumbs up

Would love to see a video of this beast

Quote Originally Posted by mraz View Post
    looks interesting!
    could you tell us more about playstyle on this build?
    and how do you heal yourself? scrolls, cocoon?

edit: i see where your heals coming from! totaly forgot about BF race tree! ^^
    Sure. This is build where you jump in a huge group of mobs and even champions, and spam cleaves and energy burst. Healing comes from reconstruct and com of scribing. With good prr, high ac, displacement always on, along with quickened repairs, this is a very survivable build.

hehe, nice! just the way i like it! i think im going to try this on one of my alts. ^^
    and one more question... you're using two handed weapons on heroc lvls and swich to S&B on epics?

hehe, nice! just the way i like it! i think im going to try this on one of my alts. ^^
    and one more question... you're using two handed weapons on heroc lvls and swich to S&B on epics?
    It depends upon your gear. If you have heroic skyvault, then use S&B. Even so, I switch weapons all the time, even in epics, as I have some nice two handers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    It depends upon your gear. If you have heroic skyvault, then use S&B. Even so, I switch weapons all the time, even in epics, as I have some nice two handers.
    thx for clearing that out for me.
    gear is not a problem. i have almost all important named and crafted items and if there is something i dont have, our guild chests are full of nice named both heroic and epic items )

i have one more question... ive never used +1 lesser heart and i know ita easy to mess that up so my question is whats your lvl order before you use one?

gear is not a problem. i have almost all important named and crafted items and if there is something i dont have, our guild chests are full of nice named both heroic and epic items )

i have one more question... ive never used +1 lesser heart and i know ita easy to mess that up so my question is whats your lvl order before you use one?
    just as a note - to tr to this build you need an alignment change as well - if you are following it exactly.

that is to go true neutral - which is nice, but not required
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    just as a note - to tr to this build you need an alignment change as well - if you are following it exactly.

that is to go true neutral - which is nice, but not required
    thx for pointing that out!

and to answer your question - i would probably go 1 pally 11 wizard, 3 fighter.

then you use the heart, u go 1 rogue 11 wizard 3 fighter then 2 more rogue and the rest fighter.

i think.

its obviously not my build but that is how i would do it
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    and to answer your question - i would probably go 1 pally 11 wizard, 3 fighter.

then you use the heart, u go 1 rogue 11 wizard 3 fighter then 2 more rogue and the rest fighter.

i think.

its obviously not my build but that is how i would do it
    thx for all the information

If you want rouge levels, it is best to do them at 1 and 20. The third rouge level is not as important when you take it. The alignment change is also not required. Rogue is one of my favorite classes to play, and I love doing traps, which is the main reason I took 3 levels of rouge. I have done a variant with 3 pally levels, but I like rouge much better.

I doubt my build is superior, but it feels like a very similar play style:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Paladin-Build

Been tempted more than once to try going with something other than sword & board, but I just love the style, despite its issues.
    Cuyar of Orien

15 paly is always good dps. You have really high spell points, which is always nice. I did a variant with sorc rather than wiz for the extra sp, but then I lose the extra feats. Everything is a compromise, and finding the sweet spot is part of the fun. Thanks for sharing.

Updated the first post with current configuration.

This build can rock LE Tempest Spine. Able to do levers, runes, and traps.

Running other LE raids: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-hella-paccos

I am still open to suggestions to make this build even better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghwyn View Post
    I also did a first life 11 wiz, 6 ftr, 3 paly that worked great, so this is a first life viable build.
    Hey there,

You mentioned splashing 3 pally. In my case I'm forced to until I decide to buy +1 heart.

Trapping is great fun. Is there a way to sneak rogue in or is 3 pally the way to go if it has any pally at all. Same with artificer?

thanks

Community Member

Nvm I'm dumb. Can't splash 4 classes. Rolled a 3 pally version. Pretty fun and tanky doing hard gianthold. Should be even better when I get sword and shield.

Biggest issue is lack of SP! I want to hit that fun aoe blast all the time but at 30 sp I will need to farm wizard gear or something. Thanks for the build

Glad you like it. Be sure to farm out a mysterious bauble and ring of spell storing. I'm doing my racial lives atm, but will go back to this build when I'm done. Also, doing reaper and picking up all the sp souls really helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast