Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Internet Lingo and You. (updated July 15, 5:25pm PST)

Many times in my adventures through Stormreach, I've come to meet players who are new to online gaming. Many of these fine folks joined because it was D&D. Even still, some are unfarmilliar with some of the more common terms used across the wide range of MMORPGs on the market today.

While new players should never be discouraged by lingo, it does happen. They may feel ashamed to ask what it means or even pretend they understand and embarrass themselves later on.

As a community, it is our role and honor to help new members into the swing of things by providing a primer, if you will, for the lingo that you'll likely encounter in DDO (or any other game).

* Some of the following are specific to DDO.
    * Fork will be used in place of the more vulgar counterpart. Most players of adult age will know what the alternative meaning to Fork is.

#
    1337 - Leet, often used to refer to someone with above average or "elite" skills.

A
    AFK - Away from Keyboard (this player is telling you that they have left for a moment.
    Aggro - This is the name for the level of aggression a monster has towards any player. The person with the most "agro" is usually who the Monster will target and persist to attack. Agro is gained through dealing damage to the creature, taunting the creature(intimidate), or healing party members. (The ideal group situation involves the TANK holding Aggro.)
    Alt - A Players Alternate Characters, these are characters that they play for fun but are not the main focus of their time in game.
    AOE - Area Of Effect, AOE spells are spells that effect multiple targets in a designated area. Spells like "Fireball" have AOE damage because they damage the creatures surrounding the inital target of the spell.
    ATM - At The Moment.
    Avatar - Another name used to define a Player's Character.

B
    Bio - This term refers to someone doing a biological break. (Bio Break) Often used in DDO to state a player is going to the bathroom.
    BRB - Be Right Back (often used in conjunction with AFK)
    BRT - Be Right There

C
    CC - Crowd Control, casting classes (Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards) are often asked to do CC. This involves AOE stuns, Web spells, and Daze spells.
    CLW/CMW/CSW - Cure light, cure moderate, and cure serious wounds respectively.
    CO6* - Cult of Six

D
    DC - Disconnect, This often refers to a player who looses his internet connection or his client-side connection to the game.
    DC
    * - Difficulty Check, the foundation of most skills in DDO and D&D 3.5 is based on a D20 dice roll versus a DC. The DC of any given object, spell, trap, or magic item is the "check" that you must roll above to succeed.
    DEV - Developers, These are the good men and women who actually work on the game itself. The Dev team can consist of artists, programers, and managers. There are other types of employees like public relations but are not specifically DEVs since they are not directly "developing" the game.
    DV* - Divine Vitality, this is a cleric ability which is used at the expense of a "Turn Undead". DVs are optional enhancements that a Cleric may choose to take in order to refil small amounts of Spell Points to a target party member.

E

F
    FO* - Finish Out, this is often a fast way of telling everyone in the group that it is ok to "recall" out of a dungeon after it has been completed.
    FTW - For The Win, simply put, anything that is followed by "FTW" means it is a good thing. (eg. "+4 Ghost Touch Adamantine Bastardswords FTW!")

G
    GG - Good Game, often used as a congradulatory response to a good group or good job on a task. This has been used alternatively as a condecending insult flavored with sarcasm. (eg. "GG, Noob...")
    GJ - Good Job, used in the same context as GG.
    GM - Game Master, these are the fellows who are employeed by Turbine to help players with unusual problems like monsters not spawning, getting stuck, items disappearing, and other events which disrupt the flow of gameplay. They also moderate behavior of players when it gets out of hand. Consider the GMs to be like the Police of DDO, when something goes wrong, you contact them.
    GMW* - Grey Moon Waning

H
    HAX - Hacks. This is a term used when someone feels the game is cheating them. Alternatively, this term is used when a fellow player is doing so well that others think he is "cheating with hacks". This is, of course, a light toned and rather playful comment to make. Hax is rarely used in serious tones in DDO.
    House D - House Deneith, an area north of the Marketplace.
    House J - House Jorasco, an area north of the Marketplace.
    House K - House Kundarak, an area north of the Marketplace.
    House P - House Phiarlan, an area north of the Marketplace.

I
    IC - In Character. For all intents and purposes, this term is most commonly used in MMORPGs to describe a player's Roleplaying state. If he is IC, then he is talking and acting "In Character". (Alternatively, and commonly used in internet lingo, IC is a fast way of saying "I see")
    IDK - I Don't Know.
    INC - Incomming, often used to let other players know that a group of MOBS are heading towards the group. Someone who pulls will often let his party know that the pull was successful by saying "INC".
    IRL - In Real Life

J
    JK - Just Kidding

K
    KEK - Another version of LOL, KEK was commonly used in World of Warcraft due to the Horde's translation of LOL when viewed by an Alliance member. Kek originated from Korean players on Battlenet who would show laughter via "kekekekekeke".

L
    LD - Link Dead, an alternate form of DC.
    LFG - Looking for Group
    LFH - Looking for Help, Not always looking for someone of equal level, this can sometimes be used to seek the aid of a higher level character for whatever reason. Alternatively, LFH means Looking For Healer, this means the group has everything they need except a healing class.
    LFM - Looking for More (alternatively, LF1M, LF2M, etc shows how many more are needed for a complete group)
    LOL - Laughing out Loud (come on, everyone knows this one.)
    Lowbie - Someone of low level. Usually refers to characters still between level 1-4.

M
    Main - A Player's Main Character.
    Meat Shield - This term is often used refering to the tanking classes of the group. Paladins or Fighters in DDO's case. They are the front line "peons" that take the beating so the softer classes don't have to.
    MM - magic missle (not often used like this, but still used occasionaly, like when discussing the end boss tactics in STK)
    Mob - The common term used to describe a monster or other enemy that you encounter.
    MT- Miss Tell, this is used to appologize to a player when someone sends them a message that was intended for another player. Alternatively, MT refers to the "Main Tank" of a group.
    MU - Magic User
    Mule - Toon created only to move or sell items from player to player. They are also good for extra bank space which is limited.

N
    NEDM - Not Even Doom Music. This is used to describe a situation that is completely uncool. It is a commonly known fact that music from the video game series "Doom" makes everything cooler. There are some things, however, that are so completely uncool that Not Even Doom Music can make it cool. Thus the phrase NEDM.
    NERF - To Nerf is to make something less effective. At its very essence, players feel Nerfing something usually holds a negative effect on them. Durring the "balancing" phases of most game development, many aspects are being "Nerfed" from what may have been an overpowered status.
    Newb - Not necissarily lacking in skills, but clearly lacking experience. A "Newb" is often the title given to new players who may or may not fully know the game itself.
    NM - Never Mind
    Noob - The opposite of 1337. A noob, (or n00b) is of below standard skills.
    NUB - An alternate version of "Noob".

O
    OIC - "Oh, I See"
    OMG*** - "Oh My God, What the Fork*" Commonly results from a party wipe or other unfortunate and unpredicted event.
    OMW - On My Way
    ORLY? - Oh Really?

P
    PK* - Phantasmal Killer "The Wizard will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs." (Alternatively, and more commonly among other mmorpgs, PK means "Player Killer")
    PnP - Pen and Paper, This refers to the original version of Dungeons and Dragons.
    PST - Please Send Tell, this is a common follower of a request like "I'm selling such and such, PST". This means the player is requesting that you talk to him/her using the TELL function= /tell <their name> <Message>
    PUG - Pick Up Group (not Pull Together Group, lol)
    PVE - Player versus Environment (thats like dungeon crawling and such)
    PVP - Player versus Player (Killing other players, not yet implemented)
    PWN - A "1337" term pronounced as "own" (don't let noobs tell you its pronounced "pone"). This means to greatly overpower or defeat an adversary.

Q
    QFT - Quoted For Truth

R
    ROFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing
    RP - Roleplay. (alternatives, RPer 'roleplayer' and RPing 'Roleplaying')

S
    **** - Shut The Fork* Up
    STK* - Shan-To-Kor

T
    Tank - A universal term used in mmorpgs to describe the frontline "protection" class. In DDO this role is often filled by the Paladin or Fighter of a group. A Tank's purpose is to manage AGRO and keep party members safe by taking all the punishment.
    Toon - An alternate word used to describe a player's "Character". The origin of this word is unknown to me. Alternate words include Avatar and Character.
    TS* - Tempest Spine
    TTYL - Talk To You Later
    TY - Thank You
    TYVM - Thank You Very Much

U
    UMD* - Use Magical Device

V

W
    *** - What The Fork*
    WW* - Water Works

X

Y
    YW - You're Welcome

Z
    Zerg - Zerging is a term used to describe a hasteful and "brute force" method for getting past a dungeon. The idea here is that adding more force (either through number of characters or lack of restraint with spell usage) the task is more easily overcome. The term "Zerg" originates from the Blizzard game Starcraft which includes a race known as the Zerg. The focal point of their tactical strategy is to create hordes of units that continually swarm the opposing factions.
    ZOMG - A 1337 version of "OMG". Adding a Z to the begining of OMG usually adds emphasis.

All submissions are welcome. All that I ask is that you please include a description of the word you are submitting. I try to know my internet lingo, but there are some words even I am unfarmilliar with.
    Last edited by Izlude; 07-15-2006 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Alphabetical order and additional definitions.

1337 needs to be yellowed

Throw in lowbie, alt, main, LFH, tank, CC, aggro/hate, bio/bio break, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM.

Great list by the way. I like the yellow color, makes it look professional >.<

I'm sure I'll think of more later (And I'll try to figure out a way to get this stickied)

EDIT: I have absolutly no clue how to even *propose* getting anything stickied... Anyone know?
    Last edited by Brennie; 06-27-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie
    1337 needs to be yellowed

Throw in lowbie, alt, main, LFH, tank, CC, aggro/hate, bio/bio break, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM.

Great list by the way. I like the yellow color, makes it look professional >.<

I'm sure I'll think of more later (And I'll try to figure out a way to get this stickied)

EDIT: I have absolutly no clue how to even *propose* getting anything stickied... Anyone know?
    Thanks for the submission. Anything that you listed that I did not put on the list was due to a lack of farmilliarity with the term. If you could please provide definitions I will happily add those remaining terms to the list.

CC, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM were the ones I am unfarmilliar with.
    Last edited by Izlude; 06-27-2006 at 01:03 AM.

Updated with alphabetical order and new definitions.

Requesting Sticky. Cube, please review this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Izlude
    Thanks for the submission. Anything that you listed that I did not put on the list was due to a lack of farmilliarity with the term. If you could please provide definitions I will happily add those remaining terms to the list.

CC, CLW/CMW/CSW, and MM were the ones I am unfarmilliar with.
    You deleted Waterworks (I dunno if this was intentional)

CC = crowd control (usually spells)

CLW/SMW/CSW = Cure light, cure moderate, and cure serious wounds respectively. (These are often shortened in the way in game)

MM = magic missle (not often used like this, but still used occasionaly, like when discussing the end boss tactics in STK)

Shoudl Sheild Block be added? Or is that more of a tactical definition?

Community Member

IC can also mean in character for roleplayers, OOC is out of character

Got to remember that *gasp* there are roleplayers in a D&D game :-P

So a lot of them can have more than one meaning.

Outstanding, both of you. Thank you for the adds! Keep them coming! *fixing problems*

Quote Originally Posted by MortVent
    IC can also mean in character for roleplayers, OOC is out of character

Got to remember that *gasp* there are roleplayers in a D&D game :-P
    STILL? Goodness, I gotta go set more traps. If you let one in, they multiply like cockroaches!

On that note, add RP/RPer - (Roleplay/roleplayer)

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie
    STILL? Goodness, I gotta go set more traps. If you let one in, they multiply like cockroaches!

On that note, add RP/RPer - (Roleplay/roleplayer)
    Damn, I must have missed some when I reordered them for alphabetizing, cause I had RP in there. >_<

By the by, this gives whole new meanings to group dinners, when an attractive co-ed might ask "hey, can you give me a fork?"

Community Member

I didn't Know IC to stand for in character, I believe it has an alternate meaning of IC = I see

FF - feather fall
    EE - earth elemental

idk = I don't know

Community Member

wts = want to sell (followed by item name)
    wtb want to buy (followed by an item description)
    pst = please send tell
    tank = absorb damage or pull aggro
    aggro = aggresion
    mu = magic user (pre-3rd edition D&D wizard/sorcerer)
    edit : nuke = powerful combat spell , usually resulting in xp
    I want npc retainers & a mule ! Someone has to carry all my loot
    Variety is the spice of battle - the Black Widow

Thumbs up

Have to have:
    Toon = Character
    Example "I've got 3 toons. One is a Tank, one is a Wizzy, and the other is a Pally."

Zerg/Zergling/ and Zerger = A person who runs like an idiot through quests usually setting off traps, drawing to many enemies, taking a lot of usless damage, getting their party killed and causing your healers to waist to much Mana on them. Needless to say is not a good term. It comes from from the old Blizzard game StarCraft after a race of simple minded insect like killing machine aliens.

Zergs are usually hated by others and can quickly find themselves dismissed from a party or dead because the party will refuse to help them after they have so stupidly blundered their way into a mess. This is to teach them a lesson and to keep the non-Zergers in the party alive so they can finish the quest.

Very bad Zergers will be dismissed only second before a quest is finished so thier time is wasted (just as the party feels their time has been playing with the Zerg) and they get no XP to boot. Moral of the story is... Don't be a Zerg. If you're bad enough, and you're known for it, your toon can sometimes be blacklisted by experienced players and guilds. Thus the renowned Zerger will have a hard time finding anyone to group with him. Did I mention to NOT be a Zerg? LOL!

Mule - Toon created only to move or sell items from player to player. They are also good for extra bank space which is limited.

PK - Phantasmal Killer "The Wiz will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs."
    Last edited by Cordrone; 06-27-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    Member of the Lightbringers - Pertinax, Carpathior, Thievus, Cordrone, Daryel, Titanax, Fearson, Caladron & Grumbler
    "We gotta go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"

Community Member

Please add "toon". I still don't know what the origin of that term is or why it is used instead of "alt."

Other suggestions are "nerf" and "zerg"

IRL- In Real Life
    GMW/ Co6 - Grey Moon Waning/ Cult of 6
    TS - Tempest Spine
    QFT - Quoted for truth
    PnP - Pen and Paper (the tabletop version on D&D)
    Last edited by cpito; 06-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.~ Cpt. Mal Reynolds
    ~Peechie Keene~ THAC0

Quote Originally Posted by Cordrone
    Have to have:
    Toon = Character
    Example "I've got 3 toons. One is a Tank, one is a Wizzy, and the other is a Pally."

Zerg/Zergling/ and Zerger = A person who runs like an idiot through quests usually setting off traps, drawing to many enemies, taking a lot of usless damage, getting their party killed and causing your healers to waist to much Mana on them. Needless to say is not a good term. It comes from from the old Blizzard game StarCraft after a race of simple minded insect like killing machine aliens.

Zergs are usually hated by others and can quickly find themselves dismissed from a party or dead because the party will refuse to help them after they have so stupidly blundered their way into a mess. This is to teach them a lesson and to keep the non-Zergers in the party alive so they can finish the quest.

Very bad Zergers will be dismissed only second before a quest is finished so thier time is wasted (just as the party feels their time has been playing with the Zerg) and they get no XP to boot. Moral of the story is... Don't be a Zerg. If you're bad enough, and you're known for it, your toon can sometimes be blacklisted by experienced players and guilds. Thus the renowned Zerger will have a hard time finding anyone to group with him. Did I mention to NOT be a Zerg? LOL!

PK - Phantasmal Killer "The Wiz will PK the Rust Monsters so the tanks can rush the rest of the mobs."
    I appriciate your zealousness with the definition of Zerging, but we aren't trying to tell players how to play, were merely giving them definitions. If anyone is interested in making a suggested tactics thread, I'd be more than happy to join that discussion as well.

That being said, I'd like to thank everyone once again who have been submitting suggestions to me.

Keep them coming.

Got 3 more:

GM - Game Master, a Turbine employee whos job it is to help people who are having techincal issues while in DDO.

Dev - Developer, A forum term used to refer to Turbine employees (Whetehr or not they are actually programmers)

UMD - Use Magical Devices skill

Please check my "dev" definition, it coudl be only programmers are called Devs, but I've never heard anyone "Official" called anythign else
    Last edited by Brennie; 06-27-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Take a left at Cow Country and follow the dirt path.

Couple more:

VoN - Vault of Night

WTT - Want To Trade, usually with an item list after it
    We aren't your personal b*tch....we are the group's b*tch. - Foxil

FFS -- for F's sake!

Train -- OMGZ Train to zone

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast