Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchStriker View Post
    WHy if you're using a one handed weapon would you take THF? I see this a lot, and I don't know why, please help, thanks!
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Glancing_blow
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Mind explaining where you're getting 40 build pts? Sun elf: 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = 40. I'll presume you meant CON 12...

Thanks, a hangover from switchin races around and playing with stats. Will probably go str/con/cha: 10 int: 16
    FYI, Swift Defense doesn't stack with Expeditious Chant nor Sprint Boost; they're all typed as Action Boost bonuses. So you may be better off dropping SD to 13 APs (+20% HPs) and taking Expeditious Chant instead. If you can free enough APs, take Fast Movement from Swashbuckler.
    Fantastic - that frees up some much needed AP
    I recommend picking up Follow Up as well, for the free Melee Power boost every time you use Stunning Shield.
    Will look at that
    This will be x7 in LD: Overwhelming Crit + Devastating Crit + Headman's Chop + Howl of the North.
    Cheers - think I missed OC in my calc

Thanks for feedback
    Server: Thelanis
    Guild: Fallen Immortals
    Toons: Soza, Sozz, Sozza, Sossa (bards)

So Looking over Charming Brute...

To keep the split as is:
    I think the best I can do to mitigate down the loss of KtA would be...go Drow for a base CHA of 20 (+1 DC) retooling the enhancements to fit in Tactics from Kensai (+3 DC) and dropping pTWF for Tactician (+2 DC)...which results in: HP Loss (sorry lower CON will do that), delay in taking THF (STR issues) -5% mainhand doublestrike, lose iSB to fit in Power Attack and -1 DC over all.

I'm not sure I like the losses in this scenario.

To edit the split: 16 Bard / 4 Fighter
    Gain: 1 feat...probably Cleave...only because it'll allow for people to have more flexibility in LD to take Lay Waste or Momentum Swing, if wanted. Gain 4 AP which would probably sink into SS for either longer songs or magical training.

Overall this is a much better approach as you'll actually have gains, overall.

I'll be making some edits...and again I really apologize for posting a build that relies on a bug to increase it's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCookieQueen View Post
    Omg. I completely missed the dm + kta issue.
    Confirmation from Cordo, if you needed it.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

MCQ-

I'm intrigued by your Int striker build. With all the recent changes, are you still able to get the bonuses from both the SWF and shield mastery lines while using a buckler?

I was about to roll a 18/2rogue and use WC to get the T4 ice stun on vorpal, but I like the idea of the stunning shield and it actually has a shorter cooldown.

If I've kept up, I think those feed lines will give:

SWF: 30% speed and 6MP
    Imp shield mastery: 5 PRR (buckler) & 8% doublestrike.

Am I getting this correct? If I am understanding it so far, I like it better than what I was planning and will likely roll this later tonight!
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    With all the recent changes, are you still able to get the bonuses from both the SWF and shield mastery lines while using a buckler?
    Yes, as long as you take the Skirmisher enhancement.

Am I getting this correct? If I am understanding it so far, I like it better than what I was planning and will likely roll this later tonight!
    unbongwah answered the first question, because he's awesome like that ^^

But yes, you'll get some nice double strike and PRR gains, stunning shield is a shorter cool down and a bit more reliable to hit.

If you run this build, keep us up to date, and if you make any changes I'd love to hear about them.

Good luck and game on!

unbongwah answered the first question, because he's awesome like that ^^

But yes, you'll get some nice double strike and PRR gains, stunning shield is a shorter cool down and a bit more reliable to hit.

If you run this build, keep us up to date, and if you make any changes I'd love to hear about them.

Good luck and game on!
    Lol... I did make a change, or more like a mistake. I wanted more HP, so I bumped up CON. I double checked SWF and did not see a DEX requirement... (see where this is going?) I started with 8 DEX... so precision will come rather late on this go around.

I'm up to level 4. I went all into Harper until I got INT hit/damage and KTA. Now I'm building into Swash to get swashbuckling.
    Should a reaper see me? I think Death itself should have to make a spot check when I'm rolling up behind him. -- Krimsonrane

Lol... I did make a change, or more like a mistake. I wanted more HP, so I bumped up CON. I double checked SWF and did not see a DEX requirement... (see where this is going?) I started with 8 DEX... so precision will come rather late on this go around.

I'm up to level 4. I went all into Harper until I got INT hit/damage and KTA. Now I'm building into Swash to get swashbuckling.

Ouch! You won't be able to get Precision until at least 21 (+5 tomes don't kick in till 19) and I wouldn't recommend moving any stat increases to DEX.

I like your enhancement priorities!

Glancing Blows, THF fighting increases those for Bastard Swords
    dont you use light picks with swashbuckler since they have higher crit chance dealing alot more damage with exploit weakness?

Quote Originally Posted by faversaver View Post
    dont you use light picks with swashbuckler since they have higher crit chance dealing alot more damage with exploit weakness?
    The second build, Charming Brute, was designed to combine Warchanter with Vanguard, so there is no swashbuckling component to it. Also to note it used power attack and thf, without precision and a light weapon you couldn't take exploit weakness if you wanted to.

The first build, Intelligent Striker, uses swashbuckling and exploit weakness. I went rapier with it, but light picks could work.

Each build was designed differently to accommodate a variety of players and themes. Some people enjoy more Warchanter with ice attacks and some enjoy Swashbuckler with exploit weakness. The idea was to build around having Vanguard and you know...make unbongwah happy ^^

Since the Charming Brute has ditched the FvS splash and is going the CHA+INT-based route w/b.swords, I think PDK is clearly better than human thanks to CKT (CHA to dmg + DC bonus).
    Code:
    PDK Charming Brute
    16/4 Bard/Fighter
    True Neutral Purple Dragon Knight

Level Order

1. Fighter. . . . .6. Bard. . . . . .11. Bard . . . . . 16. Bard
    2. Bard . . . . . .7. Bard. . . . . .12. Fighter. . . . 17. Bard
    3. Bard . . . . . .8. Bard. . . . . .13. Bard . . . . . 18. Bard
    4. Bard . . . . . .9. Bard. . . . . .14. Fighter. . . . 19. Bard
    5. Bard . . . . . 10. Bard. . . . . .15. Fighter. . . . 20. Bard

Stats
    . . . . . . . .34pt. . .36pt . . Tome. . .Level Up
    . . . . . . . .----. . .---- . . ----. . .--------
    Strength. . . . 13 . . . 13. . . .+6 . . . 4: CHA
    Dexterity . . . .8 . . . .8. . . .+6 . . . 8: CHA
    Constitution. . 14 . . . 13. . . .+6 . . .12: CHA
    Intelligence. . 16 . . . 16. . . .+6 . . .16: CHA
    Wisdom. . . . . .8 . . . .8. . . .+6 . . .20: CHA
    Charisma. . . . 17 . . . 18. . . .+6 . . .24: CHA
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28: CHA

Feats

.1. . . . : Power Attack
    .1 PDK. . : Cleave
    .1 Fighter: Shield Mastery
    .3. . . . : Exotic Weapon: Bastard Sword
    .6. . . . : Great Cleave
    .9. . . . : Two Handed Fighting
    12. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
    12 Fighter: Improved Shield Mastery
    15. . . . : Improved Two Handed Fighting
    15 Fighter: Greater Two Handed Fighting
    18. . . . : Quicken Spell
    21 Epic . : Inspire Excellence
    24 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
    26 Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
    27 Epic . : Empower Healing Spell
    28 Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting

Enhancements (80 AP)

Purple Dragon Knight (3 AP)

• Damage Boost
      1. Cormyrean Knight Training
    Warchanter (39 AP)
    • Skaldic: Constitution, Weapon Training, Song of Heroism
      1. Poetic Edda III, Enchant Weapon
      2. Iced Edges III, Sprint Boost III
      3. Ironskin Chant III, Frozen Fury III
      4. Reckless Chant III, Armorer, Northwind III
      5. Chant of Power III, Howl of the North, Spinning Ice III
    Stalwart Defender (13 AP)
    • Toughness, Stalwart Defense
      1. Item Defense I, Resilient Defense III
      2. Durable Defense III, Instinctive Defense I
      3. Tenacious Defense III
    Vanguard (13 AP)
    • To the Fore!, Shield Combat I
      1. Shield Specialization, Shield Smash III
      2. Stunning Shield III
      3. Follow Up III
    Kensei (4 AP)
    • Kensei Focus: Heavy Blades
      1. Haste Boost III
    Harper Agent (8 AP)
    • Agent of Good I
      1. Harper Enchantment, Traveler's Toughness II
      2. Know the Angles III
    Based on your calcs, this build should hit CHA 52-ish, which is +21 dmg and +7 to WC DCs thanks to CKT; while INT is 42-ish, another +8 dmg & DCs from KtA. I skipped Brutality so I could add Haste Boost instead; but I think my build still has a net gain of +5 WC DCs.

EDIT: I'm trying to decide if it's worth adding Precision somewhere; that would require dropping a metamagic, though.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 05-06-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Since the Charming Brute has ditched the FvS splash and is going the CHA+INT-based route w/b.swords, I think PDK is clearly better than human thanks to CKT (CHA to dmg + DC bonus).
    Based on your calcs, this build should hit CHA 52-ish, which is +21 dmg and +7 to WC DCs thanks to CKT; while INT is 42-ish, another +8 dmg & DCs from KtA. I skipped Brutality so I could add Haste Boost instead; but I think my build still has a net gain of +5 WC DCs.

A bonus of +5 is very nice and can't argue the numbers going that route. When I was re-writing this I can admit in my haste to undo the bug in the build I didn't' double check the race ideas.

Great ideas!

EDIT: I'm trying to decide if it's worth adding Precision somewhere; that would require dropping a metamagic, though.
    I don't think I would trade in some healing capabilities for Precision and I guess to me..if you aren't running Exploit Weakness it's still cool but just not as cool.

Community Member

You run one of these yet?

I just LRed into my build, the details I posted earlier in your thread, but basically:

Dwarf 13/6/1 Bard/Fighter/FVS
    Str+Cha Based
    THF Sword and Board using Dorf Axe
    Large Shield + Medium Armour (might experiment with heavy armour and tower shields in the future, considering displacement has no ASF and I can twist cacoon, combined with anniversary healing pots for oh no moments)

I haven't finished rearranging/getting easy gear yet, but it's a lot of fun and seems very effective - great CC/decent healing/good trash dps/ok redname dps/good defences.

Some really good versatility - could easily enhancement respec into a raid tank (hps are currently low -couldn't afford the stalwart 20%, went str instead). Happy at the moment.

Thought you might want a little feedback, since there are some similarities in the builds. Certainly very viable. This is going to be pulling me away from my main a little bit (another bard )
    Last edited by BoBoDaClown; 05-10-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoDaClown View Post
    You run one of these yet?

I just LRed into my build, the details I posted earlier in your thread, but basically:

Dwarf 13/6/1 Bard/Fighter/FVS
    Str+Cha Based
    THF Sword and Board using Dorf Axe
    Large Shield + Medium Armour (might experiment with heavy armour and tower shields in the future, considering displacement has no ASF and I can twist cacoon, combined with anniversary healing pots for oh no moments)

I haven't finished rearranging/getting easy gear yet, but it's a lot of fun and seems very effective - great CC/decent healing/good trash dps/ok redname dps/good defences.

Some really good versatility - could easily enhancement respec into a raid tank (hps are currently low -couldn't afford the stalwart 20%, went str instead). Happy at the moment.

Thought you might want a little feedback, since there are some similarities in the builds. Certainly very viable. This is going to be pulling me away from my main a little bit (another bard )

Quick question...what are you getting out of fighter that's an ample trade in for the loss of 2 ice DC and the availability to take Inspire Heroics ( +2 to all stats adds in more tactical DCs, saves and etc.)?

As long as you are having a blast playing it...that's all that matters!

Ouch! You won't be able to get Precision until at least 21 (+5 tomes don't kick in till 19) and I wouldn't recommend moving any stat increases to DEX.

I like your enhancement priorities!
    I need to look closely, but I think I can push off the last fighter level to 19 when the tome kicks in (it works during level up, right?) to take precision.

I'm up to 8 now and the build plays well. My fascinates are junk, but I'm running with a great axe barbarian, so they weren't going to last long anyway! I've taken skirmisher now and that is nice.

I was going to keep working up to CDG, then I realized you don't have it. Why did you decide not to take it? I assumed that the 20% KD in swash and the stunning shield would be your helpless generators to follow up with CDG.

Thanks.

I need to look closely, but I think I can push off the last fighter level to 19 when the tome kicks in (it works during level up, right?) to take precision.

I'm up to 8 now and the build plays well. My fascinates are junk, but I'm running with a great axe barbarian, so they weren't going to last long anyway! I've taken skirmisher now and that is nice.

I was going to keep working up to CDG, then I realized you don't have it. Why did you decide not to take it? I assumed that the 20% KD in swash and the stunning shield would be your helpless generators to follow up with CDG.

Thanks.
    You can take Precision for your Fighter feat at 19 but...you won't get weapon specialization (has to be taken at fighter 4th level), which makes weapon focus not necessary.

I purposely chose to invest the 2 AP into more Vanguard than to have CDG. The APs are ridiculously tight to begin with, so I had to ask myself, in the course of a playstyle shield to the face, am I really going to worry about hitting CDG. To myself I said...ummmm no, just hit the dang thing harder.

However you can drop 2 points out of Vanguard (Shield Charge and one point out of Bulwark) to have it and that's no problem.

Community Member

Quick question...what are you getting out of fighter that's an ample trade in for the loss of 2 ice DC and the availability to take Inspire Heroics ( +2 to all stats adds in more tactical DCs, saves and etc.)?
    Tbh this was a tough decision I could easily have gone the other way. Here is my reasoning:

At least 4 fighter levels vs 3:
    I gain one feat, insightful reflexes (a heap of reflex save) in exchange for 1DC and Ottos.
    I have the option to go Stalwart 4 - I want this toon to be able to switch to tank if needed.

At least 6 fighter levels vs 4
    1) Two feats (Empower Healing and Extend) vs Inspire Excellence
    2) +5% melee combat speed, +10% Bash, +knockdown on shield vorpals vs +1 DC from bard levels
    3) I can respec into a tier 5 fighter (any tree) if I so choose (a minor consideration/bonus, since I hate TRing)

You can take Precision for your Fighter feat at 19 but...you won't get weapon specialization (has to be taken at fighter 4th level), which makes weapon focus not necessary.

I purposely chose to invest the 2 AP into more Vanguard than to have CDG. The APs are ridiculously tight to begin with, so I had to ask myself, in the course of a playstyle shield to the face, am I really going to worry about hitting CDG. To myself I said...ummmm no, just hit the dang thing harder.

However you can drop 2 points out of Vanguard (Shield Charge and one point out of Bulwark) to have it and that's no problem.
    Doh!

I may be back to taking it at 24 then. I took emp heal in its place, so that is always a fall back place to pick up precision.

Next, do you guys like Blow by Blow? I've used lots of clickie style attacks on other builds, but I'm not seeing much from this one. Is there a trick to getting better results from it? (Also, I assume it scales with perform and not spell power, since it is sonic damage. Is this correct?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast