Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default A 10 week competition with prizes

Greetings,

(This has been edited multiple times based on feedback in this thread).

I will be hosting a DDO competition over the coming 10 weeks. I will be handing out $100 worth of TP codes as prizes from my own pocket and Cordovan will be donating some prizes as well. Details at the end of this post.

Each week a "task" will be put forth by me posting it on the forum. The task will not be known ahead of time but the rough level range will be know as per the list later in this post.
    Rounds will overlap some to allow more people to take part even if other obligations means they cannot play a particular week(end). The timetable will be:
    Round 1: Wed 22th April - Sun 3rd May
    Round 2: Wed 29th April - Sun 10th May
    Round 3: Wed 6th May - Sun 17th May
    etc

Tasks will be either
    A) Complete quest x on heroic elite either solo (solo cannot include hireling either) or in a group strictly on 1st life characters without reentering the quest on as low level characters as possible (for a group the highest level character in the group is what counts) OR
    B) Complete challange y with no higher than level z characters either solo or in a group strictly on 1st life characters and gain as many points as possible.
    Thus tasks will not be centered around level 28 characters but instead around 1st life heroic level characters. I understand if some people would have preferred a focus on level 28 characters but thats simply not the focus in thus particular competition.

Tasks will be roughly in level order in case anyone wants to use the same character for all rounds leveling that character as we go. It could look something like this (details are subject to change):
    Round 1: Level 3 quest (Kobold Assault, minimum level to run is lvl 1)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Kobold-Assault
    Round 1 is now CLOSED.
    Round 2: Level 5 quest (A small Problem, minimum level to run is lvl 3)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-small-Problem
    Round 2 is now CLOSED.
    Round 3: Level 7 quest (run The Pit or ToEE p1, minimum level to run is lvl 4)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Pit-or-ToEE-p1
    Round 3 is now CLOSED.
    Round 4: Level 14 Challange (Kobold Assault, must be run with lvl 7 characters)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...4-Kobold-Chaos
    Round 4 is now CLOSED.
    Round 5: Level 12 quest (ADQ1 and as a bonus ADQ2, minimum level to run is lvl 9)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...on-ROUND-5-ADQ
    Round 5 is now CLOSED.
    Round 6: Level 14 quest (Madstone Crater, minimum level to run is lvl 10)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...UND-6-Madstone
    Round 6 is now CLOSED.
    Round 7: Level 18 quests (Terminal Delirium and in the Demon's Den, minimum level to run is lvl 14)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...82#post5624682
    Round 7 is now CLOSED.
    Round 8: Eveningstar Challenge (lvl 15 to run)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...tar-Challang8s
    Round 8 is now CLOSED.
    Round 9: Level 19 quest (WGU, minimum level to run is lvl 15)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...08#post5634508
    Round 9 is now CLOSED.
    Round 10: The finale so expect something special. And its Devils Assault.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Devils-Assault
    Round 10 is now CLOSED.
    Each round will be posted in a seperate thread.

The competition is between players not characters so points are awarded to the player (given by his/her forum name). Points are awarded seperately for solo play and group play as follows:

Type A task:
    10 points: Everyone that completes on the lowest level achieved.
    8 points: Everyone that completes on the lowest level +1.
    5 points: Everyone that completes on the lowest level +2.
    2 points: Everyone that completes on the lowest level +3.

Type B task:
    All scores posted within the first 24 hours get a +5% bonus to encourage early posting.
    11 points: The first player/group with the highest score
    10 points: Everyone that completes with a score of 90% or more of the highest score.
    8 points: Everyone that completes with a score of 80-90% of the highest score.
    5 points: Everyone that completes with a score of 70-80% of the highest score.
    2 points: Everyone that completes with a score of 50-70% of the highest score.

For group play the same player may be part of many groups that submit completions but will only be awarded points once based on the group that did best.
    The same player / group can rerun and post as many completions as they like but will only be awarded points based on their best completion.

When submitting a completion screenshots will be needed:
    - For solo, full xp report (showing quest, quest difficulty, kill count to verify members in group, number of deaths, and completion time) and the character sheet to show that it's a first life and the character's level.
    - In a group, full xp report (with same info as listed for solo), a screenshot with all members' names showing so you can see if they have wings or not (to verify they are first life).

Scores will be tallied for:
    - solo play
    - group play
    - guild
    - server

The scoreboard may be seen in this file (download to be able to sort by name, guild, server etc)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvs7zv6oig...oard.xlsx?dl=0

Prizes
    Solo winner gets a 2500 tp code
    Solo runner up gets a 1550 tp code
    Group winner gets a 2500 tp code
    Group runner up gets a 1550 tp code
    In case of a tie a random die roll will decide who wins.

Cordovan has donated the following:

10 participants drawn randomly from those with atleast 30 points scored will each get to pick an item of their own choice from this list:
    Battleworn Shield of Cyr
    Eternal Titan Wand
    Lousy Chainshirt or Docent
    Lucky Hat
    Robe of Trivial Knowledge
    Scary Festival Mask
    Scepter of Syberis

Shen's Robe
    Spooky Festival Mask
    Tainted Helm of Mystery
    Tchurval's Kukri
    Wayfinder's Scepter
    Snowy Owlbear Creature Companion
    Winter Wolf Pup Creature Companion
    Merry Mimic Creature Companion
    Dusty Air Elemental Creature Companion

Additionally, another 30 people also drawn randomly from those who achieved a score of 30 points or more will win a
    Lousy Chainshirt or Docent

I realise some of the rules set forth require people to be honest and accept that on faith (which some will probably see as a problem but I have decided not to).
    Last edited by mikarddo; 07-20-2015 at 02:55 AM.
    Danskerne
    A Danish Guild on Ghallanda. Send PM if interested.
    Leading Raids Thursdays from 20 CET and Sundays from 21 CET.

Isn't that you can enter only the quest 5 level higher mechanic still on place?

Cool stuff tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Isn't that you can enter only the quest 5 level higher mechanic still on place?

Cool stuff tho.
    Probably. I doubt thats much of an issue though if you are to run Terminal Delirum om HE for example - but I could be underestimating my fellow DDO players
    Should I take your reply to mean that you are interesting in participating?
    Danskerne

I like the idea if some of my guilders are game to run static.

My one thought is a lvl range for quests should be chosen prior to the events start so all entrances have a fair chance to level a first lifer to that range.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Probably. I doubt thats much of an issue though if you are to run Terminal Delirum om HE for example - but I could be underestimating my fellow DDO players
    Should I take your reply to mean that you are interesting in participating?
    I am not sure how time consuming it will be, so I have to say no for now. But I am pretty sure you will get enough people as it's really interesting competition. The level restriction is bummer however. Would be fun running Tempest Spine on level 2 characters or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    I like the idea if some of my guilders are game to run static.

My one thought is a lvl range for quests should be chosen prior to the events start so all entrances have a fair chance to level a first lifer to that range.
    I see your point but between veteran for level 7 and iconics for any level up to 15 and the ease of levelling a first lifer I hope that wont be a major issue. I very much expect participants not to use the same character all through the competition and that levels will variate throughout.
    Danskerne

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I see your point but between veteran for level 7 and iconics for any level up to 15 and the ease of levelling a first lifer I hope that wont be a major issue. I very much expect participants not to use the same character all through the competition and that levels will variate throughout.
    I was thinking more for a convieniance.

Example of I could roll up a Single Vet 2 or Iconic to a certain level to use through the whole event I'd be more likely to delete one of my bank toon alts to do so.

I guess with Iconics if the event took place in advancing level order it wouldn't be too bad.

But, I couldn't see myself actually leveling a toon for this

or everyone having Iconics so if they needed to level a toon they wouldn't have to level a new one new week.

Like week 1 lvl 1-2 quest unannounced

Week 2 lvl 3-4

Etc...

I would be in on this. And as far as adding in some goodies to the pot. I play on g-land, and am certain I could go through the old bank and TR cache's to find goodies worth throwing in. I would love to find a reason to use the iconics I picked up as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal_Lannes View Post
    Now you aren't a cookie cuttter, you are a character with unique gear and layouts and not everyone has the same mass produced epic ethereal bracers from the ghostly beholder factory.

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

I would be interested in this so you can all laugh at how awful I am
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/jobus1221/
    YouTube Channel
    -My main is Jobus on Khyber but I do play my alts regularly -

I would like to suggest that you make sure to give us all enough warning as to when the newest challenge will be posted so we can be ready.

I also found a couple of things I will throw in for the G-Land Pot

Now you aren't a cookie cuttter, you are a character with unique gear and layouts and not everyone has the same mass produced epic ethereal bracers from the ghostly beholder factory.

I would for sure be interested,

I am always up for anykind of challenge (except puzzles) in DDO

Community Member

Sounds like fun, but maybe some adjustments should help. As you see not many ppl have much time for gaming.
    So rule that The first player/group post result = max points isnt friendly for casual gamers due fact that they have time for play just once a week.
    And that +2 points may be decider. Another thing is how you check that noone cheating? What can be supposed to be cheat? Maybe well equiped toon/party. Spending tons of sp drinks, tornado pots? Just imagine what is possible.
    Another think is 28pts build vs champion build. For vets and vip its good advantage.

So if playing real challange with equal conditions than it would need something like fresh server. That wouldnt affect bank toons too. Or play maybe on that wayfinder. And again there is a think if you arent vip, you cant open quest elite..

But generaly I like that idea.

Community Manager

Sounds cool, you can count me in for ten prizes of some kind. We can discuss in PM or whatever.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Seems like a cool idea. I would be interested in participating.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    If our only source for balancing Normal difficulty was these boards we'd be out of business pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    This is the official forum. Wear a thick skin and abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Community Member

count me in

Is this a playing competition, or a character building competition?

I ask because if we're free to choose our own build and gear, it will likely just come down to whoever has the best build.

If each challenge has a predetermined build + gear combination you must use, then it will come down to who is the best player.

Gear is the biggest issue. I'm not grinding out gear (like a Tiefling Assassin's Blade) for a throw-away character. But how to determine gear? I suppose starter gear is the easiest, since everyone gets the same starter gear for Vet level 4, Vet2 level 7 and iconic level 15s.

Tentatively count me in, but if I have to grind up gear to be competitive I'll likely drop out.

Community Member

Are the challenges time based or will it be something creative someone will be coming up with?

Also to expend on the idea, without knowing if you had f2p or all quests in mind, this could serve to showcase some of the less run quests in the game. If videos where to be made, it could also be a starting point for some guides. And one of my own, you could sometimes throw in some "class challenges" which would have to be completed with a certain character. Or no named items. Just certain restrictions I guess.

Only weakness I see is : I can see major twinks stealing the show due to raw items power at lower levels.

Looking good.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Yeah as a 10 week challenge we could get a little of this and a little of that. Like have the "just do it Elminster!" challenge. Pick your Iconic, follow one of the pre-built paths, tell that Elminster guy to just do it, and roll just the starter gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Like week 1 lvl 1-2 quest unannounced

Week 2 lvl 3-4

Etc...
    The lowest levels are probably not good for the format I am using but I will consider if I can make a list for all 10 weeks and post the levels that will be used at the start. Not a bad idea as it can be handled within the format I have decided upon.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 04-19-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    Danskerne

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast