Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 301 to 309 of 309
  1. #301
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Human works fine, it won't destroy the build or anything, it's just going to be worse than PDK because you can't access Silvanus. But it's essentially the same in all other areas. The only other notable differences between the races is the forced first level and slight differences in their enhancement trees.
    Okay!

  2. #302
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    127

    Default

    What about Bladeforged?

    It strikes me they get Greatsword as a favored weapon.

    Axle, do you feel as if there's *no* viable Warpriest build? Recognizing that Falconry is superior, and acknowledging your argument in this regard, I keep trying to build a Warhammer and Shield build. Is it just a waste of time? I had decent success (in my own mind) with Warpriest + Falconry (warpriest for various things like PRR, Increased to hit and damage with warhammers, the healing strike, and the Tier 5 ability, and then the AOE falconry strike and one other), but I don't know if I was just being carried.

    My goal was to play this life as a weapon and shield melee cleric, but I'm worried it's just super gimpy.

    Thanks.

  3. #303
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    What about Bladeforged?

    It strikes me they get Greatsword as a favored weapon.

    Axle, do you feel as if there's *no* viable Warpriest build? Recognizing that Falconry is superior, and acknowledging your argument in this regard, I keep trying to build a Warhammer and Shield build. Is it just a waste of time? I had decent success (in my own mind) with Warpriest + Falconry (warpriest for various things like PRR, Increased to hit and damage with warhammers, the healing strike, and the Tier 5 ability, and then the AOE falconry strike and one other), but I don't know if I was just being carried.

    My goal was to play this life as a weapon and shield melee cleric, but I'm worried it's just super gimpy.

    Thanks.
    Warpriest is definitely viable, just not optimal because it's IMO strictly worse than Falconry in pretty much every area that matters. So there's really no reason to use it over Falconry. But everyone doesn't have to min/max. If you're having fun with your build, don't worry about it. Falconry is a really good tree so I doubt you're overly gimp anyways.

    But in terms of min/maxing, if you're using both Warpriest and Falconry I'm assuming you're giving up Radiant Servant so I'd also assume the character isn't a primary party/raid healer. So in that case you'd IMO be better off playing a different class with better DPS trees. The only thing clerics are better at than all other classes is healing. So if you aren't building your cleric to be a primary healer there really isn't much point to playing cleric over a better DPS class.

    If you want a sword and board type that does a bit of secondary healing, building a paladin vanguard is probably going to fit the archetype you're looking to play much better.
    Last edited by axel15810; 02-24-2019 at 12:16 AM.

  4. #304
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    Warpriest is definitely viable, just not optimal because it's IMO strictly worse than Falconry in pretty much every area that matters. So there's really no reason to use it over Falconry. But everyone doesn't have to min/max. If you're having fun with your build, don't worry about it. Falconry is a really good tree so I doubt you're overly gimp anyways.

    But in terms of min/maxing, if you're using both Warpriest and Falconry I'm assuming you're giving up Radiant Servant so I'd also assume the character isn't a primary party/raid healer. So in that case you'd IMO be better off playing a different class with better DPS trees. The only thing clerics are better at than all other classes is healing. So if you aren't building your cleric to be a primary healer there really isn't much point to playing cleric over a better DPS class.

    If you want a sword and board type that does a bit of secondary healing, building a paladin vanguard is probably going to fit the archetype you're looking to play much better.
    Had a feeling that was the answer. I watched myself struggle to do much of anything to trash mobs on R1 today (in part because I'm still rocking a Level 10 Ravenloft warhammer), and realized just how little I've actually been contributing in terms of melee DPS so far. I'm going to try to flip to your build for a while and commit to thf and see if that gives me what I need (though, I don't have access to Sylvanus on this toon yet, so I'll be a little gimped in that regard).

    Thanks!

  5. #305
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Axel,

    I've been using several variations of this build and most most recent one is a T5 Radiant Servant, Tier 4 warpriest and Tier 4 Falconry. War domain, Human, at the moment. I'm using 14/4/2 cleric/fighter/monk. AC bonus is very nice. Using Aeron and quarterstaves....

    However, I think I'd like to make a STR based half orc, same domain, but possibly 15/3/2 cleric barb fighter in order to get Supreme Cleave. I like that there is so much synergy in the trees of monk and even rogue, though.

    If I wanted to be a tier 5 Radiant servant along with H-Orc, what would be the best class split for me do you think?

    I REALLY like the idea of a H-Orc cleric and whatever else to boost his damage. would Barb or monk/rouge be better if using those trees?

    Monk is extra feats and I get Master of Forms for an additional str bonus and +1 multiplier....

    I'm so confused! ahhhhhh

    any clues man? I guess I'm looking for a build based on at least tier 5 radiant servant and 14 cleric. Qstaves are alluring due to warpriest tree, but I could always dump that if rogue or monk or barbarian gave me an edge for damage.
    Last edited by dbik; 02-25-2019 at 08:38 PM.

  6. #306
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel
    axel15810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    3,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    Axel,

    I've been using several variations of this build and most most recent one is a T5 Radiant Servant, Tier 4 warpriest and Tier 4 Falconry. War domain, Human, at the moment. I'm using 14/4/2 cleric/fighter/monk. AC bonus is very nice. Using Aeron and quarterstaves....

    However, I think I'd like to make a STR based half orc, same domain, but possibly 15/3/2 cleric barb fighter in order to get Supreme Cleave. I like that there is so much synergy in the trees of monk and even rogue, though.

    If I wanted to be a tier 5 Radiant servant along with H-Orc, what would be the best class split for me do you think?

    I REALLY like the idea of a H-Orc cleric and whatever else to boost his damage. would Barb or monk/rouge be better if using those trees?

    Monk is extra feats and I get Master of Forms for an additional str bonus and +1 multiplier....

    I'm so confused! ahhhhhh

    any clues man? I guess I'm looking for a build based on at least tier 5 radiant servant and 14 cleric. Qstaves are alluring due to warpriest tree, but I could always dump that if rogue or monk or barbarian gave me an edge for damage.
    Half-Orc is my favorite race, I've ran Horc clerics before. They're fun.

    If I were to run one now and try and make use of the racial tree I'd definitely do a destruction domain Horc Cleric-Barbarian. Using mix of Horc Tree/Barb Tree/Radiant Servant. It'd be tons of fun. Not sure on class split, I'd have to look into it more and figure out what I'd wanted to take as far as the barb trees go. But atleast 4 or 5 levels barb.
    Last edited by axel15810; 02-26-2019 at 03:58 PM.

  7. #307
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Montegue View Post
    Had a feeling that was the answer. I watched myself struggle to do much of anything to trash mobs on R1 today (in part because I'm still rocking a Level 10 Ravenloft warhammer), and realized just how little I've actually been contributing in terms of melee DPS so far. I'm going to try to flip to your build for a while and commit to thf and see if that gives me what I need (though, I don't have access to Sylvanus on this toon yet, so I'll be a little gimped in that regard).

    Thanks!
    A Falchion could be a very good replacement for a Maul. This way you could still follow Axels build guide with just a few changes.
    Last edited by Coffey; 03-05-2019 at 02:35 AM.

  8. #308
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbik View Post
    Axel,

    I've been using several variations of this build and most most recent one is a T5 Radiant Servant, Tier 4 warpriest and Tier 4 Falconry. War domain, Human, at the moment. I'm using 14/4/2 cleric/fighter/monk. AC bonus is very nice. Using Aeron and quarterstaves....

    any clues man? I guess I'm looking for a build based on at least tier 5 radiant servant and 14 cleric. Qstaves are alluring due to warpriest tree, but I could always dump that if rogue or monk or barbarian gave me an edge for damage.
    I'd go with 32 Radiant / 23 Warpriest / 25 Falconry
    Don't be fooled by Righteous Weapons line, it's a trap, especially if you don't take t5 in Warpriest.
    A good base damage / crit profile weapon such as Tail of the Scorpion, Tremor or Torn will end up doing much more DPS than a quarterstaff with +3 to hit/damage.
    Onatar is best if using off-deity weapon. Onatar's Forge Gives you a clicky with 10 melee power, +3 tactical DCs (and +30 repair amplification if you are warforged)
    Arlandina / Bayanessa of Argonnessen

  9. #309
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default My take on Cleric\Falconry\Warpriest

    After reviewing the experts stuff available on Cleric/Falconry, and through my own experiences having primarily been devoted to Cleric Warpriest-ish toons, I came up with my own hybrid tree selections. However I am going to try Axel's version pretty much as detailed at the start of this thread {He would take all points in Warpriest and move them to Falconry\Radiant Servant}. The selections are a hybrid 3 tree attempt at reaching the goal stated at the beginning of the thread:

    Goal - Melee Cleric with as much DPS as possible while still meeting minimum standards of being a main party healer in Reaper and in Raids. Using Falconry with WIS to hit/damage with a focus on Two Handed Fighting utilizing Silvanus with Mauls. This build is able to both contribute solid melee DPS/Crowd Control and heal the party.

    I have a few different situational facts tho about my toon. My character has 9 past lives (actually soon will) - three past lives in Human, three Cleric, three Paladin, plus a +2 racial tree tome {for 3 "free" Racial Action Points counting one from 3 past Human lives} and a "free" universal AP for Falconry for a total of 84. Also, I have +8 to all stats from tomes and +5 to nearly all skills, and for this posts purposes, all skills that matter to this discussion. I offer here simply the enhancement tree I came up with attempting to capture the"best" of three trees, four if you count the three free points in Racial...Radiant Servant, Warpriest and Falconry. Finally I am not going into the variables around race\feat\gearing\skills selections as these would make the post very long and has been covered well and I generally agree with Axels take on them. For example my image below shows human but it should be PDK.

    I am looking for simpler advice - I am interested very much in feed back on the tree selection in light of Axels stated goal, which I am aiming at.

    I have attached an image of the tress. The keys to the trees, IMO, are in the red circles, all other stuff is filler in my mind...some better then others, some crappy.

    Keys to trees:

    Racial tree & Universal Ability Point: The 3 "free" Racial - gets me 20% healing amp {plus the 30% from 3 past lives Paladin} plus 1 free Universal used in Falconry

    Radiant Servant:
    Only one key really...the healing Aura at the top. Tried it last life, it is over-powered IMO, very nice at worst. Secondarily, not circled, is the regeneration of Turns called Endless Turns - and with 3 past lives in Cleric I have a decent amount of turns to start with so it feels like one point in each "turn" ability is enough.

    A secondary note on Divine Healing in the Radiant Servant tree (not circled). Axel did not choose it in his 2 tree build but I have found that if I can get the group to sit still for a bit before we pull I can Divine Heal the 2-4 members that are likely to need it. It provides a long duration (over 2 minutes) heal over time that adds up to a lot over a minute or two of constant healing every 2 seconds. Combined with the Positive Energy Aura from the top of the Radiant Servant and the previously discussed Smite Foe AOE healing coming in often from the Warpriest tree, that is a lot of AOE and heal over time ticks going out.
    Also, with Divine Healing, I can sneak it in during the fight especially on those that do have some sustainability of their own and this little boost of healing they get is many times all they need during the fight given the Aura and AOE healing going out as well. This combo of Healing Aura\Smite Foe AOE heal\Pre fight Selective Diving Healing supports the goal of doing credible DPS as the less time I have to spend pushing heal buttons during a fight the more DPS\CC I can do.

    Warpriest:
    Two keys, maybe three. Ameliorating strike top left applies a good AOE Heal and Lesser Restoration on each use which has a fairly short cooldown, plus the other stuff that comes with the Smite Foe chain, as I think of it, including the chance at knockdown when casters attack me with spells. and a party wide damage increase as an escalating % to my Smite Foe target, especially over time if target is a boss or high HP critter. Also, the Inflame\Greater Inflame which I believe is a serious AOE buff for offense and defense applied to all around in a LARGE circle for AC, Attack, Damage, Saving Throws and Damage Absorption plus the Melee Power Action Boost.

    Falconry:
    Two circles. The little one is what converts Wisdom to Hit and Damage so you can Wisdom stack V Strength. This allows melee damage with high spell points and other good stuff from very high Wisdom. The bigger circle is a ton of stuff your bird does.

    Falconry Summary
    ...Over the course of a few turns\attacks by the bird, some are passive some are activated, but in about 14 -16 seconds if you used them back to back (sneaking in other stuff between the Avian enforced global cooldown)...It does; Some decent DAMAGE , TRIPS your opponent causing them to be HELPLESS {increasing your melee damage}, SLOWED by 30%, BLINDING your opponent causing them to be HELPLESS {increasing your melee damage}, Applies a decent BLEED if on a boss or high HP critter doing damage every 2 sec for 60 sec, Every attack has a chance to add a charge to "Deadly Instincts" which increases the chances for TACTICAL FEATS to go off, Deal 30% MORE DAMAGE TO HELPLESS opponents virtually full time GUARANTEED (this is very good), Activates an AOE CLEAVE and attempts to BLIND your opponent again {Helpless chance again}, and finally, REDUCES THE FORTIFICATION BY 50% of your opponent....this is huge on its own.


    That's a lot ^^^^^ - It produces a medium damage, medium tanky, defensive and offensive buff\heal bot, many of which are party-wide\AOE buffs\heals\target debuffs, with a bird that causes havoc. The toon is not easy to kill, not that easy to kill his friends either with that strong healing AOE aura, if backed by proper choices to boost it, plus the AOE heal from Ameliorating Strike coming in often from the Warpriest tree.

    Split

    19 Cleric\1 Fighter - I like the extra feat(s) and the Cleric capstone\final core in Radiant Servant is mediocre and perhaps not needed IMO. Also of note, as Axel said at the start you Wis\Con stack and the Char\Str split at the start is somewhat tome dependent. Having a +8 Str tome allows me to Char stack a bit as well gaining UMD and Turns both of which come in handy.

    Feedback welcome and appreciated about the 3 trees, as to go into 3 trees, inevitable compromises had to be made, such as not taking all three of something for example, or skipping enhancements that can be had in other ways through items\enchantments\augments or consumables (Blur, Haste). Finally, any separate but related comments on whether this achieves Axels 2 tree stated goal better\worse\about the same and why.

    Goal: Melee Cleric with as much DPS as possible while still meeting minimum standards of being a main party healer in Reaper and in Raids. Using Falconry with WIS to hit/damage with a focus on Two Handed Fighting utilizing Silvanus with Mauls. This build is able to both contribute solid melee DPS/Crowd Control and heal the party."

    Last edited by Anashan; 06-30-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload