Community Member

Default Quest Chain bugged - "What Goes Up"

I was doing the secret of the Storm Horns chain, and got to the final quest 'What goes up', but cannot progress the quest.

I talked to Kara Patwin, which directs me to the npc that gives the quest, "Sherrod Starym", however, talking to the npc results in: http://i.imgur.com/cA6crCI.jpg
    On my quest journal it shows 'What Goes up' as complete, and I cannot abandon the quest either. If I try, it gives me a dialogue that says "You cannot abandon that quest because it is part of a story arc that is currently in progress (Bring word to Kara Patwin). When I enter the dungeon it also displays an error message that I not on the right quest. So I can't progress and can't abandon quest, and am completely stuck.

I did all the quests with a friend, and his chain progresses perfectly fine, no error messages for him talking to the npc or entering the quest. It's just mine that is mysteriously bugged.
    Now he's stuck waiting on me and we can't complete multiple saga's that require this nor get the end ring reward we really want from this quest completion =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by raindream View Post
    I was doing the secret of the Storm Horns chain, and got to the final quest 'What goes up', but cannot progress the quest.

I talked to Kara Patwin, which directs me to the npc that gives the quest, "Sherrod Starym", however, talking to the npc results in: http://i.imgur.com/cA6crCI.jpg
    On my quest journal it shows 'What Goes up' as complete, and I cannot abandon the quest either. If I try, it gives me a dialogue that says "You cannot abandon that quest because it is part of a story arc that is currently in progress (Bring word to Kara Patwin). When I enter the dungeon it also displays an error message that I not on the right quest. So I can't progress and can't abandon quest, and am completely stuck.

I did all the quests with a friend, and his chain progresses perfectly fine, no error messages for him talking to the npc or entering the quest. It's just mine that is mysteriously bugged.
    Now he's stuck waiting on me and we can't complete multiple saga's that require this nor get the end ring reward we really want from this quest completion =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I had this exact same problem. I ended up just paying astral shards (grudgingly) to finish my saga and then doing a tr.

Here's another weird one. One of my characters has no option to return to the spinners prison from eveningstar cavern even though i have completed the Spinner of Shadows chain multiple times.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Bug it. Be as detailed as possible. Like was there lag when you were hitting certain objectives, dc'd, etc.

Community Member

Did a few quests in inspired quarter before this, than followed through and did this chain in proper order, talking to Kara Patwin to advance the quest chain each time (she will ask you to talk to an npc who gives you the next quest). No lag, no dc's, completed quest 1-4 perfectly normal with no issues. Completed them with 1 other person, who also started them fresh at the same time, and has no problem advancing the chain at the final quest unlike me.

For the final part, talked to Kara Patwin who asks me to talk to Sherrod Starym: http://i.imgur.com/Pj0oum8.png

Sherrod Starym, who had a empty cup above him before (which shows when you have not flagged for the quest) now shows a proper quest advancement symbol above him. However, talking to him displays the same dialogue as if you have not progressed the quest. Both quest advancement symbol and erroneous dialogue shown here: http://i.imgur.com/cA6crCI.jpg

Going to the quest location itself and clicking the door displays this error message: http://i.imgur.com/R8A1jHE.png

In my quest log, it mistakenly shows What Goes Up as completed: http://i.imgur.com/EGC7hbo.png

I am also unable to abandon the quest: http://i.imgur.com/2vuMXiN.jpg

I am at a loss at what to do, and it's really killing my motivation to play now. My friend is stuck waiting while I try to figure this out =(

Community Member

Default Quest Fixed

Ok, I managed to fix the problem.
    First I had someone who was flagged enter the quest, then invite me. This allows me to enter even with the "you are not on this quest" error message. Completing the quest still does not allow me to interact with Sherrod Starym, so I had no quest reward, but it did allow me to finish and reset the chain at Kara Patwin.
    This reset Sherrod Starym, and the what goes up quest, and I was able to finally take and complete the quest normally.

I'm a bit annoyed I wasted my holiday break on this without any help, I had planned to have a long holiday play session with friends, but I understand the GM's are probably are on holiday as well so it's all good I guess.

Community Member

I wonder if these problems aren't a result of completing some quests on heroic and other on epic.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I wonder if these problems aren't a result of completing some quests on heroic and other on epic.
    The npc for heroic and epic are different though I believe? The epic quest npc is beside Kara Patwin.
    I did the full chain on heroic and didn't mix them, but what you say could be another factor.
    I'm boggled that I was not allowed to abandon the quest in order to try and fix it that way. If I was playing solo I would have just been permanently stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raindream View Post
    The npc for heroic and epic are different though I believe? The epic quest npc is beside Kara Patwin.
    I did the full chain on heroic and didn't mix them, but what you say could be another factor.
    I'm boggled that I was not allowed to abandon the quest in order to try and fix it that way. If I was playing solo I would have just been permanently stuck.
    I had this problem myself on one of my characters and I had run 3 of the 4 quests on Heroic to show a friend of mine the dungeons in stormhorns. Once I ran the 4th one on Heroic the NPC for What Goes Up would talk to me and allowed me access to the Epic What Goes Up without the "you are not on the right quest" message.

I believe this issue also plagues the Wheloon Series as it is two Quest Givers for the same One set of NPCs for each quest.

I have reported this months ago myself. I imagine others have as well.

Community Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    I believe this issue also plagues the Wheloon Series as it is two Quest Givers for the same One set of NPCs for each quest.

I have reported this months ago myself. I imagine others have as well.
    Yeah, reported. Reflagging was suggested - it did not work.

So, if you are now not able to get a saga because of already skipped 2, and can't take WGU... well, screwed huh?

Is there any way to find out when this will be fixed?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by WartieDruid View Post

So, if you are now not able to get a saga because of already skipped 2, and can't take WGU... well, screwed huh?

Red boxed quests still count towards your saga just not chain end rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by WartieDruid View Post

Reflagging is not what I suggested. I was able to resolve this by flagging the heroic version of WGU. This had me flagged both for Heroic and Epic. Again for me this was caused by having both Quest chains going where one of the quests chains (in my case Heroic) was not as complete as the other quest chain (Epic).

Take the chance to talk with both chain starters for this series. Figure out which one is not asking you about the WGU quest and "catch-up" that chain. Worst case is it does not fix the issue and you end up with Stormhorns heroic level quest rewards for TR purposes. Best case you can remove the Red box from the WGU quest.

Default Both Stuck

I ran into the same issue as the OP for the Heroic line so I tried flagging the Epic line to see if Sherrod Starym would advance the quest line but no dice. Both Epic and Heroic lines seem to be stuck in the same spot now. I could not find any other thread on this issue. Has anyone had any luck besides piggy backing on someone else that was able to flag through correctly?

Thanks.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Jhasmyne, Desideratum, Temere, Debacchor, Fidicina, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baahb3 View Post
    I ran into the same issue as the OP for the Heroic line so I tried flagging the Epic line to see if Sherrod Starym would advance the quest line but no dice. Both Epic and Heroic lines seem to be stuck in the same spot now. I could not find any other thread on this issue. Has anyone had any luck besides piggy backing on someone else that was able to flag through correctly?

Thanks.
    The GM had suggested I reflag. Kara was the heroic NPC with the arrow & assumed to be one to address. Reflagging did not work. WGU heroic Quest could not be shared.

Red boxed heroic WGU with some guildies. No quest end reward, but did get the chain end reward. Saga issue resolved.

WGU Issues Resolved by red boxing heroic based on Kara having arrow pointing to her.