Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default swashbuckling evasion barb

I was in this EE CITW run on a dwarven swashbuckler. I had my SP drained. I couldn't hjeal meh.

I want to brainstorm a similar barbarian-based SWF swashbuckler, going T5 in Ravager for passive healing via Blood Strength (and for Crit Rage).

For example 12 Barbarian / 6 Bard / 2 Rogue. Perhaps with Light Picks (20x4 base, 19-20x4 swash, 18-20x4 div crusader, 15-20x4 imp.crit, 13-20x4 crit rage).

Light armor cause swashbuckling. So maybe fit in evasion. Maybe secondary Int for harper and insightful reflexes and possibly trap skills.

Feats: SWF. Cleaves. Precision. Shield Masteries (borked on Lama).
    AP: 36 in Ravager. 11+ in Swashbuckler. Maybe 21+ in FB for cleave and cores.

maybe 11barb/7bard/2rog 11barb will get you great rage, and 7 bard access to displacement
    G-land, Balistas Magicas, Bashukar Bloodaxe, Kobur Curse of Dragon, Necromatix

If there is going to be a FOTM or something similar coming from the barb changes, I had been thinking that something like this will be it. Not saying anything bad about it, just saying.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Feats: SWF. Cleaves. Precision. Shield Masteries (borked on Lama).
    FYI, last time I checked, Rage effects disable Precision. Might wanna test before you commit.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

For example 12 Barbarian / 6 Bard / 2 Rogue. Perhaps with Light Picks (20x4 base, 19-20x4 swash, 18-20x4 div crusader, 15-20x4 imp.crit, 13-20x4 crit rage).
    Does crit rage not apply before imp crit? And does crit rage stack with swashbuckling stance?

And as unbongwah said, precision isn't supposed to work with rage effects.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

Community Member

okay, precision is out. saves a feat.
    crit rage is unfortunately not doubled with improved crit. it does stack with all other crit increases though, as far as i can tell.
    I would not want to go below 12 barb levels because the lvl12 core passives are nice (hp, healamp). Also, more barbarian levels should result in better passive healing.

okay, precision is out. saves a feat.
    crit rage is unfortunately not doubled with improved crit. it does stack with all other crit increases though, as far as i can tell.
    I would not want to go below 12 barb levels because the lvl12 core passives are nice (hp, healamp). Also, more barbarian levels should result in better passive healing.
    Did you build this? I'm looking to do something very similar.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Community Member

Here is a Barb-Bard build that should fits most of your requirements.

It's a Shadar-Kai Barbarian 15 / Bard 3 / Rouge 2

This makes a flexible swashbuckling barbarian with full trapping capability and a high UMD for good self sufficiency. Note that with this guy you want to be raging most of the time, however, this does limit the ability to use the rouge skills. Dismiss rage when trapping etc. At level 20 go with Divine Crusader ED, "No Remorse" in combination with a Devotion item really keeps the healing rolling in.

This guy uses Dex for damage as it's cheaper to get maxed for a Shadar-kai and helps keep those reflex saves high enough to utilize evasion.

I only put 7 points in balance (minimum required for SWF feats) as Ravager Uncanny Balance makes any more unnecessary.

I kitted out at level 15 with the swashbuckler shield from Crystal Cove event, and black dragonhide armor. Keep the starting Shadar-Kai gear handy as is great for trapping. Envenomed blade offers nice CC at lvl 16. Switch to Blade of the High Priestess at lvl 21 and Balizarde at 23.

Important: Make sure you are not Lawful alignment, otherwise you won't be able to take Barbarian at level 2.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

BlackSheep 
    Level 21 Neutral Good Shadar-Kai Male
    (15 Barbarian \ 2 Rogue \ 3 Bard \ 1 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 448
    Spell Points: 151 
    BAB: 18\18\23\28\28
    Fortitude: 18
    Reflex: 17
    Will: 9

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 21)
    Strength             12                    16
    Dexterity            18                    22
    Constitution         17                    26
    Intelligence         12                    16
    Wisdom                8                    12
    Charisma             11                    15

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 2
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 10
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 21)
    Balance               8                    14
    Bluff                 0                     3
    Concentration         3                     9
    Diplomacy             0                     3
    Disable Device        5                    27
    Haggle                0                     3
    Heal                  1                    13
    Hide                  4                     7
    Intimidate            0                     3
    Jump                  5                     8
    Listen               -1                     2
    Move Silently         4                     7
    Open Lock             5                     8
    Perform               1.5                   5
    Repair                1                     4
    Search                5                    27
    Spellcraft            1                     4
    Spot                  3                    14
    Swim                  1                     4
    Tumble                8                    11
    Use Magic Device      4                    20

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Disable Device (+4)
    Skill: Heal (+2)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+1)
    Skill: Perform (+1.5)
    Skill: Search (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Selected) Single Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Disable Device (+1)
    Skill: Heal (+0.5)
    Skill: Spot (+1)

Level 3 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Perform (+0.5)
    Skill: Search (+1)
    Skill: Spot (+0.5)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 4 (Barbarian)
    Ability Raise: CON

Level 5 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Heal (+1)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1.5)

Level 6 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Balance (+1)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 7 (Barbarian)

Level 8 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 9 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Single Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Barbarian)

Level 11 (Barbarian)

Level 12 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 13 (Barbarian)

Level 14 (Bard)
    Skill: Spot (+2)

Level 15 (Bard)
    Skill: Disable Device (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+3)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Single Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Bard)
    Skill: Heal (+1.5)
    Skill: Search (+3)

Level 17 (Rogue)
    Skill: Disable Device (+6)
    Skill: Search (+5)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Search (+2)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 19 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Disable Device (+1.5)

Level 20 (Barbarian)

Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical
    Enhancement images below. Note I spent all 34 points in Ravager immediately at level 15 - this really helps with the survivability at lower levels with Blood Strength and Uncanny balance. Try and take the swashbuckling stuff ASAP as well.

Last edited by DrRomz; 02-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Community Member

Im planning a build close to this, 15/3/2 shadar kai, for my barb PL. Str based, though, bard only for swash, experimental version with forresters brushhook and a cove swashbuckler. Human with a different weapon would be more feat-efficient, but I want the quick PL and test the brushhook in my TR cache (actually 2, a heroic version at lvl 15 and an epic at 22)

edit: for crit rage, drop some points in occult slayer. I dont see the value of arcane encumbrance and +1 con. With a swashies crit profile, every bit of crit helps a lot. Brushhook has a x4 crit multiplier including swash, and a crit chance of about 50% (not sure about all the stacking)
    Last edited by Makkuroi; 02-10-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Makkuroi View Post
    Im planning a build close to this, 15/3/2 shadar kai, for my barb PL. Str based, though, bard only for swash
    Yes I did toy with 3 levels of bard, but the 10% dodge or 10% doublestrike from Swashbuckling Style was just too tempting. I'm still not sold on being Dex based it has pluses and minuses, particularly as rage add to Str not Dex. I'd be most interested in how your build goes with reflex saves in EE content.

For crit rage, drop some points in occult slayer. I dont see the value of arcane encumbrance and +1 con. With a swashies crit profile, every bit of crit helps a lot. Brushhook has a x4 crit multiplier including swash, and a crit chance of about 50% (not sure about all the stacking)
    Arcane encumbrance is quite good it reduces the damage from casters quite significantly, but it's really a filler to get to the 20 AP required for Blank Thoughts. The total cost to the build of dropping those enhancements is:

Slippery Mind feat
    1 DR
    1 Con
    60 HP
    5 MRR
    20 Healing Amp
    Last edited by DrRomz; 02-10-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: 3 bard discussion + spelling

Brushhook has a x4 crit multiplier including swash, and a crit chance of about 50% (not sure about all the stacking)
    Brush Hook: 19-20/x3 base -> 17-20/x4 Swashbuckling -> 13-20/x4 IC:Slash -> 11-20/x4 Crit Rage.
    Major build threads: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard / Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrRomz View Post
    Yes I did toy with 3 levels of bard, but the 10% dodge or 10% doublestrike from Swashbuckling Style was just too tempting. I'm still not sold on being Dex based it has pluses and minuses, particularly as rage add to Str not Dex. I'd be most interested in how your build goes with reflex saves in EE content.

Arcane encumbrance is quite good it reduces the damage from casters quite significantly, but it's really a filler to get to the 20 AP required for Blank Thoughts. The total cost to the build of dropping those enhancements is:

Slippery Mind feat
    1 DR
    1 Con
    60 HP
    5 MRR
    20 Healing Amp
    I dont play EE much, just going EH for bravery and EN for xp runs, so i dont have to worry about perfect defense too much.

You get swashbuckling style with 3 levels of bard already, for lvl 4 you only get swashbuckling style II which is the shield trip.
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Community Member

OK ran the numbers and dropping 3 bard levels and upping to 15 barb has more HP, healing at little cost so it's a real no-brainer - Thanks Makkuroi. I also managed to squeeze in 1 level of Rage Crit (at the cost of Elegant Footwork).

Original post updated - quite happy with this build now.

Community Member

I just TRed into the build, str based with kama as I planned. No cleaves yet so the start will be a bit slow, but with a few AP and the lvl 18 feat there wont be many problems. Crits and self-healing are quite nice, slaughter+laughter with 50% crit chance makes 6 stacks of fury quite common. The only thing im afraid of are rust monsters maybe I should get some kind of light wooden club as replacement weapon.

Unfortunately Clubs are not Light/Finesseable weapons and thus don't qualify for Swashbuckler stance. AFAICT none of the Swashbuckling weapons can come in a Wood material form. I'd say your best bet is to do some Cannith crafting and make yourself something with Everbright. My suggestion would be an Impact Light Hammer of Everbright, or maybe a Light Mace version if you want to reuse it for a Rogue life later. I assume you don't have IC: Bludgeoning, so that keeps the great crit threat range and all of your SB crit-based effects proccing. Those shards are pretty low skill (37 Divine, 50 Elemental) so you should be able to find someone to help you out. If you are on Sarlona feel free to whisper/mail me and I can help you out, although I probably will not be online again until Friday 20-Feb.

Alternatively for some reason I think that throwing weapons might not take Rust durability damage, so you might try that. If true then perhaps look for a decent throwing hammer so you can avoid splitting oozes. However I have not tested that recently, so I don't know if that's actually true or if I am misremembering.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

"The first thing you need to do when considering a halfling thrower build, is learn how to bend halflings correctly so that they return." - amnota/Trelaf of Thelanis

Community Member

Good idea about the everbright, I could either craft it on my crafter alt or even get it from AH. It would mainly be a problem for rainbow in the dark. A slashing weapon would be preferable for the IC: slash, I dont care about a ton of oozes, can always cleave them away.

Throwers work fine against rusties, I ran 2 shuriken lives so far. Unfortunately, I dont have the proficiency to use my shuriken stash.

Assassins leathers turned out to be quite a nice armor for a fresh swashbuckling Shadar Kai, 10% fort bypass and a blue slot on a light armor, and cheaper than dragonscale. So far, the build goes pretty strong, although elementals are annoying with their high fortification and DR.

Community Member

Default About to do a Shadar-Kai Barb life, what updates to make?

Quote Originally Posted by DrRomz View Post
    Here is a Barb-Bard build that should fits most of your requirements.

It's a Shadar-Kai Barbarian 15 / Bard 3 / Rouge 2

This makes a flexible swashbuckling barbarian with full trapping capability and a high UMD for good self sufficiency. Note that with this guy you want to be raging most of the time, however, this does limit the ability to use the rouge skills. Dismiss rage when trapping etc. At level 20 go with Divine Crusader ED, "No Remorse" in combination with a Devotion item really keeps the healing rolling in.

This guy uses Dex for damage as it's cheaper to get maxed for a Shadar-kai and helps keep those reflex saves high enough to utilize evasion.

I only put 7 points in balance (minimum required for SWF feats) as Ravager Uncanny Balance makes any more unnecessary.

I kitted out at level 15 with the swashbuckler shield from Crystal Cove event, and black dragonhide armor. Keep the starting Shadar-Kai gear handy as is great for trapping. Envenomed blade offers nice CC at lvl 16. Switch to Blade of the High Priestess at lvl 21 and Balizarde at 23.

Important: Make sure you are not Lawful alignment, otherwise you won't be able to take Barbarian at level 2.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 04.23.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

BlackSheep 
    Level 21 Neutral Good Shadar-Kai Male
    (15 Barbarian \ 2 Rogue \ 3 Bard \ 1 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 448
    Spell Points: 151 
    BAB: 18\18\23\28\28
    Fortitude: 18
    Reflex: 17
    Will: 9

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 21)
    Strength             12                    16
    Dexterity            18                    22
    Constitution         17                    26
    Intelligence         12                    16
    Wisdom                8                    12
    Charisma             11                    15

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 2
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 2
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 10
    +4 Tome of Strength used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 21)
    Balance               8                    14
    Bluff                 0                     3
    Concentration         3                     9
    Diplomacy             0                     3
    Disable Device        5                    27
    Haggle                0                     3
    Heal                  1                    13
    Hide                  4                     7
    Intimidate            0                     3
    Jump                  5                     8
    Listen               -1                     2
    Move Silently         4                     7
    Open Lock             5                     8
    Perform               1.5                   5
    Repair                1                     4
    Search                5                    27
    Spellcraft            1                     4
    Spot                  3                    14
    Swim                  1                     4
    Tumble                8                    11
    Use Magic Device      4                    20

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Skill: Balance (+4)
    Skill: Disable Device (+4)
    Skill: Heal (+2)
    Skill: Jump (+4)
    Skill: Open Lock (+1)
    Skill: Perform (+1.5)
    Skill: Search (+4)
    Skill: Spot (+4)
    Skill: Tumble (+4)
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Fighter
    Feat: (Selected) Single Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Barbarian)

Level 3 (Barbarian)
    Skill: Perform (+0.5)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 4 (Barbarian)

Level 5 (Barbarian)

Level 6 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 7 (Barbarian)

Level 8 (Barbarian)

Level 9 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Single Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Barbarian)

Level 11 (Barbarian)

Level 12 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 13 (Barbarian)

Level 14 (Bard)
    Skill: Spot (+2)

Level 15 (Bard)
    Skill: Disable Device (+2)
    Skill: Use Magic Device (+3)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Single Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Bard)
    Skill: Heal (+1.5)
    Skill: Search (+3)

Level 17 (Rogue)
    Skill: Disable Device (+6)
    Skill: Search (+5)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)

Level 21 (Epic)
    Feat: (Selected) Epic: Overwhelming Critical
    Enhancement images below. Note I spent all 34 points in Ravager immediately at level 15 - this really helps with the survivability at lower levels with Blood Strength and Uncanny balance. Try and take the swashbuckling stuff ASAP as well.

I'm going to be doing a Shadar-Kai barb on my next life and this looked interesting. Any tips on updating it for 2020? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Garorg View Post
    I'm going to be doing a Shadar-Kai barb on my next life and this looked interesting. Any tips on updating it for 2020? Thanks!
    Whoa blast from the past.

Critical Rage used to be an untyped bonus to critical threat range which stacked with competence bonuses like Swashbuckling. That's no longer the case; it's now a competence bonus as well so it would only stack with Swashbuckling if you used rapiers or kukris. However, Focused Wrath (tier-5 Berserker) is now a competence bonus to critical multiplier, which will stack with the crit-range-only bonuses from Swashbuckling to handaxes or light picks. I.e., a bard 3 / barb 5 split can get 15-20/x5 critical threat range with handaxes. The remaining 12 levels can be whatever you want.

TBH it's a niche / flavor build option for someone who wants to run a Swashbuckler with better DPS than pure bard can achieve but doesn't just want a max-DPS toon like pure barb 20 or whatever. I suspect THF rog 2 / barb 18 is the more efficient / powerful option, particularly if you've already got any good 2H weapons like Sword of Shadow or Riftmaker.

Community Member

Default Thanks for the updated info

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Whoa blast from the past.

Critical Rage used to be an untyped bonus to critical threat range which stacked with competence bonuses like Swashbuckling. That's no longer the case; it's now a competence bonus as well so it would only stack with Swashbuckling if you used rapiers or kukris. However, Focused Wrath (tier-5 Berserker) is now a competence bonus to critical multiplier, which will stack with the crit-range-only bonuses from Swashbuckling to handaxes or light picks. I.e., a bard 3 / barb 5 split can get 15-20/x5 critical threat range with handaxes. The remaining 12 levels can be whatever you want.

TBH it's a niche / flavor build option for someone who wants to run a Swashbuckler with better DPS than pure bard can achieve but doesn't just want a max-DPS toon like pure barb 20 or whatever. I suspect THF rog 2 / barb 18 is the more efficient / powerful option, particularly if you've already got any good 2H weapons like Sword of Shadow or Riftmaker.
    Well I need the barb past life so I need enough levels in it. Also shooting to get Shadar-kai iconic at the same time so the rog 2 / barb 18 sounds like the best route to pursue. I'm just coming off a THF fighter that I made from your info on this thread https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Players-(U33), so I do have Riftmaker and Tail of the Scorpion as well, so I'd already have pretty much what I need equipment wise. I'll dig further into rog 2/ barb 18 and see about finding a build and going that route. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Garorg View Post
    I'll dig further into rog 2/ barb 18 and see about finding a build and going that route.
    This one's actually a pretty easy build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast