Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default More Layoffs at Turbine

That can't be good or can it?

Rumor is that Turbine is focusing more on mobile games. LOTRO 2 for the iphone?

How does this impact the future of DDO? Is the game unofficially in maintenance mode now?

This is a very common thing in the industry. Remember they just got Infinite Crisis up recently. Usually they will hire more for the start of a game and once it is stable lay off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Not to those numbers however.

They claim to be realigning their company to create and market mobile apps and games.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Not to those numbers however.

They claim to be realigning their company to create and market mobile apps and games.

Link for that please?
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Portals.

LOTRO 2 on the iPhone? no thnx. mobile games like Candy Crush are good time wasters when you are waiting to board your plane, get a haircut or praying to the commode gods but I would never play an actual game like DDO on my phone. I know theres a lot of money with mobile games but its not the same as playing on a computer. too much immersion lost.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    Link for that please?
    Not sure if this is the same as OP is looking at, but here's one:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/10...-more-layoffs/
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Community Member

Nothing about mobile whatsoever....and numbers for layoffs so far are simply rumors
    Portals.

Nothing about mobile whatsoever....
    Numbers are irrelevant, layoffs are not good for the people getting sacked just before the holidays (again).

As for Mobile or not... *shrug*. Whatever they mean by "growth areas" still cost people jobs.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Nothing about mobile whatsoever....and numbers for layoffs so far are simply rumors
    The comment about going mobile was from a person commenting about it who claims he was a ddo dev who supposedly created weapons/items here who got laid off. Guess he didn't care to let office secrets out since he has been gone for awhile now and established at another gaming company in cali.

Community Member

Can't link it because I don't know if links are allowed to the site, this is from a former developer that posts on that site from time to time.

"The layoffs were companywide, as they usually are. LotRO, DDO, and IC were all affected, as were QA and customer service.?*

Turbine's being realigned to be a mobile game studio. DDO and LotRO don't really need many people to maintain operations.

With luck, I'll be getting some of the friends who were laid off today out here with me in California. =)

-former DDO dev, left for greener pastures earlier this year."

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCaedus View Post
    Can't link it because I don't know if links are allowed to the site, this is from a former developer that posts on that site from time to time.

"The layoffs were companywide, as they usually are. LotRO, DDO, and IC were all affected, as were QA and customer service.?*

Turbine's being realigned to be a mobile game studio. DDO and LotRO don't really need many people to maintain operations.

With luck, I'll be getting some of the friends who were laid off today out here with me in California. =)

I know the person you speak of. Tell me how he would know what Turbine's plans are though...Since he was gone a while ago. I also know why he is no longer at Turbine. He isn't the most trustworthy of sources either.
    Portals.

Tell me how he would know what Turbine's plans are though...Since he was gone a while ago.
    Things are planned far in advance. This could be something that was planned near the beginning of the year when he was still here.
    Mobile does seem a good way to go, but not for someone already established as turbine.

Firing a bunch of people whenever a product is "done" is business as usual in a fairly scummy business. Some people, though, seem to be saying this is normal and nothing to worry about. If you think all is honky dory here in Turbineland you may in fact have your head up your backside--because you don't seem to be paying attention. For all I know DDO may limp along for another ten years but make no mistake that it's in the process of dying.

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    Firing a bunch of people whenever a product is "done" is business as usual in a fairly scummy business. Some people, though, seem to be saying this is normal and nothing to worry about. If you think all is honky dory here in Turbineland you may in fact have your head up your backside--because you don't seem to be paying attention. For all I know DDO may limp along for another ten years but make no mistake that it's in the process of dying.
    Lmao. This has been said for over 8 years now.
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCaedus View Post

This is what is interesting to me. So its like 10 peeps running DDO? No wonder they are slow as snails. Prolly a real PITA to be overworked and under paid (never seen a company overpay and lay off). Prolly doing them a favor by letting them go....

As far as the Mobile Industry goes, it's the future, like it or not. Instantaneous accessibility and data will be the steps forward in all electronic industries. The Millennial generation will be coming into their prime within the next 10 years and that is all they know and demand. My children will be raised on Google Glass and touchscreen everything with kinetic interfaces.
    Last edited by Thayion516; 10-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.

I'm not sure what you consider to be an "alive' game, but DDO hasn't released any new content in awhile (recycled old content isn't new), have servers that are ghost towns, and just reduced it's already lean staff.

For all practical purposes, DDO is in intensive care and only a completely oblivious person thinks all is well.

Must be miserable to be on a low population server for 8 years having folks tell you your problem doesn't exist. Ghallanda was supposed to be one of the higher pop servers but it's too dead for my taste now. I'd say doom but that would imply something ominous about the future when the problem is happening right now.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

I know the person you speak of. Tell me how he would know what Turbine's plans are though...Since he was gone a while ago. I also know why he is no longer at Turbine. He isn't the most trustworthy of sources either.
    The same way I know the inner workings of a company I used to work for - friends.

It's the best information I've heard to date and it actually makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast