Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member HatsuharuZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,379

    Default Does MRR reduce trap damage?

    I ask since I can't log in to test it myself. Essentially, if an armored character without evasion runs through a trap, does he/she take less damage from it due to MRR?

  2. #2
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I ask since I can't log in to test it myself. Essentially, if an armored character without evasion runs through a trap, does he/she take less damage from it due to MRR?
    I wouldn't think so but will try to test it.


    Beware the Sleepeater

  3. #3
    Hero
    Reaperbait
    LOOON375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Argo
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    I ask since I can't log in to test it myself. Essentially, if an armored character without evasion runs through a trap, does he/she take less damage from it due to MRR?
    I would assume that it depends on the trap.

    I don't think an acid trap in older content constitutes magic damage.

    But I would assume that it should work against spell wards in the newer content.
    The Fockers of Argo
    LOOON (Rogue); Reaperbait (Warlock); Eatuhdiq (Sorc); Fuglymofo (Barbarian)
    Buttscracher (Arty), Hobaggin (Druid)

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Yes, it should reduce the damage. Such as explosive fire trap damage, electrical trap damage. Just like how protection from elements mass (magical resistance) will reduce trap damage, Mrr should do the same. Mrr is the system that will go vs Evasion

    However, I need to test it. I'll post it here once I done so.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    I assumed so without verifying, but stepping into Swiped Signet, the numbers with MRR are significantly and consistently lower, and I'm satisfied it applies against traps:
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

  6. #6
    Developer Vargouille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Flying overhead
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    453

    Default

    MRR claims to reduce damage from a list of types, and as far as I know (not far at all) this is exactly what it does; It doesn't matter what the source of the damage is, only the type of the damage, in much the same way that PRR can reduce the damage from spells that deal piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning damage. If this holds true then MRR would help against many traps, but not against physical traps (PRR applies) or force traps (MRR doesn't cover the force type). It's really more of an Energy Resistance Rating, but I guess ERR would be a weird abbreviation.

  8. #8
    Community Member HatsuharuZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).
    That's good to know. Thanks for the reply!

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Magical Resistance Rating (MRR) should work vs. traps and most other damage sources (not just spells). If you are wielding a heavy or tower shield, your MRR values are considered doubled against damage that can be halved with a Reflex save (whether traps or spells).
    I thought so, thanks for the reply

  10. #10
    Community Member goodspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    I'm just outside that door to your left.
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Well ya it would against magic. But a pair of blades of any kind show up and the evasion less better be sporting a very great deal of PRR.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

  11. #11
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Well ya it would against magic. But a pair of blades of any kind show up and the evasion less better be sporting a very great deal of PRR.
    Ok what is a good deal of PRR? Over 200?


    Beware the Sleepeater

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Ok what is a good deal of PRR? Over 200?
    That is overkill for most characters, id say a non melee is still good at 80-100, melee with 120-150 is alright. Tanky types will want 200ish.

    Since my THF FVS17/FTR3 can reach 150 with some gear slots dedicated to it, no ED bonus either. Any heavy S&B character will have no issue aiming for that number without any specialized gear, maybe a guardians ring and thats it.

  13. #13
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Uska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Behind you with a claw hammer
    Posts
    25,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    That is overkill for most characters, id say a non melee is still good at 80-100, melee with 120-150 is alright. Tanky types will want 200ish.

    Since my THF FVS17/FTR3 can reach 150 with some gear slots dedicated to it, no ED bonus either. Any heavy S&B character will have no issue aiming for that number without any specialized gear, maybe a guardians ring and thats it.
    Right now I have 200 PRR and 100 MRR I need to try some EE's as I haven't been playing my paladin and see how it goes


    Beware the Sleepeater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload