Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

1st life dosen't take that long to run to 20, reset item idea sounds like the wrong direction;if you have such good tomes read allready then you're 1/2 way there,go to heroic tr ...farm devil asault 4 free tokens;items can be banked,its rare to have super inventory 1st life ,so you prob dont need to save much anyways.Bad builds dont suffer much till epic hard or tougher;and you dont need to run heroic elites to get to lvl 20 fast,1st life.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 80Ghallanda /51 Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    The mechanics of the game, the build options, and the loot that seems uber enough to build characters around change so frequently that I'm currently sitting on a virtual graveyard of broken builds. Most of my 14 character slots are taken up by characters that made it part way through heroic levels or are Iconics either in heroics or part way through epic levels that were then abandoned because:

1) What I was building around failed to be worth building around anymore and

2) It would take too much time to level the character to cap (20 or 28, depending on whether the character is Iconic or not), just to start from scratch again. I understand that some people have the time and energy to take characters up to 20 or 28 constantly, but I do not.
    If you don't have time to TR, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to juggle 14 characters. You really want to do a "character reset" on your "virtual graveyard of broken builds" when they don't get love anyway? Choose 3 or 4 and roll with them.
    Cannith: Ortarr (leader of Killer Dwarfs) - Purge Bravely - Drunkungfu Master - Ortarrdo Son of Ortarr - *others*

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    1st life dosen't take that long to run to 20, reset item idea sounds like the wrong direction;if you have such good tomes read allready then you're 1/2 way there,go to heroic tr ...farm devil asault 4 free tokens;items can be banked,its rare to have super inventory 1st life ,so you prob dont need to save much anyways.Bad builds dont suffer much till epic hard or tougher;and you dont need to run heroic elites to get to lvl 20 fast,1st life.
    I don't have bad builds. I have some outdated builds that aren't particularly desirable for me to play anymore. Most of my characters are on their 3rd+ life. One non-bank character is a first life. That one I am not concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurge View Post
    If you don't have time to TR, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to juggle 14 characters. You really want to do a "character reset" on your "virtual graveyard of broken builds" when they don't get love anyway? Choose 3 or 4 and roll with them.
    I have no desire to use all 14 characters simultaneously, but I do have a desire to not permanently retire characters because I cannot (or will not) invest the time or money to get them up to either 20 or 28 (if an Iconic). It pains me to see characters with tomes, past lives, or items that I value in the junkyard.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 08-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    You see, when I was posting that they now have an incentive to mess with systems more than content, as people will need to LR more often, it was summarily dismissed as conspiracy theory
    Dude you are now posting this same persecution complex schtick like every other post... I just called you out on it last week...

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Yep I did, the part about "tearing up the character sheet" doesn't equal keeping gear and past life power. Since that contradicts what the OP said near the end of their post about keeping that stuff, Im basically asking which it is.
    The OP was clear to me without having to ask... I can't imagine how anyone who actually read it would assume the OP was asking to get free past lives by "tearing up his character" before eligable to use a heart of wood... The only way I can imagine you infering that is by not actually reading... or perhaps reading only what you want to see... which is I admit even more likely given that such a thing is typical of cognitive dissonance.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I have sorc stuck at lvl10 that's too easy to play and so boring, I'd gladly pay to get it back to lvl1 with a class/race selection again without grinding XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    1st life dosen't take that long to run to 20, reset item idea sounds like the wrong direction;if you have such good tomes read allready then you're 1/2 way there
    It might not just be tomes. I can easily envision a new player rolling up his first character using one of the default paths, and early on spending TP on extra bank space, extra inventory slots, etc... Then around level 6 the character starts feeling unplayably bad, and after a bit of research they find a better build they'd rather play.

That new player with the bad build is caught between a rock and a hard place. Rerolling loses the store purchases they've committed to the character. But getting all the way from 6 to 20 on a gimp build when they've never seen any content before will likely seem insurmountable.

A character reset would be a nice compromise for them.

Community Member

Keeping up with 15 characters is just unrealistic with the current TR/Epic TR system, especially when not using store items like 50% xp pots and boxes. Im down to one character now, keeping some stuff and stacking up past lives. When there is something new I want to try, I just TR into that build. Im premium and I really dont want to play a char who cant open elites anymore. That way also never have to be concerned about having btc stuff on the wrong char or having to buy xp tomes for many chars. I just hope I get to completionist before the game shuts down, but atm Im going for epic completionist first (the low-hanging fruit, 4 EPLs to go)
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Makkuroi View Post
    Keeping up with 15 characters is just unrealistic with the current TR/Epic TR system, especially when not using store items like 50% xp pots and boxes. Im down to one character now, keeping some stuff and stacking up past lives. When there is something new I want to try, I just TR into that build. Im premium and I really dont want to play a char who cant open elites anymore. That way also never have to be concerned about having btc stuff on the wrong char or having to buy xp tomes for many chars. I just hope I get to completionist before the game shuts down, but atm Im going for epic completionist first (the low-hanging fruit, 4 EPLs to go)
    It may be unrealistic to you, but that does not make it unrealistic for others.

For example, most of your reasons do not apply to me at all. I can make a new character, or TR one I don't particularly like or have much interest in playing any more to try a new build. I have never been interested in the whole completionist thing as that involves playing classes I don't have an interest in playing. I don't have to buy xp tomes at all as that has no effect on how the game plays (just how much). I also would rather have a broad choice of potential characters to play every time I play until the game shuts down to being at any particular spot with any of them, as at that point what we did while playing is moot anyway.

As for the OPs request. I, personally don't see what the problem would be with it. Though I expect something like this would be monetized fairly heavily (to the point I would just run up to 20 and TR rather than buying one anyway) as that is how Turbine seems to roll.
    Last edited by Gremmlynn; 08-31-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    I tend to skim posts and then give knee-jerk reactions.
    That's OK. It's pretty common in these forums.

I would like to get some of the perks from a TR - the reset part - without the major perks - the past life and extra build points. For that I think a reasonable price would be fair since it's one step forward, two steps back. And it's OK to disagree that such a "gamebreaking" item should exist. I have only really taken issue with having LR's, TR's, and deleting and creating characters being explained to me because I felt my first post in this thread should have been sufficient to "turn hints off".

It's a type of item that, judging by the responses in this thread, will come in handy for some people and not come in handy for others. So unless we subscribe to a point of view where the world only consists of clones of ourselves, it would be disingenuous to state that everyone could use this item or nobody will find a use for this item. I'm of the opinion that something like this would be fairly popular, but only if the cost of the reset is reasonable enough to outweigh the cost of leveling to 20 or 28 and then using a heart of wood.

I'm open to ideas about pricing.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 08-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    I'm open to debates about pricing.
    Free would be my choice, but I'm sure Turbine will put it as high as they think most people would be tolerably uncomfortable with paying for it.

So, basically, you want a cheap lr with extras.....

Good luck with that.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Quote Originally Posted by relenttless View Post
    So, basically, you want a cheap lr with extras.....

Good luck with that.
    it amazes me how people just fail to read over and over again.

he wants a reset to lvl 1 with no benefit on stats and should be no benefit from resetting favor as that would make it too easy to exploit.

Personally i would love this i have toons at 15-16 that were broken by changing game mechanics and i don't want to spend the couple few days to get them to cap because it's a waste of my time to get to 20 just to be able to start over at lvl 1 with more xp needed.

200 points to save me 2-3 days of wasted grinding and i get to make a new char while keeping the gear i worked for before the game made the character undesireable yes please 400 points no thanks i will just let the toon rot and be bitter about game mechanics invalidating the work i put in
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.

Community Member

Yeah, I've made this suggestion before too, so naturally agree. Maybe my build idea didn't work out, maybe an update changed my plans, or maybe I just got bored. Either way, just let me reset this life and start it over. A small TP cost to offset the potential for TP favor grinding would probably be appropriate.

OP, I completely agree.

I don't know why you are taking so much flak... but it's something I've come to expect here. People shoot off a reply based on a knee jerk reaction and then, no matter what, they feel compelled to argue that position to death in an attempt to save face.

Many times I've wished that I could just reset my character. It makes total sense, as the character would not be any more powerful than it was when it started that life. If anything, it negatively impacts the player. All the XP the player earned for that life would go up in smoke, the player gained nothing but lost all time they had invested.

People are all like, "But just muddle through..."

I say, "Half a dozen of one, six of another."

If I come up with some crazy idea that I get to level 12 and realize it's so gimped that I hate it, I'm going to be wasting my time one way or another. Forcing yourself to cap a build you simply despise just so that you can TR at 20 and gain a past life is more of a waste to me than it would be to simply cut bait and reroll, were than an option.

The deal with this thread I think is that so many people are cookie cutter people who only roll tried and true builds that other people have come up with. hey, if that's your thang, good for you, but that's certainly not for me. Occasionally I've perused the build forum to get ideas for classes I didn't have much experience with, but even then I'd merely borrow the core concept as a foundation for my own personal build. When you play like this, in a game like this, it's very easy to make mistakes... horrible, awful, ungodly, irrevocable mistakes.

At least now, with iconics, you can try most builds out before you roll an actual character. You start at 15, and a couple hours later, after one trip through GH you'll be 16. You should know by then whether or not the build is viable. It sucks to waste those couple hours, but, meh, there's so much that sucks about DDO this is far from the worst.

In the end, I completely agree, it'd be nice to have a character reset, but alas I don't ever see it happening. Like so many other things, you'll have to make do with work arounds, like pre-rolling iconic characters to test builds.

Community Member

/signed

Good idea OP
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Default /signed

/signed

Also, now that the focus is on end-game and eTRing, I would like if they reduced the XP required for levels 1 - 20 to about 1.5 million irrespective of your toon's # of lives. This would promote people to roll up new characters, go for heroic completion on multiple toons and make the heroic scene more vibrant.

Thoughts on this?

Community Member

So, basically you want to be able to take a character that is no longer fun to play and reset it so it might be fun to play? And doing this wouldn't result in giving you any additional power that you hadn't already "earned" through previous play?

Good gosh, why would Turbine want to allow that?
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

I think there is profit to me made on any venture and this seems easy enough to code, tack price tag of around 1495TP (Same cost of a True Heart), and call it done.

Personally, I don't see the appeal to this idea, but, hey, just because I don't think highly of it, does not mean it can't be put in and sold.

This is an interesting idea and option, I'm just not sure that the pricing you are expecting is right. It should not be more expensive then an LR, but I don't think it should be to much cheaper.

Now currently there are the LR+1/+2/+5 available for switching out classes, but this does not work well if switching out Alignment restricted classes, usually requiring two LR's to make the adjustment.

At one point we did have the Lesser, Greater and True Reincarnation options. The Greater allowing you to redo all levels.

But I know that I would be interested if they put an LR+20 back in the store

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indianwiz View Post
    /signed

Also, now that the focus is on end-game and eTRing, I would like if they reduced the XP required for levels 1 - 20 to about 1.5 million irrespective of your toon's # of lives. This would promote people to roll up new characters, go for heroic completion on multiple toons and make the heroic scene more vibrant.

Thoughts on this?
    They reduced it to 400k xp if you spend 4995 tp for a box.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast