Default No-Shrine XP Bonus

Kinda like the other bonuses, this would apply for unused shrines in an adventure.

Spendthrift: 7% XP Bonus
    Resourceful: 15% XP Bonus
    Crafty: 25% XP Bonus

Naturally, some quests wouldn't have this bonus, while others (Like Coalescence Chamber) that only has one Shrine for a very long quest, might give the Crafty Bonus outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Certon View Post
    Kinda like the other bonuses, this would apply for unused shrines in an adventure.

Naturally, some quests wouldn't have this bonus, while others (Like Coalescence Chamber) that only has one Shrine for a very long quest, might give the Crafty Bonus outright.
    I like this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

The problem with this type of bonus is that it can be unfair to builds that do depend on renewing the type of resources Shrining recovers while promoting utilizing resources like the DDO store to recover these resources. Also the XP is higher then the loss of XP for reentry - Quests like Coal have a shrine right outside.

For this reason I'm against any bonus that deals with party resource usage that could alienate a party member.

And I'm not just doing this for the Spell Point users, but the action boost users and barbarian rage users. This could cause friction in the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    The problem with this type of bonus is that it can be unfair to builds that do depend on renewing the type of resources Shrining recovers while promoting utilizing resources like the DDO store to recover these resources. Also the XP is higher then the loss of XP for reentry - Quests like Coal have a shrine right outside.

For this reason I'm against any bonus that deals with party resource usage that could alienate a party member.

And I'm not just doing this for the Spell Point users, but the action boost users and barbarian rage users. This could cause friction in the party.
    You have a good point about re-entry. Maybe this is reduced to 0 for re-entry as well. As far as the secondary problem, that happens with survival bonuses already, doesn't it?

Community Member

You have a good point about re-entry. Maybe this is reduced to 0 for re-entry as well. As far as the secondary problem, that happens with survival bonuses already, doesn't it?
    Which is one reason not to aggravate it.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

I like the general idea here, but it'd be bad to implement without some changes to the XP bonus in general.

If this XP bonus was per-character and not per party, it would be better, but also much more work to code. IE: You rest 8 times in Misery's Peak because you have maximize and empower and can't help but throw max-empowered burning hands at every monster you see. Your fighter buddy rests 0 times, because he hasn't needed to heal and doesn't have boosts yet. If the fighter got bonus XP, and you didn't, that'd be fine.

But the XP is too high for even that. A more reasonable bonus would be:

Spendthrift: 5% XP Bonus
    Resourceful: 7% XP Bonus
    Crafty: 10% XP bonus.
    - Deleras has gotten much shorter than I remember.

The difference is that with survival bonus the loss is caused through being new, a mistake or plain bad luck. This bonus would be lost by a conscious effort of using a shrine which may or may not be needed but certain groups will see as a loss to their XP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of XP bonuses, just not ones that alienate players by forcing them into a particular playstyle

Community Member

The issue I have with this is it really rewards lower difficulties. In EE you might need to shrine twice where you can zerg through without shrining at all in EH. So EH would yield more xp which I find wrong.

There could also be pressure for people not to shrine which I dislike. I already see people ringing the bell in breaking the ranks instead of letting people shrine so they can get the extra chest.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    LE Capable Int Assassin - U29: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Assassin-Build
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (20 Warlock EA DPS Build), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

An intriguing idea - but I don't see it being added to the game for a few reasons.
    Not the least of which is the Flawless Victory problem. With Flawless, too people already forget that it's a bonus to XP for achieving it - not a penalty to XP when a death happens. If this were to be implemented, I can just visualize all the complaints about noobs who are screwing up XP by using a shrine when they were told not to.

It would get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    An intriguing idea - but I don't see it being added to the game for a few reasons.
    Not the least of which is the Flawless Victory problem. With Flawless, too people already forget that it's a bonus to XP for achieving it - not a penalty to XP when a death happens. If this were to be implemented, I can just visualize all the complaints about noobs who are screwing up XP by using a shrine when they were told not to.

It would get ugly.
    I'm going to agree with Memnir here.

There is one quest in the game already that uses the no shrine concept. Sadly its in a explore area that can have endless spawns, leaving the toon possibly at half sp when they step into the door. Since it is only one quest that way, I am ok with it.

Prefer not to apply to every quest in the game. Some build depend upon shrines (even fighters with action points), and some builds (glances as monks) don't bother with shrines at all.

Community Member

Yeah I also think this would unfairly reward more self-sufficient classes. And I play two of them as my main characters - Arti and Swash. I almost never shrine as it is, so this would just be free XP for me, but I don't think its fair to reward me over someone who plays, eg, a more group-oriented build and has to use more resources when they solo.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Only if no pots or reentry was used as well

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE