Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Most overrated feats

What in your opinion are the most overrated feats?

I see a lot of builds with feats that I would never take, but I don't know how many people share my opinion.

Community Member

Toughness.

IMO most other feats are an easy distinction between useful and garbage. I don't personally see the use of toughness unless taking epic toughness. And even then IMO there are better feats to take.

Even though the enhancement trees were successful at giving players many options for beefing up hit points and thus making toughness no longer obligatory, I wonder how many players still choose toughness anyway? I still make use of the feat and I do tend to choose epic toughness as well. It does seem that certain build options become almost universally accepted as necessary and periodically the devs feel obliged to pretty radically change things so people will abandon those feats like maybe they're now doing with evasion. It's a little sad that certain builds always tend to become the new orthodoxy thus necessitating an unnecessary re-vamp of the old system(s).

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    Toughness.

IMO most other feats are an easy distinction between useful and garbage. I don't personally see the use of toughness unless taking epic toughness. And even then IMO there are better feats to take.
    But... But... What am I to do with these useless monk class feats?!
    It's always nice looking at Monk bonus feats and realizing you don't qualify for the useful ones, and can't use the useless ones.
    Hurrah for toughness.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Any feat with the phrase "Spell Penetration" in it.

You can count the number of quests that a well-built DC caster will run into spell pen issues on maybe two hands, and taking ruin, twisting energy burst, and/or running in DI for dragon breath will dispatch drow well enough.
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    Portalcat (Completionist, Epic Completionist), Catwithnuke, Catwithaxe

IMO any feat that boosts one of the resistaces fort, reflex and will. their is resistant gear that will boost all of them at once. if you minimized your wisdom, no matter how much will resistance you take your going to be dancing.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    What in your opinion are the most overrated feats?
    A backflip on a snowmobile. Such a who-cares.

Completionist Feat,

Unless you play 1 character that will eventually be a Monk or very stat starved build. Otherwise the work/investment to get this is pretty much overrated. You arent "that" much better.

Toughness is also overrated, i could easily drop it on most characters and still do just fine.

Now if we could talk about useful vs useless feats, and rate them on a 1-20 scale, that would be insightful. Especially the heavy prewuisite one that give you utterly useless bonuses.

Feats should be exciting to take on any character, not "meh whatever".

Community Member

I was waiting for someone to mention these so I guess it is not a popular opinion! Here are mine...

Deflect Arrow (1 hour in every 6 seconds only)
    Dodge (+3 dodge isnt much and it adds to something easy to get up and with a cap)
    Precision (Except for the new Swashbuckler) - Is a 1/4 of your normal Crit chance really worth it over +4 damage? And if it is better, is it worth a feat for Crit resistant mobs? I think this may be the most controversial. Alot of people swear by it)

- I understand these are mostly Monk feats but Dodge and Precision are also taken by non-monks. On a Monk I would rather take: Improved Sunder, Shuriken Expertise, Ten Thousand Stars, or even Lightning Reflexes. I feel they do more.

Weapon finesse (Is it really worth maxing dex and dumping Str enough that even Accuracy items wouldn't make your To-Hit high enough? Str is also the most easily buffed stat)

Weapon finesse (Is it really worth maxing dex and dumping Str enough that even Accuracy items wouldn't make your To-Hit high enough? Str is also the most easily buffed stat)
    Weapon finesse is not overrated. With the enhancements that give you the damage from dex becomes a must for many builds, mainly dual wielders and evaders.

Dodge (+3 dodge isnt much and it adds to something easy to get up and with a cap)
    Precision (Except for the new Swashbuckler) - Is a 1/4 of your normal Crit chance really worth it over +4 damage? And if it is better, is it worth a feat for Crit resistant mobs? I think this may be the most controversial. Alot of people swear by it)

The first two have uses. Is 25% crit chance against high fort mobs worth it? Maybe. Is it worth it with sneak attack? Definitely. Don't forget the to-hit penalty. To-hit isn't what it used to be, but it's still useful.
    And Dodge, well.. better than other feats. 3% dodge on a sorc or something.. meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBlue View Post
    Weapon finesse is not overrated. With the enhancements that give you the damage from dex becomes a must for many builds, mainly dual wielders and evaders.
    "evaders"? Everyone can get high reflex for evasion, even as str builds.
    Dual wielders? Hah, str is still better. Sure, you have to start with 13/14 dex, but that's not an issue. Str is still better because of the potential bonuses.

Maybe a flavour build.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Completionist Feat
    Before I was a Completionist my build used to incorporate the +3 UMD Feat. I replaced this with Completionist because +2 to all skills and stats = (+2 UMD) + (+2 CHA) + (everything else it gives you) = +3 UMD plus lots of other gains. Completionist is therefore > +3 UMD and the Completionist Feat is therefore not an overrated feat.

I was waiting for someone to mention these so I guess it is not a popular opinion! Here are mine...

Deflect Arrow (1 hour in every 6 seconds only)

- I understand these are mostly Monk feats but Dodge and Precision are also taken by non-monks. On a Monk I would rather take: Improved Sunder, Shuriken Expertise, Ten Thousand Stars, or even Lightning Reflexes. I feel they do more.

Deflect arrow i agree, though i guess it gets some use for tempest rangers as they get it for free & can increase how often it works... still as a selectable one, meh

Dodge i disagree - it's handy for many & is required to get the improved dodge enhancement for some classes .. also gives access to mobility allowing medium/heavy armour users to fit more dodge in to increase the effectiveness of that particular defensive layer.

Precision - awesome for swashbucklers especially, and if you're doing sneak attack damage it lets that have a chance to pierce fortification in addition to allowing crits, making it great for rogues, ninjas & rangers who invest in DWS line - combine with the right thunderforged effect or black dragon armour & you'll be doing a lot of extra damage vs. undead, constructs & elementals plus some bosses.

Weapon finesse - ok, it's easier to buff STR overall, but many evasive types can also have dex for damage eg. swashbucklers, ninjas, rangers, rogues (change to overwhelming criticals will be great)... might not be quite as optimal but still very viable & means there's essentially 1 less stat to worry about to allow you have a bit better defenses & to maximise your abilities elsewhere.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 08-28-2014 at 05:00 AM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Completionist Feat,

Unless you play 1 character that will eventually be a Monk or very stat starved build. Otherwise the work/investment to get this is pretty much overrated. You arent "that" much better.

Toughness is also overrated, i could easily drop it on most characters and still do just fine.

Now if we could talk about useful vs useless feats, and rate them on a 1-20 scale, that would be insightful. Especially the heavy prewuisite one that give you utterly useless bonuses.

Feats should be exciting to take on any character, not "meh whatever".
    i dont know how a feat that gives 1 dca hp 3 to all skills can be considerd useless, its one of the most powerful feats for most builds and it is worth the effort to get it. Since i got it first time 3 or 4 years ago, there wasnt 1 tr i did or etr where i didnt take that feat. And my main has over 50 heroic lifes by now, also i plan to get it on both of my alts and some bot accounts when i get more time to play.
    Underrated? yes
    Overrated? no

Power attack.

I only have it because it's a prereq for everything - Cleave, Overwhelming Crit., Momentum Swing, Lay Waste (which are necessary to charge blitz in a reasonable amount of time).
    With U23 I can finally drop all that nonsense and take Precision.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Overwhelming Crit. Not that it's bad, but I've heard so many people call it a 10% increase to DPS. No it isn't. Not unless you only crit on a 20 and only did double damage. For any build with a faily standard crit profile (13-20 *3 or better) it's more like +5%. Less if we consider fort.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Power Attack: on a Rogue.

Edit: Using it anyway.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 08-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    Power attack.

I only have it because it's a prereq for everything - Cleave, Overwhelming Crit., Momentum Swing, Lay Waste (which are necessary to charge blitz in a reasonable amount of time).
    With U23 I can finally drop all that nonsense and take Precision.
    u still need cleave right?
    main toons: Cerrsi(silly caster/xbow) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly melee)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Bounty Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Loholt-UK View Post
    Before I was a Completionist my build used to incorporate the +3 UMD Feat. I replaced this with Completionist because +2 to all skills and stats = (+2 UMD) + (+2 CHA) + (everything else it gives you) = +3 UMD plus lots of other gains. Completionist is therefore > +3 UMD and the Completionist Feat is therefore not an overrated feat.
    Yeah completionist is awesome.

People take Great Intelligence, Epic Spell Focus Necromancy, toughness, etc. and you can choose alot of feats that would still not give you the equivalent of completionist. It's not needed on builds like Shiradi caster, but not much is. I am sure Turbine's data would show almost everyone that can take completionist does take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    u still need cleave right?
    For Momentum Swind and Lay waste - yes.
    For overwhelming crit. - no, just needs improved critical as a prereq.

I play a TWF so I don't need Momentum swing or Lay waste.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast