Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 270

Thread: Fixing Streak.

  1. #1
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default Fixing Streak.

    It seems that "Streak" tends to get brought up a lot, normally blamed for everything from the lack of Pugs to Why everyone has everyone else black listed, and there have been numerous posts on how to fix the "streak problem".

    Most of us also know why streak was put in, and that was to minimize grinding and reward players for doing a larger number of quests throughout the game as opposed to farming the same dozen or so quests from start to cap. Which is a great idea really, it gets those less run quests run more often.

    Unfortunately this has built up the demand that players run elite and nothing else, ever, under any circumstance, which I do not think was Turbines Plan, and why they put the streak cap at 5, so that if it gets broken it is pretty easy to replace.

    But, why?

    Work with me for a moment, While I agree that people getting wrapped up in streak is not really that great an idea, but, truth be told, I really don't think that streak is the problem. The problem that I see, is new players or more aptly first life that have no place worrying about it, getting all worked up over it and trying to build it up that is the problem. I mean really, wound't it be great if that was one of those things that players can worry about "next life" if they get there, as opposed to adding in even more things they need to think about this life?

    So I propose that Turbine change the streak mechanic to cater to the people that would use it best, which would be the people that need the most exp to level.

    Thus, my suggestion is that they change the streak mechanic to work like this.
    Elite Streak:

    • +1% Exp Per Streak Bonus Up to 100 (Up to a 100% Bonus)
    • +0.50% Exp Per Streak From 100 to 300 (Up to a +200% Bonus)
    • +0.25% Exp Per streak from 300 to 500
    • +0.10% Exp per Streak from 500 - 1000
    • +0.05% Exp per Streak from 1000 - 2000
    • +0.01% Exp Per Streak from 2000+

    Hard Streak:

    • +1% Per Streak up to 50
    • +0.50% Per Streak up to 50 to 200
    • +0.25% Per Streak from 201 to 500
    • +.10% Per Streak past 500 to 1500.
    • +0.05% Per Streak from 1500 to 2500
    • +0.01% Per Streak from 2500+

    Normal Streak:

    • +0.50% Per Streak Up to 50
    • +0.25% Per Streak up to 50 to 300
    • +0.10% Per Streak from 300 to 1000
    • +0.05% Per Streak from 1000 to 3000
    • +0.01% Per Streak from 3000+



    Now to answer a few questions:

    "What if some Power Player builds up a 1000+ streak and gets a 375% Exp per quest from it! Would that be fair!"

    Ok first off, if someone builds a 1000+ streak to get a 375%+ Exp bonus, them getting it is VERY fair, make no mistake they worked hard to get that streak, and they earned it. Thus they should have it!

    Wouldn't this cause even less people to Pug?

    No, the people obsessing about having a 100+ streak now, would be the same people worrying about streak after this change, not a single thing would change about their play style, the people that did not worry about streak before would be even less inclined to worry about it after this change, and the people that were trying to build it up, but really had not place doing so, would realize that it was a futile endeavor and not worry about, which might improve pugging again among the more casual players, as well as power players being motivated to team up to get those pesky difficult dungeons done to get that +1 streak.

    In the end, it would give new and casual players one less thing worry about, and provide power players a solid reward for their efforts. Which everyone wins.

    Personally, I think the power gamers would positively LOVE this change as it would reward their efforts to keep a high streak, and it would take a good deal of stress off the casual/new players as well.

    Amendment 1: "Breaking Streak"

    "Breaking Streak" would be removed, in it's place would a "Points off" function. Since Streak could now grow to any point, as opposed to having players protect their streaks or worry about breaking it, a new system would be put in where if they did a quest on a lower difficulty it would not be an all or nothing, they would just get some points off their streak for doing the game equal of "wimping out".

    It would work like this:
    For Elite:

    • -4 Off An Elite Streak for Doing Hard
    • -8 Off an Elite Streak for Doing Normal
    • -16 Off an Elite Streak for Doing Casual (Because really? Casual?)

    For Hard:

    • -4 Off Hard Streak for Doing Normal
    • -16 Off a hard Streak for Doing Casual (Really? Casual?)

    For Normal:

    • -8 Off for Doing Casual (Because, casual? Really?)


    Sure there is a loss, but if someone has a 300+ streak, losing 4 off their number amounts to 1% which is not much of a loss at all when you are walking to the quest at +200%, and since bonus have no cap now, 1% becomes meaningless in the greater scheme of the game.

    Thus, If they opt to do a "Normal" quest, it's still not the end of the world for them like it used to be.

    The reason for this also is to have it so that players are still inspired to keep pushing Elite, where if the streak was totally unbreakable, players would just do elite till "streak cap" and then do hard for easier competition with a maxed streak to back them up and then complain that elite was not worth the effort because they could just max streak and then farm hard.

    There needs to be that carrot and that stick to keep them doing elite, and this idea I think gives it both, with reasonable amounts of each.

    Amendment 2: - Bravery, First Tome Bonus, and Exp Overall.

    This idea would need to coupled with a few other changes.
    First Time Bonus and Bravery would get Reduced, In fact, they would just Go away.

    Lets be real here, a serious player could very easy build a streak of around 300 in a single life, this giving 150% Streak Bonus in one life, which is exactly what Full Streak+Bravery+First Time is, As such, they would no longer be needed in this new system and could be removed in their entirety with the streak carrying all the EXP benefits for players who can do hard/elite on a regular basis.

    Equally so, players who by some reason or another get carried by others, when they have to drop down to lower difficulties, they do not lose as much Exp. In fact, they don't even have to think about the "First time" and "Bravery" bonus, as they would no longer exist.*Point of this idea is to give players that can't handle harder difficulty less incentive to run them, while trying to give players that can run them, rewards befitting their efforts.*

    Notes:


    This idea is not designed to try and get vets and new players together, it is not designed to get everyone to hold hands and Sing "We are the World"

    The last thing any idea should do is try to force people to play with people that do not want to play with. A game should be fun, designed to be engaging and enjoyable for as many people as possible, and this idea addresses that.

    What it is designed to do, it make the game more fun for everyone, regardless of how they play, It is designed to allow players more freedom to do what they want with the game, to make choices and be in control of their progress.

    It is also designed to address an ongoing concern for the lack of content, to reduce the grind for TRing, to prevent burn out of players and inspire new players to make the plunge to TR with their own ability to build streaks no matter how they play.

    Amendment 3: Raids.

    Which really should have been 1, but, meh, what can you do.

    Anyway, under this system, Raids do not count to towards streak, they do not add to it ot break it, but you get the reward for the highest streak you have for the raid on the first time you do it.

    Mechanical Note:

    It seems that some people do not understand how the Streak Mechanic Works. So I figured I would put this here so that people could use this as a Refrence:

    Streak Only Applies the First time you do a Quest, both in bonus and being affected by the quest.

    Streak is only Affected if you are at max 2 Levels over the Level of the Quest on as stated on the Normal difficulty.

    This would not change, and in fact this is how it would work.

    Amendment 4: Grouping:

    The Flawless Bonus would only be applied if more then one person entered the Quest. It would also be raised to +20%. Hirelings would not count to this end, having a hire in the group would not grant the flawless bonus.

    If someone died, but was raised, the group would still get a "Team Work" Bonus of +10%

    This even if someone died, as long as you could get them back to life you would still get +10% more exp from grouping then you would get from soloing.
    Last edited by Ungood; 09-03-2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added As Noted.

  2. #2

    Default

    This is definitely an interesting concept but I'm not sure it will help improve or promote the pugging scene. I still think what will help there will be an experience bonus or incentive to pug in the first place as opposed to just solo'ing or using simply hires. And this comes from somebody who tends to run quests a lot with hires. But I like the forward thinking and I can definitely see how the power players would like this idea.

  3. #3
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erdrique View Post
    This is definitely an interesting concept but I'm not sure it will help improve or promote the pugging scene. I still think what will help there will be an experience bonus or incentive to pug in the first place as opposed to just solo'ing or using simply hires. And this comes from somebody who tends to run quests a lot with hires. But I like the forward thinking and I can definitely see how the power players would like this idea.
    I had thought of a "Group" bonus idea, where "+10 flawless" would only be applied if there was a more then 1 real player in the quest, and if someone died, while you would lose the +10%, but if you raised them you would still get a +5% Team Work Bonus.

    Thus, if you all live, you get 10% more then if you soloed, and even if someone is a death magnet, you will still get +5% more then soloing.
    Last edited by Ungood; 08-25-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added a little more info.

  4. #4
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,820

    Default You can't be serious...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Personally, I think the power gamers would positively LOVE this change as it would reward their efforts to keep a high streak, and it would take a good deal of stress off the casual/new players as well.
    Um... No.

    The only things I can agree with are that the "power players" would love to see an unlimited benefit from Streaking, and that the players who worry about their Streak number beyond 5 now would continue to (actually, more so) worry about it then.

    New/1st life players would still wan their Steak benefits just like they do now - perhaps even more so. Nothing would change with pugging, everything would still be for Elite, and those who do will/those who don't won't. "Power players" that already gobble content until they're characters are uber TRs and have nothing left to do would find themselves with nothing left to do even sooner.

    Edit: And players like me who occasionally break Steak to help a buddy out would become much more hesitant to do so - I know I would.

    I see zero benefits to the game from this proposal, unless it's a troll and I fell for it - in which case well done!
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 08-25-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

  5. #5
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Um... No.

    The only things I can agree with are that the "power players" would love to see an unlimited benefit from Streaking, and that the players who worry about their Streak number beyond 5 now would continue to (actually, more so) worry about it then.
    We will disagree on this, I mean really, you're going to get worked up over 5% exp if it goes away?

    New/1st life players would still wan their Steak benefits just like they do now - perhaps even more so.
    First Life Toons would never be able to build it to reasonable levels, I mean lets be real here, a first life toon could hit 20th before they made a 50 streak, so no, really, I don't see them getting worked up over a streak, in fact I see them not worrying about it at all till their second life, where they can in fact run more content to level, and even open hard if they are not ViP.

    Nothing would change with pugging, everything would still be for Elite, and those who do will/those who don't won't. "Power players" that already gobble content until they're characters are uber TRs and have nothing left to do would find themselves with nothing left to do even sooner.

    I see zero benefits to the game from this proposal, unless it's a troll and I fell for it - in which case well done!
    No troll, I just think you're wrong with this, and firmly believe that this would be a great change for the game and the issues with streak overall.

  6. #6
    Community Member Tscheuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,981

    Default Quickest fix for Streak

    if(streak > 5, 5, streak)
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,032

    Default

    This is entirely the wrong direction. The problem isn't that BB streaks don't build up high enough, its that there's too much disincentive for breaking streaks, and so players treat streaks with way more reverence than they should. The game shouldn't discourage you from breaking streak so you could group with some buddies or something. This change would only make super-high streaks even more of a focus for powergamers.

    What needs to change is the way streaks *decrement*, not increment. Breaking streak shouldn't set you all the way back to zero. It should incur a -5 streak penalty for breaking Elite streak and a -5 penalty for breaking Hard streak. That way, your first 5 builds up your streak. After that, each additional 5 offers you one "mulligan" you can use to run on Hard instead, to let you group with friends or skip a particularly nasty Elite quest (e.g., GoP or EtK).

    That gives value to building up your streak past 5, but also lets you not be completely enslaved by it.

  8. #8
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    We will disagree on this, I mean really, you're going to get worked up over 5% exp if it goes away?
    You're either taking it too literal, or being intentionally obtuse - I'm not sure which. I cited "people who worry about breaking a Streak over 5" because 5 is currently the max benefit. Here, I'll reword it:

    People who worry about loosing a 50% Streak bonus now, would continue to worry about it (if not more so) when their Streak meets or exceeds 50%.

    People who eventually want a 50% or bigger Streak bonus would be more hesitant about breaking even smaller Streaks, because it means running a whole lot more than just 5 quests to get back to where they were, plus now they've lost out some maximum benefit they can never, ever get back because Steaks have no limit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    First Life Toons would never be able to build it to reasonable levels, I mean lets be real here, a first life toon could hit 20th before they made a 50 streak, so no, really, I don't see them getting worked up over a streak, in fact I see them not worrying about it at all till their second life, where they can in fact run more content to level, and even open hard if they are not ViP.
    What makes you think they would prefer to wait until their 2nd life to start building a Steak, instead of starting their 2nd life with a Streak in progress? Hmm... What sounds more appealing: start 2nd life with an XP bonus, or start 2nd life with no XP bonus?
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 08-25-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath
    Posts
    560

    Default

    OP, I have to give you thumbs up for coming up with ideas.

    I honestly can't say I agree with them, because I don't believe the problem exists, or at least, to the extent most believe.

    I started playing this game about 4 1/2 years ago, which was long before the elite streak system was put into place. Now I can only speak from my experience playing on thelanis and sarlona, but I can tell you that even back then, there was only one difficulty to play (culturally) and that was Elite. For myself and other newbs at the time, there were many of us that had started playing, as this era was shortly after the introduction of the free to play model. And so, there was a great incentive for us to run on elite if possible (if we could find a group with some nice vets that could open elite) to gain the additional favor for TPs, but more importantly for us newbs, the favor rewards, which at the time seemed pretty "big time" for us

    Furthermore, I have to say that back then the culture seemed to consist of what I would term mature, and helpful vets. I personally found the community at the time just awesome, as many vets would take extra time to help us newbs out, and teach us the ropes with regards to questing, build advice and stats, and gear. It was really something to see a vet or 3 in the party tromp around with those big ace Lit2 greensteel greatswords, and these players gave us newbs something to shoot for. I even had rolled a dex based rogue (which was still great back then) and at level 10, a kind vet passed along a paralyzing dagger for my off hand, and this taught me that "paying it forward" was really great for the game.

    It is unfortunate that it seems now that these kind vet players are not as numerous as they once were, and that the culture (in the worlds that I play) has shifted to more like everybody is out for themselves. I'm not trying to say that the culture is a cesspool now, as there are still some helpful vets out there. But it's not near the same as it was 4 1/2 years ago.

    My point being that I believe that most vets now (and I include myself) tend to play solo now, or in static or channel or guild groups. I do still pug myself, but not as much as I used to. This being said, this is a problem with us vet players now, in that we need to make a better effort in helping out the newbs as it was done in the past, so that they learn from our experiences, and hopefully stay around and grow with the game. They are the game's future, because many vet players will just play in their comfort groups, and eventually get bored and leave, and so the new blood is desperately needed. And I use the word desperate, because that's how I feel. The population of the game is about 1/3 it was when I had started over 4 years ago.

    Which brings me to my next point, which is that the present game population just cannot support multiple difficulties in the LFM panel. There's just not enough players anymore.

    The introduction of the bravery bonus/elite streak, in my opinion, was wonderful, for the reasons that you had listed, and I believe well intended. The only problem I really see with it (because I feel that even new players should be in elite groups anyway, or lower diffs if they solo and want to explore) is that compared to before the streak was introduced, we really had a 4 level spread to group players up in, wherein now it's only a 2 level spread for BB. With the lower population and sparse LFM panel, perhaps the time has come to modify the bonus to a 4 level spread again.

    Oracle traffic graph reports that when Cannith world was the default for new players, the number of logins really jumped up, showing new players trying the game. But when the default was changed to another world, the login activity dropped back in line with where it had started. THIS IS BAD NEWS!!! It shows that new players are not sticking around.

    It's up to us vets to hold some more newb hands, as was done in the past. I don't think there's much that turbine can do to curb the current cultures. But if something doesn't change soon, we won't have anyone left to play with.

    ...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

    Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

  10. #10
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    With the streaks as currently implemented I was never too bothered helping out newbs in c/n/h flagging runs. Even if it meant breaking my streaks to help them out during a TR'ing session. If you think making it take 100 quests rather than 5 quests to build up my streak is good for the game... well you're wrong.


    The best solution to the streak dilemna is to remove it and boost first time elite bonuses accordingly.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 08-25-2014 at 07:21 PM.

  11. #11
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    The biggest fix to streaks needed is how your streak can be broken on some raids, at least FoT and CITW as far as I know. I have a SS somewhere of me losing a streak of over 1500 running a norm CITW with my compendium open showing I had previous ran it on Hard.

  12. #12
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    16,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    SNIP - It's the OP if you need to re-read it!
    I'm sorry...I know what you're going for...but it just won't work!

    What will happen is just more of the same as with your suggestion everyone would have to keep their streak going no matter what!

    Yes even the People who you think have no place in Elites!

    How about simply making Streak a TR Bonus only?

    Starts on 2nd Life.
    Every 10 Quests Streaked gains 10% XP Bonus to a Maximum of 50%
    After Starting 3rd Life every 10 Quests Streaked gains 5% Bonus to a Maximum of 100%

    And you DO NOT Lose your Streak Bonus once it's been gained!

    Each subsequent life you then start with a 100% xp bonus.

    If you're already on a 4th life + - not a problem - Just go straight to the 5% per 10 quests and as soon as you've completed 200 quests at BB level you have your 100% streak bonus {which you can then NEVER lose!}.

    Streak Bonus ONLY AFFECTS Quests done at E-BB Range however!

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath
    Posts
    560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    What needs to change is the way streaks *decrement*, not increment. Breaking streak shouldn't set you all the way back to zero.
    I like this.

    ...J
    Thelanis: HoeLee, Rasminder, Cerinah, Arlinah, Shrenn, Rowkhan, Paladonis - Jakburton's Porkchop Express (now hiring)

    Sarlona: Aingell of Death, KimberLee, Soullaris the Divine, Bendyr - The Order of Cygnus

  14. #14
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    You're either taking it too literal, or being intentionally obtuse - I'm not sure which. I cited "people who worry about breaking a Streak over 5" because 5 is currently the max benefit. Here, I'll reword it:

    People who worry about loosing a 50% Streak bonus now, would continue to worry about it (if not more so) when their Streak meets or exceeds 50%.

    People who eventually want a 50% or bigger Streak bonus would be more hesitant about breaking even smaller Streaks, because it means running a whole lot more than just 5 quests to get back to where they were, plus now they've lost out some maximum benefit they can never, ever get back because Steaks have no limit.
    My point was that it takes a long time to build it up. That alone becomes the deterrent, I mean, it's going to take you at least 20 quests before it really means anything, it almost comes across as more trouble them it's worth for a new player or even a casual.


    Lets be real here, this game has moved into the direction of a Single Powerful Toon, with the whole ED's, TR's, eTR's, I-TR, you pretty much have almost an endless cycle for one toon to get to really powerful, so less and less players are bothering with stables of toons.

    and the players shooting for those goals are not only skilled enough to not only continually grow their streak, they are smart enough to not break it either.

    What makes you think they would prefer to wait until their 2nd life to start building a Steak, instead of starting their 2nd life with a Streak in progress? Hmm... What sounds more appealing: start 2nd life with an XP bonus, or start 2nd life with no XP bonus?
    For the same reason that many players had TRed without running every raid in the game 20 times or gotten a full bank of loot. It takes time, planning, effort, and it's annoying with little reward along the way.

    Lets be real here, the last thing any TR train player asks is "Boy I sure wish this process took longer for me" , they are not running out of content, they have done this all before, so that point is moot.

    new players are not going to start this game thinking "Ohh yah, I better plan for a TR" like all of us, they will level up and THEN wonder what to do, and removing the sting from breaking a streak, IE: They really can't build it up much as it is, and if they started the game F2P they could at best open normal, so if they soloed at all, that streak is never going to build, and given it's only 1% per streak bonus, unlike the 10% for 1 streak it us now, dropping that 1% to solo again, is not going to phase them as much as dropping 10% would.

    Let me paint that out for you a bit: Lets say a new players pugs with a few vets for the night, they run lets say 7 quests, h has some fun, they carry him through elite, they laugh at his deaths, where before if that new player wants to go back to soloing, they are going to lose a 50% exp bonus, now it's measly 7%, almost no sting at all.


    Not to mention while running with the vets they will over hear the discussions and lines like "Oh yah I have a 200 streak, I get 150% exp from a quest, I should make 300 by the end of this life, I'll get a 200% exp for that, and then it's down to 0.25% per streak after that, so, in about 4 more lives, I'l be around 700 which will be 300% exp"

    Most new players would be thinking "buhahahaha, yah, have fun with that, nut job, I'll focus on finishing this life"

    I mean really, the sheer amount of what you need functions like a stop gap to prevent all but the really serious to peruse it.

    For the players grinding that 50+, or 100+ this is what they wanted anyway, and there is a good chance they already ARE keeping the streak going anyway, this just rewards them for it.
    Last edited by Ungood; 08-25-2014 at 08:17 PM.

  15. #15
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    The biggest fix to streaks needed is how your streak can be broken on some raids, at least FoT and CITW as far as I know. I have a SS somewhere of me losing a streak of over 1500 running a norm CITW with my compendium open showing I had previous ran it on Hard.
    I am against Raids contributing to or affecting Streak in any way.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    I had a 1200+ elite streak at some point because I was playing heroic levels only. That would be totally ridiculous a bonus. The more exp you give to the more dedicated player is the more longetivity you give up for those in the end. On top of that, knowing human in general, it will simply lead to MORE people looking to keep their sreak up to hundreds +. Who'se gonna want to give up on so much bonuses once they obtained it and getting it back appears as climbing a huge mountain?

    Would be a very bad move imo.

    Edit: Unless the goal is to sell heart faster, I think any other bonuses would be too much right now. Exp isn't a problem at all. No need to change people's habbit in order to get some more. Or not a tiny bit less. At one point, with 10s and 10s and 10s of % bonus, it adds up. Think we've had enought personally.

    Finally, worrying about the exp bonus is not on Turbine's end imo.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 08-25-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  17. #17
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,820

    Default Are you high?

    Ungood, your entire premise is that the "new players" and "casuals" won't want what the "power gamers" have, or that they'll consider it so hard to get, so far out of reach, that they won't even bother trying to get it; and somehow this is going to be a good posative change for the game.

    You are wrong.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

  18. #18
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I am against Raids contributing to or affecting Streak in any way.
    That in and of itself I would support completely.

  19. #19
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I'm sorry...I know what you're going for...but it just won't work!

    What will happen is just more of the same as with your suggestion everyone would have to keep their streak going no matter what!

    Yes even the People who you think have no place in Elites!

    How about simply making Streak a TR Bonus only?
    This is a great question, and I understand where you are coming from with it. So I'll try to explain "why not"

    You see, giving players things is all well and good, but, there needs to be a limit on it, because if you just give things to players, they don't get that feeling of having earned something, they know that everyone is getting the same thing they have, and in a way it makes it just less special to them.

    So allowing players to Earn and Build their rewards is better for the players who enjoy power play, because it gives them something special, something that sets them apart. Something that has to be worked for, and can't just be bought from the store, in short, it gives them "Achievement Rewards" that are limited to the select group of players that are as good as they are.

    The Diminishing Returns of the Streak make it so that the gap is not that much as time moves on, it also does not take anything away from anyone else in their group, in the sense that if they are getting +1% exp or +500% exp it does not affect anyone else in any way, it only affects their personal progression through the levels.

    The fact that it is "Endless" leaves the door open for new classes, new ED's, New Ionics, so that players can continually grow their streak literally, forever, so it is something that they can make a "work in progress" and that feeling of having something to work on, give players who need that little mark of accomplishment, that something to keep working towards, something to brag about, and something to be competitive with.

    Not everything can be just given to players, giving a player something to "earn" is often times better then just giving them the thing in question, as when they earn it, they gain a sense of accomplishment, and a reason to keep plugging along.

  20. #20
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Ungood, your entire premise is that the "new players" and "casuals" won't want what the "power gamers" have, or that they'll consider it so hard to get, so far out of reach, that they won't even bother trying to get it; and somehow this is going to be a good posative change for the game.

    You are wrong.
    Oh but they can have it. With my idea, it is still there for them, it has not been removed, or put our of their reach at all, it just has been put in the game in such a way that it will be something that is there for them when they are ready and able to pursue it, but not thrown in their face when they first arrive as something they need to get NOW!

    By making it less impacting in the early stages allows it to be less obtrusive to the individual player, thus they can ignore it with little to no impact on their game play, and by doing so it allows them to put it on the back burner till they are ready to take part in it.
    Last edited by Ungood; 08-25-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload