Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Default Spies in the House - the "wheel"?

Decided to try Spies in the house Epic - hadn't played it in a long time since heroic ages ago.

For some reason, when I get to the wheel, no matter what position it's in, I can't get the air vent at the intersection of the pipes to turn in the direction I need to move forward. Tried it twice (because the first time it seemed the vent was placed wrong, too.) If memory serves me right, I got all the valves beforehand.

What obvious thing am I missing, or is there some kind of bug? It's been so long I can't remember if there's any alternative route besides that vent....

Thanks!

Community Member

Did you open the air valves below ?
    I put the wheel on second mark, orange if I recall right.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Lillou; 08-24-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    ABBYdoll : Blond Brain - Huge butt (don't stay behind or you will see nothing)
    ABBYhawk : No Brain - Big Muscles (never trust him)
    Fyros : A noob with a Great Heart (have no expectation and you will be happy)

It sounds like you're trying to use the wrong air jets. Turn the wheel twice then use the ones in the corner of the room not where the pipes intersect.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

Community Member

as mentioned--second light from right (turn twice)

You do not need to open ANY of the valves in that whole section (one underwater, one past arcane skellie, one by mobs with water elemental, one by pipes for which I always screw up the jump...)
    After turning the wheel, in the far corner behind you is a jet. Epic characters can get up to it with a quick jump
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Contrex View Post
    It sounds like you're trying to use the wrong air jets. Turn the wheel twice then use the ones in the corner of the room not where the pipes intersect.
    I thought you were supposed to use the vent at the intersection to get up to the vent in the corner, but if not, my jump of 42 (with potion) is apparently not enough to leap up to the next platform and jump across to the big draining pipes that have the corner vent. I guess I just need a lot bigger jump.
    Last edited by My2Cents; 08-24-2014 at 03:38 PM.

2014 DDO Players Council

For me, I find it easier to jump, not up and right to the pipes near the jet up, but up and left onto the wire platform, then it's easy across to the pipes & jet.

If can't make the jump, and you've turned it on, you can use the jet right beside the wheel to bring you across to the jet that sends you up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    For me, I find it easier to jump, not up and right to the pipes near the jet up, but up and left onto the wire platform, then it's easy across to the pipes & jet.

If can't make the jump, and you've turned it on, you can use the jet right beside the wheel to bring you across to the jet that sends you up.
    This--jump on the other stuff around there, then to corner jet. Have fun exploring the option--the time you lose will be saved later on an awesome xp quest

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I thought you were supposed to use the vent at the intersection to get up to the vent in the corner, but if not, my jump of 42 (with potion) is apparently not enough to leap up to the next platform and jump across to the big draining pipes that have the corner vent. I guess I just need a lot bigger jump.
    The jump skill caps at 42, so no use trying to get it higher.

Player skill on the other hand...

Did you have featherfall on?
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

This is what I do as well. Jump along the pipe then turn to the left once in the air to land on the platform. It'll take a bit of practice at first.

I believe you can also follow the ramp around the room and featherfall down to the corner jets.

It's a quest well worth learning.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

Community Member

I can jump to the platform then to the pipe but only if I use a Lasting potion from the Store (I didn't pump jump as one of my primary skills), which costs. People keep telling me there's a jet right near the wheel but I can;t find it. I looked up, back, across the room shortwise, I'm baffled where that particular jet is!

A couple times I used the lasting, made the jump, and moved on in the quest, but still learning it and after 1-2 hours had to give up until next time when I can set aside a bigger block of time.

I've watched videos of people doing the quest and they seem to sail through making huge flying leaps...I really could use whatever they're using!

Maybe I'll give it a break and go see if I can twist in boulder toss or whatever it is and take another stab at Stormi the Beaches Epic.....kept getting my posterior one-or-two shotted to bits in that one...

Community Member

we were suggeting the shortcut. There are four other valves before the wheel. I forget which one activates a jet of air from the pipe above and to the left of the wheel. If u go through the trouble of turning all of them, you can jump into that air jet and fly to the back corner.
    What server are you on? Maybe someone here can run you through it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    we were suggeting the shortcut. There are four other valves before the wheel. I forget which one activates a jet of air from the pipe above and to the left of the wheel. If u go through the trouble of turning all of them, you can jump into that air jet and fly to the back corner.
    What server are you on? Maybe someone here can run you through it
    Hmm, 4 other valves, there's the switch on entry, the valve under water on entry, the valve in the corner at the bottom near entry with the lights facing up from the floor, the valve on that "little ledge" you normally get to by crossing a pipe (before the drawbridge opens up)...and..a fourth..that must be my problem - I'm missing a fourth valve. Ok, I'll find that fourth valve, I bet that's the key....I overlooked a valve...

Community Member

Fyi: it took me all of 60 seconds to find the 4th valve, now that I knew I needed to find one more.

And that other vent in the lower corner lit up, as well as the vent by the wheel which was coming out of a pipe-end. Once that vent started it was a piece of cake to jump to the corner.

Boy is it easy now

Community Member

You do not need to turn on any valve (other than the one in the beginning--the switch--in order to get past the mephits and water elemental). In this screenie, after you turn the wheel two notches, jump up on the ledge that I circled, and then onto the back corner.
    I am sure there are other shortcuts for doing this; this is what I do now. Even though it is the same height as the pipes you are trying to get to, it is easier to jump onto. Not sure why. I guess the pipes are slippery...

Community Member

You do not need to turn on any valve (other than the one in the beginning--the switch--in order to get past the mephits and water elemental). In this screenie, after you turn the wheel two notches, jump up on the ledge that I circled, and then onto the back corner.
    I am sure there are other shortcuts for doing this; this is what I do now. Even though it is the same height as the pipes you are trying to get to, it is easier to jump onto. Not sure why. I guess the pipes are slippery...

Yes you are right, and others have mentioned that and I have done that too,,,

BUT that requires a jump skill in the high 30's. When I built my character I did not focus on jump, so as a melee, the only way to get jump skill high enough for my current build is with a lasting Potion from the DDO store. With a lasting postion and GH I capped jump and could reach those platforms.

So, yes, I agree, if you have enough jump, you can, and I did, do that. Unfortunately it took me a few practice tries as I got to know the dungeon and that costs a few lasting potions.

Remember that Jump boosters like scrolls and potions only give 10 additional JUMP to melees, so if you don't get a jump in the high 30's, and if you don't have a jump-pumped build you just can't quite reach those platforms, I tried a number of times.

In that case, I was just missing a valve to turn on a jet right next to the wheel which works like a charm. Once someone mentioned there were 4 valves, i found it very quickly and problem solved right away.

Someone ought to add to the Wiki description that there are 4 valves, or about the vent next to the wheel. Maybe I will.

Community Member

Yes you are right, and others have mentioned that and I have done that too,,,

BUT that requires a jump skill in the high 30's. When I built my character I did not focus on jump, so as a melee, the only way to get jump skill high enough for my current build is with a lasting Potion from the DDO store. With a lasting postion and GH I capped jump and could reach those platforms.

So, yes, I agree, if you have enough jump, you can, and I did, do that. Unfortunately it took me a few practice tries as I got to know the dungeon and that costs a few lasting potions.

Remember that Jump boosters like scrolls and potions only give 10 additional JUMP to melees, so if you don't get a jump in the high 30's, and if you don't have a jump-pumped build you just can't quite reach those platforms, I tried a number of times.

In that case, I was just missing a valve to turn on a jet right next to the wheel which works like a charm. Once someone mentioned there were 4 valves, i found it very quickly and problem solved right away.

Someone ought to add to the Wiki description that there are 4 valves, or about the vent next to the wheel. Maybe I will.
    I noticed that you do not have as many spawns up above if you avoid all the valves and just jump it (no wizards or gargoyles; just skellies and a water elemental). My jump is not that high--41 without buffs, but I see that it has been enough. You can boost it as a skill also, i.e. Greater Heroism etc. If you have monk levels, the Jidz Teca will give an insight bonus to Jump in air stance.

2014 DDO Players Council

When I built my character I did not focus on jump, so as a melee, the only way to get jump skill high enough for my current build is with a lasting Potion from the DDO store.
    Consider farming up a Morah's Belt from Amrath. 3-charge clicky of +30 Jump.

Community Member

Consider farming up a Morah's Belt from Amrath. 3-charge clicky of +30 Jump.
    That belt is something I aim for on all my characters. Alternatively:
    • Minimum 6 STR with +6 item and Rage pot: 2
    • Heroism pot: 2
    • Jump pot from marketplace: 10
    • Jump item (these stack with pots): 13 (easily Cannith-crafted; lootgen can be higher)
    • Good luck: 1 (Cannith-craft to +2 or blue augment)

That's 28 already, with lots of room for easy increases like Epic Skills from each epic level. Jump caps at 40, and I know 40 isn't required for the shortcut under discussion.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    That belt is something I aim for on all my characters. Alternatively:
    • Minimum 6 STR with +6 item and Rage pot: 2
    • Heroism pot: 2
    • Jump pot from marketplace: 10
    • Jump item (these stack with pots): 13 (easily Cannith-crafted; lootgen can be higher)
    • Good luck: 1 (Cannith-craft to +2 or blue augment)

That's 28 already, with lots of room for easy increases like Epic Skills from each epic level. Jump caps at 40, and I know 40 isn't required for the shortcut under discussion.
    Nice breakdown! Plus the OP used GH and is a melee--I am assuming a Str build, so he or she may be missing something from this list?
    I can confirm that there are far fewer mobs above (post-corner jet) if you DO NOT turn any valves. You avoid fighting four wizards and four gargoyles when facing the skellie archers (at least on EH).

A question--where the effen are the breakables? You only need a dozen for a big xp boost. I found some at the end, and a few are by the area of the special locked chest

Community Member

A question--where the effen are the breakables?
    Oh dear. I run this quest daily and seem to always end up getting people who don't know to get the breakables at the end while I diligently get them on the way up to rack up the bonus.

4: jet/wing chest
    2: beside first shrine on opposite side of gate; range while clearing to the red-named miniboss
    4: bookcases after miniboss
    4: one of the valves before the jet/electric floor (valve that disables the blades)
    4: level of the water elementals; two on the shrine side and two more on the other nonwater side
    2: last nonepic chest
    2: epic chest; peek around the corner and range before completing
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast