Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80
  1. #1
    Community Member Kawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    At you. Not 'with you'.
    Posts
    1,694

    Thumbs up Pencils down... Push you're glasses up!

    This concludes test.

    That little glow wasn't causing even 0.000000001% lag.

    Pls give us our Lantern Archon back?
    Last edited by Kawai; 10-24-2014 at 07:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Nestroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Europe, and proud of it
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    This concludes test.

    That little glow wasn't causing 0.00000000!% lag.

    Pls give us our Lantern Archon back?
    But... But you can´t undo their actionism, even as few impact on lag it had... No way back... *snif*

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    This concludes test.

    That little glow wasn't causing 0.00000000!% lag.

    Pls give us our Lantern Archon back?
    Absolutely Not!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!
    Under no uncertain terms should FvS ever be able to run Rainbow in the Dark WITHOUT using the Scepter!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

    It absolutely ruins the integrity of the game when this happens so It HAD* to be fixed!!!!1!!!!!!11!!!11!

    * - tanking the lantern was a needed fix instead of fixing, oh say, um maybe other things like Duping, Astral Shard Duping, Saga Reward Duping, etc, etc.....

  4. #4
    Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I don't know. I think I'm still going to trust the guys in charge and with hands on the code more than your anecdotal evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

  5. #5
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    I don't know. I think I'm still going to trust the guys in charge and with hands on the code more than your anecdotal evidence.
    In my experience, the things that would have been more likely to lag my NWN server were Heartbeat scripts, so things like the Moonbow enhancement in AA that gives you temp SPs would be more of a lag causer than the moving light source would be. Get a lot of those firing at the same time, and it can cause havoc.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council
    Impaqt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    20,216

    Default

    So you have determined that since lag still exists after the archon was changed then the archon must not of caused any lag?

    /facepalm
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  7. #7
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    Absolutely Not!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!
    Under no uncertain terms should FvS ever be able to run Rainbow in the Dark WITHOUT using the Scepter!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

    It absolutely ruins the integrity of the game when this happens so It HAD* to be fixed!!!!1!!!!!!11!!!11!

    * - tanking the lantern was a needed fix instead of fixing, oh say, um maybe other things like Duping, Astral Shard Duping, Saga Reward Duping, etc, etc.....
    FvS was not special. Anyone with UMD or the ability to cast summon monster IV scrolls could do the same thing.

  8. #8
    Community Member Kawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    At you. Not 'with you'.
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    So you have determined that since lag still exists after the archon was changed then the archon must not of caused any lag?

    /facepalm
    No, sweety, Push the glasses UP...
    -dont take them OFF when you read?!

    i haven't determined anything.
    *shrug

    i m declaring it!
    -lantern never did cause lag, and it never will.

    Nothing changed when they tuned them off.
    and its only gotten worse.

    If anything... it should be a toggle for us to decide if framerate/lag can be better for us individually, (along with every leave in the forests. talk about graphic lag, ere go).

    & oh yea,
    :P

  9. #9
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    The good news is fireball still lights up the area, so sorcs still don't need to hold the candle.

    Also the fireball rune arms, like hand of the tomb, so arti's dont need it either.

  10. #10
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    11,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    Absolutely Not!!!!1!!!1!!!!!!
    Under no uncertain terms should FvS ever be able to run Rainbow in the Dark WITHOUT using the Scepter!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

    It absolutely ruins the integrity of the game when this happens so It HAD* to be fixed!!!!1!!!!!!11!!!11!

    * - tanking the lantern was a needed fix instead of fixing, oh say, um maybe other things like Duping, Astral Shard Duping, Saga Reward Duping, etc, etc.....
    Are you sure the Devs will understand that the above is you know....SARCASM!

    Don't give them ideas!

  11. #11
    Community Member Knobull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Actually, ever since they removed the lantern archon, I have noticed a significant increase in graphics lag under certain conditions (I know the difference between network and graphics lag, framerates make that obvious).

    I run DDO on a marginal system. I run it on the lowest settings. Now, areas with many firetraps (such as Prove your Worth fire trap room, or the fire trap tunnel in The Claw of Vulkoor) cause massive graphics lag (almost unplayable). Also, Acid Rain now causes significant graphics lag as well. This was not the case before they removed the lantern archon.

    My guess is that they changed something in the rendering that made the lantern archon too demanding where it had not been before, and so removed it.

    Over the last two years, changes to the physics and graphics engines keep being made that degrade the quality of the game significantly. I can only conclude: PHB.
    Last edited by Knobull; 08-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.

  12. #12
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    11,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    -lantern never did cause lag, and it never will.

    Nothing changed when they tuned them off.
    and its only gotten worse.
    Cannith especially has been insanely laggy recently - Red Latency and DCs are commonplace!

    If Lag continues to get worse AFTER the Devs have made a change absolutely no-one wanted that's supposed to make it better...How on Eberron are we supposed to believe that Change was of any use?
    OR
    Was anything to do with making Lag better anyway?

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenging_Angel View Post
    I don't know. I think I'm still going to trust the guys in charge and with hands on the code more than your anecdotal evidence.
    Don't know much about software testing? Coders make can make for bad testers because pride interferes with quality. Sometimes the better UI feedback comes from the users.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

    Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

  14. #14
    Community Member Knobull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Interesting... netcraft indicates that the ddo webserver stopped using Apache on f5 BIG-IP this year and is now running nginx on Linux.

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...://www.ddo.com

    Certainly noteworthy given recent observations of increased network/server lag in game. I have no evidence, but I'm guessing that the game servers used to be on/behind the f5 BIG IP platform and are no longer. I strongly suspect that the game servers and database servers for them have been virtualized, which is always bad for performance.

    Cost cutting measures. My bet is that f5 BIG-IP is pretty expensive.

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Interesting... netcraft indicates that the ddo webserver stopped using Apache on f5 BIG-IP this year and is now running nginx on Linux.

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...://www.ddo.com

    Certainly noteworthy given recent observations of increased network/server lag in game. I have no evidence, but I'm guessing that the game servers used to be on/behind the f5 BIG IP platform and are no longer. I strongly suspect that the game servers and database servers for them have been virtualized, which is always bad for performance.

    Cost cutting measures. My bet is that f5 BIG-IP is pretty expensive.
    It's much more likely that any recent increases in lag are caused by the massive amount of dupers. You know, the ones that purposely cause lag to dupe items.

  16. #16
    Community Member Knobull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    It's much more likely that any recent increases in lag are caused by the massive amount of dupers. You know, the ones that purposely cause lag to dupe items.
    Yes, I had previously suggested such myself. What they are doing is exactly the kind of thing that will bork a udp game server. It irks me that they act like elite hackers or something.

    Though perhaps dropping the BIG-IP platorm is related? Look at what it does. Such a product could have been protecting the game servers from anomalous network traffic.

  17. #17
    Community Member Knobull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    But back the to subject of graphics lag... this is down to 4.3 fps. It did not used to be this way.


  18. #18
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,929

    Default Salt in the wound

    Quote Originally Posted by Kawai
    Pls give us our Lantern Archon back?
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that it's still called a "Lantern" Archon?
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

  19. #19
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that it's still called a "Lantern" Archon?
    I used to call it my flashlight. I have to run with the brightness turned down a bit due to my migraines, and it made it easier to see in quests that don't require you to carry a torch.

  20. #20
    Community Member Kawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    At you. Not 'with you'.
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    I used to call it my flashlight...
    oO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload