Default Artificers just got better

"Feats

Overwhelming Critical no longer requires Great Cleave, and no longer has a Strength requirement."

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...dated-8-21-14)

Community Member

They've also been nerfed hard. I'm not sure if they still function with Master's Blitz, but even if they do, the loss of power from Master's Blitz will hit them hard.

What do you mean? Ranged no longer works with Master's Blitz???

Uhg...thought I could take my artie out of the closet now, but I guess not.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    What do you mean? Ranged no longer works with Master's Blitz???

Uhg...thought I could take my artie out of the closet now, but I guess not.
    I don't "know" as I haven't tested it yet.

But I doubt ranged is effected by Melee Power. IF it still works with Blitz, then there's some special sauce in there to allow it, but since Blitz isn't as powerful now (the power it had before is spread out through epic levels and ED cores in the form of Melee Power), it would be less powerful than before for ranged. It's less powerful for melee too, but the melee make it up from Melee Power in different forms.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    I don't "know" as I haven't tested it yet.

But I doubt ranged is effected by Melee Power. IF it still works with Blitz, then there's some special sauce in there to allow it, but since Blitz isn't as powerful now (the power it had before is spread out through epic levels and ED cores in the form of Melee Power), it would be less powerful than before for ranged. It's less powerful for melee too, but the melee make it up from Melee Power in different forms.
    Yes, you're right. Ranged isn't going to be affected by spellpower. I was just happy that we could add overwhelming crit to our useful feats - but the addition of melee power per epic level and no such bonus for ranged (b/c they're trying to balance monchers) leaves xbow arties waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind in terms of damage output. Yes, our dps will go up b/c of the feat but it won't be anywhere near what melees will be doing. Arties have become the forgotten stepchild.

On the other hand, the new rune arm looks unreal. It will fit perfectly on my artie and make everything happy for force using arties.

Actually, according to another post I read, Blitz scales both ranged power and melee power.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Actually, according to another post I read, Blitz scales both ranged power and melee power.
    Yes, Blitz does. They're changing how it scales, though. I believe, but am not certain, that ranged power will decrease - I should really look that up though (ok, looked it up, couldn't find it).

However, what I was specially referring to was that melee power is going to be boosted for each level of epic, while ranged is not. So melee dps is going to more wildly outstrip artificer ranged dps, while kind of catching up to monkcher ranged dps. Some people were saying that melee dps is crazy on Lam right now - waaaaay over the top. If so, and if that goes live, then xbow users just won't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Yes, Blitz does. They're changing how it scales, though. I believe, but am not certain, that ranged power will decrease - I should really look that up though (ok, looked it up, couldn't find it).

However, what I was specially referring to was that melee power is going to be boosted for each level of epic, while ranged is not. So melee dps is going to more wildly outstrip artificer ranged dps, while kind of catching up to monkcher ranged dps. Some people were saying that melee dps is crazy on Lam right now - waaaaay over the top. If so, and if that goes live, then xbow users just won't compare.
    I personally am excited for the new update on my pure arti. I will gain overwhelming crit , a new rune arm and the new harper tree looks great for arties. Int to hit and know the angles , if this works as described 1/2 int mod to damage , this will give arties a nice little boost. Not to mention the only source of ranged power outside of blitz that I know of.

Will be dropping a lot of the caster tree for the harper tree and will keep 41 in battle engineer.
    Azrreal / 28 completionist and epic completionist / Artificer 20
    Azrealla / 28 12 fighter / 4 monk / 4 pali
    Hoehoe / 28 ranger
    Twinkiee / 28 18 sorc / 2 pali
    Dingdong / 28 pali
    Razeall / 28 18 monk / 2 fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Irongutz2000 View Post
    I personally am excited for the new update on my pure arti. I will gain overwhelming crit , a new rune arm and the new harper tree looks great for arties. Int to hit and know the angles , if this works as described 1/2 int mod to damage , this will give arties a nice little boost. Not to mention the only source of ranged power outside of blitz that I know of.

Will be dropping a lot of the caster tree for the harper tree and will keep 41 in battle engineer.
    Yeah, totally - just found out about this new tree. It looks great for arties! I'm a touch worried about losing some spell power, but it looks like they've added that in anyways. Pure arties need so much work to stay viable in EE, these changes will be a boon.

Edit: Oh, Fury is going to be chanted to 'adds 300% melee/ranged power to your next attack' etc. So Fury will also add ranged damage.

Default Harper Tree: what to add

From this page:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Harper_enhancements

I play a ranged artie, with 41 pts in BE. So that leaves 39 points out of it. I also put 3 pts into human for the damage boost and +1 con (unless my con is odd, then I put this somewhere else - changes as I level). I'll put them in the order I'd pick them, so you can see the AP cost.

Core 1: Agent of Good I (req. lvl1, 1AP): +1 to hit versus evil, +1 Universal Spell Power (1 pt)

Tier 1:

Harper Enchantment I: Your weapon gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus. You gain +20 to your maximum Spell Points. (2 AP)
    Traveler's Toughness: +5/+10/+15 maximum hit points. (3 AP)

[that's 5 AP, moving on to Tier 2]

Versatile Adept I: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power. (3 AP)
    Know the Angles: Antirequisite: Divine Might. You gain an Insight bonus to damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to ½ your Intelligence Modifier for 30/60/120 seconds. (Activation Cost: 21/18/15 spell points. Cooldown: 20 seconds) (3 AP)

NOTE: This next one is in Tier 2. If it stacks with Insightful Damage, it's totally worth it. If it doesn't, it's not. I'd much rather take a spell slot than spend AP. I have troubles believing it stacks, but it might. We totally could use the boost!

Strategic Combat II: You can use your Intelligence modifier for damage with Melee and Missile weapons. (2 AP)

[so ignoring Strategic Combat II, that's 11 AP]

Core 2: Harper Training I: Int or Cha or Dex. (1 AP). [I'm going to take Cha. Just kidding.]
    Core 3: Agent of Good II: +2 to hit and damage versus evil, +5 Universal Spell Power. (1 AP)

Versatile Adept II: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power. (3 AP)
    Int or Dex: +1 Intelligence or Dexterity (2 AP)

[At this point, it's only 15 AP, so we have to blow 5 AP. There are several ways you can do this. If Strat Com II stacks, then you'll have to take Strat Com I and II, costing 4 AP. You only need to blow 1 AP then, and anything will suffice. If you use a pet, then get the pet one: Harper's Leadership: Your hirelings, summoned, and charmed creatures gain +2/3/4 to all ability scores. In the event that Strat Com doesn't stack, I'd probably go with pet and skills or pet and energy saves. With Druid past lives and Augment Summoning, and this, the pet could be a total powerhouse of evil doom, for goodness!]

Ok, so that's 20 forced Aps

Core 4: Harper Training II: Int or Cha or Dex. (1 AP)
    Versatile Adept III: +2/+4/+6 to Melee Power, Ranged Power, and Universal Spell Power. (3 AP)
    Int or Dex: +1 Intelligence or Dexterity (2 AP)
    Vigor of Life: +10 Positive Healing Amplification. -10% less damage from Negative Energy. (2 AP)

Throat Dagger: Damages an enemy from afar for 1d4+4 Piercing damage per character level. Damaged non-boss enemies can't cast spells for 6 seconds. (This Spell Like Ability can be Quickened or Enlarged for no extra cost, if you have those feats.) Higher ranks reduce the small spell point cost and reduce the cooldown. (3 AP) [NOTE: I really hope this one is buffed by impulse. If so, this power will be super totally awesome with an extra stop casters benefit]

We're now at 31 APs.

Core 5: Agent of Good III: +3 to hit and damage versus evil, +10 Universal Spell Power. (1 AP)

And that's as far as I'm going to go in this tree. The tier 5 stuff in BE are too good to give up. So 32 pts spent. That leaves me with 3 for human, making it 35 APs and therefore 4 left over - probably get the core of Arcanotech and the first tier of spell crit.

TRADE OFFS:

- loss of 3% spell crit. That's like missing 1 crit out of 33. So...not so bad.
    - loss of 36 spell power. But gain of 37 spell power in this tree (all the above plus the +1 weapon enchantment adds 3 for us, b/c of BE).
    - loss of doggie buffs. If you're going the puppet master route, and you have 3 druid past lives, augment summoning and the above bonus, you probably also want all the AT buffs you can get for your doggie. I don't know how that will help you in EE, but it certainly would make the puppie more survivable. I personally find that my doggie, who does not enjoy these benefits, dies in about 8 seconds in EE combat).
    - loss of lightning bolt, and all the SLAs in AT that I don't use
    - loss of palliative and critical admixture
    - loss of +2 Int, but gain of + 4 Int
    - gain of + 6 damage against evil
    - gain of + 1 damage (included in above against evil; don't add twice), + 18 ranged power

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

THOUGHTS:

So we get a really nice buff - adding half int to damage - a stacking +6 damage, +18 ranged and spell power, and 2 extra int (for an extra +1 damage, dc and more sp). For the xbow, that's something like a 10-25 % increase in dps, depending on your current output and int. That +1/2 int mod will be always running in combat, since the cool down is only 20 seconds, providing at least another +10 damage. Additionally, I have high hopes for Throat Dagger. It's going to be extremely useful, along with Prismatic Strike for stopping EE casters.

All in all, this is a nice replacement for the loss of BT. It's not going to make arties into moncher damage, but it's going to put us back up into the tier 2 category for dps output.

Edit: woops! I'll probably take Wand and Scroll Mastery over the crit. That will be 4 points total, so it works out perfectly.
    Last edited by Singular; 09-16-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Writing edits

I too am excited about Harper but, will be taking a different route entirely

I'll likely still multi class ~24 points in BE capstone in Some other ranged tree and the rest in Harper.