Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Any chance that they'd actually make the game challenging one day?

By that I'm talking about the entire game, level 1 to 28. But especially heroic content. It seems to be a consensus that elite is really in fact normal difficulty, and hard and below is the casual difficulty.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cathimon View Post
    By that I'm talking about the entire game, level 1 to 28. But especially heroic content. It seems to be a consensus that elite is really in fact normal difficulty, and hard and below is the casual difficulty.
    Absolutely not.

Every update releases more player power, and the playerbase seems to be happy with it. If you're looking for a challenge, this isn't the game for you. The people left in the game obviously want it to become nothing more than a casual xp grind, and the devs are listening. I don't see any hope of that changing.

challenge is all talk. no fail Threnal quests is what the players really want.

Are you for real??????
    what part of elite heroic at level is classed as easy? I still die on heroic elite at level when i have a tr toon on the go.
    game is fine where it is thank you very much. you must just be an uber pants player
    Enjoy the compliment and the game

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

^ what qhaulor said.

examples of what ddo players want:

threnal - nerfed

crucible - nerfed

why do people run raids on enorm? why are some quests which gain reputations as difficult avoided like the plague? because as soon as the estimated completion chance by the party goes under 100, people begin to think that they have better ways to waste their time. the issue isnt the game, its the culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Fighter is fine, though I agree it is behind Paladin. Their greatest weakness is actually saving throws.
    statements like this are why i have no confidence in the dev team.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunzi2010 View Post
    Are you for real??????
    what part of elite heroic at level is classed as easy? I still die on heroic elite at level when i have a tr toon on the go.
    game is fine where it is thank you very much. you must just be an uber pants player
    Enjoy the compliment and the game
    Dying occasionally doesn't mean the game is hard. Heck, I died recently from the Sahaguin in the storehouse in Korthos. That doesn't mean the quest is hard, though I feel Korthos is harder content, compared to player power, than most Epic Elites.

Community Member

Kinda agree with the guy above me. Have to ask what kinda character you run. IM Experience, I know when trying some stupid flavor builds or fotm builds on servers I don't normally play on or on my server but without guild buffs and gear from other characters; reverting back to a first lifer and easily kick me in the pants and make me appreciate how much past lives and past gear can help a character.

*Purchasing V.I.P doesn't make you a V.I.P. Just a P.W.B (Player With Benifits)
    Turbine has a QA and UI/UX problem.

Quote Originally Posted by the_one_dwarfforged View Post

crucible - nerfed

What did they do to the crucible and when did they do it? I just ran that the other day on EH, and seemed to be the same in every way I remember....
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Are you on a TR Train? Do you run Snowy Korthos, or run straight to the TR cache to "twink" up? How long do you go before you hit the cache if you're running Snowy Korthos? I mean, there are steps you can take to make the game fairly challenging, if you leave your TR gear sets in the bank. If you're running straight to the bank after a TR, who is it that you're really wanting challenged, new players? A lot of them find most of the low level content challenging already. I mean, Snowy Korthos was pretty easy for my 3 FvS past lives Sorc, but I remember when I first ran a sorc in Snowy Korthos, it was pretty challenging, with no past lives, and no gear other than what I dropped. No coin for hires, etc.

If you're running straight to the bank, and are going to come back with "I earned the gear, I have the right to use it" I'm going to tell you that you are absolutely correct; and then I'm going to point out that just because you trivialize the content by "twinking" out for it doesn't mean the developers have to turn it up to 11 to keep you challenged. If you're interested in challenge, then take it upon yourself to be challenged, instead of trivializing the content, and then complaining because it's too easy.

Community Member

Yeah I forgot about hirelings. With daily dice now you can pretty much get 1k plat fairly easily at start to fuel a first lifers beginning addiction to hirelings. Granted before DD you could logoff/logon farm the beginning barrel/crates for stuff to sell to get a hireling before first korthos quest.

*Purchasing V.I.P doesn't make you a V.I.P. Just a P.W.B (Player With Benifits)
    Turbine has a QA and UI/UX problem.

Community Member

Sure, TR with the loot and PL + ship buffs it's easier. But still, as a first lifer, if you got a wee bit of experience and know what you're doing, it's still a friggin' cake walk. What would be so bad about raising the difficulty?

Needs more challenge here, it's boring man. Redo the difficulties so that elite is actually made for the elite and not everybody. Or if needed, add a new difficulty, I don't know, call it Nightmare and make it deadly for real! Has there ever been a need for the casual difficulty in the first place? I think my 93 year old grandma who never touched a keyboard could crush hard diff easy. Whats the point with normal and casual?

Don't want to be a ****, but if you run normal when you can skip it through VIP or TR or Team, something's wrong with your abilities, no joke!

Quote Originally Posted by hunzi2010 View Post
    elite heroic at level
    This is the key. These "the game is too easy" people are min-maxers who do not play at level. They play quests on elite as far below level as possible without an XP penalty to maximise XP and "bravery bonus" () streaks, and zerg like mad. If XP/min is your goal, you can surely find a way to make the game "too easy".

This game is what you make it. You have to challenge yourself.

Try playing Irestone Inlet solo on elite with a first life pure wizard character at level 4 with no hire and nothing from the store or from a shared account bank. Then come back and tell me the game has no challenge. (...video or it didn't happen)

edit:
    Or you could *gasp* play quests well above your character's level. (If there were an XP bonus for that...) Try running Acid Wit on elite with a level 12 character (a pure class and same conditions as the Irestone challenge above).
    Last edited by Knobull; 08-21-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    This is the key. These "the game is too easy" people are min-maxers who do not play at level. They play quests on elite as far below level as possible without an XP penalty to maximise XP and "bravery bonus" () streaks, and zerg like mad. If XP/min is your goal, you can surely find a way to make the game "too easy".

This game is what you make it. You have to challenge yourself.

Try playing Irestone Inlet solo on elite with a first life wizard character at level 4 with no hire and nothing from the store or from a shared account bank. Then come back and tell me the game has no challenge. (...video or it didn't happen)
    Seriously, you're challenging people here to do elite Irestone Inlet run with a solo level 4 wizard? You think we can't do it?

ROFL.

Community Member

The game ~was~ rather challenging, many years ago. Dungeon Scaling was the first major blow to that. Since then there have been quite a number of game systems tacked on that were meant to try and fix the very large imbalance at 'endgame'. Spell Power was the first really big systems change that I can think of which ended up trivializing all of the existing content. Then U14 brought a whole slew of them, most of which were never very well thought out to begin with. The last couple of years have just piled more and more on top of that.

Enhancement Trees were really the knockout blow, though. Now Heroic Elite is easier to solo than Normal difficulty was 5 years ago.

Seriously, you're challenging people here to do elite Irestone Inlet run with a solo level 4 wizard? You think we can't do it?

ROFL.

Video. (and check the edit) Also, I did not suggest you could not do it, but I can pretty much guarantee it will not be "too easy". Try playing at or above your (pure) character level. And when I say "at level" I mean a quest that is your level on normal, but play it on elite.

edit:
    Or you could *gasp* play quests well above your character's level. (If there were an XP bonus for that...) Try running Acid Wit on elite with a level 12 character (a pure class and same conditions as the Irestone challenge above).

Try it. It is like I said, the challenge is there. Don't just take the easy way out. Challenge yourself.
    Last edited by Knobull; 08-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Community Member

Video. (and check the edit) Also, I did not suggest you could not do it, but I can pretty much guarantee it will not be "too easy". Try playing at or above your (pure) character level.

Try it. It is like I said, the challenge is there. Don't just take the easy way out. Challenge yourself.
    I might try it. But I don't really think it matters anyway. Everybody has elite streaks and it shouldn't be that way. Sure, I can go try out to solo some quest 5 levels higher than me, naked and unbuffed but... I shouldn't have to put sticks in my wheels to enjoy this game. Why can't they make the game challenging for people who wants to play seriously and not stupidly?

Update the difficulties or add a new one so everybody can enjoy the game once more, not just noobs.

This thread again?

There is a two pronged answer to this remark:

First, try heroic elite on a first life, no twink gear, limited plat, no 32-point life character. That is what heroic elite is meant to challenge.

And second, what really takes out a lot of the challenge is meta-gaming. Once you've done a quest a lot, you know what to expect and how to overcome it.
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

Community Member

I think a nightmare mode is a perfectly acceptable solution for the percentage of players, like the OP who wants more of a challenge to earn their rep or bragging rights or whatever.

Make it super uber Kamehameha hard where all characters must roll or pee their pants at the mere sight of a kobold.
    Seriously - give them what they want; Tomb of Horrors style and then some. Make it so impossible to beat that only the truly elite could ever hope to survive and complete the objectives. Offer the best loot imaginable and throw a Phiarlan Parade down Market Bridge every time any group, guild, party, team, boxer or soloist completes an objective.

But leave the rest of the game alone because difficulty is subjective and as you put it - many people have something wrong with their abilities.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ View Post
    This thread again?

There is a two pronged answer to this remark:

First, try heroic elite on a first life, no twink gear, limited plat, no 32-point life character. That is what heroic elite is meant to challenge.

And second, what really takes out a lot of the challenge is meta-gaming. Once you've done a quest a lot, you know what to expect and how to overcome it.
    So those of us who wants some challenge should just drop DDO and head over to an other game?

It's rather simple. You're either arguing in favor or making the game fun for everyone. Or you don't and you think no efforts should be spent into making this game fun for more people.

Seriously, newbies and bad players can stick to hard streak and still enjoy the game, while the elite players could play elite content. Or make a new difficulty, whatever float your boats.

So those of us who wants some challenge should just drop DDO and head over to an other game?

It's rather simple. You're either arguing in favor or making the game fun for everyone. Or you don't and you think no efforts should be spent into making this game fun for more people.

Seriously, newbies and bad players can stick to hard streak and still enjoy the game, while the elite players could play elite content. Or make a new difficulty, whatever float your boats.
    Some people don't like change. I agree with you - it would be nice to have a difficulty setting for TR people who want a challenge, like a Nightmare setting.

I just don't know how they'd do it - buff the mobs? Give them higher saves, more hp, damage output? I'd imagine that would be tough to balance but I guess we're asking for nightmare, so if they erred on the side of "oops, no one can complete this" that would be great.

I remember when I first started, this game was really tough. I never had enough money, and each quest improved my lot on some small scale. On my second life, it got easier - by the third one, super easy (I'm slow that way). Now it really has become an xp/min game to get past lives, etrs and so on.

I think a lot of that is b/c the rewards are so time consuming to get. So everyone is "playing to play" as in running EH content just for the XP and thinking "one day, when I'm powerful and happy with what my character has accomplished, then I'll run the EE stuff. One day."

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast