Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Great news everyone: Abbot will still be relevant for something as of U23.
    Member of Storm Lords on Thelanis.
    Portalcat (Completionist, Epic Completionist), Catwithnuke, Catwithaxe

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Great, so it should have boosted repeating cross bows, but now my rogue and artificer builds have huge penalties associated with UMD'ing scrolls. Your attempt at reigning in monks and shuriken tossers here has missed the mark, why didn't you go for a far more precise option of -1 or -2 ki generation ?
    Or even "Wearing this item un-Centers you."

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    thnx for the pic.

seeing it now, I don't think its something overpowering even without the -50 concentration. it looks more like an item trying to prevent Monkchers from wanting to use it more than anything else.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Default /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    Correct.

The description (+5 Competence) is inaccurate, functionality and name (-50) are correct.
    It should have a ML of 20, which it does not in the current Lamannia build.

The Speed effect should also be a Ranged-Only version of Speed, which it does not have in the current Lamannia build.
    Lol What!?

So this is clearly an item targeted to ranged builds (since the Speed effect is intended to be Ranged only) and yet, most ranged builds I see have Monk for 10k Stars (which requires Ki, and Concentration heavily effects Ki) and/or Shuriken Expertise; and even the few nonMonk Ranged builds I see use UMD for scroll heals.

Just what non-Monk, non-UMD Ranged builds did you think this would appeal to? It's like it's the new Madstone Boots - that terrible, horible joke of an item that has both Potency (to make your spells better) and a clicky/proc to make it so you can't cast spells...

Did this item get released too soon? Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be released in (vary) early April? Say... around the 1st?

Edit:
    Can it atleast get the Augment Slot upgradeability? Something to give it more value than just Sneak Attack? (<- btw, the Epic Quivers of Poison out damage the Sneak Attack effect, and aren't agro conditional either). Speed items are plentiful, and nondiscriminant between Ranged and Melee; melee that want to generate Threat won't want this... I'm genuinely curious just what sort of builds/characters/whatever anyone thinks would find this item desirable as-is.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 08-21-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Community Member stoopid_cowboy's Avatar

LOLz
    The butthurt in this thread is truly popcorn worthy!

Let me share a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar
    And not every item needs to work well for every class.
    Simply put, if you don't like the item, DON'T USE IT!!!
    This is a very nice item for certain people and certain characters. If it doesn't fit your current character, don't use it.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I guess pants can be optional

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stoopid_cowboy View Post
    LOLz
    The butthurt in this thread is truly popcorn worthy!

Let me share a quote from another thread:

Simply put, if you don't like the item, DON'T USE IT!!!
    This is a very nice item for certain people and certain characters. If it doesn't fit your current character, don't use it.

/thread
    so basically good for a Bowbarian. gotcha.
    Gary Gygax quotes

The essence of a role-playing game is that it is a group, cooperative experience.

There is no winning or losing, but rather the value is in the experience of imagining yourself as a character in whatever genre you are involved in, whether its a fantasy game, the Wild West, secret agents or whatever else. You get to sort of vicariously experience those things.

Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, its not a game.

When AI approximates Machine Intelligence, than many online and computer run RPGs will move toward actual RPG activity. Nonetheless, that will not replace the experience of "being there" anymore than seeing a theatrical motion picture can replace the stage play.

The secret we should never let the game masters know is that they don't need any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    so basically good for a Bowbarian. gotcha.
    Think bigger!

Woot!

Rage away with no fear of breaking your concentration checks...

Great for trying to hit those mobs the other toons are kiting...

maybe now that this item has hit live there will be some more momentum behind adjusting this stat.

The Nak Abides - Ascent - Argonnessen
    Tanak Arcarius (TR) ~ Xanak the Irregular (TR) ~ Sanak the Streak (TR)
    Ganak Goblinjuicer (TR) ~ Panak (TR) ~ Wanak Ryuha (TR) ~ Vanak Ahriman (TR)
    Manak Bloodscreamer (TR) ~ Qanak the Absolute (TR) ~ Kanak (TR) ~ Fanak Voltaic(TR)

2016 DDO Players Council UurlockYgmeov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lifespawn View Post
    a simple you cannot gain ki while using this item such as stalwart stance locks out rage would have been better and much more focused this screws over any build that needs concentration for anything
    This.

and -50. Wow. That is the single most powerful curse in the game hands down.

Understand about the ML - but still. My existing Quiver is better - guess time to go farm that EE Quiver of Poison.

I really don't think this is purposely aimed at monkchers.

Just recall all those "a wizard stole my abbot quiver" threads from some time ago, back then bow users were mostly rangers/fighters. Looks to me they wanted to address those years ol concerns in advance, instead they step on all monkchers and shuriken throwers, which is kinda amusing. I will loot one of these on my wiz the first time I get a chance and will boast that I don't need concentration with quicken.

Keep calm and keep using quiver of poison.

It should have a ML of 20, which it does not in the current Lamannia build.

The Speed effect should also be a Ranged-Only version of Speed, which it does not have in the current Lamannia build.
    If you change the speed effect to ranged only then you turn this into junk.
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 42/42, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    I really don't think this is purposely aimed at monkchers.

Just recall all those "a wizard stole my abbot quiver" threads from some time ago, back then bow users were mostly rangers/fighters. Looks to me they wanted to address those years ol concerns in advance, instead they step on all monkchers and shuriken throwers, which is kinda amusing. I will loot one of these on my wiz the first time I get a chance and will boast that I don't need concentration with quicken.

Keep calm and keep using quiver of poison.
    abbot quiver gave run speed at no ml so it was useful to all classes this is supposed to give speed attack only to ranged making this a moot point and clearly an item meant to stop the monkchers and thrower builds which again would have been better to just block ki generation(so they would switch hit things to build ki then put back on) or -15 ki per second or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lifespawn View Post
    abbot quiver gave run speed at no ml so it was useful to all classes this is supposed to give speed attack only to ranged making this a moot point and clearly an item meant to stop the monkchers and thrower builds which again would have been better to just block ki generation(so they would switch hit things to build ki then put back on) or -15 ki per second or something.
    the heroic version gave 10ranged alac, and 30striding at lvl1,
    haste gives 22% ranged alac and 32% striding.
    this gives 15 ranged alac, 30striding, and sneak attack and reduced threat, at lvl 20, I honestly cant think of a person who would use this as it currently is. even if you took off the -50concentration it still would be garbage, and if the curse was seriously put there to stop monkers from using it. then do what others have said and have it reduce ki in some way. seriously with that large of a curse, it should be a no ml item like the heroic version.

if they gave it a constant haste effect (so it gave 22% ranged alac, or better) took off the curse or changed it to only effect the builds they dont want to use it, and keep or raise the sneak/reduced threat, then maybe it would be used for 20-25 depending on which quiver of poison the person had.

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    This will be an unpopular opinion in today's "Kill it before it kills you" climate, but really, in a group with an actual tank, this item wouldn't be as bad for some builds as this thread would have one believe. I don't know about monkchers, I've never seen the need to play one, and the only one I've ever grouped with personally was a soul stone in my back pack telling me all about how fail I was for being a pure Ranger AA, but for that pure Ranger AA, played as if there was a tank in the group, that curse is almost meaningless. I wouldn't have agro, so Concentration wouldn't be an issue. There is no reason to believe that every item in the game can be, or should be, used by every possible class combo out there. If an item locks out a build by nature of stat +/-s, then it's probably not something I would want to equip on that particular build, and it's not like we're talking about a BiS item here. This thread comes off to me as more of a "O.o, a new shiny that I must have, even though I shouldn't really use it, so you need to 'fix' it".

Personally, the first thing I thought of when I saw it last night was putting one on my HElf Assassin, and using it with my throwing daggers, if, as with other quivers, it applies to returning throwing weapons, it will be a boon to that one in the odd situations where I find myself needing to actually use ranged. It would also work well on my Acrobat, for the same situations. With the added bonus of "hey, I don't need to buy arrows and keep a bow handy". So it's situational at best, but really, for classes that aren't supposed to have agro anyway, it's not as bad as it seems. I won't be running out to get one for my AA/FvS, but really, the Poison quiver is a better choice anyway, and I am not required to have every new shiny that comes out on every character I have. There aren't enough of them for that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12