Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Runearm suggestion for the new raid

Here's a cute little runearm for vol to drop. The visual could be a skeletal head with the 'mouth' being the 'cannon'.

Vol's skull (Minimum level 28)
    Blast type: negative blast maximum tier 5
    Infusion: negative damage VI
    Nullification +150
    Nullification lore X
    Life stealing: this runearm infuses your weapons with life-stealing: on critical hits there's a chance to drain 1-3 levels from your target.
    Taint of evil
    Green Slot

Raid item so more powerful than quest items. Life stealing because enervation might be too good? Plus it's negative so it would be of absolute no use to the actual raid itself or the deathwyrm raid, for the (tro)lols.
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    Here's a cute little runearm for vol to drop. The visual could be a skeletal head with the 'mouth' being the 'cannon'.

Nullification +150
    Nullification lore X
    Life stealing: this runearm infuses your weapons with life-stealing: on critical hits there's a chance to drain 1-3 levels from your target.
    Taint of evil
    Green Slot

Raid item so more powerful than quest items. Life stealing because enervation might be too good? Plus it's negative so it would be of absolute no use to the actual raid itself or the deathwyrm raid, for the (tro)lols.
    who would get any benefit from the nullification and nullification lore? unless i've forgotten something, artificers have no spells that would benefit from that

The runearm blast effect would
    OkarisRage, artificer master crafter
    Caldrick, mabar cleric - soon to become a mabar paladin
    Noellal, spellsinger loremistress
    Comprehensive list of cormyrean attributes

Community Member

Its a nice idea, but the problem is by the time you use it (L28) negative levels aren't nearly as useful since Epic mobs regen them so fast, and everything has like 60 levels to begin with. Also, its on crit, which actual Artis cant boost like other classes do - so this would be a runearm mostly for Bards with an Arti splash running in Cannoneer, I think, or maybe some kinda 6 Arti/14 Pal build.

If I was to tweak it but keep the same thematic idea - maybe have it be a runearm *for* undead, *against* undead? Like for Vol's undead or living devotee Artis, hunting the Abbott's forces? And, therefore, it does a Positive Energy Burst effect (scaled appropriately so its not too OP) with Pos SP and Lore. That'd be very useful even just for Cocooning and soloing, but especially for group play. And it'd be the first true support runearm, since by endgame runearms become less and less useful as direct damage sources (few ways to boost DC as monster saves inflate, long charge times without moving, etc.)

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Its a nice idea, but the problem is by the time you use it (L28) negative levels aren't nearly as useful since Epic mobs regen them so fast, and everything has like 60 levels to begin with. Also, its on crit, which actual Artis cant boost like other classes do - so this would be a runearm mostly for Bards with an Arti splash running in Cannoneer, I think, or maybe some kinda 6 Arti/14 Pal build.

If I was to tweak it but keep the same thematic idea - maybe have it be a runearm *for* undead, *against* undead? Like for Vol's undead or living devotee Artis, hunting the Abbott's forces? And, therefore, it does a Positive Energy Burst effect (scaled appropriately so its not too OP) with Pos SP and Lore. That'd be very useful even just for Cocooning and soloing, but especially for group play. And it'd be the first true support runearm, since by endgame runearms become less and less useful as direct damage sources (few ways to boost DC as monster saves inflate, long charge times without moving, etc.)
    Negs are still handy in EE, as though they regain them, they dont regain the HP lost from losing levels.. meaning they can still supply some really effective defacto DPS. The alternative suggestion of a healing burst effect is pretty cool if they could pull it off though
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Nullification +150
    Nullification lore X
    Taint of evil
    Green Slot

Interesting, but it'll be very niche since there's no way for an Arti to enhance the effect of it, at least not with enhancement points, which is why force and electric is the most potent along with acid for third.

Of course it could also be more like arcane force bolts, raw force power with the ability to drain neg levels - that would probably be something most Arti's would use more often instead of something with void lore which will still be substantially less powerful than say older force and lightning rune arms.

Nullification +150
    Nullification lore X
    Taint of evil
    Green Slot

1.) Many mobs and all bosses meanwhile have Deathward or Deathblock effective and therefore would negate the damage from the rune arm. The runearm would need a major investment in either spell penetration or dispelling equipment to make it work on at least somewhat.
    2.) Undead are totally immune against this runearm. worst case, they heal (would be a nice supplement to keep the already OP palemasters a-unlive, though).
    3.) Blast rune arms are bug ridden (targeting bug, also if you clearly aim at mobs, the blast often just goes too high or too low instead) like most blast effects. The blast is only effective on short to medium distances. The Blast due to lag often does not hit (mobs already moved out of the area until the blast goes off). The blast would not work at opponents comming into most intimate distance (trying to get at the same position the toon is - closest quater).

Not that I a against such a runearm. It would fit nicely to the Vol theme. I would suggest the following changes:

Make the projectile a ray (like Beholder´s) and make it double distance (so it could hit mobs before the DW kicks in). Make it multiple-layer (damage components that can be saved against, that can be warded against and that can not be safed against at all). Make the ray non-evadeable and non-dodgeable.Make the runearm very fast (short cooldown times). Basically a more powerful and adapted necrotic ray.

Nullification +150
    Nullification lore X
    Taint of evil
    Green Slot

I don't dislike your idea or anything, but I question how useful a negative rune arm would be. Additionally, we don't know if we're killing Vol or fighting her (I'm guessing fighting), so naming it Vol's Skull is a bit strange.
    Here's what I would suggest, just more food for thought.

Dusk & Dawn
    Blast type: Negative Bolts (Max. tier 5)
    Rune Arm Imbue: Light VI
    Nullification +138
    Nullification Lore X
    Radiant Blast: This rune arm infuses your weapons with radiant blast: This weapon stores the power of the plane of Irian deep within. Occasionally, this dynamic power comes to the surface, devastating enemies with a massive blast of radiant light.
    Green Slot
    Last edited by Varinon; 08-19-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Changed damage to light, not positive. Can't be healing everything!
    - Deleras has gotten much shorter than I remember.

While both Rune Arm ideas are interesting.

Neighther would find a home in my arsenal of Rune Arms.

The lore and spell power would only effect the Rune Arm blast forcing a casting artificer (the type who is more likely to charge and fire a Rune Arm) to wear lore and spell power items in other slots for thier own spells.

The negative damage imbue is less interesting since it will heal undead. no a thank You. I've found Neg levels on Crit nerf to chance on Crit a turn off for neg level items. Neg on Crit was good neg chance on Crit not so much.

the light Imbue looks nice along with the radiant blast still think that Glass Cannon will be better DPS even with its horrible shot and negative fortification

green slot is nice.

As for me I'll be using Tiaras Splender

LVL 15

deathblock
    Healing amp 20%
    Sliver bypass
    Imbodyment of law (neglevels to Choatic)
    light spirals
    imbue light IV

Those passives are too good for a fleshie Artifcier
    Last edited by Oxarhamar; 08-19-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    While both Rune Arm ideas are interesting.

Neighther would find a home in my arsenal of Rune Arms.

The lore and spell power would only effect the Rune Arm blast forcing a casting artificer (the type who is more likely to charge and fire a Rune Arm) to wear lore and spell power items in other slots for thier own spells.

The negative damage imbue is less interesting since it will heal undead. no a thank You. I've found Neg levels on Crit nerf to chance on Crit a turn off for neg level items. Neg on Crit was good neg chance on Crit not so much.

the light Imbue looks nice along with the radiant blast still think that Glass Cannon will be better DPS even with its horrible shot and negative fortification

green slot is nice.

As for me I'll be using Tiaras Splender

LVL 15

deathblock
    Healing amp 20%
    Sliver bypass
    Imbodyment of law (neglevels to Choatic)
    light spirals
    imbue light IV

Those passives are too good for a fleshie Artifcier
    Do you use that rune arm in EE stuff? If so, you're trading a lot of dps for those passives.

There is a Rune Arm currently planned for the new Raid, and it's different from any existing Rune Arm. Should be interesting!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nestroy View Post
    3.) Blast rune arms are bug ridden (targeting bug, also if you clearly aim at mobs, the blast often just goes too high or too low instead) like most blast effects. The blast is only effective on short to medium distances. The Blast due to lag often does not hit (mobs already moved out of the area until the blast goes off). The blast would not work at opponents comming into most intimate distance (trying to get at the same position the toon is - closest quater).
    Jump before firing, that puts enough "distance" between you and the target that the blasts will always hit, but it doesnt actually count as moving where it causes you to lose charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    There is a Rune Arm currently planned for the new Raid, and it's different from any existing Rune Arm. Should be interesting!
    Sweet! Please make sure its BtCoE, though, or at least purchaseable with tradable mats - the last few new runearms added have been tradable, which is nice since (outside of perhaps orbs) there is no other item slot for which there are so few options - no lootgen, no crafted, etc. Gating it entirely to raid content (and not just the top upgrade tier, like Thunderforged) locks out a lot of Artis who dont raid. Just look at how many Lucid Dreams or Corruptions of Nature people use compared to Toven's Hammer...

And while, yes, raid-locked gear should be the *best*, in every other case there are comparable non-raid versions...but runearms are all so unique (and this one apparently even moreso) that you simply cant substitute one for the other, like you can substitute Star of Day for Celestia on a shortsword character.

I bought Thunderholme because I could still get TF up to T2 without having to raid If the Arti-specific gear is all raid-locked, and not just upgrade-raid-locked, I dont know how much I'd consider buying Necro IV (if I didnt already own it) as a main-Arti player.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Do you use that rune arm in EE stuff? If so, you're trading a lot of dps for those passives.
    Yeah the major DPS component of runearms is the repeater imbue, and Glass Cannon and Corruption both blow Tira's out of the water. And Corruption blows Tira's out in terms of actual blast damage, even if Tira's is light. Its the by-level damage (1d6 vs 1d10) that makes the big difference.

I'd just get a Deathblock Topaz (wish they sold these at The Twelve) and take the loss to Hamp. Fleshie Arties have no good heals besides Heal Scroll and Cocoon, and both those require you try not to get hit that much in the first place And there's unfortunately very little that's worth crafting onto a trinket slot anyway (Feat: Mobility is about it for 2% Dodge)

If they had an Epic Tiras (2-20 Light imbue, +1d10 damage per level on the blast, Silver -> Metalline+Good, Craftable -> Blue+Colorless slot) then thatd be an entirely different story

Yeah the major DPS component of runearms is the repeater imbue, and Glass Cannon and Corruption both blow Tira's out of the water. And Corruption blows Tira's out in terms of actual blast damage, even if Tira's is light. Its the by-level damage (1d6 vs 1d10) that makes the big difference.

I'd just get a Deathblock Topaz (wish they sold these at The Twelve) and take the loss to Hamp. Fleshie Arties have no good heals besides Heal Scroll and Cocoon, and both those require you try not to get hit that much in the first place And there's unfortunately very little that's worth crafting onto a trinket slot anyway (Feat: Mobility is about it for 2% Dodge)

If they had an Epic Tiras (2-20 Light imbue, +1d10 damage per level on the blast, Silver -> Metalline+Good, Craftable -> Blue+Colorless slot) then thatd be an entirely different story

tiras splendor imbue is 2d6 light

The major draws are Hamp & deathblock

deathblock can be had elsewhere but free on the Runearm means you don't need to slot it

Hamp is amazing since there are not that many sources for Hamp after convalescence was removed from loot.

I crafted the masterful craftsmanship to make it a LVL 15 for iconic TRs nothing else is really needed.

With Tiras splendor Hamp PDK gloves that's 50% Hamp right there that's a big boost. I also have 2 soon to be 3 Paladin lives my Concecrated Ground hits me for more per tick than anyone I have partied with this life. I try to keep a circle on the ground at most times even if I kite I am kiting in and out of the circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Absolutely my first choice in EE on my fleshy Arti. Keeping myself alive trumps the little DPS boost that another rune arm offers.

Tira's Splender is under rated it makes fleshy Artificer extremely fun.

On a WF/BF Glass Cannon.

Please oh please make sure it has synergy with Arti's. It really would be a waste of upper end rune arms if it turns out to be a 'cool' niche but not really all that useful for most Arti's.

Sweet! Please make sure its BtCoE,
    No, please. BtCoE gear has so many issues with it and shouldn't have ever happened (it only did for the ASAH). Raid gear should be BTC on acquire, or at the very least BTA on acquire.
    You shouldn't have raid gear from raids you've never done, and if this stuff is supposed to be our endgame, I'd actually like something to work for--not something I can purchase from unscrupulous folk off the ASAH.
    - Deleras has gotten much shorter than I remember.

Jump before firing, that puts enough "distance" between you and the target that the blasts will always hit, but it doesnt actually count as moving where it causes you to lose charge.

Sweet! Please make sure its BtCoE, though, or at least purchaseable with tradable mats - the last few new runearms added have been tradable, which is nice since (outside of perhaps orbs) there is no other item slot for which there are so few options - no lootgen, no crafted, etc. Gating it entirely to raid content (and not just the top upgrade tier, like Thunderforged) locks out a lot of Artis who dont raid. Just look at how many Lucid Dreams or Corruptions of Nature people use compared to Toven's Hammer...

And while, yes, raid-locked gear should be the *best*, in every other case there are comparable non-raid versions...but runearms are all so unique (and this one apparently even moreso) that you simply cant substitute one for the other, like you can substitute Star of Day for Celestia on a shortsword character.

I bought Thunderholme because I could still get TF up to T2 without having to raid If the Arti-specific gear is all raid-locked, and not just upgrade-raid-locked, I dont know how much I'd consider buying Necro IV (if I didnt already own it) as a main-Arti player.
    No one plays like that; most of the time you move around, statically jumping with rune arm while also coordination spells and x-bow is a terrible way to do things. I suggest actually fixing it instead of wasting time with artificial type adjustments. One reason why I don't bother much with direct firing rune arms. It's generally not worth the trouble.

Raid...

.. *sigh*

(Am happy for the raiding Arties, but ...)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Varinon View Post
    No, please. BtCoE gear has so many issues with it and shouldn't have ever happened (it only did for the ASAH). Raid gear should be BTC on acquire, or at the very least BTA on acquire.
    You shouldn't have raid gear from raids you've never done, and if this stuff is supposed to be our endgame, I'd actually like something to work for--not something I can purchase from unscrupulous folk off the ASAH.

BtCoE stuff can be AH'd at any time before it's equipped. Not sure how that brought on the ASAH angst.

I see your point that raiders like to keep their pretty-pretties to themselves, but I like the BtCoE thought, too. Juuust sayin'.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast