Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Lack of Death Ward items

Am I not the only player who hates negative levels? The only way to combat it is to have a healer/fvs (and I for one would rather not have those two) or farm estar coms/abbot rings. More ways to get death ward needs to be added to the game. I know there are a couple of items like the epic dusk heart and reaver item and that's it. So I get stuck carrying Garret the tard around wherever I go just so he can cast deathward on me.

tangle root visor....get a couple of them and you will be all set.

Upgraded silver flame trinket and the jeweled cloak will help with that. Gives you 15 to 18 chances to avoid negative levels (depending on your level). Beholders become considerably less of a threat wearing both.
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

If you can get to E-star, you can trade clerical comms for deathward pots.

Quote Originally Posted by iPuffinstuff View Post
    Am I not the only player who hates negative levels? The only way to combat it is to have a healer/fvs (and I for one would rather not have those two) or farm estar coms/abbot rings. More ways to get death ward needs to be added to the game. I know there are a couple of items like the epic dusk heart and reaver item and that's it. So I get stuck carrying Garret the tard around wherever I go just so he can cast deathward on me.
    Here's the 13 page discussion on this subject from three months ago.

You're welcome
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Yeah, I was going to say you could save up the potions from the Mabar event or get them from collectible turn ins. The only other way would be to get more of the flesh rendor visors from Tangleroot. You could also get full restoration potions too...

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Here's the 13 page discussion on this subject from three months ago.

You're welcome
    that was another drama filled fun thread for me too.

ill say it again, farming the pieces for an epic Dusk Heart BTC still isn't worth the time and effort when you can get an unlimited number of visors from Tangleroot. its not worth the time and effort to farm Comms to trade in and stockpile in Eveningstar either. we do still need more options besides a goggle slot.
    #MakeDDOGreatAgain

You are the one choosing not to play alts.

Casual player now investing way less than I used to into the game, playing 1-3 months at a time and still want nothing to do with Reaper. #improvepuggrouping#alldifficultiesmatter

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by iPuffinstuff View Post
    There are actually more than enough items for one to defend themselves against all sorts of harmful spells. It doesn't have to be a death ward. Like someone already mentioned, jeweled clock is also a good item. Deathward is originally, divine's spell. They are specialized in supporting members. They can also dps pretty good, not sure how someone could hate them.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default 2 more places

Eternal Flask of Death Ward

Hirelings

• Tempys Lorben
    • Natasha Thorston
    • Heystack Ironhorse
    • Duerim Guardwell
    • Althea
    • Merenon Lior
    • Albus Gladwin
    • Selis

Hires are cheap. Summon and cast. Then dismiss. The only drawback is that you cannot do this in a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    that was another drama filled fun thread for me too.

ill say it again, farming the pieces for an epic Dusk Heart BTC still isn't worth the time and effort when you can get an unlimited number of visors from Tangleroot. its not worth the time and effort to farm Comms to trade in and stockpile in Eveningstar either. we do still need more options besides a goggle slot.
    We totally need more death ward options.

Jeweled cloak lasts all of 2 seconds, wearing this, and deathward (of any kind) are no defense against beholders and their negative levels. The greater restoration shard trinket does not recharge...

The best solution is run away and wait half an hour for the negative levels to expire (go watch tv or read a book, go to the store, take a walk...). Then return and try and get some hits in and run away again before it neg levels you to death. Rinse and repeat until you can proceed past dead beholder. If you cannot run away to safety, then the quest is a write-off, just move on to a different one. (This is all of course solo, at level. With a party of six two levels above the quest, then it is all a cake-walk.)

My theory on negative levels at this point is that they are a forced break from the game. I bet a physiologist or physiotherapist is behind it. Or my old gym teacher...

I think there are more than enough items and potions that could prevent negative energy effects.
    Ok, the pots are available only after level 20, but in heroic levels some tangleroot items and other absorbtion clickies are ok.

Anyway, guys, instead of ranting why you do not take with you a cleric (possibly "alive" and not hireling)?

And the problem is solved

(PS. Beholders antimagic cannot be countered in any way. you will suffer forever negative energy from them, so a cleric that can restore is a great option. Also a Bard is perfect. With UMD can use restoration spells (unless his level has not gone down due to beholders) )
    Last edited by MagicBlue; 08-19-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    Jeweled cloak lasts all of 2 seconds, wearing this, and deathward (of any kind) are no defense against beholders and their negative levels. The greater restoration shard trinket does not recharge...

The best solution is run away and wait half an hour for the negative levels to expire (go watch tv or read a book, go to the store, take a walk...). Then return and try and get some hits in and run away again before it neg levels you to death. Rinse and repeat until you can proceed past dead beholder. If you cannot run away to safety, then the quest is a write-off, just move on to a different one. (This is all of course solo, at level. With a party of six two levels above the quest, then it is all a cake-walk.)

My theory on negative levels at this point is that they are a forced break from the game. I bet a physiologist or physiotherapist is behind it. Or my old gym teacher...
    Or, you know, play ranged and burst the beholder from half a map away before it can see you. This is DDO, remember, melees aren't welcome!
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBlue View Post

Anyway, guys, instead of ranting why you do not take with you a cleric (possibly "alive" and not hireling)?
    :O

How dare you ask someone to cast something on you?!?!
    Cannith.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdae View Post

oh...maybe i am of the old school...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackdae View Post

OK hats off and congrats after 2 years of reading the forums at work I've finally been caught due to snorting coffe out my nose and all over my keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Knobull View Post
    It does help if you're able to kill the beholders. With a jeweled cloak and the silver flame trinket you should be able to take on 3 to 4 beholders at a time. If you're killing them so slowly that they can bleed your items dry before you get them, you might want to work on your build. Just sayin'
    "Shut up and die like a wizard"

Am I not the only player who hates negative levels?
    No sir. Not by a long shot. Neg levels are the absolute worst.

My absolute favorite thing about the OP forged classes is that they are immune to level drain. I always hated the fact that although I much preferred being human, I was eternally envious of those bolts for brains bucket heads precisely for thier ability to completely ignore negative levels. The few times I've opted to be a toaster myself, I felt like a tank when going up against level draining mobs... most notable of which are beholders. Forged classes can dance around in front of a beholder all day long with complete impunity.

My best advice, get forged. If you can stand it. They are definitely the very best and most powerful class. If you can stand it.

If, like me, you really can't stand being forged, you can try my system. The first step in my system is to accept that a negative level or two isn't the end of the world. You just have to relax a bit, there's no other way, because in my system you run around 99% of the time completely unprotected against negative levels. Personally, I always have the UMD to shake off a few negs with restoration scrolls, but even without scrolls a few negs are barely noticeable and go away on their own. What you DO NOT want is to be continually assaulted by negative levels until it severely or entirely impairs your ability to function.

Step 2 requires some very easy to get gear. Visor of the Flesh Render Gaurds from Tangleroot chain end reward. You're going to want 2-3. You're going to be tempted to get 5-6 because they only have 1 click and that only lasts 7 minutes. You only need 1, although 2 is nice, and although you will most likely never use 3, that would have you covered just about anywhere. Additionally you want 2-3 Silver Flame Talismans. Like the visor, 1 is all you need, 2 is nice, and 3 is all the overkill you will ever need.

Step 3 is simple, don't worry about negative levels anymore. ESPECIALLY negative levels from beholders! The nice thing about beholders is you already know exactly where and when to expect the handful of them that exist. Trow on your Silver Flame Talisman with 10 charges of negative energy absorption and the least of your worries will be negative levels. Even in a roomful of beholders, it's unlikely you'll go through all 10 charges, but if you have a spare you need not despair. For everything else, it's just a matter of keeping an eye out. I run around absolutely care free until I get a neg, then I immediately use the Visor to cast DW on myself. I kill off whatever gave me the neg and restore any remaining negs with scrolls.

It's that simple.

Negative levels used to induce fear and loathing, but now I shrug them off almost as easily as an OP forged class. I never worry about negs, and about the only time I've had a SF Talisman run out of charges and been forced to switch to the back up is Ghosts of Perdition.

I suppose I should take another moment to mention the process by which this system becomes seemless. Peel off a hotbar somewhere easily accessible and put the goggles you are currently wearing on one end, and the necklace you are currently wearing on the other. Next to the goggles put your 2-3 pairs of Visors, and next to the necklace put your 2-3 talismen. (In the middle of this bar I put a mantel, jeweled cloak, and my normal cloak.) Now anytime you get a neg you are 3 quick clicks away from casting DW and re-equipping your original goggles.

I guarantee that if you use my system you will never again worry about negative levels... or your money back!

Community Member

Yes, please, make every single aspect of this game insanely easy for everyone to handle without any effort except whining to the devs once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandelia View Post
    Yes, please, make every single aspect of this game insanely easy for everyone to handle without any effort except whining to the devs once in awhile.
    Hey, you know that DDO is a single player game, no?
    And a single player game must have everything to counter everything else and always win!!!!. Turbine is doing a great work on it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast