Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TF for casters: 2 sticks or 1 stick + orb?

Basically what the title says. What are the benefits of having 2 scepters, say, over 1 scepter and 1 orb (if you're a dps caster, like a shiradi sorc)?

Thanks for your replies - I can't quite figure this out. The orb gives blocking save bonuses, which might be interesting to play with. Not sure what an additional scepter provides other than just being another casting stick.

Community Member

Is this a typo? Did you mean 2 kamas?
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Not sure what an additional scepter provides other than just being another casting stick.
    Using two sticks gives you future flexibility if you later get a different stick / orb you want to use. It's planning ahead.

Libram of silver magic is extremely good, much better than another caster kama IMO. On a monk splash, you don't really have that choice though, so it basically just depends on that factor.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Is this a typo? Did you mean 2 kamas?
    No, I meant "scepters" since I'm a sorc. Uhm...is there something I'm missing here? Why are kamas better?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabbler View Post
    Using two sticks gives you future flexibility if you later get a different stick / orb you want to use. It's planning ahead.
    Good point - but then you lose out on the save bonus. But, yeah, worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Libram of silver magic is extremely good, much better than another caster kama IMO. On a monk splash, you don't really have that choice though, so it basically just depends on that factor.
    It doesn't work for my build, but thanks for the advice.

Community Member

No, I meant "scepters" since I'm a sorc. Uhm...is there something I'm missing here? Why are kamas better?
    If you someday switch / reincarnate to having Monk levels or GMOF ED, then Kama allow you to stay centered and benefit from an elemental stance. It's frequently helpful for even casting-focused Sorcerers to take Monk2.

Good point - but then you lose out on the save bonus. But, yeah, worth thinking about.
    Often better to keep moving and try to get away from the threat instead of blocking and letting things catch up to you.

on caster i usually have 4 pairs of sticks(certain spell power+crit for two/three elements or force, positive, negative, recon or stat or focus) and i rotate sticks a lot as my spell rotation goes on for situation. so, to me it is essetially not to be dependant on one set of weapons. minimal defence bonus? irrelevant to me.

edit. about kamas thing is with monk levels and stance use. personally if i splash pure caster, then it is rog for trapping 99%, certainly not monk, but could be very viable option depending on player and hes style.
    Last edited by Lallajulia; 08-17-2014 at 12:55 AM.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

Community Member

Hi,

The main problem I'm finding with TF caster sticks is what to do for spell lore until you finish them off. If you are able to fit it onto a non weapon item it can make things a lot easier.

Although I recently changed my caster back into a DC based wizard, during his time as a shiradi he got by well enough mainly using the Libram of Silver Magic and a good impulse sceptre of kinetic lore. When I had to use DoTs I just switched caster sticks to the right ones for those elements.

You've already said that you don't think you can fit the Libram in, but the spellpower bonus it is really worthwhile and probably worth the effort. The Libram does count as an orb by the way.

If you wanted to, perhaps you could tells us a bit about your build, what gear you already have and which elements you mainly use, so people can make some suggestions. I would also be interested to see how people who are in the process of making TF caster sticks have their gear set up.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

The main problem I'm finding with TF caster sticks is what to do for spell lore until you finish them off. If you are able to fit it onto a non weapon item it can make things a lot easier.

Although I recently changed my caster back into a DC based wizard, during his time as a shiradi he got by well enough mainly using the Libram of Silver Magic and a good impulse sceptre of kinetic lore. When I had to use DoTs I just switched caster sticks to the right ones for those elements.

You've already said that you don't think you can fit the Libram in, but the spellpower bonus it is really worthwhile and probably worth the effort. The Libram does count as an orb by the way.

If you wanted to, perhaps you could tells us a bit about your build, what gear you already have and which elements you mainly use, so people can make some suggestions. I would also be interested to see how people who are in the process of making TF caster sticks have their gear set up.

Thanks.
    Ah, cheers.

I play an aoe-casting air savant shiradi. So I rely heavily upon lightning and force, which means I want two caster implements. One that adds lightning lore and one for force lore. My secondary school is ice but in Shiradi, I use that less and less. With the TF sticks, I'll add ice and sonic spell power augments (I have the blasting chime for sonic lore, but don't have an ice lore - had to give that up, though at lower levels I have lore for everything). I could use the Sage's cuffs for the kinetic lore, but I prefer the Dumathoin's Bracers for that spot, and actually want the extra 2% crit.

I'm thinking about publishing my build, though it's more about spell and item choices than anything - it's just a straight up pure sorc. But I do pretty well and have no issues soloing EEs.

Since I rely upon 2 lores, the Libram doesn't help me and would gimp my build.

Edit: oh, and I have 2 casting sticks right now. I won't sub in the TF ones until they're completely finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrabbler View Post
    If you someday switch / reincarnate to having Monk levels or GMOF ED, then Kama allow you to stay centered and benefit from an elemental stance. It's frequently helpful for even casting-focused Sorcerers to take Monk2.

Often better to keep moving and try to get away from the threat instead of blocking and letting things catch up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallajulia View Post
    on caster i usually have 4 pairs of sticks(certain spell power+crit for two/three elements or force, positive, negative, recon or stat or focus) and i rotate sticks a lot as my spell rotation goes on for situation. so, to me it is essetially not to be dependant on one set of weapons. minimal defence bonus? irrelevant to me.

edit. about kamas thing is with monk levels and stance use. personally if i splash pure caster, then it is rog for trapping 99%, certainly not monk, but could be very viable option depending on player and hes style.
    Ok, cool. Thanks.

That's commendable Lallajulia that you can switch like that! I could work that in, too. But, ugggggh, it's already going to take 40 runs of both raids to make just 2 sticks! hahaha.

Community Member

Ah, cheers.

I play an aoe-casting air savant shiradi. So I rely heavily upon lightning and force, which means I want two caster implements. One that adds lightning lore and one for force lore. My secondary school is ice but in Shiradi, I use that less and less. With the TF sticks, I'll add ice and sonic spell power augments (I have the blasting chime for sonic lore, but don't have an ice lore - had to give that up, though at lower levels I have lore for everything). I could use the Sage's cuffs for the kinetic lore, but I prefer the Dumathoin's Bracers for that spot, and actually want the extra 2% crit.

I'm thinking about publishing my build, though it's more about spell and item choices than anything - it's just a straight up pure sorc. But I do pretty well and have no issues soloing EEs.

Edit: oh, and I have 2 casting sticks right now. I won't sub in the TF ones until they're completely finished.
    Hi,

Would the Epic Darkstorm Helm or the Iron Beads fit into your gearset? They both have decent, if not the best, lightning lore on them too.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

Would the Epic Darkstorm Helm or the Iron Beads fit into your gearset? They both have decent, if not the best, lightning lore on them too.

Thanks.
    Hey, thanks for your help. I've looked into those options and don't find them satisfactory b/c they take up important item positions (blue dragon helm and currently the sage's locket, though I'm going to replace that when my sticks are done) and don't maximize my damage output, whereas the two sticks do. For wizards, I totally understand why the Libram is a good thing, but it really just doesn't work on my build.

my caster currently runs with a stick and a butter knife... if I find an orb or another stick that is better than the knife (a cove dagger) the knife will go away. until then.....
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Default If you don't care about incurring the non-proficiency penalties

Bastard Swords looks awesome.

since your not going to be hitting things with them it really does not matter in your proficient or not.

Unless of course in the case of monk splashing.

Use 2 kamas if you have a monk split and want to be in stance.
    Orb can be beneficial for the wizard archmage 'traditional caster' enhancement.
    And the orb blocking bonus can situationally be useful.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Bastard Swords looks awesome.

since your not going to be hitting things with them it really does not matter in your proficient or not.

Unless of course in the case of monk splashing.
    Then you can do shuriken/kama, and use pin/whistler in shiradi. Unless you are going for align the heavens 3 monk, in which case weapon swapping all the time would be annoying.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 08-18-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Hey, thanks for your help. I've looked into those options and don't find them satisfactory b/c they take up important item positions (blue dragon helm and currently the sage's locket, though I'm going to replace that when my sticks are done) and don't maximize my damage output, whereas the two sticks do. For wizards, I totally understand why the Libram is a good thing, but it really just doesn't work on my build.
    I think it's best not to think about it in terms of what is "satisfactory" or not. Like it or not, libram will have higher DPS and +11 charisma may mean an additional DC. Since air savants are extremely DC dependent, it will always be better.

For a shiradi with limited slots, I wouldn't suggest lightning lore OR force lore on the main hand, I'd suggest dwarven lore (+17% on all elements). Even with blue dragon armor having some redundancy (which again may seem "unsatisfactory"), your DPS will likely be just as high, if not higher than if you took lightning or force lore on your main hand. This is because all shiradi proc crits are based on their own element.

Again, don't think about what is "satisfactory". Just do what maxes DPS.

Lore is one of the few things cannith crafting does well, but you need to be very high level (essentially capped) to craft flexible versions of the major lores.

EDIT: An alternative placeholder solution might be to craft up a greensteel accessory with 3 lores on it.

Basically what the title says. What are the benefits of having 2 scepters, say, over 1 scepter and 1 orb (if you're a dps caster, like a shiradi sorc)?

Thanks for your replies - I can't quite figure this out. The orb gives blocking save bonuses, which might be interesting to play with. Not sure what an additional scepter provides other than just being another casting stick.
    Outside of blocking and active melee, no advantage.

And if you are doing actual TWF on an arcane with two spell-focused scepters, you'll probably want to have your head examined.

And blocking with an orb? it's a little on the "meh" side. Your mileage may vary. I personally have lots of weapons combos on my casters, some with orbs, some with dual sticks.

Ah, cheers.

I'm leveling the same thing right now, mainly because I have the Darkstorm helm, and had it in the last life as a wizzy, I'm just planning on using it this time around anyways.

You can also cover all bases with a Spell Lore item though this is popping up a lot in random loot, and I don't think is available in Cannith Crafting. Keep and eye out for those items.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast