Community Member

Default Surprising guild recruting methods on Thelanis.

In the last two weeks I have received guild invites by virtual junk mail and been asked daily by other players if I wanted to join a guild. It was happening so often that I looked to see if my ignore guild invites flag was still set and it was.

These methods seem to be an inefficient way of recruiting new guild members.

An easy way to gather guildless newcomers in one place would be as part of a group doing certain quests on normal difficulty. The Pit, Xorian Cypher, and Invaders, are all quests that are better with groups, even on normal. Running Tempest's Spine on normal should attract them too. Few newcomers can finish the free to play raid by themselves.

Normal level LFMs should be a more efficient way of finding guildless players that may want to join a guild then asking every one. Just saying.

Community Member

One of the largest guild on Orien recruited exactly like that. A lot of players just accept to join whatever guild sends them an invite first, perhaps especially casual/newer players. It shouldn't be that way, IMO, but people just want access to ship buffs, they don't really need help to complete 'The Pit'... Well they do, but shipbuffs are more important overall!

It seems like the vast majority of guilds have nothing special or unique about them, they're all generic with the same rules and the only differences being having a different level/airship/leader/name/etc, but that's it. Also you can be in Guild X and play with Guild Y it makes no difference. So why join the level 30 guild when you can join the level 150 guild who's recruiting anybody and everybody. But that wasn't even the point of your thread so what am I saying?!

suprising??? that is the 1st thing a guild unlocks ,is the invite by mail option..of course it will get used
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

mass mailings will always catch someone. What's the typical expected rate of success on a a targeted email marketing campaign? Think I heard somewhere that 6% is about the average. Out of 100 they send to, 6 will accept... They don't care who they get, anyone with an account will do. Thelanis does have some guild spammers, no doubt about it. Wasn't always like this though... They used to spam the heck out of general chat and the trade/advise channel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

i get around 20% return on mail,though most end up free players who dont log back for way to long to waste my small guild bonus(dont mail to players who are in the bank,they usuallly dont play those toons)
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cathimon View Post
    [...]But that wasn't even the point of your thread so what am I saying?![...]
    Your response is on topic. The point of the thread is to encourage guilds to host normal level LFMs to attract guildless newcomers. In one playing session the same guy asked me three times if I wanted to join his guild and that seemed to be an inefficient way of finding new members.

It shouldn't be that way, IMO, but people just want access to ship buffs, they don't really need help to complete 'The Pit'... Well they do, but shipbuffs are more important overall!
    The ship buffs put a lot of confusing squares at the top of the screen which sometimes causes me to miss when important things like Ram's Might expire. A single ship buffs indicator would be much simpler for newcomers to deal with. In my experience buffs are less useful than having a good trapper and healer in the group anyway.

Very few guildless players can solo Tempest's Spine on normal so a LFM for that should attract plenty of guildless candidates if there are any still around. Now that my character is L16 I might be able to solo Tempest's Spine but if there had been a normal level LFM for it back when I was around L10, or so, then I would have joined it. Still haven't tried a raid but the inability to bring a hireling dissuades me from trying. My Ranger is just too squishy to quest by himself in difficult areas no matter how good his bow is.

It seems like the vast majority of guilds have nothing special or unique about them, they're all generic with the same rules and the only differences being having a different level/airship/leader/name/etc, but that's it.
    There does not seem to be any guilds with standard themes like a Magic-user's guild or one for Fighters, Rogues, or Rangers. I had a red-headed rogue named Rouge that was a member of the thieves guild in another game and that worked well. Most guilds in DDO seem to be about increasing the number of members without any real concern for compatibility and improving the game experience.

For example, my normal playing speed is quite slow and few other players can match it. If there were a slow-play guild then I would probably join it but there does not appear to be anything like that. It seems that guild membership is also exclusive which makes choosing one even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    suprising??? that is the 1st thing a guild unlocks ,is the invite by mail option..of course it will get used
    It is even more surprising that Turbine-WotC-WB would enable spamming with an "invite by mail option". If my ISP did that they would probably be charged with a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaye View Post

It is even more surprising that Turbine-WotC-WB would enable spamming with an "invite by mail option". If my ISP did that they would probably be charged with a crime.
    As with all convenience devices, they are usually open to abuse.

Is worth it for guilding one's alts when guildies are short in supply, or for guilding a friend who is offline...

I give everyone one freebie and polite decline. It's when some tard decides to continue spamming invites (mail or tell) after the first "no" that they get dealt with according to my mood that particular day.

..but I digress. Basically, the mail invite button is too useful to lose because of the occasional abuses.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Basically, the mail invite button is too useful to lose because of the occasional abuses.
    Thanks for the response, cdbd3rd, but I still do not understand why most guilds do not host normal level Tempest's Spine raids to attract guildless players instead of mass mailings or sending tells. Most newcomers have little choice but to join a group for the only free to play raid in DDO. Normal level LFMs for The Pit, Xorian Cipher, and Invaders should attract newcomers too.

It also would help if there was some description somewhere about the advantages of joining a guild. I've been playing for about 18 months and all I know is that guilds have spaceships with pedestals that put many confusing squares at the top of the screen.