Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default I found the bug!

    Is this the bug in assassinate?

    While making some videos for EE solo assassin quests, I found out that
    1. Sneak attack to-hit modifier is not being added to assassinate attempts on blinded mobs (resulting in some grazing hits - which cause auto fail)
    2. Separately, The combat log sometimes says a mob was killed by assassinate (with killer bonus) but the mob does not die.

    I also suspect that non-agro'd mobs also are not getting sneak attack bonus on assassinate.


    Has anybody taken a look at this since U22? Can someone confirm this is happening?

    My experience is that my assassinate (DC 74) always works on agro'd mobs, but not on non-agro'd and blinded mobs. I think I know why now.

    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/a3SEz9XKCb/ (image showing this happening)

    Notice at the top that I am making sneak attacks with a bonus of 65 (offhand) and 68 (primary) against an umbral rat. When I try to assassinate (bottom combat log + picture), I am in stealth and I am attacking a blinded mob at a +44 bonus. Notice that I get a grazing hit due to the low attack roll, which prevents an assassinate roll.


    Any advice as to how to get this information to the dev's?
    Last edited by nokowi; 08-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

  3. #3
    Community Member Oxarhamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,690

    Default

    upload it to a hosting site then insert a hyperlink

  4. #4
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    Is this the bug in assassinate?

    While making some videos for EE solo assassin quests, I found out that
    1. Sneak attack to-hit modifier is not being added to assassinate attempts on blinded mobs (resulting in some grazing hits - which cause auto fail)
    2. Separately, The combat log sometimes says a mob was killed by assassinate (with killer bonus) but the mob does not die.

    I also suspect that non-agro'd mobs also are not getting sneak attack bonus on assassinate.


    Has anybody taken a look at this since U22? Can someone confirm this is happening?

    My experience is that my assassinate (DC 74) always works on agro'd mobs, but not on non-agro'd and blinded mobs. I think I know why now.

    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/a3SEz9XKCb/ (image showing this happening)

    Notice at the top that I am making sneak attacks with a bonus of 65 (offhand) and 68 (primary) against an umbral rat. When I try to assassinate (bottom combat log), I am in stealth and I am attacking a blinded mob at a +44 bonus. Notice that I get a grazing hit due to the low attack roll, which prevents an assassinate roll.


    Any advice as to how to get this information to the dev's?

    Really? Nobody can take the time to check this out?

    When you suggest their is a problem with assassin, you get all kinds of nay-sayers. (Everything is fine, you just dont know how to play your toon, etc)

    Are the forums really just a place for 'know-it-alls' to tell you you don't know how to play your toon?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    Really? Nobody can take the time to check this out?

    When you suggest their is a problem with assassin, you get all kinds of nay-sayers. (Everything is fine, you just dont know how to play your toon, etc)

    Are the forums really just a place for 'know-it-alls' to tell you you don't know how to play your toon?
    I'm thankful that you're taking the time to investigate this potential issue.

    However, the forums aren't the bug report center. Others can help you substantiate a bug, but for action, please click on "Bug Report" at the top of the forum list and report what you've found so far.

    Unfortunately I haven't an assassin to verify what you've found.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

  6. #6
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    I'm thankful that you're taking the time to investigate this potential issue.

    However, the forums aren't the bug report center. Others can help you substantiate a bug, but for action, please click on "Bug Report" at the top of the forum list and report what you've found so far.

    Unfortunately I haven't an assassin to verify what you've found.
    Thanks! I will be glad to do so once I can get some confirmation. It would be nice to be able to report all of the exact conditions under which this occurs.

  7. #7
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    Are the forums really just a place for 'know-it-alls' to tell you you don't know how to play your toon?
    All too often, that would seem to be the case...
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

  8. #8
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    Is this the bug in assassinate?

    While making some videos for EE solo assassin quests, I found out that
    1. Sneak attack to-hit modifier is not being added to assassinate attempts on blinded mobs (resulting in some grazing hits - which cause auto fail)
    2. Separately, The combat log sometimes says a mob was killed by assassinate (with killer bonus) but the mob does not die.

    I also suspect that non-agro'd mobs also are not getting sneak attack bonus on assassinate.


    Has anybody taken a look at this since U22? Can someone confirm this is happening?

    My experience is that my assassinate (DC 74) always works on agro'd mobs, but not on non-agro'd and blinded mobs. I think I know why now.

    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/a3SEz9XKCb/ (image showing this happening)

    Notice at the top that I am making sneak attacks with a bonus of 65 (offhand) and 68 (primary) against an umbral rat. When I try to assassinate (bottom combat log + picture), I am in stealth and I am attacking a blinded mob at a +44 bonus. Notice that I get a grazing hit due to the low attack roll, which prevents an assassinate roll.


    Any advice as to how to get this information to the dev's?
    I submitted a bug report. I PM'd a dev. It's looks like their is no way for a player to actually communicate with the staff for DDO. It's very frustrating. I guess I have no choice but to wait and hope that turbine actually cares about their players...

  9. #9
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    6,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nokowi View Post
    I submitted a bug report. I PM'd a dev. It's looks like their is no way for a player to actually communicate with the staff for DDO. It's very frustrating. I guess I have no choice but to wait and hope that turbine actually cares about their players...
    It is unfortunate, but every company has to decide how to spend their resources. If a company spent resources every time one single person claimed there was an issue, they would go out of business. So we have the bug reporting system. Presumably if there is a bug a player will report it if it really bothers them. Of course each player will weigh the time cost of reporting a bug vs. how seriously the bug affected them so not every bug gets reported by every player who experiences it.

    The formula of bug severity for N number of players might not be perfect but it gives the developer an idea of what bugs are affecting how many players and how seriously.

  10. #10
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    It is unfortunate, but every company has to decide how to spend their resources. If a company spent resources every time one single person claimed there was an issue, they would go out of business. So we have the bug reporting system. Presumably if there is a bug a player will report it if it really bothers them. Of course each player will weigh the time cost of reporting a bug vs. how seriously the bug affected them so not every bug gets reported by every player who experiences it.

    The formula of bug severity for N number of players might not be perfect but it gives the developer an idea of what bugs are affecting how many players and how seriously.
    Following that formula, bard should never have been buffed due to the low number of bard players. Neither should barbarian or pally.

    It seems that the dev's put some stock in having all classes be playable. It is for this reason that the U22 problems with assassin need to be fixed.

    Players will flock to the most OP class/builds in the game. I hope the philosophy of the dev's is not to only address issues with the FOTM builds. DDO has many different types of players. Keeping only the FOTM players seems like a really bad thing for the quality of the game and of the player base. Many people keep playing DDO because of the people they meet.
    Last edited by nokowi; 08-16-2014 at 08:29 PM.

  11. #11
    Community Member nokowi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    It is unfortunate, but every company has to decide how to spend their resources. If a company spent resources every time one single person claimed there was an issue, they would go out of business. So we have the bug reporting system. Presumably if there is a bug a player will report it if it really bothers them. Of course each player will weigh the time cost of reporting a bug vs. how seriously the bug affected them so not every bug gets reported by every player who experiences it.

    The formula of bug severity for N number of players might not be perfect but it gives the developer an idea of what bugs are affecting how many players and how seriously.
    Here are two screenshots of an assassinate attack roll of 87 missing, and an attack roll of 65 hitting that same mob. (A grazing hit is a miss that still somehow does minimal damage. Grazing hits do not allow assassinate attempts)

    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/akHxZkKpx8/
    http://www.fileswap.com/dl/8bE2MMzKVk/

    Creating a new agro system that causes more problems than it fixes is a poor use of resources. Keeping your player base is a good use of resources.
    Last edited by nokowi; 08-16-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload