Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Once again, this game needs any and all revenue it can get.

Community Member

Default Chinese sweat shops

The only cheating is if Turbine does not get the money, and it goes to China instead, and probably more expensive. They got these kids working 18 hours a day for 2-3 weeks straight with one day off. So good for the pay to win and the Raid Timers and the Stones of xp. I would rather see Turbine get the money to support the servers. It is affordable to everyone.

So I have never TR'd. Don't play enough to justify it. I got toons at all levels to hop in any game. My P2W are buying Concentrated Mana pots that I use sparingly for $.06/each. It is how I compensate for not TRing. I also trade in Raid Timers to drum up cash when I need it. I canceled my VIP, and own most of the content, so I barely give any money to them. Let freedom rain and let me support the game with a few pennies here and there. I don't want to see it go away. My bang for the buck is getting the expansions including with it 11000 TP for $60. They get about $100+ from me with the expansions. I also have a few other accounts that I got the expansion for months later with the fire sales. It is a game with all types with different lifestyles. Let me have my fun my way.

P.S. Things are getting slow that I thought for a sec a browser malware spam of the forum text words to hyperlink ads here were possibly a gimmick for Turbine to make money. Dam you Cnet downloads! Cnet spam are easy uninstalls at least.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 08-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

These threads are silly and I tend to avoid them, but I'm bored and there's not much activity on the forums, so here's my take.

The power gap between those with multiple past lives and those without is not nearly as great as some seem to think it is. Yes, past lives add some power and flexibility, but they are certainly not required to be effective in the most difficult content. I say this from experience. I don't have a single character with more than 2 past lives and the only reason they are on their third life is because I wanted a 36 point build to be able to fulfill multiple build potentials. I regularly play in upper level EE content and am quite effective even though my characters have, at most, 2 past lives.

Past lives do not make you a great player. I've known many first lifers who are excellent players and are quite effective in upper level EE content. I've known players with multiple past lives that don't understand basic game strategy like how to minimize damage taken in combat by controlling and managing mobs, or carrying your own pots, and really aren't very effective as a result. I've known players with multiple past lives who are exceptional players, but were just as good before they acquired their past lives.

Nothing needs to be done to make obtaining past lives more accessible to everyone because the power gap created by past lives is minimal in comparison to the power gap between good players and not-as-good players. If you feel that you cannot compete with players who have multiple past lives, the reason is not because you don't have similar past lives. If you don't want to pay, cheat, or spend the time to obtain past lives but want to be effective in the most difficult content, then work to improve other aspects of your gameplay. Working to become a better player will serve you far more than any number of past lives.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 08-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Only if you fail to quote the entire context.

But yes, semi-debatable on where you live on the planet.
    How about the context of #of Pastlives?

39 Heroic
    12 iconic (iconic can be rolled in with heroics)-12
    36 Epic

75x$50= $3750

Now you can bebate TP prices they fluctuate but, yeah no.

Its not about the power gap, its about the financial gap. Those people who are using in game mechanisms for free, that they are supposed to pay to use, are costing Turbine revenue, and each person they show this to who uses it is costing revenue as well. So, not only did the regularly playing population decline 30-50% but a portion of those who are still around are a financial liability by not paying for the stuff they use, and encouraging/teaching others to do the same.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Its not about the power gap, its about the financial gap. Those people who are using in game mechanisms for free, that they are supposed to pay to use, are costing Turbine revenue, and each person they show this to who uses it is costing revenue as well. So, not only did the regularly playing population decline 30-50% but a portion of those who are still around are a financial liability by not paying for the stuff they use, and encouraging/teaching others to do the same.
    Exactly.

If Turbine feels that is worth the time and money to fix it, I am sure they will. This is their decision to make.

If they decide not to care everyone should quit acting so butt hurt and just enjoy the game and quit worrying about what everyone else is doing.
    Flabby-Flaber-Flabo--Heifer-Oinks

LEGION

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Hi,

I'm not defending people who are duping stones of experience, but this argument doesn't hold water.

You are assuming that these people would otherwise be buying Otto's boxes. That is not necessarily the case. It's possible that these people would have bought no boxes at all, which would mean no lost income.

Although I don't think it's reasonable to claim that none of them would have otherwise ever bought a box, there's no way to work out how many they would have bought, and therefore it's not reasonable to claim that every duped stone/box represents a loss in sales.

The actual loss may be quite small, and the cost of fixing the problem too high to make it worthwhile.

The other side of the duping issue, which is rarely discussed, is that Turbine itself is making money from it. All those crafting materials and rare augments currently flooding the ASAH are being bought by people using astral shards. I haven't heard of anyone being able to dupe shards, which means they are coming from the store.

Again, I am not claiming that this justifies the behaviour of the dupers, but it makes the whole issue a very grey area both for players and the company itself.

It would be very interesting to have some inside information on the effects of duping on the game's profitability. I certainly don't, but I suspect it's not as terribly bad for Turbine as some forumites like to claim.

There's even a chance it is actually overall profitable for them, and it wouldn't be the first time a company allowed unethical behaviour to occur in order to maximise its own profits.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    How about the context of #of Pastlives?

39 Heroic
    12 iconic (iconic can be rolled in with heroics)-12
    36 Epic

75x$50= $3750

Now you can bebate TP prices they fluctuate but, yeah no.
    I dont know what you want to prove here, if someone has more money than time, and really must have those past lifes before he reaches the perfect state of happiness, he is more likely to get it by spending the money before the lights are out.

To put it simple, earning the money is trivial if you compare to the duration to earn the PLs in game slowly griding thru content over and over. Even the worlds worst paid jobs would outclass farming the PLs out.

I have not done a TR recently, so i dont have exact numbers. But lets say a TR takes a week, playing from morning to evening. It would be close to 1,5 years to finish a maxed out completionist, if they dont add more classes/iconics in the meanwhile.

So, yeah it is relatively cheap to buy your PLs, unless you value your time close to dirt. In bigger cities you make that money with 8 hours of work a day, in less than 3 months, nothing extraordinary, baking up pastry or something . If you wanna compare clock to clock you are way way "ahead" by spending money.

I am not defending Pay2Win, just saying that the time you invest vs that money, the money is the better deal.

I love both my time and my money more than virtual metrics, so i dont have many PLs on any character

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12