Default I need thousand of essences ... what can i do to collecte them rapidly ?

reached the lvl 80 in each kind (Arcane/Divine/ELemental) i realized that to lvl up further i will
    need thousand and thousand of essences...

Getting loot from quests and using the loot as source for the essences (in the dismantle craft machine)
    is not enough.

To buy essences in the Auctioneer is very very expensive and surely i cannot get more than 100 essences at time

so what can i do ?

any tip or suggestion is welcome

Use Crude Vials to replace lesser essences.

You can buy them from the Free Agent Vendor cheap.

Edit: The only caveat is that they only stack to 1000, so any individual recipe that requires more than 1000 lesser essences can't be substituted for the Vials
    Keepers of Khyber - Proud Guild Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    This is how it should scale: Random loot < Named Loot < Raid Named Loot.
    The Trophy Room A great idea. Please do this devs!

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ View Post

Edit: The only caveat is that they only stack to 1000, so any individual recipe that requires more than 1000 lesser essences can't be substituted for the Vials
    +1 for that info. I am buried in lesser essences right now but that is good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

The best tips to do this in my opinion is to

A) not sweat getting to 150 immediately, make a longer term goal as you go. That way it stays fun with steady progress instead of a forced grind.

b) Do not vender trash loot. Nothing that is deconable should go to a vender. Decon EVERYTHING. You will still get plat, and essences both.

C) Do the 'starter' crafting quest every life, not only is it free xp, but you can get a crafting xp pot as the reward. Save this until you have a lot of essences, then craft as many shards as you can as fast as possible during it's effects. Decon the shards after to regain some essences.

D) Watch chests in groups. a lot of people don't bother taking them. It also doesn't hurt to say "I would like unwanted essences please as I'm working on my skills" once when you join a group, as long as you ask politely and don't demand people can be very generous in ddo.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    b) Do not vender trash loot. Nothing that is deconable should go to a vender. Decon EVERYTHING. You will still get plat, and essences both.
    I've been doing this for a while. You can build up a good pile of lesser essences this way.

Also, if you have a character with 50 House Cannith favor, you can buy (BtA) Crafting Experience Potions, Crafting Chance Tokens, and Marks of House Cannith (which can be used to craft Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship) from the House C vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Nothing that is deconable should go to a vender. Decon EVERYTHING.
    This. There are many sources of platinum, not a lot of sources of essences.

It's not going to happen overnight, don't worry about Level 150 and go at a pace you collect - but leave enough essences for when you might actually need to make something you need.

Also check out your guild situation, are there are any other crafters? I'm fortunate enough to be in a small 4-man guild where I'm the only crafter. Every week they dump ALL the essences they collect into the Guild chest for me to loot so that's been very handy. In return they make requests for specific items every so often and I craft them up. There are plenty of people who want very specific bits of gear but don't have the patience to deal with the incessant arduous grind that is Cannith Crafting. They'll think little of paying you in essences that are of little use to them anyway. No harm in checking.
    Karadon, Paladin [5] Mar - Jul 2006 - Aureon [EU]
    Karadon, Paladin [20] Feb 2010 - June 2012 - Orien
    Karadon, Paladin [20] June 2012 - July 2013 - Orien [TR1]
    Karadon, Paladin [16] July 2013 - Present - Orien [TR2]

Level 80 in each school covers you for most (if not all) of heroic. This assumes bound shards.

Also, items that are around lvl 90 or greater require those (purified) dragionshards. These are gathered almost exclusively from crunching tomes. So essence gathering is only half of your problem.

Likewise, getting Cannigh favor also allows you to get those marks of craftsmanship, which you can used to lower the ML of your crafted items. So that's another thing you can get.

I find that the best way to gather lesser essences is to hit a bunch of quests in the 12 - 18 range, especially those with 3 available chests or more. One in particular is the solo quest in IQ that has 5 chests total available. Take the loot, decon everything.

And decon everything in epic level quests. That'll get you greaters (which you can split into lesser if you want) and some lesser. But if you want to build an essence stash, lvl 15+ content is when you want to start deconing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    reached the lvl 80 in each kind (Arcane/Divine/ELemental) i realized that to lvl up further i will
    need thousand and thousand of essences...

Getting loot from quests and using the loot as source for the essences (in the dismantle craft machine)
    is not enough.

To buy essences in the Auctioneer is very very expensive and surely i cannot get more than 100 essences at time

so what can i do ?

any tip or suggestion is welcome
    Deconstruct all junk loot you get from chests, you get ingredients and plat from each deconstruction.

Save up ingredients until you fill your bags, and are overflowing before crafting
    Then use whatever pots you have on hand or obtain better ones if you so choose.

Craft whatever shards give you a good ratio of difficulty vs success that require little to no special ingredients.
    I targeted 80-90% and kept crafting same range until I got less than 25xp/craft then moved on
    Alternate between Bound alter and unbound alter crafting.
    Deconstruct all the shards you just crafted to get partial ingredients back.
    Use whatever excess essences you have to craft the +enchantment/min level shards (split stacks and put in crafting alter for system to recognize them as separate ingredients)

Troll the AH for any mid-high level items under 1k that are deconstructable.
    particularly items with a high + value like caster items.
    These should be about break even for purchase vs return deconstruction value.

before you know it you will be capped out on crafting and have no use for the crafting system anymore.. like the rest of us ... idly waiting for Turbine to expand the system they let stagnate last year sometime.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 08-15-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ View Post

+1 thank you I did not know that. . .God knows how many wrist splints this would have saved when clicking to break down the larger essences...
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Level 80 in each school covers you for most (if not all) of heroic. This assumes bound shards.
    This is true with one caveat though, flexible shards can be useful to have to get an effect on an item you can't normally put it on, and you don't have another slot for it. Which I believe start at 100.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Nice!

Very nice thread with lots of great info!

Also, I don't know if was mentioned or not, but some guilds dump all their esseneces in the ship chest for their crafters.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Also, items that are around lvl 90 or greater require those (purified) dragionshards. These are gathered almost exclusively from crunching tomes. So essence gathering is only half of your problem.
    There are actually quite a few ways to get Purified Dragonshards. I have rarely had to crunch tomes for them. Hang on to any Small, Medium or Large Eberron Dragonshards you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger1234 View Post
    There are actually quite a few ways to get Purified Dragonshards. I have rarely had to crunch tomes for them. Hang on to any Small, Medium or Large Eberron Dragonshards you find.
    I like crunching the tomes. My toons are pretty well set up to +3 anyway, so crunching tomes is not a problem. AS for PEDS is meh and I love getting XP pots for the Eberron Dragonshards. To each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Frogger1234 View Post
    I would like to say for those that don't know, 3 of the medium Eberron dragonshards can be turned in in House D for a 20% xp pot. So maybe just the small and large ones, unless the person doesn't utilize xp pots much. (And some of us don't, so much xp in the game now without the pots I still end up doing pure favor runs for no xp).

Community Member

Default X

Your crafter needs to be a human artificer.
    +10 crafting levels for greater dmark of making.
    +10 crafting levels for L20 arti

Community Member

In case no one has pointed this out: trade channels. You can get a lot of greaters cheap if you are flexible as to what type.

Basically, I'd go on and post "WTB Greater Essences, all types" and offer a price-point. The market varies from time to time so just keep an eye on the going rate. Assuming you've got a good-sized pile of plat to spend you can easily net thousands of essences. You can negotiate lower prices if you are willing to buy out someone's entire inventory in a single transaction. I found a lot of people were willing to sell for less(a bit less) just to dumb the entire load in one convenient place and get a big fat payday.

The AH is the worst place ever. I haven't shopping in a while, but back when i was crafting the AH prices were CONSISTENTLY 3 times the going rate on trade channels. I'll never understand why there was such a huge disparity, the prices were sickening compared to what I was getting even buying similar exacting quantities.

The only thing to keep in mind when trade-channeling is if you do buy lessers, do not pay more than 1/5th the price of a greater. This was a really weird thing I noticed, but a lot of otherwise fair and honest people would try to screw me on lessers. I'd be buying greaters at 100 plat each, and they'd want 30-50 each for the lessers, and not understand why this was stupid. Go figure.