Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Aha, so I *should* go Inevitable Dominion then?

I guess I'll survive without self-healing until level 5 XD
    I'd go with Light for this reason. You're going to be in the front lines like a Shintao and Wholeness of Body won't fly in battle. Unless you're going to have someone HJEALING JOO a lot, it's important to have some battle healing. You might get by with a crafted Lesser Vampirism stick with Devotion on it to outlast something, or go Half-Elf for a Cleric dilettante to use wands and scrolls if you go Dark (a personal favorite for all my Ninjas now, save my thrower).
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Yeah that lack of a low level void move really sucks.

Maybe each tree should get something, like...

Ninja: Silence of the Void - Strike an enemy's pressure point, dealing additional force-type damage and suppressing their spiritual energy and preventing them from casting magic for a brief time. (Or something like that)
    Shintao: Nirvana Strike - Strike an enemy, applying a spiritual shield to them. Whenever you or anyone strikes this enemy, everyone within a small radius around the striker gains a small amount of SP.

Or something like that.

Of course, could also just add the basic Void Fist to the bottom of the Henshin Tree, and have the powerful Void Fist still at the top as an upgrade to it.

EDIT:

Mm, yes, that is a good reason to go Light, actually.

Though I suppose at level 12 I could change to Dark. It's only a feat swap away.

I will say that I'm probably not going to need the Dark attacks, really. And the Ninjitsu that you could get from Inevitable Dominion just isn't useful if you're not going to be a dedicated Ninja Spy. On the other hand, even a single curative could be useful. And I'm probably gonna need some stuff from Shintao anyways.
    Last edited by Zachski; 08-11-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Let's give Warpriests and Eldritch Knights some loving, kay? :<

Yeah that lack of a low level void move really sucks.

Maybe each tree should get something, like...

Ninja: Silence of the Void - Strike an enemy's pressure point, dealing additional force-type damage and suppressing their spiritual energy and preventing them from casting magic for a brief time. (Or something like that)
    Shintao: Nirvana Strike - Strike an enemy, applying a spiritual shield to them. Whenever you or anyone strikes this enemy, everyone within a small radius around the striker gains a small amount of SP.

Or something like that.

Of course, could also just add the basic Void Fist to the bottom of the Henshin Tree, and have the powerful Void Fist still at the top as an upgrade to it.

EDIT:

Mm, yes, that is a good reason to go Light, actually.

Though I suppose at level 12 I could change to Dark. It's only a feat swap away.

I will say that I'm probably not going to need the Dark attacks, really. And the Ninjitsu that you could get from Inevitable Dominion just isn't useful if you're not going to be a dedicated Ninja Spy. On the other hand, even a single curative could be useful. And I'm probably gonna need some stuff from Shintao anyways.
    If you go dark, you already have finishing moves that paralyze or nauseates (cannot attack, cannot cast) in the Pain Touch and Freezing the Lifeblood finishers. I've paralyzed or muted orange-names for a full minute (they can't break the Fort save) while removing their minions, then come back and slap them with the No Mercy damage-magnifying ability.

But you'll need to train more Mystic than Ninja or Shintao, although fruits are good from both--just not the best from either.

I like the "Shintao Strike" idea as we have the Healing Curse effect that gives HP to others.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide

Honestly, when I think of Ninjitsu, I think more of Poison Exploit than any of the others.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.

If you're deadset on pure- I'd be sure to make your final epic destiny either Divine Crusader (for melee power) or Draconic Incarnation (for boom)

Both of these destinies synergize very well with the Mystic's abilities due to the large amount of fire spellpower you get from the Mystic.

Mystic will get 50 Fire SP from the cores and bypasses 12 points of resistance- which is a pretty great amount as a Fire Savant will get 60 Fire SP from their tree.

Divine Crusader scales very, very well on Fire Spellpower as does Draconic Incarnation. The downside for Draconic is it won't provide melee power after this next update (it doesn't currently)
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Gigglelock| | Zeriyn - Wolf Caster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Honestly, when I think of Ninjitsu, I think more of Poison Exploit than any of the others.
    Poison Soul is the bomb. You're adding Ninja Poison on critical hits with Sting using piercing/slashing weapons (although any stars are bugged except Cannith Crafted ones). But Poison Soul adds nasty dots of 6 or so stacks. By the time an enemy has 20 stacks, they're bleeding poison at 100+ damage per two seconds.

But yeah, if you time it right, moving to Poison Exploit and ripping all that poison out is a great "Finish him!" move.

Don't wave off Wave of Despair, either. Neg-levels to a mob for as long as you make the finisher? Sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    If you're deadset on pure- I'd be sure to make your final epic destiny either Divine Crusader (for melee power) or Draconic Incarnation (for boom)

Both of these destinies synergize very well with the Mystic's abilities due to the large amount of fire spellpower you get from the Mystic.

Mystic will get 50 Fire SP from the cores and bypasses 12 points of resistance- which is a pretty great amount as a Fire Savant will get 60 Fire SP from their tree.

Divine Crusader scales very, very well on Fire Spellpower as does Draconic Incarnation. The downside for Draconic is it won't provide melee power after this next update (it doesn't currently)
    Agreed, especially on Draconic Incarnation. A post poster learned how to weaponize that as a Mystic very well, and really helps spell power.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Poison Soul is the bomb. You're adding Ninja Poison on critical hits with Sting using piercing/slashing weapons (although any stars are bugged except Cannith Crafted ones). But Poison Soul adds nasty dots of 6 or so stacks. By the time an enemy has 20 stacks, they're bleeding poison at 100+ damage per two seconds.

But yeah, if you time it right, moving to Poison Exploit and ripping all that poison out is a great "Finish him!" move.

Don't wave off Wave of Despair, either. Neg-levels to a mob for as long as you make the finisher? Sure!
    True, but sting doesn't apply to quarterstaves, I believe.

Ninja Poison is great... for a Ninja Spy. And so is Poison Exploit, once you detonate it.

For a Henshin Mystic? Eh XD

And Draconic definitely sounds like where I'd go with this one.

Community Member

I started playing around with a henshin staff build idea a little while back, this was a screenshot I took while doing some testing. I'm not pure class but it might give you some of the idea of the damage potential. Twisted in Energy Burst Fire and run in Divine Crusader. This was at about 320 fire spellpower or so:

Something I failed to mention earlier is the power of the light finisher vs the dark finisher. There is absolutely no reason to go dark unless you wanted Touch of Death or wanted the anti-dark T5 in Henshin- do note that at endgame as a pure monk with some modest spellpower, your light finisher can ding for upwards of 150-250, which will be more than the anti-dark move.

The anti-light move is much better for mob clear anyway, as long as you're immune to negative levels or for some reason have Bring Out The Leeches active at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Humperdink View Post
    I started playing around with a henshin staff build idea a little while back, this was a screenshot I took while doing some testing. I'm not pure class but it might give you some of the idea of the damage potential. Twisted in Energy Burst Fire and run in Divine Crusader. This was at about 320 fire spellpower or so:

Epic screenshot.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Gigglelock| | Zeriyn - Wolf Caster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

That is most encouraging good sir

While I am working on my Henshin, however, I am wondering something... well, it's actually a bit too off topic for this topic. Hold on, new topic incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Humperdink View Post

Great numbers, there. Gratz.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Great numbers, there. Gratz.
    Thanks all. Apparently this screenshot garnered some attention recently and some people were asking about it. Zachski, if I'm derailing your thread just let me know. My original intent wasn't to muddy the waters with multi-class discussions.

Different build ideas is one of the things that keeps me entertained in this game after this long. As an old PnP'er (and cause it's fun to have names for build projects) I decided to call it-

The Flamesworn: A Divine Eldritch Fireknight.

They are a faction of holy warrior priests that serve the Lord of Blades. They spread his message through Divine Fire and Lightning. Alright, enough fluffy cr@p. I got tired of the charge mechanic and bugs in Legendary Dreadnaught. I liked stepping into a dungeon and being ready to go and it was also a challenge to not be a blitzing melee in EE. This is a henshin monk quarterstaff build with a few sorcerer levels in Divine Crusader. Not much new as the basic building blocks are- tin can swinging a big stick, gathering mobs and using Energy Burst, chain cleaves, Divine Might, monk goodies. Earth stance most of the time, Air stance when going for max single target DPS. Crit multiplier for cleaves, and double strike and Fists of Iron for 1 on 1. Fire spell power is usually between about 315-375 depending on potions and boosts. DC50-52 on burst. Charisma as main focus stat. Twists: Energy Burst, Dance of Flowers, Primal Scream

The original screenshot was testing with a 15monk/3sorc/2pal class split. I've been trying different combos on Lamaland and I think 12/6sorc/2pal is what I'll try out come U23. Character sheet includes primal scream and Tensor's from scroll as I pasted that in from another picture.

*Below screenshot is only applicable after U23 goes live*

Last edited by Humperdink; 09-24-2014 at 06:44 AM.

Use this thread for whatever you want, I don't care XD

I kinda stalled on my Henshin Mystic at level 3. I don't know what I was expecting with the Ki Bolt damage at that level XD I should probably pick him back up soon.

You know, I'd kinda like to see some HM videos Maybe that would help me get reinvigorated.

Community Member

You know, I'd kinda like to see some HM videos Maybe that would help me get reinvigorated.
    A short clip from EE Detour:

Yep, that did it. Thanks for the help

So I finally got my first point of ki generation.

Holy ****, I'm surprised at how much that makes a difference.

Community Member

It's only through the ongoing contribution of the community of builders (here on this site and the greater Internet at large) that I continue to learn and have fun. Even from people who have posted to this very thread.

Yeah ki generation is nice. It powers Shadow Veil and Leap of Faith for me, both are critical in fast difficult game play. If you weren't aware, items with +1 Ki generation are very nice to have as well such as the Alchemical Necklace from House C.

This build is proving to be great fun in the new stuff. Gather undead, Burst + Strike Down from Divine Crusader. This is the key part- "Melee smite cleave: Gain a damage bonus of +3(W). On hit 500 fire damage. On hit after damage destroy undead or evil outsiders below 1000 HP." Add that right after this (Epic Hard test run):

Between the capstone and other points, you'll have crazy regeneration by 20. Don't be afraid to switch between Fire stance and others to charge up what you need in your early fights.

So I decided to play around with my capped monk (pure 20) as a Henshin for a bit. Here are some observations. No particular order.

I wasn't really specced for staff (still had my twf instead of thf feats, high WIS etc). I did have cleave/gc and a decent STR score. But I also still had a pretty high wis.

A couple things:

- I still do way more dmg with my hands. This would require switching over to a STR build with the right THF feats, but it's definitely not a casual decision to swing a staff and get about the same effect without switching the build. I was comparing Antipode/TF Tier1 with my Sireth, so I had some decent weapons in both cases. You really need to build for staff if you're gonna do it. This is even more true now that u23 is out and I'll be dropping cleave/GC for precision and more dodge.
    - The ED still matters a great deal. I was playing in a suboptimal destiny, but I do that with fists too while leveling them up. You'll still be ridiculously more powerful in full T5 LD because you're in LD. Finding an ED with synergy (like Energy sheath twist) is huge since a lot of your dmg comes from fire. It'd be really nice if there were more fire/force abilities in the ED tree you could twist in.

- The SLAs are powerful but tend to clutter up your bar but this is ok because you're loosing stunning fist.
    - The ability to use dark and light moves is awesome, but takes a lot of practice. I'd almost always played light so the void and dark finishers are something new for me.
    - Lighting the candle is probably best with a +1 ki on hit item. Even with crane, I found not generating ki as fast to be highly annoying.

Im actually debating doing a Henshin shintao unarmed build and taking the henshin capstone. It'd mean giving up No Mercy, which is a ridiculous amount of dmg if you can still stun things.

Henshin is a lot of fun, but the staff bit just still don't cut it relative to unarmed on a pure unless you really spec for it. Stunning things every 6 secs is just too good to give up.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kodwraith View Post
    So I decided to play around with my capped monk (pure 20) as a Henshin for a bit.
    I wasn't really specced for staff
    If you're a Monk20 that automatically means you're not specced for staff. It takes Rogue levels to be a staff build.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast