I've never had great luck with artificers, and I never seem to get them to high levels. They always feel cool, but too squishy. I'd like to build one, though, that won't be.
My requirements are as follows:
1) Need at least 15-16 Artificer levels, because I want to throw around Deadly Weapons when I get to high levels.
2) Needs to be pretty high in the hitpoints area, and otherwise very survivable.
3) This will be a first-life 32 point toon.
Pretty much, anything else is fair game.
Here were my ideas:
1) Maybe 16 Artificer/2 Paladin/2 Monk or 2 Fighter or 2 more Paladin. With the new changes coming down the bend with armor, I thought maybe a non-evasion toon might be easier to work with? With 4 Paladin, I could jack my saves higher, or with a fighter level, I could pull out a tower shield if things got too dicey.
2) Maybe shoot for Unyielding Sentinel destiny, for all the defensive boosts?
3) Probably go with Bladeforged, since I can start closer to my build goals, and I don't spend several hours every day in the game.
4) Then the obvious, looking for hit points items and con-boosting items.
Any other ideas for making an Artificer survivable? I mean, more DPS is always welcome too, but I just want to make sure I'm not a drain on a party by not being tough enough.