Default Survivable Melee Artificer

I've never had great luck with artificers, and I never seem to get them to high levels. They always feel cool, but too squishy. I'd like to build one, though, that won't be.

My requirements are as follows:
    1) Need at least 15-16 Artificer levels, because I want to throw around Deadly Weapons when I get to high levels.
    2) Needs to be pretty high in the hitpoints area, and otherwise very survivable.
    3) This will be a first-life 32 point toon.

Pretty much, anything else is fair game.

Here were my ideas:
    1) Maybe 16 Artificer/2 Paladin/2 Monk or 2 Fighter or 2 more Paladin. With the new changes coming down the bend with armor, I thought maybe a non-evasion toon might be easier to work with? With 4 Paladin, I could jack my saves higher, or with a fighter level, I could pull out a tower shield if things got too dicey.

2) Maybe shoot for Unyielding Sentinel destiny, for all the defensive boosts?

3) Probably go with Bladeforged, since I can start closer to my build goals, and I don't spend several hours every day in the game.

4) Then the obvious, looking for hit points items and con-boosting items.

Any other ideas for making an Artificer survivable? I mean, more DPS is always welcome too, but I just want to make sure I'm not a drain on a party by not being tough enough.
    LuKaSu's DDO Wishlist.
    Turbine, Thanks for a super-fun game!

Community Member

Warforged Arty18 / Fighter 2

Start with 20 Con and 14+Strength Adamantine Body, you'll definitely not be squishy.

Default A couple thoughts...

2Rogue/2Pal/16Arti BF 32 pt No Tomes
    Str 18+ level ups
    Int 16
    Con 15 (or 14 with 2pts into Cha)

Feats: 4Arti,7Heroic
    PA, Cleave, GCleave
    SWF,ISWF,GSWF
    Bastard Sword
    PBS
    Quicken
    Insightful Reflex
    IC Slash

2Rogue/2Ftr/16Arti WF 32 pt No Tomes
    Str 18+ level ups
    Int 16
    Con 15 (or 14 with 2pts into Cha)

Feats: 2 Ftr,4Arti,7Heroic
    PA, Cleave, GCleave
    SWF,ISWF,GSWF
    Bastard Sword
    PBS
    Quicken
    Insightful Reflex
    IC Slash
    2 Feats left for w/e Like Save bumps or Ranged Feats/Spell Metas

2Rogue/2Ftr/16 Arti Dwarf 32 pt No Tomes
    Str 14
    Con 18 +Level Ups
    Int 16
    Insightful Strikes+Throw Your Weight Around
    Similar Feats but Dwarven Axe is Free Feat so can replace Bastard Sword with Construct Essence.

I am playing the WF version listed first right now and at level 8 (2Rogue/2Ftr/4Arti) it's seems pretty survivable and beastly but a lot of builds can at lower levels.
    Last edited by Feralthyrtiaq; 08-08-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

Quote Originally Posted by LuKaSu View Post
    1) Maybe 16 Artificer/2 Paladin/2 Monk
    Its called Juggernaut
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-the-Warforged

Haek
    Haek N' Slay (©ompletionist Juggernaut / Zeus Life 61 of 61)My Toon is better than your toon.Mitis Mors - Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Lurzifer View Post
    Still a very solid build! I've been on a jugg for almost 2 years and he is still my main. I love the versatility of the build. It can do 80% of everything! Well, maybe 90%. He heh.

Best build is still Bladeforged centered staff build with Serith and manyshot with Pinion. 2pally/2 monk splash. Earth stance. Divine might enabled by Bane of Undeath twist.

Trapping, self healing, self buffing, AE cleaves, good damage output, high hp and ac/ppr. Stunning fist.

Legendary Dreadnought for the ED primary. Can use FoTW for fury shot on ranged raids like FoT.

Build/set up gear around Treads of Fallen Shadows, Nether Grasps, Bracers of Twisting Shades. 2 gs displacement clickies. You will not get hit alot with all those effects.
    Last edited by Thayion516; 08-12-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Default Melee Arty

Hey mate,

I hope by now that you have found the build that you'v e been looking for. I love the versitility of the Arty class as well, and I've ran a pure xbow arty, and while survivable and decent dps, they're not as fun as a melee arty. I've been trying to run a pure melee arty for a while and I've about gave up. I just don't think it's possible without MCing something in. Don't mean to be discouraging. I can tell a big difference between my pure arty(s) and my juggarnaut life. The only thing I've thought that may work is take the ED shadowdancer and max it for evasion.

However, just for tips.

Intel to damage is actually not a bad deal. It procs better dmg on rune arm and you don't lose the effectiveness of your spells, or spell points.

Don't use ranged rune arms for melee like Tombs. It's nice to have and needed, but up close, use the ones that shoot shorter distances, more likely to hit your targets with them instead of bouncing off the floor or wall and doing no damage.

Lightning motes, a level 4 arty spell, is a great deal and helps out with elemental damage off weapons.