Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Hell, why bother with graphics then? We could just turn DDO into a MUD and people could imagine the graphics.

Why bother with a computer at all? Just go to the park and LARP DDO instead

I'm not paying Turbine to use my imagination...im paying them to create a world to play in
    aha and others paying too, they would like more quality of life and their understanding of immersion is different.

it can be solved very, very easily - you can have your immersion option, that your mail can be recieved only in mailbox. but... let me guess, this would not be enough, right? because other(who also pay) players will be able receive mail anywhere in open areas?

let me ask again - not too egoistic?
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shade_z View Post
    Immersion for me comes with better quests, not by running to mailbox. But if it does for you, then you can still do that. Just don't make everyone do that.

We still have trainers for enhancements and we can keep the mailboxes too, but for those that don't get enough time to play and those who hate running from 1 point to another give us a better option.
    Having your mail just poof where ever is a huge subtraction from immersion

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Mailbox, no. Epic Destinies, yes. If you can change your Enhancements away from your class trainer, why not change your Destinies away from the Fatespinner? Its especially annoying if you gain a point in the middle of a quest chain and have to backtrack all the way to the Fatespinner, or not use it till after you finish the chain...
    You can if your VIP

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Hell, why bother with graphics then? We could just turn DDO into a MUD and people could imagine the graphics.
    Whoooa, we just fell off a slippery cliff.

You know what makes me believe that those Orcs and Dragons are real? The fact that I have to walk to a mailbox.

Well it looks like physical mailboxes are immersive to some and not immersive to others. I, for one, would like a bird of some sort to fly out of the sky to take and deliver mail rather than have things suddenly magically appear in my backpack. If that large bird occasionally leaves a trail of white droppings; immersion.

Hey wait - where were you people when the ASAH gave people the ability to auction on the go?

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    Whoooa, we just fell off a slippery cliff.

You know what makes me believe that those Orcs and Dragons are real? The fact that I have to walk to a mailbox.

Well it looks like physical mailboxes are immersive to some and not immersive to others. I, for one, would like a bird of some sort to fly out of the sky to take and deliver mail rather than have things suddenly magically appear in my backpack. If that large bird occasionally leaves a trail of white droppings; immersion.

Hey wait - where were you people when the ASAH gave people the ability to auction on the go?
    The mail boxes may not add much but just having mail appear like the OP wants is a total killer of any immersion the bird idea isn't bad but it should cost for each delivery maybe 20 TP and only available in public instances

Beware the Sleepeater

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    The mail boxes may not add much but just having mail appear like the OP wants is a total killer of any immersion the bird idea isn't bad but it should cost for each delivery maybe 20 TP and only available in public instances
    I wouldn't mind having it be usable in quests. If a rogue needed to pick up some thieves tools, a caster needed to grab some components or an SP potion, or a melee needed to restock on pots or heal scrolls, I don't think it would break the game if they were able to do it in quest.
    Last edited by FlaviusMaximus; 08-08-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaviusMaximus View Post
    I wouldn't mind having it be usable in quests. If a rogue needed to pick up some thieve's tools, a caster needed to grab some components or an SP potion, or a melee needed to restock on pots or heal scrolls, I don't think it would break the game if they were able to do it in quest.
    Doubt if anything of this nature would happen since it duplicates being able to open the store to buy stuff as you need it during the quest.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post

The only changes I'd make to the mailboxes are as follows:
    • Give me the Unicorn icon back when I have mail. Or at least the option between the Unicorn and the so-generic-it's nap-inducing Letter.
    • Put the chime sound effect on a slider.
    +1

Give back our immersion!
    Give us a gnomish post office!
    Give us gnomes!

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    What Uska said.

There's reasons for that, and they cannot be discussed here. ( but that's not the only reasons )
    So sad that the reason for all good ideas being declined are exploits.

/signed Why? It is user friendly and honestly it cant get worse. Proof: Khyber today:

Last edited by morkahn82; 08-08-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Better yet - make them available in quests, so I can mail myself the Oath of Droaam
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

Mailbox, no. Epic Destinies, yes. If you can change your Enhancements away from your class trainer, why not change your Destinies away from the Fatespinner? Its especially annoying if you gain a point in the middle of a quest chain and have to backtrack all the way to the Fatespinner, or not use it till after you finish the chain...
    Don't ViP's already have that perq?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lallajulia View Post
    aha and others paying too, they would like more quality of life and their understanding of immersion is different.

it can be solved very, very easily - you can have your immersion option, that your mail can be recieved only in mailbox. but... let me guess, this would not be enough, right? because other(who also pay) players will be able receive mail anywhere in open areas?

let me ask again - not too egoistic?
    There's something called "willing suspension of disbelief" that's necessary to create a convincing world of fantasy - in MMOs, in movies, in any kind of imaginative media. That's something objective, not "egoistic" as you say. Breaking immersion in ways that shatter the illusion that DDO is a functioning world with laws that it obeys - and not just a collection of data in a database interacting via algorithms - destroys the fantasy of the game. And that's something that requires all participants to be a part of, not an "opt in" system. When people start telling me "just turn on mail-anywhere and I'll send you XXX" or "I'm at the quest entrance, send it to me", that breaks my WSOD, because it completely subverts the idea that these places exist in a world of spatial distance.

If all you want DDO to be is a giant computational math problem where you increase your numbers, there's other games designed more like that.

It's not broke so don't fix it ....in case it gets broke, or breaks something else, .....or breaks everything.
    "IM-PLO-SION: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"
    (GoF)

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

Community Member

My suggestions was just to provide another option.
    For those who feel a mailbox makes the game more immerse can still run to it, for those who find doing quests/other stuff more immersive can save a few more seconds. The game should be flexible enough for every playstyle (without breaking anything).
    I can understand if you say that the time invested in this could be better utilized in fixing the bugs, but I don't know why you think that it's a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    you are right. to hell with immersion. to hell with running a few feet to grab your mail. time is money. where on the to-do list should this fall under? bugs? lag? duping? ladders? new quests? handwraps? epic Orchard? ladders? <string table error>? updating loot? ladders? ladders? ladders? how much of an inconvenience is this for you that you cant take 5 seconds to check your mail as you run by them in almost every instance in the game?
    You know, with all the other inconviences this is one adding to the pile. One fixed was 1 less to the pile. Non immersive game mechanics like HTR and derivates + ETR are the reason, why quality of life and sudden access to certain things is necessary.

And you forgot 2 important things on your rant: Key to Eveningstar cooldown and amount of loading screens. The new airships made this one worse, actually.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Having your mail just poof where ever is a huge subtraction from immersion
    "Magic"

or

"Aliens"

Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    As far as changes to the game go, I'd rank this one about third from last on the list. It's simply not a super hassle to run to the mailboxes, which are in nearly every zone in easy to get to places. I wouldn't even call this a Quality of Life fix, because it is, to me, not a huge impediment in terms of time and trouble to find the nearest mailbox and click a couple of times to fetch the mail. This goes pretty far into Not An Issue territory.

The only changes I'd make to the mailboxes are as follows:
    • Give me the Unicorn icon back when I have mail. Or at least the option between the Unicorn and the so-generic-it's nap-inducing Letter.
    • Put the chime sound effect on a slider.

But as far as being able to summon mail on the spot from anywhere in public... no thanks. Unless the ability to summon mail was given the same animations as Summon Monster - but lengthened to three times the current casting time.
    Not only that but if you use a teleport scroll or the hat, you literally teleport to a mailbox.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Harbor has 2 mailboxes.
    Marketplace has 1 mailbox.
    Hall of Heroes (Marketplace) has 1 mailbox.
    House Cannith has 1 mailbox.
    Crafting Hall (Cannith) has 1 mailbox.
    House Kundarak has 1 mailbox.
    Crafting Hall (House K) has 1 mailbox.
    House Jorasco has 1 mailbox.
    House Deneith has 1 mailbox.
    House Phiarlan has 1 mailbox.
    Gianthold has 1 mailbox.
    Reaver's Reach has 1 mailbox.
    Necropolis has 1 mailbox.
    Menechtarun has 1 mailbox.
    Eveningstar has 1 mailbox.
    Hall of Heroes (Eveningstar) has 1 mailbox.
    Three Barrel Cove has 1 mailbox.
    The Resort Spa in Ataraxia's Haven has 1 mailbox.
    The Portable Hole has 1 mailbox.

That's ~20 mailboxes right there, and magic allows you to collect your mail from any one of them. Further, they can be found on guild airships if placed. Access to mailboxes is pretty darn good, and I see no reason to change it.
    Last edited by Tscheuss; 08-09-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added location: thanks Uska :)
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by lyrecono View Post
    +1

Give back our immersion!
    Give us a gnomish post office!
    Give us gnomes!
    Yes

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shade_z View Post
    My suggestions was just to provide another option.
    For those who feel a mailbox makes the game more immerse can still run to it, for those who find doing quests/other stuff more immersive can save a few more seconds. The game should be flexible enough for every playstyle (without breaking anything).
    I can understand if you say that the time invested in this could be better utilized in fixing the bugs, but I don't know why you think that it's a bad idea.
    It's a bad idea and not needed the system we have already works fine!

Beware the Sleepeater

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast