Community Member

Default Need advice on gear for 1st life lvl 15 cleric

I am a relatively new player. Played several years ago and recently came back. I only have 1 character- a cleric that is currently Clr 13/Ftr 1/Pal 2. The cleric is focused on melee with some attention to healing, but not built for offensive casting. Because of my limited play time, I plan on using just this toon and no others. I am looking for some friendly advice on gearing said cleric. I have tried to read some of the forums, but the information is overwhelming for someone that doesn't know what some of the lingo is. To be honest, I haven't the slightest clue how to craft anything (greensteel is completely foreign to me), and don't know what quests to farm for item turn-ins for gear. Further, I don't have the sheer time needed to grind all of the key quests, nor do I have all of the adventure packs.

I am not looking for all the bells and whistles. Just stuff that will keep me alive to be able to run some of the raids post lvl 20. My current equipment keeps me alive so far but is pretty questionable- I have lots of equip that appears not to stack with each other. The only "named" items that I have are a Blade of Fury (came out of some chest) and the lowest version of the black dragonscale armor (which I got from turning in relics in Gianthold). I have 330ish HPs and 850 SPs. I do have access to Gianthold, VON, and Vale of Twilight. I am also not opposed to buying some other adventure packs if ultimately necessary. My toon is built to wield a two-handed slashing weapon.

So, does anyone have some advice on items I should equip by piece (boots, belt, helm, etc.)? Also, if it is not something you can buy off the AH, can you tell me what quest to run and the turn-ins I need? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jburg6; 08-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.

House C challenges,
    Tiered + Upgradable loot,
    Farming required, but tokens 1/day is free.

Alternatively you can buy tokens on the AH.

Harbringer of Madness module: Beholder plate + Insanity.
    The Path of Inspiration: Mindsunder: Terror is a named 2h sword with an instakill proc.

For raids: you can ask around people if they are willing to craft you DR breaker weapons: For shroud: Silver base + Holy (good dmg).

House C challenges give you a DR breaker option: Elemental Greataxe of fire, either aumenting epic variant or crafting holy/righteous on the lvl16 one.

If you are on cannith, and need help farming specific gear, i can probably help you out.
    Last edited by janave; 08-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jburg6 View Post
    I am a relatively new player. Played several years ago and recently came back. I only have 1 character- a cleric that is currently Clr 13/Ftr 1/Pal 2. The cleric is focused on melee with some attention to healing, but not built for offensive casting. Because of my limited play time, I plan on using just this toon and no others. I am looking for some friendly advice on gearing said cleric. I have tried to read some of the forums, but the information is overwhelming for someone that doesn't know what some of the lingo is. To be honest, I haven't the slightest clue how to craft anything (greensteel is completely foreign to me), and don't know what quests to farm for item turn-ins for gear. Further, I don't have the sheer time needed to grind all of the key quests, nor do I have all of the adventure packs.

I am not looking for all the bells and whistles. Just stuff that will keep me alive to be able to run some of the raids post lvl 20. My current equipment keeps me alive so far but is pretty questionable- I have lots of equip that appears not to stack with each other. The only "named" items that I have are a Blade of Fury (came out of some chest) and the lowest version of the black dragonscale armor (which I got from turning in relics in Gianthold). I have 330ish HPs and 850 SPs. I do have access to Gianthold, VON, and Vale of Twilight. I am also not opposed to buying some other adventure packs if ultimately necessary. My toon is built to wield a two-handed slashing weapon.

So, does anyone have some advice on items I should equip by piece (boots, belt, helm, etc.)? Also, if it is not something you can buy off the AH, can you tell me what quest to run and the turn-ins I need? Thanks for your help.
    As a melee-based cleric, you should focus on getting...

-Strength
    -Charisma (For Divine Might)
    -19 Wisdom (More isn't necessary, but it will give you more spell points.)
    -Constitution (For HP)
    -Spell Points
    -Hit Points
    -Positive Spell Power
    -Heal Skill
    -Attack & Damage Bonuses
    -Fortification
    -Speed
    -Misc nice bonuses, like Blurry, True Seeing, Resistance, etc.

You can tell if items stack if their descriptions list different types.
    For example: Mask of Tragedy and Epic Raven's Sight, it would stack. That is because on the Raven's Sight it has Wisdom that is typed as 'Insightful' instead of 'Enhancement'. It's the same idea for every item type.

Greensteel crafting is a huge topic that I don't have room to discuss, but in general you run the Vale quests and get ingredients (most of them from the raid "The Shroud"), and you combine them to make custom items.

From the stats I listed above, here I'll put the names of them on random-gen items

Strength
    -Ogre Power (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Gloves, Bracers)

Charisma
    -Charismatic (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Cloaks, Helmets)

Wisdom
    -Wise (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Helmets, Goggles)

Constitution
    -Health (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Belts, Boots)

Spell Points
    -Power I-X (Equipment Bonus, commonly found on Trinkets, Weapons, Armor, Cloaks, Helmets)
    -Wizardry I-X (Equipment Bonus, commonly found on Weapons, Armor, Cloaks, Helmets)
    -Magi (Equipment Bonus, commonly found on Weapons, Helmets, Cloaks)
    -Archmagi (Equipment Bonus, commonly found on Weapons, Helmets, Cloaks)

Hit Points
    -False Life (False Life Bonus, commonly found on Belts, Bracers)
    -Vitality (Vitality Bonus, commonly found on Rings, Bracers, Belts)

Positive Spell Power
    -Devotion (Equipment Bonus, commonly found on Weapons, Shields)

Attack Bonuses
    -Accuracy (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Goggles)

Damage Bonuses
    -Deadly (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Helmets, Necklaces)

Fortification
    -Fortification (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on Belts, Bracers)

Speed
    -Speed (Enhancement Bonus, commonly found on pretty much all clothing items)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Sounds like your build was based on the Radiant Titan, so I'd consult that thread for advice.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Sounds like your build was based on the Radiant Titan, so I'd consult that thread for advice.
    You are correct. I tried to loosely build off that with Action points/feats. However, a lot of the gear mentioned there I have never heard of and have no idea how to get. Most of them seemed like special drops from end-game raiding.

My general understanding is to have items with: deathblock, +30% speed, featherfalling, +6 str, +6 wis, +6 con, as much false life as possible, as much spell points as possible, as much + saves as possible.

your blade barriers are your best way to do dmg so http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sage%27s_Cuffs_(Level_15) then find someone to craft for you an impulse item

Those bracers are an end reward for doing Army of Shadow so you can do it on casual and get the item!
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

The Druid's Deep quest pack might be of interest. It has a level 15 quest arc and an epic level 23 version.

The shield Wall of Wood is a nice item for when you want to concentrate on healing (e.g. raid healing), or
    when you're using a 1-handed weapon. I swap it in to start an aura. The normal version is basically a
    guaranteed farm, since it drops with high likelyhood as a quest-arc end reward. The heavy armor Firebreak
    also drops from this chain.

Note that this quest chain is in Forgotten Realms.

Community Member

heroic wheloon end rewards: http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_19_named_items#Wheloon_2
    Beholder Plate Armor + Displacement Guard

EDIT: Read OP carefully, you probably don't own this content. Oh well. In that case, use lootgen stuff.
    Last edited by cru121; 08-07-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

My general understanding is to have items with: deathblock, +30% speed, featherfalling, +6 str, +6 wis, +6 con, as much false life as possible, as much spell points as possible, as much + saves as possible.
    Deathblock is only necessary when fighting things which can dispel magic like beholders; the rest of the time you can protect yourself with Death Ward. Likewise, Featherfall is an as-needed buff.

In addition to what you listed, you should have a Heavy Fortification item (protects against crits & sneak atks) and Devotion (+Pos Spellpower) somewhere; if you use the light spells, add in Radiance. Shamanic Fetish is a good option; or use a weapon with a red augment slot that you can slot with Devotion.

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Token of the Faithful from And the Dead Shall Rise... in Delera's Graveyard pack.

It is a nice item to be able to swap in when the quests have undead in it.

you do not need a single named item, but on other hand these are somewhat guaranteed even if need to be farmed a bit.
    you need have up >

from stat:

1. con;
    2. str;
    3. cha;
    4. wis;

from defensive things you need:

1. fortification:
    2. death block;

from hit/spell points:

1. false life;
    2. vitality;
    (i do not think you need waste gear slot on spell point item, need manage saving sp trough scrolling, wand healing)

utility gear:

1. striding 30%

spellpower:

1. positive;(as high as you can get)

that is all from important things to melee cleric.

mentioned effects can be combined on single item, not all but enough. try auction house, try join guild. try find crafter.(there are crafter guild over servers, i have heard, forgot their name, try find and contact) some items can not be crafted to the level you can find in loot. this is social game, need find guild and partners. it will help. and i can tell - there is a lot of helpful ppl. contact me if on galhanda, if need.

edit:
    many utility items with effects such a feather fall better not use so precious gear slots permanently, instead if, for example, you have feather fall and charisma cloak, pull them both on hot bar and click on ff cloak before jump, click back to cha cloak after landing and similar with other effects which are needed only occasionally.
    Last edited by Lallajulia; 08-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

Community Member

100% Fortification
    Paralyzer/metalline/everbright weapons

Get you UI figured out.

I have assigned most of the defaults around my left hand. Around the w/s/a/d keys I use the keys around them for one click actions like melee attacks (cleaves) and spells ( blade barrier, diving punishment). The defaults are assigned with cntrl in front of them.

1,2,3,4,q,e,r,t,g,b,v,c,x,z

are my attack keys and quick buff keys (for melee mostly)
    F talk
    R select self

Just some tips.

Your on the forums. +1
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 08-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

1) Get the Vale of Twilight adventure pack - this will allow you to craft greensteel. With greensteel you can add weapons and more importantly at this point either a hp item or sp item.

For HP there is one of two ways to go - a MInII double shard item Earth + Positive + MinII - nets you 45 hp + 100% fort + +5 protection (as a double shard item it will be grindy to get) OR because its not a double shard a smoke item, which will give you 45hp, perma blur and a displacement clicky.

for SP, go with Con/Ops - concordant opposition - which will boost your sp. This is a double shard ingredient and will take a some grindage to get all the pieces needed to craft it.

Weapon wise - a MinII whatever weapon you prefer is great to have as an all around DR breaker. You might find a random loot gen weapon that works well, but having one in the bank is a nice perk.

You can only wear one green steel item at a time until you cleanse one of them -you get the cleanser after your 20th shroud run.

as for crafting, there are a few sites that can help get you used to it. Practice using the planner to make things more familiar.
    http://crafting.cubicleninja.com/ Online website

or ( the one I recommend ( although its been a while since it was updated) The ddo game guide. This is a download and has lots of neat features. Very good layout and is a very clear, concise way to walk thru green steel planning & crafting
    http://www.inferussus.com/forums/dow...p?do=file&id=1

Community Member

Default Spirit of the OP

I forgot my favorite gear item.

Divine Power items

I usually have them on bracers. It raises your BAB attack to that of your lvl. You are prob lvl15 with a bab of +11. This will raise your (.75) BAB to your current lvl like a melee class, and your attack speed for extra attacks. I like the items cause it saves mana not using the spell. The only diff is a few HP. Also a STR buff, but I would try to wear a STR item in the same gear spot. Get a few of these for enough clicks to next shrine 9-15 or even more. BTW great to have you back.

That is a great build.

You can check it at that link to Radiant Titan. Especially the most recent pages. The OP is old. 28 to 32 point is fine for it. Only thing is disagree about the OP.

You can post your build using this and we can check it. To check feats and enhancements.
    http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/
    You should have Aura. It is that good along with Ameloriating Strike if you can at that lvl. Power Attack, ICslash, Maximize, Emp Heal, then Cleaves and Empower in any order along with 2hdr or TWF?

Shroud is a lot of fun.
    Vale quest are great for leveling.

You got all the packs you need and the gear I recommend is all you really need.
    For heroic I like weapons with a great critical profile like Falchions, Scimitars, kukri, Rapier. With seeker items (that are easy to get now at AH) these rock in double damage for you Power Attack. PA does +20 damage on a x2 critical for a -5 penalty to attack. A great trade off with these types of weapons. They have a normal critical range of pure 18-20. With Improved Critical it becomes a roll of pure 15-20 for double damage.

LVL13+ items start getting two great stats on them.

Accuracy items and Deadly items.
    In Heroic, <lvl20, Accuracy is more important for Divines, but try to gear for Deadly too. There are a lot of items with these together at AH. Great to have and easy to get. Gets your BAB and base damage up.

You do not need Green Steel if you want to get to lvl20 ASAP.
    GS items are good, but commendation items can be used for it and are powerful enough for lvl20+. I use Wizwar for mana pool buff and then Purple Dragon Knight. There are also Cleric versions too that are ok to fit in. The Monk Bracers are great. The first chain in Eveningstar has all the commendation mats you need. They are great to grind for xp. You can play through the ransanck on xp and treasure to get commendations, cause everyone will probably give you theirs in the end chest. I much easier grind than Greensteel, and tons of xp along the way. Many commendation gear items are great with out the set and will last you a long time. The gloves of Purple Dragon Knight is one with its Healing amp.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Com...n_reward_items

http://ddowiki.com/page/Menace_of_th...dventure_pack)
    Lost Thread is for Wizwar commendations
    Unquiet Graves is for Cleric commendations (a fast xp quest, but a long run to it.)
    Battle for Eveningstar for Purple Dragon Knight commendations
    You can get up to 6 commendations each run with a full group.
    Random Slayer for Villager Comms for Bracers
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Purple_Dragon_Gauntlets
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Bracers_of_the_Sun_Soul
    Impossible Demands is the fastest xp grind in the game. A quick run. 30 seconds for about 20k xp and 6k on ransack.

If you make it to lvl 20 and are enjoying the game get the pack. http://ddowiki.com/page/Menace_of_th...dventure_pack) at lvl20. It is cheap when you buy it with the latest expansion. So are Turbine Points when you buy it with expansion for $60 for 11000 TP.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Shadowfell_Conspiracy For Thunderforged weapons
    The Menace of the Underdark "Standard Edition" pack can be added at checkout for $17.49.
    As a casual player I take it you do not want to do the TR grind and want to play in Epic ASAP per the Op.

Now with low lvl ML22 Thunderforged Weapons Green Steel is not needed. Even my Epic Antique Great Axe might not be worth the grind for it. (I did it in 6 days playing through the ransack with buds)(37 snitches)

Do VON cause they are great for lvling especially VON3 Jungle. That Raid still has great items for all levels. Tons of xp, and house K favor.

Gianthold is great too.

You are all set on packs till lvl20. Do you have Epic expanions?

Don't forget to run Coinlord quests and House K quests for inventory and bank slots.

Iconic?

Healing tip.
    I like to click on the party member health bar and one click heal them with a hot key. The function keys are hard to work in a raid. I even reassigned myself to the R key.

__________________________________________________ ____

Spirit of the OP.............

This advice I gave is to keep you alive and effective. I totally understand the time issue and I am a casual player myself looking for the best bang for the (grind) buck in the game.
    Something else to consider is buying DDO store pots to help you along the way. On sale they are 12 cents a piece for Major Mana pots giving you about 500 sp. It is great for getting out of a bind or doing Elite and EE quests with a gimp group. I probably would not use more than 2 in very tough content. Anymore than that and the group may be the issue with the quest or you may have a drinking problem. I very rarely use them. They are a get out of jail card if I screw up and burn through mana. A 12 cent spell point pot is better than wasting your time forming a group and running a quest especially those long ones over an hour. I mean, how much is your time worth. Just don't get hooked on them. Develop your skills. I usually buy 11000 turbine points with expansion packs. The pots on sale are about 1200 TP, so each pot costs me 6 cents, lol.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 08-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

What server you on?

You don't necessarily need a bunch of named items to be a very survivable battle cleric. While in same cases, it might be helpful.

Just keep the highest Str/Con/Wis/Chr stat Items you can find. Keep the best devotion item you can find. Highest Deadly and Seeker Items you can find, and the best resistance Items you can find. I think you can fit most of that in from just random loot gen items.

As stated above, Cannith Challenges is an easy place to get some decent updated gear. GiantHold also has some relevant named items.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

I would go with something like this:

Head: Teraza's Perfect Sight
    Eyes: Deadly (whatever you can find on the ah for your level)
    Neck: Nightforge Gorget (slot spell points in the yellow)
    Back: Cloak of Invisibility (slot resistance in the green)
    Wrist: Bracers of Wind
    Hand: Maenya's Iron Fists
    Waist: Health (whatever you can find on the ah for your level)
    Feet: Boots of the Mire
    Ring: Ring of the Mire
    Ring: Katra's Razor Wit
    Trinket: Sustaining Symbiont
    Weapon: Whirlwind (slot devotion in the red)
    Body: ?

That gets you:
    str, wis, cha, con (plus +1 exceptional con)
    110% fort, resistance, ghostly, blurry, dodge
    false life, spell points
    deadly, plus an additional stacking +2 attack & damage
    striding 24%
    devotion
    true seeing, underwater action, spearblock, +7 jump & balance

Get your base stats at +6, 100% fort item, +30 greater false life, If you melee, get your acc/deadly item, your artchmagi item to swap, your devotion/healing lore item, and your elemental items whatever you specialize in. Oh and of course dodge and +6 resistance plus anything else that would jack up saves.

Theirs probably a couple other things but that's about the standard breakdown and all of its pretty common now.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.