Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

About the time when your real life starts going down hill...
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

you stop being new when you know about all the race and classes imo

Quote Originally Posted by ishunt View Post
    So, to explain my post:
    Lvl 18 pal.
    Lvl 4 wiz.
    Playing for over FOUR years.
    Still treated like a noob.
    My question is, when does one stop being new?
    I still think of the free-to-players as noobs. They started in Sept/Oct 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyFred View Post
    that be me XD and i don't mind that title~~ been here done everything XD

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    I believe you completely misinterpreted what he said. But maybe you are being snarky.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ToastyFred View Post
    2009 best xmas ever when I got gs greataxe blanket from festivult with my only character (lvl 4 rogue) and sold in AH for 15k plat. q.e.d.

My opinion is that some people take this pay to cheat and error/exploit prone game way too serious. Any incentive other than playing this game for fun was lost after motu update, where any achievement possible by playing the game was traded in for exploits and store win step-by-step over the following updates.
    Last edited by morkahn82; 08-05-2014 at 01:59 AM.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

when you enter von5 and the first thing you do is check for the ring and voice instead of piking like the 10 noobs in your party will be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Fighter is fine, though I agree it is behind Paladin. Their greatest weakness is actually saving throws.
    statements like this are why i have no confidence in the dev team.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    what is this cr^p.....new players should be helped and embraced..you work for WoW?
    Lol just for reference I agree with you and in actuality spend a fair amount of time on Korthos and in the harbour helping newbies when I TR. The comment was supposed to be a cynical dig at the elitist atmosphere on the forums not a personal viewpoint hence the smiley at the end.

....and no I dont work for the Wicked witch Of the West..... that is what u meant wasnt it....?

Never.

You are always a noob, it's just as you get better at the game you get better at hiding it. I've been playing arcane casters since I began back in '09 (as a f2p newbie), and every life I tend to find something new that I didn't know before. For example, my current life is a fire savant sorcerer, and I had no idea that the Shadows of Vol in Desecrated Temple of Vol were immune to fire (were they always!?), or that Circle of Death at some point got a buff and isn't useless anymore.

As for when people stop calling you a noob? Typically when you successfully lead stuff, and people follow you instead of you following other people, they don't tend to consider you a noob anymore (but you are. We all are.)

And that'll all go back once you start playing something else. I've never played a druid past level 6, and when I did play my druid to level 6 it was a nightmare, I had no idea what I was building, shape-shifting was confusing and weird, and although I was familiar with the content I was doing, I still struggled a little with it. It'll be the same every time you start something new (though if you're familiar with say.. Pure Fighters, playing a barbarian won't be too different).

tl;dr, we're all noobs in disguise

Quote Originally Posted by ishunt View Post
    So, to explain my post:
    Lvl 18 pal.
    Lvl 4 wiz.
    Playing for over FOUR years.
    Still treated like a noob.
    My question is, when does one stop being new?
    When you stop caring whether anyone treats you like a noob.

Someone always will. When you are confident and knowledgeable enough to dismiss him, you are no longer new.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    You're no longer new, when you no longer have doubt about wether or not you're new. There's no check list, level requirement or time minimum, and it comes a different point for different players.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific

If you're the one asking "where is this quest" or "could someone show me how to get there", you're new. If you're the one leading people to the quest, you're a vet. When new content comes out, if you wait to JOIN people doing it, you're new. If you run it on Lammania or solo it the first time on live, you're a vet.

It has nothing to do with how long you've played and everything to do with whether you can do stuff *on your own*. Newbies wait around for someone to help them. Vets pull up maps and get it done.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post
    If you're the one asking "where is this quest" or "could someone show me how to get there", you're new. If you're the one leading people to the quest, you're a vet. When new content comes out, if you wait to JOIN people doing it, you're new. If you run it on Lammania or solo it the first time on live, you're a vet.

It has nothing to do with how long you've played and everything to do with whether you can do stuff *on your own*. Newbies wait around for someone to help them. Vets pull up maps and get it done.
    This.

I don't think there's much of a difference between a 'noob' and a 'vet' beyond the mindset. If a 'vet' is doing something for the first time, they don't know any more than the 'noob' does, but they're willing to take the risk of doing it and maybe get their teeth kicked in a few times, rather than waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

Same mindset separates the people who make builds from the people who copy builds.

I just ran with a completionist who wiped out a HE LoB for us after i handed out some sp pots, so i guess never ...

Ego gets in the way, then all that power means nothing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    I just ran with a completionist who wiped out a HE LoB for us after i handed out some sp pots, so i guess never ...

True or not, completionists has nothing to do with it. It's just an achievement, it doesn't mean they are good at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post

Yup being completionist doesn't mean you know every quest ... just the one required for leveling

I ran Abbot, MA and LoB once. Oh, and Titan ... never.
    Aezechiel (Caster, 8th life) - Kakophonyc (Bard, 2nd life) - Larsenkarden (Cleric, 3rd life) - Lewela (Bard, 6th life) - Punkcanard (dual deathnip centered halfling tempest 3rd life) - Usuldur (Melee, completionist) - Sylentbob (ranger) ... and a couple of mules

“It seemed to me,' said Wonko the Sane, 'that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane.”
    Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBlonde View Post

So ... I joined a year ago, got to level 5 soloing everything. Does that mean I started as a Vet? Now I run with a few static groups and I usually get dragged to quests (especially the stuff I haven't done before). I have now achieved new status and it only took a year.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

2014 DDO Players Council

I'm not sure when YOU might stop being new.

But for me: my first life, I was definitely new. Eventually, I managed to get 20 completions of various raids, get a bit of gear, and acquire enough Epic Tokens to True Reincarnate. My second life, I ran every single quest in the game, most of them at least 3 times (Normal/Hard/Elite; this was before Bravery existed, and before TRs could open harder difficulties). By the time I finished my second time around, I wasn't new anymore.

Not saying you have to do exactly that, but that was the process that led me to actually knowing the game, my character, etc., fairly well.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Nédime View Post
    I ran Abbot, MA and LoB once. Oh, and Titan ... never.
    You're missing out. Titan's a lot of fun, and so is Abbot.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

I think it's when you join a group and immediately start clearing the quest rather than waiting outside the door for others to arrive.

Or maybe it's when you stop joining groups altogether because you solo-bolo everything.

Or maybe it's when you start making "all welcome" LFMs because you not only can solo, but can also support the scaling that comes from dead weight in the party.

Or maybe it's when you have done all three, have become bored with the game, and have moved on.

Many options to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by moomooprincess View Post
    Do you warn others about the trap and tell them how to avoid or show the rogue/atri where the trap box is while playing your cleric?
    This is one of my personal pet peeves, as I enjoy running both rogues and artificers (my main char is currently on his 14th life and he has had full trap skills on every single life).

Disclaimer: If the trapper is having obvious difficulties finding/disabling traps, any help is welcome.

However, I regularly run into people who seem to feel the urge to point out every single trap to the party's trapper even though the trapper is doing just fine, or worse, saying that they can help point out the traps before the quest has even started, as if they believe that every trapper must be truly incompetent.

I always wonder, are the people who do that just condescending d-bags, or do they try to hide their incompetence at playing their own class by pointing out the traps that any halfway competent trapper can easily find without their help?

You only cease to be a newb when you cease to be a noob.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast