Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default New to the game- Monk

    Hello, i just started the game 3 days ago and i am really liking it, thats why i paid for VIP and the Veteran Status II

    I started at lvl 7 and i've been following the unarmed monk build found here https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-for-Beginners

    So far its good, i die from time to time trying to solo quests(even with hireling) mostly on final rooms.
    I want to know if im playing my monk right and any advice on gear i should get.

    Here are my stats with ship buffs:

    http://i58.tinypic.com/2j2cl1h.jpg

    My enhancements:

    http://i58.tinypic.com/2qaoff7.jpg

    And my current gear:

    http://i57.tinypic.com/1536tty.jpg


    I fight with fire stance (sometimes air) for more ki and use Great cleave, Cleave, Fist of light and Fist of iron, Stunning fist sometimes (fights dont last long so i dont find many opportunities for it) and the light finishing move for healing.
    Always with Power attack and Shadow veil for incorporeal.

    Anything i could improve on? play and gearwise please, i'd like to learn as much as possible
    Btw i play on Khyber, thanks

  2. #2
    Community Member Saekee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Twilight
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    hi welcome to the game! I encourage you to join groups ('PUGS'); it is part of the fun

    That is a good guide. I also recommend Spencerian's Book of Synclectica; am on an iphone so I can't find the link but you might google it. It is fun and informative.

    When I am on a computer next I will take a look at your pics etc although some others might beat me to it!
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!



  3. #3
    Community Member Toro12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Philly Burbs
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Thanks for the VIP sub and store purchase to support the game.

    Now do yourself a favor and roll a new level 1 monk and start in the grotto and play from there.
    You will learn a lot about how to effectively use your ki when you don't have any.

    Also do yourself a favor and do NOT run with a hireling. They are a crutch you don't need on a monk and in fact , do not want. When you are with a group and things go sideways odds are good you will be the last one standing and have to pull everyone's bacon off the fire.
    If you learned to run without a hire you will be fine without. If your used to hjeals flowing in from a hire you'll be as dead as everyone else.

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    hi welcome to the game! I encourage you to join groups ('PUGS'); it is part of the fun

    That is a good guide. I also recommend Spencerian's Book of Synclectica; am on an iphone so I can't find the link but you might google it. It is fun and informative.

    When I am on a computer next I will take a look at your pics etc although some others might beat me to it!
    Hey, thanks for the info, i will read all of it
    Here's the link in case anyone else needs it: https://sites.google.com/site/bookofsyn/

    Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    Thanks for the VIP sub and store purchase to support the game.

    Now do yourself a favor and roll a new level 1 monk and start in the grotto and play from there.
    You will learn a lot about how to effectively use your ki when you don't have any.

    Also do yourself a favor and do NOT run with a hireling. They are a crutch you don't need on a monk and in fact , do not want. When you are with a group and things go sideways odds are good you will be the last one standing and have to pull everyone's bacon off the fire.
    If you learned to run without a hire you will be fine without. If your used to hjeals flowing in from a hire you'll be as dead as everyone else.
    Hello, thanks for the suggestions
    I played monk from lvl 1-4 almost 5 before creating a lvl 7, but im still not sure what i need to learn, maybe you could tell me please?

    Since im on Fire stance most of the time, i get ki quickly and use it for Light fist when im starting to get hurt, then finishing move for more healing while trying to have shadow veil on all the time.

  5. #5
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Glad to know my guide is helping.

    I've not mentioned Wholeness of Body in my guide, and I really should, it's a feat granted to you at monk level 7. This will use up Ki and let you sit down to regenerate your wisdom modifier * 1/2 monk level * healing amp hit points every 2 seconds for 30 seconds.

    It won't help you at all in combat, but it's a very nifty way to get your hit points back after a fight, or before entering a final room. Look for it in your feat list, and drag it to a hotbar to activate after a battle is over.

    Ship buffs have changed since I wrote that guide, it's a lot harder to get elemental resistance now than it was at the time of writing.
    Some things I would recommend:
    Get 75 favor in House P, one of the rewards is to have resist energy (20points) cast on you for 30minutes.
    3ap in henshin mystic is now more rewarding than it was previously, get one rank in:

    • Way of the Clever Monkey: Like a monkey, no trap in the world can catch you. You gain +1 to your haggle skill and all saves against traps, as well as energy resistance 2. At monk levels 3, 9, and 15, the skill and save bonuses increase by 1 and energy resistance increases by 2.


    Lastly your fortification is rather low, Critical hits are most likely your cause of death in boss rooms.

    Browse the Auction house for atleast a moderate fortification (75%) item, and equip what ever one you can find (provided it doesn't un center you) Fortification from here out is one of the most important defensive properties in the game. Most vets try to get to atleast 100% as soon as they're able.

    other things to bear in mind, wind - light - wind - finisher will cast a 1minute blur on you and your nearby allies for an extra 20% miss chance.

    Edit. Glad to see you've already got a set of unlocked Jidz-Tet ka Bracers. The extra 25% healing amp they provide in fire stance is a huge bonus that can be relevant even as a swap item at level 28, additionally the 10jump buff in wind stance is quite nifty when you're starting out as a new player.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 08-01-2014 at 12:03 AM.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Glad to know my guide is helping.

    I've not mentioned Wholeness of Body in my guide, and I really should, it's a feat granted to you at monk level 7. This will use up Ki and let you sit down to regenerate your wisdom modifier * 1/2 monk level * healing amp hit points every 2 seconds for 30 seconds.

    It won't help you at all in combat, but it's a very nifty way to get your hit points back after a fight, or before entering a final room. Look for it in your feat list, and drag it to a hotbar to activate after a battle is over.

    Ship buffs have changed since I wrote that guide, it's a lot harder to get elemental resistance now than it was at the time of writing.
    Some things I would recommend:
    Get 75 favor in House P, one of the rewards is to have resist energy (20points) cast on you for 30minutes.
    3ap in henshin mystic is now more rewarding than it was previously, get one rank in:

    • Way of the Clever Monkey: Like a monkey, no trap in the world can catch you. You gain +1 to your haggle skill and all saves against traps, as well as energy resistance 2. At monk levels 3, 9, and 15, the skill and save bonuses increase by 1 and energy resistance increases by 2.


    Lastly your fortification is rather low, Critical hits are most likely your cause of death in boss rooms.

    Browse the Auction house for atleast a moderate fortification (75%) item, and equip what ever one you can find (provided it doesn't un center you) Fortification from here out is one of the most important defensive properties in the game. Most vets try to get to atleast 100% as soon as they're able.
    Hey fTdOmen, thanks for the help and all the guides you wrote, i have read them all

    I do use Wholeness of Body when i can, its nice healing.
    I will get the way of the clever monkey and search for some fortification items, thanks

    I already have those bracers, they're quite good
    Last edited by Vaur; 07-31-2014 at 10:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Welcome to the game.

    I'm not an expert in monk as most of my knowledge also came from the book of synclectica (thank you btw for the amazing guide to all things monk). But I would like to offer some suggestions about your gear. Unless your trying to get UMD, you won't really need charisma until you unlock the lvl 20 earth-wind-fire finisher. A wisdom item would suit you better as it helps your AC as a monk and raises the DC of your stunning fist.
    Edit: just looked again, a constitution item would do you well. I would replace the disease item and buy potions of disease removal instead, as well as poison removal (pesky magical poisons).

    Stunning fist will become your starting move as you gain levels and you find the monsters are not dropping as quick. Other then that, I think your gear is good (maybe a little low) and the only thing I suggest is just try to get higher stats to replace the ones you have.

    Also, when I started my monk, I put up LFM asking for guidance and/or help finding gear. I met some really nice people willing to farm items with me, which allowed me to survive better when solo.

    On the topic of hirelings. I would recommend not using them until you get a better handle on your personal play style. After I became comfortable playing a monk. I would hire a cleric that could raise dead and park them at the entrance set on 'do nothing, stand still'. Just in case I died and needed a raise. If you die the trick is to move away from the mob/s that killed you then call them and raise as soon as they get there. The hire will probably die, but so did you and the XP bonus is gone. Also, don't click accept on the raise right away, you will have (a min?) before it disappears. So run to a safe place then accept.
    As long as you have the dialog box, it doesn't matter if the hire dies before you accept. Hires tend to make the battle field crazy and you're going to shine best when you control the field.

    Again, welcome to the game. Hope you have fun and happy hunting.
    Last edited by notsinceyesterday; 08-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notsinceyesterday View Post
    Welcome to the game.

    I'm not an expert in monk as most of my knowledge also came from the book of synclectica (thank you btw for the amazing guide to all things monk). But I would like to offer some suggestions about your gear. Unless your trying to get UMD, you won't really need charisma until you unlock the lvl 20 earth-wind-fire finisher. A wisdom item would suit you better as it helps your AC as a monk and raises the DC of your stunning fist.
    Edit: just looked again, a constitution item would do you well. I would replace the disease item and buy potions of disease removal instead, as well as poison removal (pesky magical poisons).

    Stunning fist will become your starting move as you gain levels and you find the monsters are not dropping as quick. Other then that, I think your gear is good (maybe a little low) and the only thing I suggest is just try to get higher stats to replace the ones you have.

    Also, when I started my monk, I put up LFM asking for guidance and/or help finding gear. I met some really nice people willing to farm items with me, which allowed me to survive better when solo.

    On the topic of hirelings. I would recommend not using them until you get a better handle on your personal play style. After I became comfortable playing a monk. I would hire a cleric that could raise dead and park them at the entrance set on 'do nothing, stand still'. Just in case I died and needed a raise. If you die the trick is to move away from the mob/s that killed you then call them and raise as soon as they get there. The hire will probably die, but so did you and the XP bonus is gone. Also, don't click accept on the raise right away, you will have (a min?) before it disappears. So run to a safe place then accept.
    As long as you have the dialog box, it doesn't matter if the hire dies before you accept. Hires tend to make the battle field crazy and you're going to shine best when you control the field.

    Again, welcome to the game. Hope you have fun and happy hunting.
    Thanks for the advice!, i bought these items, searching for a con ring now

  9. #9
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaur View Post
    Thanks for the advice!, i bought these items, searching for a con ring now
    I wouldn't focus too much effort into spending money on concentration items, by all means keep spending your skill points on it, but I don't think it's worth the investment of an item slot.

    It might be worth considering that right now alot of your stats are comparible to what you gain from drinking potions (potions are +4), if you're spending 1000's of plat on items that you will soon outlevel potions may be a better option whilst you try loot your own gear.

    Ardor potions will boost your positive spell power, which will boost your light-light-light finisher, easiest place I can think of to find them is Object Desire in House P

    Try to:
    Keep an eye out for a chronoscope loot run group, even if it's being run with epic level characters, you can pick up enough items from there to tide you through for quite a while (I like the combo of boots/gloves/cloak).
    Be sure to run the tangleroot gorge quest chain, and hope you get the Visor of the flesh render guards

    Your handwraps imo are a little bit lacklustre. I'd suggest browsing the AH and looking for a set of wraps with 2 damage mods.
    Bearing in mind, that I've not played since before 3 Barrel Cove was upgraded, so the location may have changed. But when you first entered there used to be a Rare named Minotaur called Scorchtusk just down and to the left by some boxes, he drops Scorching Wraps. They're worth getting for 2 reasons, first they'll allow you to bypass piercing damage reduction, secondly if the location is the same it shouldn't take long to acquire yourself.

    edit. I also can't help but think that maybe you should try asking someone to craft for you, It's an irrelevant system for a lot of high level players now, but amazingly useful for people level 10 or less, you may get lucky and end up finding someone who feels charitable.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Another aspect to self healing with fists of light is positive spell power. Ftdomen mentioned ardor pots, which can help. In addition, a devotion item is nice. http://ddowiki.com/page/Devotion lists several named devotion items. Of note for your level are the wraps named Devotion and the Helm of the Flame. You can also craft devotion items (or ask someone to craft for you). You might also want to level up the heal skill, as that also adds to your positive spell power (though as a pure monk you only get half ranks and can't get more than 11 full ranks).

  11. #11
    Community Member Saekee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Twilight
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    You are probably already a few levels higher since it is a firt life and ViP
    All good advice here--as you get to higher levels things will get tougher.
    Generally, a monk stuns his or her foes with stunning fist (your Wisdom will dictate its success) then benefits from the 50% damage bonus from the foe's helpless state.
    For this reason, you will want handwraps with as high a stunning bonus as possible. When you get to the Lordsmarch quests (level 14ish), you can farm out vampiric stonedust wraps.

    Also tactical gear will improve your chances. If you feel like trying out the Cannith challenges (there is a learning curve there...) you can get Spare Hand belt, Ring of Stalker, and the bracers for permanent blur. Most importantly is the frozen tunic for enhanced ki and freezing ice.

    Don't forget swap out wraps for undead, constructs, elementals etc--anything that resists Stunning Fist
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!



  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Thanks again everyone for the help

    Got the scorching wraps now and im starting to use pots ( i never used ANY kind of pot before )

    The problem, is hard finding people at my level to party with, most of the players are high level already or low level that have done the quests so many times that they just run through it and dont say a word.
    I will try asking for someone to craft me some stuff, hope i get lucky

  13. #13
    Community Member Saekee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Twilight
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaur View Post
    Thanks again everyone for the help

    Got the scorching wraps now and im starting to use pots ( i never used ANY kind of pot before )

    The problem, is hard finding people at my level to party with, most of the players are high level already or low level that have done the quests so many times that they just run through it and dont say a word.
    I will try asking for someone to craft me some stuff, hope i get lucky
    Contact someone in the Smithy Alliance (on forums here; srry on iphone again so hard to find links.)
    Congrats on those wraps--they are rare
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!



  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaur View Post
    Thanks again everyone for the help

    Got the scorching wraps now and im starting to use pots ( i never used ANY kind of pot before )

    The problem, is hard finding people at my level to party with, most of the players are high level already or low level that have done the quests so many times that they just run through it and dont say a word.
    I will try asking for someone to craft me some stuff, hope i get lucky
    The good news: You don't have to go through the Cannith crafting craziness to gain some useful handwraps, thanks to augment slots.

    You'll need some "Harry Beaters" (weapons with Silver/Good) to help fight down pit fiends and other high level demons. If you're going Shintao Monk, you'll need only the "Good" side of these on training Argent Fist (unarmed Silver strikes). You can earn the Devotion Handwraps (which are Holy with a red slot) or Eternal Rest (Ghost-touched Silver with a red slot) and put the needed gems to make them easy-peasy beaters.

    If possible, farm for the Weeping Handwraps in "The Captives". They are great L2 wraps with sonic damage that will get you by against constructs and crystals.

    While the Visor of the Flesh Render Guards are very important for the best death-spell protection, Death Ward (farm for as many as you have patience), Deathblock covers some of the instant-death effects and is easy to find on outfits and a few items.

    Sounds like you've found more than enough resources to get started. Good luck and good hunting.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Welcome to the wonderful world of monks, one of my favorite classes.
    some wraps to look into:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Fernian_Wraps from threnal chain
    as mentioned before, grab stonedust handwraps as early as you can(though they're a pain to farm)
    Terraza's perfect sight from the same chain is pretty vital as well. It's one of the only items with true seeing, and ~13 is around the time when mobs cast displacement. I know the loremasters in Giant Hold cast blur/displacement, as well as healing themselves.

    If you're willing to try challenges, try to farm a frozen tunic, the freezing ice proc is great.
    Oh, and 2 other pieces of gear:

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Quicksilver_Cassok -decent armor, blue slot, 10% melee haste(doesn't stack with windstance, but you're in fire stance)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Snowstar - Probably the best shuriken in the game before 16 and spelltouched

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload