Default Red or white indicator lines

New rogue player; sometimes running around a dungeon I see red or white signal lines similar to when I search and locate traps and secret doors, but at the time I'm not searching but just running down a hallway. and they always seem to point through a wall or something. I can't figure out what any of them are trying to tell me.

What do these mean? Is it signal that something hidden is there? So far I've never figured out how to get to whatever it's pointing to. Even going on the ddo wiki and looking at the map with spoilers, I still can't figure it out.

Maybe I've got the wrong idea?

I've noticed this behavior as well and not just on rogues. I think that once a device or trap is located it's relative proximity will, at times, cause the discovery lines to appear repeatedly. I've had it happen on physically adjacent positions which are seemingly unconnected in any way; through floors, walls, ceilings, etc. I think is a trick of the game geometry.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Red lines are for traps that haven't been disabled, and white is the direction of the control box.
    Materials Hunter, A Dwarf Tempest (it's fun), Argonnessen.
    Past lives: Artificer x 3. Barbarian x 1. Druid x 3. Ranger x 2. Rogue x 3. Shadar-Kai x 3. Colours of the Queen x 3. Dounbleshot x 2. Fast Healing x 1. Skill Mastery x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Relem View Post
    Red lines are for traps that haven't been disabled, and white is the direction of the control box.
    You can get this sometimes in quests where the trap is actually around the corner and down the hall a little--you'll identify it but maybe you haven't gotten close enough to see it yet. If you go away and come back, you'll get the trap indicator lines again.

Also, are you playing an elf? They have an ability that lets them auto-detect traps.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

As noted, this always points toward detected traps [and panels] (and never toward anything else).

You're either auto-detecting traps through walls, or someone detected a trap but left it undisarmed (or blew the panel).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

hmmm. I'll have to pay attention to where it is next time it happens, because I was really pretty sure I had gotten all the traps. Thoroughly explored the area and there wasn't even a room behind that wall.

A "random" display bug. These lines often points into the wall, outside map and they never ended on something useful. They can appear after at least one box has been discovered. Looks as not correctly cleaned state of this "feature".

It is not true random, this effect appears always at the same place of the quest, but without any connection to the map or quest story.

For example The Bounty Hunter at the end of cave after trapped area. Another place is near shrine in Old Archives (catacombs)

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

This is your inherent SPOT skill activating.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Sometimes its near impossible to figure out where the trap is they are pointing too. Case in point, Prove Your Worth. I never found all the traps that the lines were indicating.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others