Default Dragon Hoard Challenge Bugged

Not enough monsters. One of the stars is earned by killing 120 monsters, but there are a little less than a 100 on the map. Even with 9 minutes left on the clock (all other stars completed), enough did not spawn to make up the last 20 and earn the star.

I tried it twice to be sure and still no go.

One factor could be that I was soloing it, so at the very least it is bugged if you solo it.

Community Member

You are correct--the challenges scale stupidly. I six-starred Hoard yesterday dualboxing a second account (purely for the added spawns) with a hireling guarding the middle. The Mansion challenges are similar; you want extra PC characters in the instance to get more picture spawns to get more crest drops.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Yes it was because you were soloing it and the dungeon scaling. When in most any sort of party, you should have enough spawns to get the star. Though Hirelings won't cut it.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Morning Lord Warlock
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    You are correct--the challenges scale stupidly. I six-starred Hoard yesterday dualboxing a second account (purely for the added spawns) with a hireling guarding the middle. The Mansion challenges are similar; you want extra PC characters in the instance to get more picture spawns to get more crest drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzermeyer View Post
    Yes it was because you were soloing it and the dungeon scaling. When in most any sort of party, you should have enough spawns to get the star. Though Hirelings won't cut it.
    Thanks for the info!

As I understand it:
    Player = 1
    Hireling = .5
    Battlecat = .25

Do you know if two players and a hireling (or 2.5 using the scale above) is the minimum to scale enough monsters?

I am willing to try a hireling and battle-cat if no one else has, but if you already know that 2.5 is the minimum it might help anyone interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalone View Post
    The Mansion challenges are similar; you want extra PC characters in the instance to get more picture spawns to get more crest drops.
    Or just plain luck. I have been able to solo all the mansions, but it took many tries and was not based on skill. It boils down to the luck of crest drops.

Your point still stands and I agree with it. There might be a point where you are guaranteed enough crests to 6 star the mansion challenges, but when someone solos it, they are relying on luck.
    Last edited by Cardoor; 07-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardoor View Post
    Do you know if two players and a hireling (or 2.5 using the scale above) is the minimum to scale enough monsters?

I am willing to try a hireling and battle-cat if no one else has, but if you already know that 2.5 is the minimum it might help anyone interested.
    I have never run tests to figure out, when I am running this one for stars, I just do it with a group. Otherwise I am just soloing it for ings.

But if I am trying for monster kills with a trim party I would throw in as many hires as we can get and create a full party. I'd have both players bring a hire, and bring up one or two of the panthers or owlbears as well.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - Morning Lord Warlock
    (TR XXI - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x3, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR XII - Epic Completionist - ItR III - PDK x3)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)