Default Lit 2, Dust 2 or what's the best greensteel damage weapon these days

Hi
    I've been running a lot of epics but have rerolled my monk into a swashbuckler and he needs a greensteel rapier for lvl 12. Have lots of ingredients and shards so that's not an issue. Last time I made a GS weapon Lit 2 was the way to go for damage. Is that still the consensus?

Reading the planners the Aspect of Dust 2 procs the same rate as lit 2 but does untyped damage with no save. So the Dust sounds more versatile, but I don;'t know anyone who has one.

Is there something else for damage? (Already have triple pos+ for raise dead).

Thoughts?

thanks
    Why not invite your spouse to play?

Hmm, hadn't considered making a different trash killer than the Lit.

You are right, the proc rate for the Lit is way down from what it used to be, and the damage has been nerfed as well. With Dust II being untyped damage, it might give a run for it's money. I wouldn't mind seeing numbers though. Ofc, the Dust would be giving out evil damage instead of good, but most evil things would still take damage from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Community Member

AFAIK ligtning strike has no save. but many, if not most enemies are evil and will be immune to the unholy/pure evil portion of this weapon

Its just 2d6 less damage but a lit 2 also breaks good dr (if you care about dr)

A less dps overall combo is rad 2 with a mix of holy/fire and blinding mobs in a crit with no save, many stuff probably will resist the fire portion but you will get a glorious number of sneak attacks if you get a backstabbing item.

Dust 2 is not bad, actually is better dps than lit 2 against good aligned mobs, but how common are those? (and i hate seeing *immune* flying over a monster head when i spent so much tieme making a weapon)
    Last edited by LeonAureo; 07-27-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Xahtep

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post
    A lit 2 would be Unholy/Acid burst/acid blast--Desintegration. right?

AFAIK ligtning strike has no save. but many, if not most enemies are evil and will be immune to the unholy/pure evil portion of this weapon

Its just 2d6 less damage but a lit 2 also breaks good dr (if you care about dr)

A less dps overall combo is rad 2 with a mix of holy/fire and blinding mobs in a crit with no save, many stuff probably will resist the fire portion but you will get a glorious number of sneak attacks if you get a backstabbing item.

Dust 2 is not bad, actually is better dps than lit 2 against good aligned mobs, but how common are those? (and i hate seeing *immune* flying over a monster head when i spent so much tieme making a weapon)
    A Lit II is Holy/Shocking Burst/Chain Lightning/Shock Blast/Lightning Strike

Acid is part of what's on a Min II

First good mobs in can think of are in Running. As I noted earlier, most evil mobs can still take damage from evil.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psiandron View Post
    A Lit II is Holy/Shocking Burst/Chain Lightning/Shock Blast/Lightning Strike

Acid is part of what's on a Min II

First good mobs in can think of are in Running. As I noted earlier, most evil mobs can still take damage from evil.
    YEah, meant to say DUST 2, but borked :P

Id need to check the " veil take dmage from evil" part because i once made a +5/unholy/cold iron just for the lolz at runing with the devils, used it with the monsters outside and i was seeing *immune* with the fiendish stuff.

Now green steel wepons (even as blank) are flagged as evil, but thats a whole diferent story.
    Xahtep

most will disagree, but if its just for heroic leveling i prefer to have Min 2.
    i dont miss that 600 dmg proc really, and its good because: 1 saves me from taking improved critical feat till later on and 2 saves inventory space as its a good beater for almost everything. On some builds i like radiance 2 though. (blinds on crit)
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by serthcore View Post
    most will disagree, but if its just for heroic leveling i prefer to have Min 2.
    i dont miss that 600 dmg proc really, and its good because: 1 saves me from taking improved critical feat till later on and 2 saves inventory space as its a good beater for almost everything. On some builds i like radiance 2 though. (blinds on crit)
    In my first 12 lives i was against mineral weapons, you see they net a bit less dps than other shroud weapons, but after carryng a shipload of twinked weapons and seeing my inventory shrink after every life i second your motion dude. they are quite good, break all dr that matters and the tiny loss of dps is overwheigted by the convenience of carrying less stuff.

Id say: make 1 min II for general use (i wouldnt neglect the improved critical feat in my melee builds tho), forget other stuff and just get a lit 2 or something equivalent for the lolz/non dr/acid resistant/etc... stuff ( personaly i love my fire 2 in reavers reach and reign of madnes chain but ARGGGGG!!! i hoard tons of items )

BUT (and is a big, personal but) i wouldnt carry a minII beyond 20.
    Xahtep

Quote Originally Posted by LeonAureo View Post

BUT (and is a big, personal but) i wouldnt carry a minII beyond 20.
    Yeah, few years ago we were using GS weapons not only for leveling, we used them on epics aswell, but now they go to bank when we hit 20-23. And with new enhacements and gear heroics are far easier, i think that's even more reason to go with Min2 :P

Edit: Icrit i always take, but i can just take it later at 18, or 21
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

Community Member

Yeah, few years ago we were using GS weapons not only for leveling, we used them on epics aswell, but now they go to bank when we hit 20-23. And with new enhacements and gear heroics are far easier, i think that's even more reason to go with Min2 :P

Edit: Icrit i always take, but i can just take it later at 18, or 21
    Even then i didnt carried them into epics.
    Convenient? hell yes! but not so great at cap (i started in u9 so cap was only 20).

But your point stands true, those are great lvling weapons
    Xahtep

Yeah, few years ago we were using GS weapons not only for leveling, we used them on epics aswell, but now they go to bank when we hit 20-23. And with new enhancements and gear heroics are far easier, i think that's even more reason to go with Min2 :P

Edit: Icrit I always take, but I can just take it later at 18, or 21
    I agree min2 is good for leveling but I love those lightning strikes they are so fun esp. on a TWF
    Argo: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir

Advantages of a LIT II is that it has holy as part of its DR breaking. This is important to know because that means it is only off by Silver for high end content. If you have an artificer in party with Silver infusion it becomes an excellent devil beater.

However, the disadvantage is against lightning immune creatures such as Demons.

Advantages of the DUST II is that the untyped damage works on everything. It is a lower damage spike then the LIT II but it remains versatile across the board.

the disadvantage is that it does not have holy and is not the DR breaker or potential breaker that the LIT II is. The other disadvantage is that while acid damage effects a lot of low level mobs, the higher levels runs into more mobs that are resistant or even immune to the acid damage.

I made a DUST II Heavy repeating crossbow for my artificer and have been very happy with it. This character is now a Swashbuckler Bard/Arti/rog mix and coupling this crossbow with hands of the tomb helps make undead laden quests much easier due to basically having two possible procs that could kill them running at the same time.

So for me the decision is based on if you need the DR breaker in your arsenal or just a reliable trash killer.

But I will agree, the MIN II is by far the best overall DR breaker but does suffer a DPS loss due to not having additional Spike DPS.

Community Member Thumbed_Servant's Avatar

I think I would like a Radiance II if I were to make a GS for a swashbuckler.

It does blind on a critical hit with no save, yes, but ALSO does 4d6 light damage on a critical hit...few things are resistant to light damage. On a Swasbuckler with the En Pointe and later the Exploit Weakness enancements you will critically hit a LOT...so you will be getting that extra 4d6 light damage much more often than other characters, making a Rad. II's average damage better for a Swashbuckler than for other classes. I'd rather be getting the extra 4d6 on practically every mob I'm attacking than the ~2% strike of lightning from the Lightning II build.

The blindness on critical hits with the Rad. II is also great *crowd control*...as above you will crit. hit a lot so you will blind often: blinded creatures take a -2 penalty to Armor Class, lose their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), move and attack at half speed, and take a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks (such as resisting trip attempts); also all checks and activities that rely on vision (such as Spot checks) automatically fail and all opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded creature. Blinded creatures are also vulnerable to Sneak Attacks.*

Yes, I think I would definitely build the Radiance II for a Swashbuckler.

* = Adapted from the DDOwiki.com page on the Blinded effect: http://ddowiki.com/page/Blinded
    Last edited by Thumbed_Servant; 07-29-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Thumbed_Servant (to 3 cats ) I LOVE playing a healer (nannybot to the derisive folks)
    Leader: Order of Sunlit Rose on Argonnessen server
    Current active toons: Hildegarde 22 clr/ Pixsie 20 rog/ Muhther25 clr/ Sheolah 2-14 multi(rog/wiz)/ Heidie 2-7multi(rgr/clr)/ Grindhaus 23 ftr/ Slashira 20 ftr/ Commandur 11 clr

I think the answer is: it depends in what you want.

* Rad weapon for cc,

* Good weapon for undead,

* Min weapon - devil/demon/boss-beater,

* Lit weapon...just about everything else.

I have both Lit and Min on my fighter toon. I don't see a major difference between either. except when the Lit proc strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I think the answer is: it depends in what you want.

* Rad weapon for cc,

* Good weapon for undead,

* Min weapon - devil/demon/boss-beater,

* Lit weapon...just about everything else.

I have both Lit and Min on my fighter toon. I don't see a major difference between either. except when the Lit proc strikes.

This^

Although I think that the dust II has pretty nice appeal as a trash killer.

I've seen several mentions at various times about the DR breaking capabilities of the Lit, and I just wanted to say that that really isn't a good perception to give people. While there are some things with 'good' DR there are very few. If you want to break DR you really want a MinII. It's metalline and good and breaks most of the DRs in the game.

Here's the DR list, btw.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Each to their own, but I have had a lotta fun with vacuum 2 (trap the soul, no empty gems needed) and ooze 2 (Can we say PUDDING ARMY???).
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Each to their own, but I have had a lotta fun with vacuum 2 (trap the soul, no empty gems needed) and ooze 2 (Can we say PUDDING ARMY???).
    A Vacuum II bow with Manyshot is a lot of fun against a group of mobs. I haven't tried an Ooze II (yet, anyway).

You know, I had never really looked at Ooze twice. I threw it in the GS planner after I saw your post. That's pretty funny. I could see making a variant HP item like that one day.

As for trap the soul, what am I supposed to do with all those Khyber dragonshards if I use an items which requires no gem? o.O

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

A guildie rolls those weapons and it is always awesome to see.