Default Do you need to be an Artificer for crafting?

I've been crafting for a while on my warforged wizard, it's kind of fun to do. I heard though that if I really want to get into crafting, that I should instead be doing all of my crafting on a level 20 human artificer. I'm not all that crazy about leveling a character I have no interest in. So how badly will I be shooting myself in the foot to keep crafting?

2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinven View Post
    I've been crafting for a while on my warforged wizard, it's kind of fun to do. I heard though that if I really want to get into crafting, that I should instead be doing all of my crafting on a level 20 human artificer. I'm not all that crazy about leveling a character I have no interest in. So how badly will I be shooting myself in the foot to keep crafting?
    You can still be an able crafter in any class.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

definitely not.
    however artificers and the mark of making(human dragonmark) feat both give bonuses to the crafting skills (up to +20) but the cap remains the same, if you are still at a low level on crafting it may be worth your time to make a quick level 7 arti just as a crafting/bank toon
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Pure arty gets +10 crafting bonus at lvl 20; human w/DM of Making gains another +10 with Gtr DM. So while you don't need to be a human arty to be a crafter, you're at a significant disadvantage compared to them. Basically a human arty only needs ~75% of the crafting XP of other chars to hit crafting lvl 150.

Leveling crafting is extremely tedious and resource-intensive. Personally I got sick of it by the time I hit mid-30s (~3K XP per school) on my one & only crafter; and I was only 4% of the way to crafting XP cap!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

It doesn't really matter what toon. An arti can get a +10 bonus, but over the long term, it doesnt' really matter much. Any toon can get 150 across the board. I'm working on my third toon to get it, because why not once one is done I might as well work the others and switch around less. People have said I'm crazy, but it's something to do with all the vender trash and time while waiting for my group to figure out their inventory issues.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Default Capped crafter

I have got my human paladin to 150 crafting in his first life and though it can be tedious and resource heavy it is not as hard as others make it out to be as l help people regularly get 100+ in crafting now myself as for a TR or for so many levels it is a bonus that can help you out alot as the bound shards can be transferred using the shared bank so you only need 1 toon with decent levels and you can get good gear for any you run on that account when you need something crafted. I am on Sarlona and my main toon is Akajin so if you have any further questions or just need advice with crafting send me a mail or see if l am on as l will try and help

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Pure arty gets +10 crafting bonus at lvl 20; human w/DM of Making gains another +10 with Gtr DM. So while you don't need to be a human arty to be a crafter, you're at a significant disadvantage compared to them. Basically a human arty only needs ~75% of the crafting XP of other chars to hit crafting lvl 150.

Leveling crafting is extremely tedious and resource-intensive. Personally I got sick of it by the time I hit mid-30s (~3K XP per school) on my one & only crafter; and I was only 4% of the way to crafting XP cap!
    hears to that

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

good show