Thread: Headman's Chop

Default Headman's Chop

Why axes? and why only axes?

Seems like a bit of favoritism vs customization.

Even the tree symbol has a shield and a sword displayed.

I would change this to "great weapons":

Falchions
    Greatswords
    Greataxes
    Mauls
    Greatclubs
    and to stay on theme maybe include Bastardswords too.

Community Member the_one_dwarfforged's Avatar

to level the playing field between falchions/esos and axes.

say you do 1 damage per hit and you dont have improved crit. a falchion does (3 crits, for 2 damage each) 6 damage from crits while a greataxe does (1 crit, for 3 damage) 3 damage. sure the axe has higher base damage but for the most part its not going to make up for the fact that more, weaker crits is much much more dps over fewer, bigger crits. seeker benefits falchions more by a lot and thunder forged weapons benefit a higher crit chance by a lot. improved critical also helps falchions more. the only advantage i see going for axes is that when you start adding more and more dice multiplying that base damage die (so x[d12] where x just gets bigger and bigger) eventually that could be a big advantage over falchions when combined with headmans chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    Fighter is fine, though I agree it is behind Paladin. Their greatest weakness is actually saving throws.
    statements like this are why i have no confidence in the dev team.

Quote Originally Posted by the_one_dwarfforged View Post
    to level the playing field between falchions/esos and axes.

say you do 1 damage per hit and you dont have improved crit. a falchion does (3 crits, for 2 damage each) 6 damage from crits while a greataxe does (1 crit, for 3 damage) 3 damage. sure the axe has higher base damage but for the most part its not going to make up for the fact that more, weaker crits is much much more dps over fewer, bigger crits. seeker benefits falchions more by a lot and thunder forged weapons benefit a higher crit chance by a lot. improved critical also helps falchions more. the only advantage i see going for axes is that when you start adding more and more dice multiplying that base damage die (so x[d12] where x just gets bigger and bigger) eventually that could be a big advantage over falchions when combined with headmans chop.
    I understand your example, tho i rarely do math on my damage output, gauging by feel.
    However i do like building effective and "thematic" characters. Seems like a really beefy ability to pass on just because axes arent my thing.

Esos is a single named gear, and balancing agains it seems weirdl, id say most people would go by balancing the weapon instead of locking out the weapon prototype from character building choices.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Why axes? and why only axes?
    Mauls
    Greatclubs
    There's already pulverizer for those, which is even more potent than headman's chop, at least for the mauls.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos