Default Level 28 Swashbuckler optimum dps gear list

What is an equipment, feat and enhancements list to aim for that will provide the optimum player performance for DPS as a SWF swashbuckler.

Feats to improve on the weapon damage, critical threat range. ( multi class options please )
    Epic feats that stack or improve SWF dps.
    If listing feats that do not stack with keen weapons please note ( will not stack with keen )

If someone already has a list for optimum swashbuckler dps, please provide link.

# lvl 20-28 equipment to aim/farm for
    # lvl 1-20 enhancement lines to provide optimum swashbuckler dps
    # lvl 1-28 feats to improve damage output for SWF swashbuckler

Thank you.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Well, optimum implies a balance between dps and the build's other capabilities, which could include but are not limited to CC, tanking, survivability, dps casting, etc. There are many different ways to optimize depending on what else you want the build to do and there are already several builds with those other capabilities posted that could be considered optimal for what they do.

Max dps indicates ignoring all other factors to boost dps to its uppermost limit.

So what else do you want the build to do? Without these other build goals, we can't offer you an optimal setup. Or do you just want to know about a max dps build?
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 07-11-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    Unarmed monk guide with builds|The Arcane Warrior: wiz/fighter hybrids|White Feather Sniper: CC/dps focused deepwood stalker|The Divine Cuisinart: divine crusader tempest|The Count of Monte Cristo: swashbuckler|Hassan's Assassin: dex assassin|Dubbell O'Seven: WF artificer|Santa's Little Slayer: dragonmarked elf centered kensai

I'm not sure what you're really asking here.

Balizarde, Axe of the Unseen Blow and Skullsmasher all have 18-20 x4 basic crit range while Swashbuckling (not including the Keen on Balizarde), Forester's Brush Hook is 17-20 x4 (but requires EWP: Kama). Drow weapons and certain daggers reach 17-20 x3, which is usually a worse option.

Critical Rage from Ravager T5 grants +2 Rage Crit Range that stacks with everything.
    Keen Edge from Kensai T5 grants +1 Competence Crit Range that stacks for Rapiers and Kukris (since they only get a multiplier bonus).
    Focused Wrath from Frenzied Berzerker T5 is +2 multiplier on 19-20.

Overwhelming Critical feat is +1 multiplier on 19-20.

Divine Crusader gives +1 Feat Crit Range that stacks with everything.
    Devastating Critical and Headsman's Chop (for Axe of the Unseen Blow) from Legendary Dreadnought each gives another +1 multiplier on 19-20.

Max DPS would almost certainly include a Barb 12 base, but you'd have to give up so much survivability that it's highly doubtful if it's worth it.
    Last edited by giftie; 07-11-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by giftie View Post

Balizarde, Axe of the Unseen Blow and Skullsmasher all have 18-20 x4 basic crit range while Swashbuckling (not including the Keen on Balizarde), Forester's Brush Hook is 17-20 x4 (but requires EWP: Kama). Drow weapons and certain daggers reach 17-20 x3, which is usually a worse option.
    I took the orb in the SB enhancement tree to go along with a Balizarde. I'm only L16 now, but I plan to use the Balizarde and the Libram of Silver Majic. I did farm a Brush Hook.

I'm tempted to farm out Skullsmasher after reading this post. TYVM for sharing! I'm also looking at sickles and maybe a short sword.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Outside of the above gear choices, Celestia is pretty decent since it counts as a single handed bsword, and even without feats you can bump up its aoe melee capabilities with enhancements. Exploit weakness and perfect single weapon fighting turn it into a nukefest when you speedboost your already 45% attack speed. Tack on shield mastery feats, a buckler, and maybe an item and you have high 20's to low 30's doublestrike while in skirmisher mode as well.

I get a lot of feedback about the sunbursting that I do because of that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    Outside of the above gear choices, Celestia is pretty decent since it counts as a single handed bsword, and even without feats you can bump up its aoe melee capabilities with enhancements. Exploit weakness and perfect single weapon fighting turn it into a nukefest when you speedboost your already 45% attack speed. Tack on shield mastery feats, a buckler, and maybe an item and you have high 20's to low 30's doublestrike while in skirmisher mode as well.

I get a lot of feedback about the sunbursting that I do because of that combo.
    Do we require good alignment for that or UMD can bypass?
    Does it work with swashbuckler ?

Quote Originally Posted by giftie View Post

Critical Rage from Ravager T5 grants +2 Rage Crit Range that stacks with everything.
    Keen Edge from Kensai T5 grants +1 Competence Crit Range that stacks for Rapiers and Kukris (since they only get a multiplier bonus).
    Focused Wrath from Frenzied Berzerker T5 is +2 multiplier on 19-20.

Overwhelming Critical feat is +1 multiplier on 19-20.

Divine Crusader gives +1 Feat Crit Range that stacks with everything.
    Devastating Critical and Headsman's Chop (for Axe of the Unseen Blow) from Legendary Dreadnought each gives another +1 multiplier on 19-20.

Max DPS would almost certainly include a Barb 12 base, but you'd have to give up so much survivability that it's highly doubtful if it's worth it.
    Very good info, than you.
    Main concern was how to boost the crit range and with what weapons.

Community Member

I'll not go into detail about feats and enhancements, since that is also related to class level split and race, but instead focus on the optimal gear (ignoring weapon choice for now, they would warrant a post of their own):

A few choices you have to make:
    - Are you str based? or dex or cha? or a dwarf with con?
    - Are you shield mastery buckler wielding, or a Dashing Scroundrel?
    - Do you get your devotion on your weapon, or on your gear?
    - Do you have divine might? otherwise you might want an insightful str item
    I assumed str-based, no buckler, devotion in gear instead of weapon, and no divine might

I really like:
    - Dragon Masque (1 yellow, 1 colorless)
    - Dumathoin Bracers (1 blue)
    So I took that as a starting point.
    Also pretty good are:
    - Necklace of Mystic Eidolons (1 blue)
    - Black Dragon Armor (prefer this over shadow scale) (1 blue)
    - SOMETHING Greensteel with 10 HP / 15 HP / 100 SP / +6 cha skills and +3 stacking saves
    With bracers taken, 30% healing amp will have to go to the gloves slot. Either claw, pdk or mitts
    - Iron Mitts (1 colorless)
    and unfortunately, with bracers taken, that leaves no other place for 20% healing amp either than a lame ring
    - Any TOD ring with 20% healing amp
    With gloves taken and necklace also kinda taken (and golden guile being meh anyway), the Improved deception will have to go to the other ring, either voice of deceit or avithoul. deceit saves 4 slots compared to avithoul (1 to slot perform, 1 to slot cha, 2 slots extra). Still, avithoul worked out for me
    - ring of avithoul (7 wis)
    exceptional seeker is a luxury but you need dodge somewhere, so I'm happy with:
    - Adamantine Cloak of the Wolf
    For trinket, saving you the redslot on your weapon:
    -Shamanic Fetish (1 blue)
    I do want 120ish fort, but since it only comes on armor, (bad) helmet and (bad) bracers, it'll take a lootgen. But that's ok, we needed seeker 10 somewhere anyway. So a (boots or belt)
    - SOMETHING Fortified 125% item of Seeking X
    And to finish it off another lootgen (as goggles):
    - SOMETHING with 10 charisma 10 resistance

Slots so far:
    4 blue/green slots:
    good luck, false life, globe of imperial blood, perform15
    1 yellow: heal15
    2 colorless: con8, insightful strength +2

Alternatives are Tharne's Goggles + Ring of deceit instead of cha on goggles + avithoul (5 more perform and 3 more slots, but you can't really use them effectively)

Devotion on your weapon and then litany of the dead as trinket instead of shamanic fetish (let's say it had 15heal slotted) doesn't sound as an improvement
    +1 dmg, +1 STR versus 2d6 acid (1+0.5*2 = 2[base] vs 7[acid]... even though base does crit so it's effectively 4dmg, and not everything takes acid, this is still a dps decrease that the +1 CON and +1 DEX don't make up for)

Even though you are already wearing a TODring, a ravager belt just quite doesn't cut it. but it's close.

The cloak is swappable for for instance cloak of night (also dodge) if you prefer DR over seeker5 (in 100% fort quests or permanent if you prefer)

TODring is swappable with skirmisher's ring for quests where you don't need the defense.

CON 8+4+1
    STR 8+2+1
    DEX 11+4+1
    CHA 10+0+1
    Vitality 40
    FL 40
    GSHP 25
    fort 125
    Ghostly
    dodge 8
    resistance 10+2+0+3
    devotion 120+15
    amp 30+20
    perform 15+6
    seeker 10+5
    sneak 6+5
    fortbypass 20%
    improved deception
    SP 0 + 100
    AC 0 + 10
    PRR 30
    ElementalResist: 45 + 0
    ElementalReduction: 0%
    Deadly: 11
    Accuracy: 4
    Extra damage: 2d6 negative

Things I would love to have but couldn't fit:
    - 10% healing amp
    - doublestrike
    - +4 artifact damage (claw set)
    - Thunderstruck
    - DR 10 or 15 (in addition to seeker5)
    - Parrying +4 on saves
    More nice to haves:
    - Litany of the dead
    - Perform 20 instead of 15
    - CON 10 instead of 8
    - STR 10 instead of 8
    - 250 SP instead of 0
    - devotion 138 instead of 120
    Last edited by Rull; 07-16-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Community Member

An alternative with more damage and less survivability;

Still starting with
    But also going for:
    - Gloves of the Claw
    - Gem of many facets (1 yellow)
    Still
    - SOMETHING Greensteel with 10 HP / 15 HP / 100 SP / +6 cha skills and +3 stacking saves
    - Ravager TOD ring with 20% healing amp
    - SOMETHING Fortified 125% item of Seeking X
    But since mitts was a huge slot-saver and claw gloves are not, we can't go avithoul ring over voice of deceit:
    - voice of deceit (1 yellow, 1 colorless)
    That covers cha, so instead of a 10 charisma 10 resistance item I use the slot for another old one that's still strong:
    - TOD ravager belt

Slots so far:
    3 blue/green slots:
    good luck, false life, toughness20
    3 yellow: globe of imperial blood, heal15, str8
    2 colorless: con8, insightful strength +2

The net differnce is:

-8 sneak damage
    -Weapon's redslot (for devotion)
    -3 resist
    -20 HP
    -2 CHA

+4 base damage
    +7 slashing damage
    +5 perform

Actually this doesn't look very exciting. The sacrifice is too much.
    Last edited by Rull; 07-17-2014 at 07:10 AM.

I actually like the Mutineers Blade from 3 Barrel Cove. It gets an expanded basic crit range, but is not Keen. There for it would benefit from Improved Critical Piercing. I think is a nice weapon that flies under the radar.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rull View Post
    I'll not go into detail about feats and enhancements, since that is also related to class level split and race, but instead focus on the optimal gear (ignoring weapon choice for now, they would warrant a post of their own):

...snip
    Great writeup, or at least a very great place to start if you don't have all the gear.

Community Member

Note that:
    - Convalescent Bracers of Parrying4 + Sheltering24 ring
    is a very decent replacement for:
    - Dumathoin Bracers + 20% hamp TODring

although not quite as good

Community Member

Another try.
    It might be better to slot your devotion on your weapon after all. I realised there are random trinkets now, so with a little cascading you can wear a ravager belt instead of a litany, which is better imo:

- Goggles: Greensteel with 10 HP / 15 HP / 100 SP / +6 cha skills and +3 stacking saves
    - Iron Mitts (1 colorless)
    - Ravager TOD ring with 20% healing amp
    - ring of avithoul wis7
    - Trinket: Health 10 trinket of resist 10
    - Boots: slotted Fortified 120% item of Seeking X
    (1 colorless)
    - Belt: Ravager TOD Belt

3 blue/green slots: good luck, FL40, perform15
    1 yellow: heal15
    3 colorless: insightful strength +2, globe of imperial blood, cha8

Difference:

+2d6 bleed damage
    +2 con
    + 18 devotion (devotion 138 instead if 120)

-5% fort
    -redslot on weapon
    -2 cha

Community Member

This is great stuff, thanks!

Community Member

Ooh, what's also a fun option:

buying all 5 prismatic cloaks of resistance +10
    swapping them around to whatever 30% element absorption is needed

gotta work that in my gear