Thread: tips on soloing

Community Member

Default tips on soloing

hey just recently came back and need to level my main. currently lvl 13 wf arty.first life was rogue, and basiclly i wanna get to 20 so i can tr back into my rogue, liked it much better. the problem im having,(which is also the reason i keep taking several month breaks), is i have a hard time finding groups. so im thinking i need to try and figure what i can solo. i am currently premium.i cant remember what packs i have but i do know i hvae both xpacs,gh,necro, and vale for sure.i did solo 2 of the gh walk ups and hiding in plain sight.the xp for the time involed kinda sucked though.just assume i dont have easy access to all the good gear,gs and the such.but any advice on what to solo and how would be greatly welcomed.i love playing this game, but currently feels like without a group i cant play lol.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by revanist25 View Post
    so im thinking i need to try and figure what i can solo.
    The easy tip for soloing is to spend plat on a hireling Cleric (or FVS, or Bard) of your same level (or 1 lower). The amount of auto-healing they give will make most Normal setting quests feel very easy.

i did solo 2 of the gh walk ups and hiding in plain sight.the xp for the time involed kinda sucked though.
    Dungeons like HIPS and troll cave have a lot of twisty side passageways, so it's easy to spend a lot of unproductive time in there if you don't know the correct path to the end.

WF Artificer is one of the easier classes to solo with, in my experience. I threw everything into xbow and rune arms. Spells were only for buffs and healing. I made extensive use of my dog. I gave him evasion and maxed threat. I'd send him in first to gather agro, while I got Archer' Focus and would unload one target at a time. A fully buffed Artificer using both xbow and rune arm could unload a lot of damage.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Community Member

alternatively, full meta arcanotechnicians SLAs perform excellently at this level.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

For XP, the Gianthold quests are good and not that hard to solo (and no particular mechanics favouring groups that i recall, other than maybe the final fight in Foundation of Discord).
    Wizard King in the Desert is good XP at your level too, though it can take a while to solo. You can milk those quests for a while, then move up to the Vale of Twilight and/or Necro 4. Some of those quests are more challenging, relatively speaking, but still very do-able. The only one that you may find unsolo-able is Fleshmakers' Laboratory in Necro 4. And as an artificer, you've got the chance to get an extra 10-15% XP in quests with traps.

The idea of using a hireling as a nearly bottomless mobile heal potion can make doing quests on your own a lot easier, and let you save your mana for combat. But you'd probably want one of the arcanes with repair spells, rather than a cleric.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Tip for Solo Play:

I will just assume novice skill level.

You need to be able to heal. Hireling suggestion works, UMD for heal scroll if you can, self heal if you can etc. Does not matter how, you just need an answer for it.

You may want to go further and have a solution for rezz. Maybe you park your hireling at the entrance and call him to you when it is safe... maybe he stays back and you run away from combat TO hireling then back into combat...etc. Hirelings and certain pets can either rezz you and/or pick up your soul stone and follow your ghost to the nearest shrine. (you guide them to it)

You need a method to inflict enough burst damage or sustained DPS damage. It can be very frustrating to methodically work through a very long quest only to find out you are at a stand off with the end boss, or worse, can not fight him/her/it at all and have to give up...

Staying alive and doing enough damage to complete...really the only two things you have to cover... everything else can be skipped or learned.

Going over the quest in ddowiki.com can be extremely helpful. This is dependant upon what kind of experience you are seeking of course - some people would rather find everything themselves or least try first.

Last, if you enjoy a quest, go right back in and do it again to reinforce what you learned and do it better. Then the next day, do it on hard if you are still within level range...etc. Repeat quests you like and learn them a little, soon you will be comfortable in a great number of quests that you can solo or lead.

Final note: Once you have done the above, you could consider putting up the group yourself - this can make many quests faster, it can also, if you get lucky, bring you people whom you might enjoy playing with and/or people you can help and some who help you learn. A lot of people do the above, put the group up anyhow and say they do not really know quest, then they go ahead and get started and before you know it, it is a 3 person group before the halfway point!

Good luck!
    Jeremiiah - Isaiiah - Zephaniiah - Ghallanda - Old Timers Guild

hey just recently came back and need to level my main. currently lvl 13 wf arty.first life was rogue, and basiclly i wanna get to 20 so i can tr back into my rogue, liked it much better. the problem im having,(which is also the reason i keep taking several month breaks), is i have a hard time finding groups. so im thinking i need to try and figure what i can solo. i am currently premium.i cant remember what packs i have but i do know i hvae both xpacs,gh,necro, and vale for sure.i did solo 2 of the gh walk ups and hiding in plain sight.the xp for the time involed kinda sucked though.just assume i dont have easy access to all the good gear,gs and the such.but any advice on what to solo and how would be greatly welcomed.i love playing this game, but currently feels like without a group i cant play lol.
    would you mind posting your gear and feats?

The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!
    stealth guides: EE Old Tomb, New Tenants; EE Tide Turns; Weave in the Fade; visit Spencerian's Stealth Guide
    Squire of the Silver Legion, Cannith (Saekee); add me in-game!

Community Member

Around that level I really like the Lordmarch quests (free) and the Attack on Stormreach quests (store). I also find the Web of Chaos quests (free) useful in leveling. Also, the Wheloon quests (Xpac) have some nice gear for when you TR again. If you are getting tired of questing, run the Orchard and Vale wilderness areas.

As far as your build, if you prefer rogues, you could always do the rest of this life as a rogue mechanic, which is very synergistic with arti. It will add to your crossbow damage, add your intelligence to damage, provide evasion; if you dip into the assassin tree you can also pick up venomed blades, which works on crossbows.

As far as strategy goes, you shouldn't need a cleric hireling since you are wf but having an extra body doesn't hurt. Always utilize the dog. Its not the greatest, but if you equip him appropriately and be sure to train him every level, he can be an agro magnet while you pick off the mobs. I spec him for tripping, because I find that's what he does best and it provides useful crowd control. Find a good rune arm and learn to use it. If you have Sands, Hand of the Tombs is great for undead. I'd recommend Recoyle, but then you'd need to run Threnal which isn't a great pack. You can also usually buy a Corruption of Nature on the auction house or shard exchange.