Default Strength based door, dex based character

In the Fane of the Six: Fall of the Prelate is a door that has to be bashed down or unlocked to pull the lever to continue to the Prelate.

My dex based character can't bash it down.

Is this quest un-soloable with a dex based character?

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bat View Post
    In the Fane of the Six: Fall of the Prelate is a door that has to be bashed down or unlocked to pull the lever to continue to the Prelate.

many fire based spells can break doors. Including wands and clickies.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    many fire based spells can break doors. Including wands and clickies.
    Wow. I suppose I could try to farm the burning hands clickie from shan-to-kor, then come back... but I guess these old quests were not always made with "special needs" halflings in mind.

In addition to spells that can destroy such doors, you could also carry about a high-STR item you can wear just for these occasions. Or, bring a Fighter or Rogue hireling that can also open such doors or levers by opening or unlocking them.

STR isn't a dump stat for any character. You should have 10 through hook or crook, even if a mage, and be able to boost it to 14-16 for such occasions. With a few exceptions, STR also determines your damage for both ranged and melee fighting, and determines how much you can carry before becoming overburdened.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 07-08-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Clarified
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

If there were Ogres of Flesh Renders you could convince them to break doors for you, but I'm afraid that dungeon might not include any high-strength enemies.

The potion of bull's strength got me to 14, but that was not enough. As this is a level 8 dex based halfling thrower build, str really is a dump stat, even though it limits my carrying capacity and leaves me vulnerable to the occasional ray of enfeeblement lockdown. As it is, I am getting a guildie to come rescue me, but they have to put aside what they are doing to wack a few doors for me.

Grab a hireling?
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Yes, a melee hireling with cleave or a spellcaster with fireball would get me in, or a rogue maybe? That still qualifies as abandoning my quest and coming back with reinforcements. There's a lot of options for getting in.. I just did not have any of them available to me at the time. I could also have gotten in with 4 or more bells of opening. Ew.

I did it as a wizard with str as a dump stat. Cleric too.
    Bulls + rage pot gives you +6,alchemical from collectables for additional +2. Should be doable. on 14? Also I am assuming you are level 11 ish, if soloing it on special needs character, so you might have to invest in +6 stat item(because carrying capacity), or divine might clicky (+6 str clicky) (+2 from rage on top, should be enough?)(+8 is 16, +2 from alchemical is 18, +2 from tome is 20) Cant remember about cookies, I think that's additional +8-ish, but idk about stacking. Also tensers for +4 alchemical, but you probably wont have it (because fireball wands are easier to get).
    Otherwise clickie (abishai fireball bracelets), knock,pick lock(?) or hireling (or a party member).
    Cheap way is a hireling.

Edit: newer mind, did not notice that you were level 8.
    Last edited by Wh070aa; 07-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Yes, a melee hireling with cleave or a spellcaster with fireball would get me in, or a rogue maybe? That still qualifies as abandoning my quest and coming back with reinforcements. There's a lot of options for getting in.. I just did not have any of them available to me at the time. I could also have gotten in with 4 or more bells of opening. Ew.
    I'm sorry. what exactly is the issue with "abandoning your quest and coming back"? (Technically, you could of just opened the ddo store and gotten a hireling there as well)
    Thelanis

Sev~

Community Member

As this is a level 8 dex based halfling thrower build, str really is a dump stat, even though it limits my carrying capacity and leaves me vulnerable to the occasional ray of enfeeblement lockdown.
    I don't remember if it works on that kind of door, but did you try Breath of the Fire Dragon?

Community Member

I used the fireball clicky on the scorched bracers.
    Graceana, 28 rogue (TRing like crazy) ~ Xiya, 12 ranger/8 fighter ~ Shinshi, 28 monk ~ Ayaxi, 20 rogue (TRing) ~ Saravi, 28 cleric ~ Talvi, 20 druid
    Zinzie, 18 sorcerer/2 paladin ~ Kishori, 20 bard ~ Sanziana, 20 ranger ~ Faunia, 9 druid/9 monk/2 fighter/8 epic ~ Viven, 16 bard/4 fighter/8 epic
    Cliodna, 18 wizard/2 rogue (TRing) ~ Serenwyn, 15 bard/3 fighter/2 rogue ~ Duisteri, 12 monk/5 wizard/3 rogue/4 epic
    The Casual Obsession
    Khyber

with doors like this there are the following options:

Busting it open
    - Enhance your Strength
    -- Bulls Strength Potion (+4 Does not stack with gear)
    --Strength Item (Does not stack with Bulls Strength)
    --Rage Potion (+2 Strength Stacks with Bulls/Enchantment)

Equipment Clickies - Such as Scorched Bracers or Divine Power Clickie

UMD has additional options
    - Wand of Fireball
    - Divine Power (+6 Enchantment to Strength does not stack with bulls/Item)

Additionally many of these doors are considered to be Locked and could be Picked (Rogue/Artificer) or Knocked (Wiz/Sorc/UMD) most do not have a high DC

Other options include a hireling or pet to act as your strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    I used the fireball clicky on the scorched bracers.
    My favorite solution as well.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

you can just stand in front of the door shield blocking and an ogre or troll will bash it down while swinging at you!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Default In a Somewhat Related Problem...

I was running "Reclamation" in Atatraxia's Haven when my halfling Swashbuckler dutifully cleared out the duergar there, only to find that 16 STR was not enough to turn off the furnaces, even with a Ogre +6 ring equipped.

And Tempys the cleric, my walking Death Ward clicky, wasn't helpful in this either.

Ugh. Recall.

Bring a Fighter hireling next time, I mutter to myself. He'll actually contribute by fighting AND helping with the furnaces.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)