Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default swashbucklin' for light whepons only?

I was kinda suprised ,when I finally checked out new Bard tree.The classic heavy cutlass ,is not able to benefit from new tree! Light whepons really stink for dps,untill lvl23 .Is this new tree a joke? cant make a longsword swashbuckler; all whepons my bard saved are useles in that tree.Real slap to some Bards ,the cove has a Pirate cutlass is kinda cool lvl20-22 whepon..nope ,it dont swash either...what the?UMD allows chaotics use of PDK sword then too...it dont swash either.Real bummer ,one of my favs ...as pdk sword crits on a 13-20 w the right enhances/feats.This new tree looks good for a rapier /dex/shooter splash or smthin of the like?Also, the Base dam for light whepons is to weak from the start.
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

Community Member

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Powskier View Post
    I was kinda suprised ,when I finally checked out new Bard tree.The classic heavy cutlass ,is not able to benefit from new tree! Light whepons really stink for dps,untill lvl23 .Is this new tree a joke? cant make a longsword swashbuckler; all whepons my bard saved are useles in that tree.Real slap to some Bards ,the cove has a Pirate cutlass is kinda cool lvl20-22 whepon..nope ,it dont swash either...what the?UMD allows chaotics use of PDK sword then too...it dont swash either.Real bummer ,one of my favs ...as pdk sword crits on a 13-20 w the right enhances/feats.This new tree looks good for a rapier /dex/shooter splash or smthin of the like?Also, the Base dam for light whepons is to weak from the start.

The last thing Swashbuckler Bards are lacking is DPS. My first life SB 14 Bard/2 Rogue keeps up with multi life TRs. With other first lifers I'm normally done with 2-3 mobs on elite before they are done with their first. With the SB enhancements that increase threat range and multiplier, along with attack speed increase, hasting yourself, 10% double strike, and getting 100% of damage multiplier to single hand weapons the difference between light weapons for a Swash and non-light weapons for everyone else isn't there.

If you want high crit profile early on, get the Tiefling Assassin Blade. It is ML 4 and you will crit on 13-20 for x3.

sounds cool;i know player have been keen on the tree.Ill have to make a test toon,so I dont experiment w my legend build
    Mercyful Fate/ King Diamond link{ http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com } /''horror and moral terror are your friends'',Col. Kurtz/King Diamond Coven , lvl 79Ghallanda /43 Sarlona

My SB bard is currently lvl 15 and I'm absolutely destroying mobs with a rapier. 15-20/x3 crit profile is nothing to sneeze at. Base damage is a whole 2 points lower than a khopesh and swashbucklers get all kinds of nice on-crit effects. 100% Cha to damage, 6d6+ sonic damage, improved destruction, guardbreaking dazes, plus whatever other on-crit effects are on the weapon, 45% attack speed with haste - that is fast and very respectable damage. With a swashbuckler, its a case of the weapon, whatever it is, being in the hands of a talented user.

one word - rapier.
    if you think it is a weak dps weapon with all that constant bard criticals(which appears to me without math, just from feeling is 30% for sure), then... we have disagreement. i never had better melee dps in heroic like current bard with these light, but very, very pointy weapons.
    right now i think it is one of the best tool of all weaponry ddo gives us.(silver, holy, evil outsider bane... oh my... cuts tru them like hot needle tru butter)
    Last edited by Lallajulia; 07-06-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallajulia View Post
    one word - rapier.
    if you think it is a weak dps weapon with all that constant bard criticals(which appears to me without math, just from feeling is 30% for sure), then... we have disagreement. i never had better melee dps in heroic like current bard with these light, but very, very pointy weapons.
    right now i think it is one of the best tool of all weaponry ddo gives us.(silver, holy, evil outsider bane... oh my... cuts tru them like hot needle tru butter)
    Try a swf druid, can assure you its better melle dps ( i played on lama with both druid n bard a bit, and bard didnt even come close to druid).
    Issue is, why people dont belive me because they dont know how fast procs happen like mortal fear with constant fatall harrier n swf att speed and off strikes that also aply to every strike you do

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheartox View Post
    Try a swf druid, can assure you its better melle dps ( i played on lama with both druid n bard a bit, and bard didnt even come close to druid).
    Issue is, why people dont belive me because they dont know how fast procs happen like mortal fear with constant fatall harrier n swf att speed and off strikes that also aply to every strike you do
    oh, thank you for advice.
    could you be more specific about that build, please? what levels and feats on druidswasher you advice to take? i could try some day that for sure.
    quaerite primum regnum dei.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

At level 4 you can have a Tier 3 ML4 Swashbuckler from Cove (for guardbreaking), and a Tiefling Assassins blade which gives 13-20X3 (lots of dazes happening)

At ML 13 you can have a Heroic Normal Skullsmasher and that's when the pwnage really kicks into high gear, it's basically a heavy Pick with a 15-20 range with Swash and IC:bludgeon until you get into Epics where Pulverizer turns it into a 13-20X4 3.5[W] +7 weapon with Ribcracker.

BTW you might want to carry two level appropriate Skullsmashers with the haste and the weapon speed increase I wear them out at a faster rate than I am used to (I usually go several quests without repairing, now I have to be less lazy).
    Last edited by IronClan; 07-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    At level 4 you can have a Tier 3 ML4 Swashbuckler from Cove (for guardbreaking), and a Tiefling Assassins blade which gives 13-20X3 (lots of dazes happening)

At ML 13 you can have a Heroic Normal Skullsmasher and that's when the pwnage really kicks into high gear, it's basically a heavy Pick with a 15-20 range with Swash and IC:bludgeon until you get into Epics where Pulverizer turns it into a 13-20X4 3.5[W] +7 weapon with Ribcracker.

BTW you might want to carry two level appropriate Skullsmashers with the haste and the weapon speed increase I wear them out at a faster rate than I am used to (I usually go several quests without repairing, now I have to be less lazy)
    I found that the Devourer's Reaping from the new epic TBC is actually pretty awesome. 14% doublestrike, Greater Vorpal . . . I might have to give Skullsmasher a try though.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lallajulia View Post
    oh, thank you for advice.
    could you be more specific about that build, please? what levels and feats on druidswasher you advice to take? i could try some day that for sure.
    The build he's talking about isn't a druidswash, but a wolf druid that cheeses the ability to get both TWF and SWF working at the same time while in animal form. Of course, it first has to get around the fact that you can't take both SWF and TWF on the same toon.

Community Member

I'd like to see someone try to one-hand a longsword and fence with it There's a reason longswords are also called "hand and a half" swords...they're made for big, heavy swings, not quick controlled strikes and parries.

To be fair, there probably should be a separate weapon type now for "cutlass" or "saber" (which, like Rapiers, would be Finessable and Swashable non-light weapons) that includes swords that are currently categorized as "scimitars", but more closely resemble light curved slashing blades designed for quick close-quarter swordfighting than true scimitars, which are heavier curved slashing blades designed for cavalry. But realistically, there's plenty enough options for Swashing as it is right now without getting semantic about it

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    The build he's talking about isn't a druidswash, but a wolf druid that cheeses the ability to get both TWF and SWF working at the same time while in animal form. Of course, it first has to get around the fact that you can't take both SWF and TWF on the same toon.
    Thing is, even when they change the inability to get 2weapon with ranger splash, you will still have 40% offs trike with ranger monk druid hybrid, possibly 60% depending how the core that gives 2 weapon will synergize.

I sincerely hope they will change how the whole druid form is working since im contradicting myself with every test i do.
    Only thing i know is, i never played a more broken melle dps build since its really over the top strong.
    And i played everything, from esos swinging things, to 2 weapon tempest builds, sireth wielding and double mjorhn builds.
    I personally think im a overall better melle players then ranged/caster (tho im ok ranged caster but not superb), and im honestly overly impressed by druid melle builds. They are hard to play tho, lotsa multitasking.
    But dps is best described as permanent manyshoting melle
    Last edited by Blackheartox; 07-06-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I'm currently Level 21, I'm using the same Shocking Burst Dagger of Heartseeking I bought in the Auction House when I was Level 12.
    Funny but it's because I couldn't find anything better, this dagger is destroying everything LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayus View Post
    I'm currently Level 21, I'm using the same Shocking Burst Dagger of Heartseeking I bought in the Auction House when I was Level 12.
    Funny but it's because I couldn't find anything better, this dagger is destroying everything LoL.
    Try star of the day from cleric turn in in eveningstar, can get some nice effects permutations if you get lucky /blind etc

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I'd like to see someone try to one-hand a longsword and fence with it There's a reason longswords are also called "hand and a half" swords...they're made for big, heavy swings, not quick controlled strikes and parries.

To be fair, there probably should be a separate weapon type now for "cutlass" or "saber" (which, like Rapiers, would be Finessable and Swashable non-light weapons) that includes swords that are currently categorized as "scimitars", but more closely resemble light curved slashing blades designed for quick close-quarter swordfighting than true scimitars, which are heavier curved slashing blades designed for cavalry. But realistically, there's plenty enough options for Swashing as it is right now without getting semantic about it
    Longswords are not called hand and a half swords, Bastard Swords are called hand and a half swords, the Longsword is a one handed weapon generally used with a shield throughout history, the Cutlass and Sabre are lighter evolutions developed after firearms made metal armor obsolete, and for specialized uses like Horse back, and Naval warfare. Long Sword fighting most definitely includes parrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2UkdEPYcrY
    long sword and shield fairly pwning a bastard sword user
    Last edited by IronClan; 07-06-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Community Member

Longswords are not called hand and a half swords, Bastard Swords are called hand and a half swords, the Longsword is a one handed weapon generally used with a shield throughout history, the Cutlass and Sabre are lighter evolutions developed after firearms made metal armor obsolete, and for specialized uses like Horse back, and Naval warfare. Long Sword fighting most definitely includes parrying.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

and specifically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classif..._bastard_sword

Its just wiki, yes, but it goes into fairly good depth with citations about how bastard sword is a subset of longsword (in real world use, not DDO). Longswords are hand and a half because they can be wielded onehanded (unlike Zweihander) but can also be grasped with a second hand to some meaningful effect (unlike short swords such as, eg, falcata or gladii).

Long sword fighting includes parries, but parries designed to counter other longswords - not the quick thrust and deflect of light-blade combat. Look at Olympic fencing, look at the swordplay in any pirate movie, and imagine trying to do that with a traditional longsword, one handed. My rotator cuff hurts just thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2UkdEPYcrY
    long sword and shield fairly pwning a bastard sword user
    Only by nobles and military which made shields standard issue. The rest of the populace used long swords stand alone, and they are crafted for hand and a half use.

Any sword style weapon where the blade+weapon is longer than the arm of the user will benefit from hand and a half use in combat, with training for such use. The rapier is the exception because the center of gravity is far closer to the users hand and is not some distance down the length of the blade as the CoG of a long sword would be.
    Last edited by Chai; 07-06-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Only by nobles and military which made shields standard issue. The rest of the populace used long swords stand alone, and they are crafted for hand and a half use.

Any sword style weapon where the blade+weapon is longer than the arm of the user will benefit from hand and a half use in combat, with training for such use. The rapier is the exception because the center of gravity is far closer to the users hand and is not some distance down the length of the blade as the CoG of a long sword would be.
    Bastard swords were crafted for hand and a half use and evolved from one handed swords, and like anything the terminology or category of sword they belong to EVOLVED (and isn't always agreed on), over time, in this case towards late medieval times. The long sword as depicted in D&D and DDO is a early long sword or one handed sword. We're talking about the Longsword in D&D. Hence we have a perfectly good term for one handed sword as well as a hand and a half sword... Long sword and Bastard sword. Now if you two want to get together and massage each others ability to read wiki's entries continue on

Savages and peasants could and did craft their own shields, look up Zulu warrior since you're already googling, Even stone age cultures had the ability to make shields. Barbarian cultures commonly used shields (Viking for example) a shield is FAR easier to make than a sword so the supposition (which is all you're doing) that only nobles and "military" used them is completely non factual.
    Last edited by IronClan; 07-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

i'd dissagree a bit..I own a well balanced long sword,more like a bastard style actully...and it is as fast as my katanas,in the practice room.the xtra weight of the heavy sword can be utilized at full speed,when properly balanced.Just like a good cutlass is designed,with heavy counterweight to balance and speed the bledestrikes.

*bladestrikes^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast