Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    The simplest solution is to check if your user name has admin privileges.
    Win7 has some quirks, even that is not always enough.. sometimes you have to login as the "administrator" not just be an administrator.
    New installs of DDO can sometimes be a PITA... and really a 3rd party loader...DDO should be all over getting the need for this addressed...
    which is unfortunate, how many times does some new person try to download something have it fail repeatedly for whatever reason and then say screwit I'll just play something else.. = lost revenue potential for DDO.
    Jotmon -
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 17/15,RC 14/30), Jotlock(HC 38/42,EC 36/36,IC 15/15, RC 0/30)..
    and several once viable raiding alts dumped into the packmule stables..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too bad I 'purchased' maximum character slots for my account, SSG has now chosen to cater the giveaway perks to benefit multiple freebie accounts instead of the paying customers.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    I haven't reinstalled in a long time, but if this is true, this is one of the lamest things I've ever seen in my life.

Seriously. In my whole life.
    Then seriously, be grateful. This doesn't even make a blip on my radar with the idiotic lame things I've had to deal with in my life. (and yes, I am referring to non gaming/game related experiences.)

The OP does point out very good feedback for Turbine. I doubt anything will come of it saddly.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Then seriously, be grateful. This doesn't even make a blip on my radar with the idiotic lame things I've had to deal with in my life. (and yes, I am referring to non gaming/game related experiences.)

The OP does point out very good feedback for Turbine. I doubt anything will come of it saddly.
    Perhaps if enough people are talking about it, and complaining about it, they will have to do something about it, as the post keeps floating to the top of the 'new posts' for a few weeks.

It's pretty stupid, for a company who (allegedly) wants to make money to scare away their customers like this. I wish they'd do something about it.

I wish they'd do something about it.
    I agree, I wish they would. History shows otherwise, however.

I gave up on recommending this game to any of my real life friends literally years ago. It's a shame, I enjoy the engine and the action, the character creation, but I don't want to be 'that guy' who tells people to play a broken game.

But nothing is ever done, and it's always broken.

Sadly, you're probably right. Turbine doesn't care about the broken parts; it seems like they're just milking it for whatever they can, now.

It's a real shame - I feel there's probably many like me who won't recommend a broken game; and for those who do, they're faced with incompetence like this.

I know Turbine doesn't bother to test things, and when they do 'test' things, they rarely bother to fix known issues, but this is really ridiculous.

It is no wonder the company and the game is losing people and going down the drain...

Community Member

I only have a problem with the DDO load once and a while. I use it because I don't have the skill necessary to assure myself the unofficial pre-loader is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I only have a problem with the DDO load once and a while. I use it because I don't have the skill necessary to assure myself the unofficial pre-loader is safe.
    Perhaps you should try deleting DDO entirely, and reinstalling and verifying if the OP is correct in all cases

I'm a-scared to.

And it sounds like, since you are considering the preloader, you are facing the dreaded 'takes two tries to log in' bug at least once...

Community Member

Perhaps you should try deleting DDO entirely, and reinstalling and verifying if the OP is correct in all cases

I'm a-scared to.

And it sounds like, since you are considering the preloader, you are facing the dreaded 'takes two tries to log in' bug at least once...
    I won't use the pre-loader unless my friend that can read machine language can verify it's safe. I hate to bother him with it.

I get the double login problem regulary only on my laptop which I don't use much. It doesn't happen much on my desktop. Overall, it's a fairly minor issue although I agree it's a really bad first impression for new players.

I am curious did you do the full install then play or did you try and do the play as it downloaded version. I just helped a friend set his up we did the full install. Had him start it before he went to bed and in the morning everything was ready to go. All games take a long time to download the first time. Hell wow one of the biggest names took me like 10 hours. I never do the play as it downloads it always seems to be missing that one area that holds you up.
    Fizbin - "How does that knock spell go? Ohh yeah Fireball!"
    Getterdone - Getting it done through all the gimp pugs
    Shaggiy - Looking for scooby

I won't use the pre-loader unless my friend that can read machine language can verify it's safe. I hate to bother him with it.

I get the double login problem regulary only on my laptop which I don't use much. It doesn't happen much on my desktop. Overall, it's a fairly minor issue although I agree it's a really bad first impression for new players.
    Did you even read the first post of this thread?

The double login bug is not the main issue being discussed here.

Imagine if you will, loading a game, and all you get is a silly icon on your task bar for hours. You click it, it does nothing... obviously, since you are not comfortable with your computer skills, you do not go check it out, you just task-manager close it (or reboot) and say the game doesn't even work.

THAT is the main issue.

Double login-bug is just more icing on the cake, and more proof that Turbine doesn't care.

I personally have not seen this new problem; as I haven't reinstalled in ages... but that is what the OP is talking about.

Though the hundreds if not, thousands of players using it. If it wasn't safe, someone would have said something by now.

Also, it's probably safer for your computer than anything Turbine can make...
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Community Member

Did you even read the first post of this thread?

The double login bug is not the main issue being discussed here.

Imagine if you will, loading a game, and all you get is a silly icon on your task bar for hours. You click it, it does nothing... obviously, since you are not comfortable with your computer skills, you do not go check it out, you just task-manager close it (or reboot) and say the game doesn't even work.

THAT is the main issue.

Double login-bug is just more icing on the cake, and more proof that Turbine doesn't care.

I personally have not seen this new problem; as I haven't reinstalled in ages... but that is what the OP is talking about.
    There are many things being talked about in this thread. I was commening on the unofficial pre-loader. I will delete and re-install on one machine and see what happens.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Though the hundreds if not, thousands of players using it. If it wasn't safe, someone would have said something by now.

Also, it's probably safer for your computer than anything Turbine can make...
    Absolutely not. People have been using TrueCrypt for ages thinking it was safe on versions of Windows other than XP and only learned recently their trust was misguided: http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Just because a vulnerability hasn't been exploited doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I don't have the knowledge to confirm whether it is or isn't safe, but I won't take it on faith. Turbine obviously wouldn't comment if they knew of any problems with the unofficial pre-loader because it could only open a can of worms for their customers. Turbine isn't perfect, but I feel more confident they would get the safety aspect right.

Then get yourself a text editor you can trust to not modify files on you like textpad++ or such. Load the character .dat file and scroll to the bottom. Close without saving, then launch DDO.

Same basic result as using the pre loader as all you are doing is forcing Windows and hardware to put the file into cache.

As for truecrypt comparison, the preloader is NO encrypter. What it does is MUCH easier to follow. If there was something going on, even Turbine would have spoken up about it by now to say nothing of fellow forumites. The source code for it is available after all. No need to read machine language, let alone I don't know anyone who does that on x86 machines. I used to do that for 8051/52s. Much rather decompile that into assembly to make sense of it though.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 07-07-2014 at 09:49 AM.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Why don't you tell us what the error messages are so we can help you?

http://support.turbine.com/link/port...lation-Updates
    This is general installation help

http://support.turbine.com/link/port...DDO-to-connect
    Windows firewall help

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...&deptID=24001&
    Submit a ticket, and get help direct from turbine and not us...

Also, you may have to install Akamai directly from their website. This may allow you to work around the problem. If you do this, please remember to uninstall Akamai from add/remove programs as this is not the version that comes with DDO. Once installed, and the launcher run and the game updated fully, then uninstalled, the game should place its own version of Akamai.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ssion-service?

There's a link there to the direct akamia download
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...mai-Agree-Loop
    This should help both issues talked about in this thread.

If a test lab using latest OS and the previous OS does not find this issue, then you will find very many complaints from older systems as they are out of the compatibility cycle. And currently that is win 8x and win7 latest. So for old win7 (pre sp1) and xp; you have to use workarounds because compat will 99% become an issue.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I absolutely understand when people hesitate to use a third party program in cases like this. I find it completely absurd that Turbine hasn't integrated the features of the third party loaders into their own launcher to avoid the double login bug.

And it's not at all a minor issue for me. If I get kicked out of DDO when I'm in the middle of a quest, the double login bug means that I will take more than 5 minutes to get back into the game and I won't get to resume the quest. Given how often DDO crashes, that's a big problem. It's why I use one of the pre-loaders.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12