Community Member

Default Why does Turbione punish VIP's?

A guildie wants to buy 1/2 orc onsale 75%. He's vip and store wont sell to him with show all items? LAME. Glad I dropped vip years ago and went full premium. He just had his main 2 toons locked up for a month and comes back to this. LAMEX2. Is there a way to do this or does the LAME status for VIP's stick?

Think you can buy from the site cant you! Not the store.

I thought VIP recv'd Half-races for free... one of the benefits of being VIP.
    WeiQuinn (Ranger 20/Epic 8) Syris (Ranger 18/Rogue 2/Epic 8) Torsade (Fighter 17) VaConMorte (Ranger 11/Monk 9/Epic 6) Neckron (Wizard 20/Epic 1) Shandrea (Ranger 15) Ryeva (Druid 12) Longthorne (Barbarian 6)

Quote Originally Posted by WeiQuinn View Post
    Well, if you want to convert from VIP to Premium you can't purchase Packs, Races and stuff while VIP.

You have to cancel first to unlock them.

Maybe that's what he wants to do.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by WeiQuinn View Post
    If VIP was free we'd all be VIP Sorry but VIP perks are not free. Do they get 1/2 orc if they don't pay? Its not free.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Well, if you want to convert from VIP to Premium you can't purchase Packs, Races and stuff while VIP.

You have to cancel first to unlock them.
    This is a very intentional mechanic that Turbine put in place to keep VIPs VIP and to make it more difficult for them to transition to Premium.

Imagine if while VIP you could take advantage of all the adventure pack and race sales that came along. You could slowly but surely purchase them all at 50% off (or whatever), until you had all you wanted. Then, you could simply drop VIP subscription, and continue playing all the packs (because you purchased them) as before.

However, if while VIP you cannot buy packs or races at all, but must drop VIP to buy them, it means when you do drop, chances are that you will pay full price for many packs right away. You would probably get the most important ones right away (at potentially full price) and then maybe wait for sales for the others. This would makes the transition from VIP to Premium much more costly to the player, and thereby encourages him to simply stay VIP.

In short, the system is set up to encourage VIPs to stay VIP (by making the transition to Premium more costly). Turbine wants that guaranteed monthly income.

All that said, it is simply a business decision they've made, and I certainly don't hold it against them. The bills need to get paid so that I can keep playing this game. I happily plunk down my $30 every three months to keep playing. I've tried lots of other MMOs, and nothing is anywhere near as awesome as DDO.
    Heroes and Marauders || Static Group Thursdays 8-10 ET & Sundays 7-10 ET || Clyyde (wizard/rogue), Meensc (arcane archer), Nynaave (melee divine), , Greantun (arti)
    Former heroes or marauders that we will remember fondly:
    Tagez - famous for running off in the wrong direction but always ending up with one of us unwittingly following him.

Argonnessen: Totalle (16 bard, 2 fighter, 2 rogue swashbuckler), Catteras (20 SORC), Paularubia (18 paladin, 2 fighter sword and board brawler)

Quote Originally Posted by Catteras View Post
    This is a very intentional mechanic that Turbine put in place to keep VIPs VIP and to make it more difficult for them to transition to Premium.
    Incorrect. It was put in place to prevent duplicate purchases of account unlocks. Since VIP have these items unlocked as part of their subscription they are effected. I have read recently that someone mentioned you can contact account support to make the purchase that way.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Catteras View Post
    I think you're assuming too much. It may just be a system limitation that would be too difficult to change. I'm not convinced it's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Illethian View Post
    A guildie wants to buy 1/2 orc onsale 75%. He's vip and store wont sell to him with show all items? LAME. Glad I dropped vip years ago and went full premium. He just had his main 2 toons locked up for a month and comes back to this. LAMEX2. Is there a way to do this or does the LAME status for VIP's stick?
    if hes VIP, why does he want to buy it? maybe he went VIP so he could get the perks and access to most content saving his 500 free VIP points plus whatever favor points along the way to buy paid for stuff? that's why Turbine doesn't allow people to buy what is covered under their sub.

The mans puttn you down man! The man kicks the vip in the shins maaan!! Down with corporation maaan!!

(Now picture a stoned hippy saying that.)
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    if hes VIP, why does he want to buy it? maybe he went VIP so he could get the perks and access to most content saving his 500 free VIP points plus whatever favor points along the way to buy paid for stuff? that's why Turbine doesn't allow people to buy what is covered under their sub.
    Doing VIP for a month or two is a good way to try out the entire game with most content unlocked to see what theyre really getting. If they find it worth it, that's when they can go premium and drop a lump sum on the content they want.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Yeah, I think so too.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default vip

This was a system put in place to prevent people from wasting their Turbine Points by purchasing things they already owned (many did, many complained). Call Customer Support, they can help with the Purchase......
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Next to the search bar in store, make sure show all items is selected.

Always do this, because content is removed after vip. You wont be able to play races that you havnt bought.

Some links, such as sales, just dont exist. The store is bugged