Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Default Returning Player (1 year) anything new?

Been gone since last July (medical and computer reasons), any bullet points of anything new I really need to look into?

When I left I'd purchased most or all of the content, was sad about losing the old lotteries, was beginning to have trouble mostly soloing some of the newest content and was still sorting out the (then new) destiny lines. Main character was (is still i guess) a Pally(25). Know about the level cap, will read release notes.

I see Cove is back, no new items? (I love the cove).

Anything major?

Thanks!

Community Member

The biggest change is the Enhancement Pass that happened back in Update 19. All of your old enhancements and the old system for them? Gone. There is now a multi-tree format for Enhancements instead. In addition, the cap has been raised to 28.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    Been gone since last July (medical and computer reasons), any bullet points of anything new I really need to look into?

When I left I'd purchased most or all of the content, was sad about losing the old lotteries, was beginning to have trouble mostly soloing some of the newest content and was still sorting out the (then new) destiny lines. Main character was (is still i guess) a Pally(25). Know about the level cap, will read release notes.

I see Cove is back, no new items? (I love the cove).

Anything major?

Thanks!

http://ddowiki.com/page/News

This page will tell you everything that's changed - in detail since you left.

Yes, a lot has changed.

Also they are discussing buffing paladins, since you play one you might want to check out this thread -

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...aladin-Changes

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    http://ddowiki.com/page/News

This page will tell you everything that's changed - in detail since you left.

Yes, a lot has changed.

Also they are discussing buffing paladins, since you play one you might want to check out this thread -

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...aladin-Changes
    Excellent! Was looking for the right Wiki page...and thanks for the link for Paladins, my Main and Second are(were) pallies and although fairly survivable I was frustrated at their limits, but too long invested to switch....

Biggest news is that MajMal dumped us for LOTR
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Biggest change of the last year was Update 19, which added the second FR expansion (Shadowfell) and Iconic Heroes, raised the level cap to 28 (and added new ED feats), and totally revamped the Enhancement System. You should probably just read the wiki about them.

Other significant changes:
    • Added two new forms of Reincarnation: Iconic True Reincarnation (ITR) and Epic Reincarnation (ER or ETR, though I dislike the latter acronym, as it's inaccurate), with new past life feats to go with both.
    • Added Divine Crusader (Divine ED) and Swashbuckler (bard PrE). Also added Single Weapon Fighting (SWF) feats which have significant synergies with Swashbucklers.
    • Thunder-forging is the latest-n-greatest crafting system, based on the two new endgame raids in Thunderholme.
    • Epic-fied Three Barrel Cove (and Storm the Beaches).
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

You should also log in with a bunch of items. 1 of which being a +20 LR heart. This will allow you to respect your old characters with the newest stuff. Also you should have raider boxes. The raider boxes allow you to pick a free item from the Caught in the Web raid.

I think given your class choice, your best bet may be to buy the bladeforged iconic so when you tr your pallys, you can pick the current 12/6/2 lines. Whatever/Paladin/monk, or whatever/monk/paladin, etc.

The idea being the cha saves from paladin, some minor defensive boosts, the monks evasion and stances (which require feats), then whatever offensive line you can fit in. Most take fighter so they can go kensai and synergize their monk moves with melee weapons.

Given the freebie from the raiders box, you could go strong with the bsword nightmare. Also fighter pally combo is the only way to get super high ac (pally/fighter/wizard).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    Biggest news is that MajMal dumped us for LOTR
    That is indeed sad.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Biggest change of the last year was Update 19, which added the second FR expansion (Shadowfell) and Iconic Heroes, raised the level cap to 28 (and added new ED feats), and totally revamped the Enhancement System. You should probably just read the wiki about them.

Other significant changes:
    • Added two new forms of Reincarnation: Iconic True Reincarnation (ITR) and Epic Reincarnation (ER or ETR, though I dislike the latter acronym, as it's inaccurate), with new past life feats to go with both.
    • Added Divine Crusader (Divine ED) and Swashbuckler (bard PrE). Also added Single Weapon Fighting (SWF) feats which have significant synergies with Swashbucklers.
    • Thunder-forging is the latest-n-greatest crafting system, based on the two new endgame raids in Thunderholme.
    • Epic-fied Three Barrel Cove (and Storm the Beaches).
    IIRC I was here for the release of 19, and took on a set of new enhancements for my main (although I don't think I got to test 'em much and no doubt they're all poor choices now ).

Divine Crusader looks interesting, work well for pallies?, any advice or source of discussion appreciated. (I've never been a big fan of "stacks").

Thunder forging requires raiding? IIRC back in the day it was sometimes tough to get greensteel runs - I hope the same isn't true for this.

3BC and Storming Beaches Epic looks fun!

In the past, I'd tended to stay away from TR'ing both because I didn't want to have to "relive" my characters (past life feats weren't enough incentive) and because I felt they made it too hard to get hearts after they stopped the old lottery, but I'll look closely at it if I need to/want to move to a newer/better/different buikd,

(one of my Alts is a bard, might be interesting to explore the new Swashbuckler PrE.)

Thunder forging requires raiding? IIRC back in the day it was sometimes tough to get greensteel runs - I hope the same isn't true for this.
    Can't say I've seen a pug raid for either of the new raids since the first few weeks after they came out. I've been in them with three other curious folks to see them (and die shortly thereafter), but we only went for a look, knowing we weren't going to get in a group anyway because we didn't already "know it". So maybe the raids are good, I dunno. But Thunderforged I've just given up on seeing, just like Alchemical weapons from Cannith raids, which I've also never seen a PuG group for after the first few weeks. We've tried putting up PuGs ourselves, but being honest ("we don't know it, lets try anyway!") didn't generate any interest at all.

To which I say: Argo, honestly, at the moment for PuGging, you really suck. Grow some balls and take a risk or two why don't you? /sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    You should also log in with a bunch of items. 1 of which being a +20 LR heart. This will allow you to respect your old characters with the newest stuff. Also you should have raider boxes. The raider boxes allow you to pick a free item from the Caught in the Web raid.

I think given your class choice, your best bet may be to buy the bladeforged iconic so when you tr your pallys, you can pick the current 12/6/2 lines. Whatever/Paladin/monk, or whatever/monk/paladin, etc.

The idea being the cha saves from paladin, some minor defensive boosts, the monks evasion and stances (which require feats), then whatever offensive line you can fit in. Most take fighter so they can go kensai and synergize their monk moves with melee weapons.

Given the freebie from the raiders box, you could go strong with the bsword nightmare. Also fighter pally combo is the only way to get super high ac (pally/fighter/wizard).
    Saw the raiders box(es), LR's and a Red Aniiversary box. I don't recall if you can open those boxes just to look so knowing that its from Caught In The Web helps me know what will be available in 'em.

I had tended in the past to go for pure classes for simplicity and minimum button mashing but I can see your point. Because of my playstyle and some past familairity I'd probably be better suited to pally/fighter/wizard w/bsword. Excuse my ignorance, but what does Wizard bring to the Pally/Fighter build and can you suggest a good source for build ideas?

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Saw the raiders box(es), LR's and a Red Aniiversary box. I don't recall if you can open those boxes just to look so knowing that its from Caught In The Web helps me know what will be available in 'em.

I had tended in the past to go for pure classes for simplicity and minimum button mashing but I can see your point. Because of my playstyle and some past familairity I'd probably be better suited to pally/fighter/wizard w/bsword. Excuse my ignorance, but what does Wizard bring to the Pally/Fighter build and can you suggest a good source for build ideas?
    You can check the barter box content without taking the item.

Eldritch Knight. http://ddowiki.com/page/Wizard_Eldri...t_enhancements
    Its mage armor and shield SLA boosts your bonus from those items by 20 and 15% respectively. So very useful for S&B builds. If you dropped Pally and took bard, you could wield a buckler, be in stalwart and swashbuckling, and get the mage armor and shield sla's. Thus giving you the right dodge boost and ac pumping that most armor builds don't get but sorely need.

However for a pally/fighter/wiz build? Definitely too many to go into. Say you did 6 wiz, 12 fighter, 2 pally? This would allow you to dip into pally slightly for some boosting to ac from syberis, deeply from stalwart for defensive, but enough left over could allow tier 5 EK and enough to go vampire the entire time. Of course you wouldn't be able to use a shield for swf, so there is that. But you would be able to use an orb. I built a fighter/wiz/rogue (for trapping) on lam and it had pretty nice stats all things considered.

Here are various builds from the multi-classing subforum.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...he-better-tank
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-and-Lightning
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-for-32-points
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ght-build-idea
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ldritch-Knight

Something you will notice there and cropping up: As turbine released new enhancements, new builds come up as top builds. So EK/Swashbuckler is pretty strong right now since they were the last two trees added.